Which one is your favourite?

• What's a Nice Girl like You Doing in a Place like This?

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • It's Not Just You, Murray!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • The Big Shave (Viet '67)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
As a rule, student films are unanimously shit.

Think of a random, beloved filmmaker, like say David Cronenberg or Darren Aronofsky (okay, Protozoa is actually pretty promising (and has young Lucy Liu in it!))... Shit. Lars von Trier? Shit. It's a really big deal when they don't suck, like this one Robert Zemeckis did at USC (his second though - shit). You get the idea.

Then there's this motherfucker Martin Scorsese:

young-martin-scorsese-in-black-coat-and-checkered-buttondown-head-shot-photo-u1

He made three shorts while at NYU, and they're all just confident and thorough and there. The guy making them already knows more than all his teachers. They are, as follows...

What's a Nice Girl like You Doing in a Place like This? (1963)

Written and directed by Scorsese at 21, this 9 minute short follows a writer fixated on a painting he's bought. It's my favourite one, despite the Fellini-eqsue waffle ending. Frankly, it's stupid good as a first attempt.

It's Not Just You, Murray! (1964)

Same deal as the above, but 22 year old Scorsese and 15 minutes long. This one has a fully fledged musical number (in a motherfucking student short), and is kind of a blueprint for future work (in that it follows the rise and fall of a criminal empire).

The Big Shave (alternative title: Viet '67) (1967)

This is a 25 year old Scorsese doing his MA. The short is five minutes long and as of yet, his only attempt at horror. It's his most famous / lauded student film.

ANYWAY --

What did you think of these? Had you seen them before? Which one was your favourite? You can't do anything to me if these are old - I know they're fucking old. They're from the 60s!

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
I'm going to watch everything you linked except the Scorsese's, to make myself feel better about my student films being terible.

Last edited:

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
You can see Cronenberg learning the craft in his early shorts. I think you can even hear him off camera directing in his first? Maybe just to say cut.

I will say, unless I am remembering it wrong I thought Lara's student films were impressive. Leagues better than work that I or my fellow peers at film school could have produced anyways.

Scorsese stuff is on another level, though.

It's hard making a film.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Haven't seen or heard of the others, but I came across The Big Shave while looking for another short film I'd seen as a kid on a PBS show called The Short List, which sadly I still haven't found. It involved a barber shaving a man with a straight razor, the punchline was that after the barber finished his job and stepped outside, all the streetlights suddenly started dimming from something using a lot of electricity. The guy was being prepped for the electric chair.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
snoop-dogg.gif

I watched The Big Shave earlier this year and didn't breathe for 5 minutes. Just imagine what a Scorsese 70s horror feature could've been.