ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This has been blowing up around illustration and animation Twitter:

I highlighted the important bit:
One of their recommendations for CA students was LMST 365F Topics in LMST: Manga & Anime. As most of you are aware, the CA Department as a major does not allow or appreciate that genre of work, and it was not recommended by us that you take that course. If you do decide to take it, please keep in mind that any work you do in this major that has the obvious influence of that style will not be approved.
Here's a discord of Tweets talking about this: https://twitter.com/i/moments/1058015732569686017

This is depressing but unsurprising, given the numerous stories we've all mostly heard about art professors being strict about sticking to basic fundamentals of art. What I don't get is the outright rejection of any art that was influenced by anime and manga. Are teachers really not seeing the art styles in cartoons that are now being put out?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's a balance. A lot of weebs get stuck drawing "anime" style trying to emulate their favorite anime while ignoring basic important shit that is fundamental to developing their own style. People who submit portfolios only full of anime to get into an art school are a problem. The school wants to know if you can do stuff like still life more than how closely you can copy Dragonball Z.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most art professors are the guys who couldn't make it in the industry. Don't go to art school.

Also don't draw anime and expect to make a career out of it. Sorry.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
In art classes you do what the teachers want to get the grade. It happens.

theres a difference between art classes and classes at art school. in no way what those teachers are doing above okay in any way

Most art professors are the guys who couldn't make it in the industry. Don't go to art school.

Also don't draw anime and expect to make a career out of it. Sorry.

funny, because the op shows people and shows that are making a career out of it. sorry.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
I mean there's a balance. A lot of weebs get stuck drawing "anime" style trying to emulate their favorite anime while ignoring basic important shit that is fundamental to developing their own style.
As someone who's trying to learn how to draw manga style, what fundamentals do you think someone would need? I've got body proportions and muscles to a recognizable state but when I'm not drawing from reference I have trouble getting the little details right.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully in some years anime will be an accepted style of stylized art.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Art teachers don't think Anime is ugly, they know that students in America will not be able to build careers on Japanese styles

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's trying to learn how to draw manga style, what fundamentals do you think someone would need? I've got body proportions and muscles to a recognizable state but when I'm not drawing from reference I have trouble getting the little details right.
Best way is to draw still life of real people and understanding the body, perspective, light, etc. Once you have a strong idea of those things then you have a reference point to start getting more abstract or stylized. The best manga artists and animators usually have a strong foundation in this aspect.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think its because ten years ago it was still a unknown thing to most art teachers that they didn't know how to grade properly. It doesn't help that these type of books were the norm back then being sold in book fairs.
16861010626.jpg

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It could have just been "this class doesn't get credit towards your major" but he went well beyond that

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Art teachers should know better than to single out anime as a problem when, as educators, they're better positioned than most people to understand that a lack of fundamentals is the real issue with students who draw nothing but crappy anime-influenced art. All styles look like trash when you don't know what you're doing.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That seems super petty and ignorant. Peña's tweet perfectly shows that.

At least Dragonball Z should be fine.

Apr 16, 2018
The most popular American cartoons emulate the anime style nowadays too.

It's the most popular comic industry in the world.

Why wouldn't they?

But yeah, if you're in art school, you probably already took an L

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
So just roll over and take it? What's your point? "It happens" means we should ensure it keeps happening? A specious circular argument that offers nothing of value to a discussion.
Most of the time when I see people complaining about their professors "not accepting" their anime art, it comes from an artist who draws nothing but anime art. It's not a realistic expectation for a professor to always accept it. If a teacher tells you to draw a realistic building and you draw a cartoony house, you won't get the grade. Art is subjective and therefore a professor is not going to be objective no matter what you do. Get the degree or cert or whatever and build your fundamental skills. Once you get the grades and portfolio, then you can draw whatever you want.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I got my bachelor's in Illustration in about three years ago and this was definitely a thing. I have mixed feelings about it. In my experience I found that professors usually used "anime / manga" to describe a very specific kind of student, the ones who typically refused to learn figure and perspective and were sort of stuck poorly replicating whatever their favorite anime or comic was. If a student presented work like in my avatar though, that would fly no problem. I really do agree that there is a bias especially with older professors and that it's a problem and unfairly shames or secludes artists for liking what they like. That being said? A lot of the students I knew that were hyper into anime and manga styles came out the other end better for it, including myself.

Last edited:

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
My advice is: don't study from anime before learning your fundamentals. Good anime and manga artists know the rules before they break them, it's like anything else creative.

That's as far as art teachers should go as far as dictating what style students use in their work, though it depends on the specific school and teachers when it comes to what they will teach and what they will accept. But if the specific assignment is realism, and you show up with some Akira Toriyama fan art, don't act like you didn't know what you were doing.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is from someone who has worked on Hermie.

I mean I dislike discrediting someone completely causes of their work...

...but I was forced to watch Hermie. It sucked.

And you suck for making it, Jim.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My advice is: don't study from anime before learning your fundamentals. Good anime and manga artists know the rules before they break them, it's like anything else creative.

That's as far as art teachers should go as far as dictating what style students use in their work, though it depends on the specific school and teachers when it comes to what they will teach and what they will accept. But if the specific assignment is realism, and you show up with some Akira Toriyama fan art, don't act like you didn't know what you were doing.

This this this. Learn yer damn fundamentals, then weeb it up.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
Best way is to draw still life of real people and understanding the body, perspective, light, etc. Once you have a strong idea of those things then you have a reference point to start getting more abstract or stylized. The best manga artists and animators usually have a strong foundation in this aspect.
Cool, thanks. Any idea of any resources I could use for that? Not really a lot of art programs in my town.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It is possible to like drawing anime and also have a grasp of the basics.

OP
OP
ElBoxy

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I had the red one, but it at least was decent compare to other books. It's not hard to understand the teacher's argurment when the anime boom happened, as many people tried to make a quick buck out of it.
ILl59.jpg
06-dklifvl-jpg.42068
dvRBQ6J.jpg
tumblr_lon886agvI1qmgcpwo1_500.jpg
The problem with these books is it's sticking to one style. "How to Draw Comics" books also have the same problem. Anime and manga isn't always big hair and eyes, and I to think teachers took that and ran with it. But then as a teacher you'd expect them to do some research. A poorly drawn anime/manga art is no different than other poorly drawn art.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I hate the idea anime is some standardized fare. I guess you can say there is a school of thought...

But Hiroakira, to Oda, to Takashi Shimada, to Toriyama...

C'mon, there is something to learn from the genre. Such a daft statement.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Jim is an old fogy, tons of artists putting out the current art grew up with anime/manga and their style is obviously influenced by it. No point is going against the current when the current already happened years ago.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this how any school is going to be? You practice the methods which your instructor teaches. Art students are not exempt from this.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Art classes typically ignore many art forms in favour of more classical or historical and western forms of art.

Like nearly every educationally department it's not inclusive of everything due to prior precedent

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not sure what people expect when they're going to school for art tbh

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Drawing anime style is fine, but if you don't have the basics down and are just using the style to disguise that fact then the teacher is probably in the right. You gotta know what the rules are and how to apply them before you start bending or breaking them. It's like that with pretty much every creative endeavor.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with these books is it's sticking to one style. "How to Draw Comics" books also have the same problem. Anime and manga isn't always big hair and eyes, and I to think teachers took that and ran with it. But then as a teacher you'd expect them to do some research. A poorly drawn anime/manga art is no different than other poorly drawn art.

Man, I forgot about these books, they were everywhere when I was a laddie.

Speaking of, new avatar for those that want it:
Untitled.png