• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else enjoying the Battle Arena Brawl? I was skeptical at first, but it was pretty fun. The worst one I played was all Medivhs. Otherwise it was a great time.

It's great in concept, but feels like it's falling flat to me. It's over so quick there might as well not be any objectives. Literal sub one minute games, and it's a complete stomp for one team every time.

Kioshen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not too sure what to think about the brawl. It's a nice distraction but I don't like mirror matches much so that doesn't do great for me.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I've been wrecking with Lucio lately, it's pretty interesting. Surprised to see Abathur on there, has his meta evolved (cough) recently?

Poor Murky.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recent ranked matches have been awful, lots of people trying heroes and just sayin "its silvers" to justifies thei plays is just so sad and stressful

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
You gotta get over the hump in ranked play where you train your brain to stop giving a shit and just play. Ranked just isn't for me, but I don't get stressed anymore when I do play it.

ScrubnMuhTub

Oct 25, 2017
NA
Hanzo can be crazy oppressive. I'd get him to 15%, watch him leap away and pick at me from max range. Ugh.

Rocking near 80% win rate with Diablo lately and it feels good. Thanks, bambam.

Last edited:

Poj

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Hanzo can be crazy oppressive. I'd get him to 15%, watch him keep away and pick at me from max range. Ugh.

Rocking near 80% w/o rate with Diablo lately and it feels good. Thanks, bambam.
I'm offended that this is the word you chose to use when describing a video game character. You know nothing about what real oppression is like. What it feels like and unsure if things will ever change or if life will be different someday. Absolutely shameful.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I'm offended that this is the word you chose to use when describing a video game character. You know nothing about what real oppression is like. What it feels like and unsure if things will ever change or if life will be different someday. Absolutely shameful.
fuck is your problem? Oppressive is a regular adjective that perfectly encapsulates what Scrub meant.

Poj

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
fuck is your problem? Oppressive is a regular adjective that perfectly encapsulates what Scrub meant.

What? How can "fuck" be a problem?

Oppressive is unjustly inflicting hardship or constraint, especially on a minority. I'm glad that it "perfectly encapsulates" what he was trying to say in your bigoted mind.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
What? How can "fuck" be a problem?

Oppressive is unjustly inflicting hardship or constraint, especially on a minority. I'm glad that it "perfectly encapsulates" what he was trying to say in your bigoted mind.
Oppression =/= oppressive. Oppression is what you're saying but something being oppressive isn't close to being of the same gravity.

And that my question lead with a uncapitalized f was intentional as clearly I left out "What the".

Poj

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
User was Warned: Trolling, Insulting other users
Oppression =/= oppressive. Oppression is what you're saying but something being oppressive isn't close to being of the same gravity.

And that my question lead with a uncapitalized f was intentional as clearly I left out "What the".
Please look up the meaning of the word "oppressive". Although I don't expect you to understand. You've already shown your blatant insensitivity.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
There are multiple meanings for the word and the meaning for words like that is usually derived from context. There is no way you can misinterpret this unless you are fucking with them

even with context your usage of "shameful" is ridiculous unless you literally thought that he was making some socio-political statement about this game, which would be shameful

i checked usages of the word because I was afraid I was using it improperly and nope: http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/oppressive

please understand that ppl use the word in video games to describe things that are relentless or overbearing, and try to figure out what ppl mean before deciding what they mean for them. I get bringing up words that bring the context with them but "oppressive" doesn't belong there yet

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Please look up the meaning of the word "oppressive". Although I don't expect you to understand. You've already shown your blatant insensitivity.
I actually checked about three times. Once before either post of mine and once more before hitting reply.

It's funny that I had already written out a response that started exactly the same as yours but thought to myself that'd be juvenile and changed it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please drop the derail on this subject. "Opressive" in the context of gameplay and game design is perfectly fine.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
lol drama over using the word oppresive? Im glad you never read one of my Silent Hill posts then

Oct 25, 2017
leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

ScrubnMuhTub

Oct 25, 2017
NA
The GIFs are on point. :LOL:

All that crazy aside, who are you guys winning with? I've been analyzing my hotslogs quite a bit and was pretty surprised at some of my own misunderstandings. Like, I thought I was doing well with Sonya, but came in around 10% winrate during some weeks. Greymane, too, with a 40% winrate, where I thought I was much stronger on that hero. Another big one was Zeratul. I thought I was coming in around 30-40% winrate but was actually much higher, around 65%.

Diablo surprised me the most at ~80% winrate. He feels very impactful. I don't see them nerfing him for competitive, but he's pretty gross when playing against lower ELO. I played with some friends who haven't been around for a while, and we were getting matched against ~Gold players and Diablo was just 100-0 some tanks. Taking Avatar Muradin down from 100% to 15% life in one combo is pretty fucking stupid (and amazing).

What are some other play-makers? ETC can do it. Diablo can do it. I'm kind of stuck otherwise - some of the heroes that I thought could hard carry (more than most) don't end up working that way in my hands. What works for you guys? Who are your go-to heroes when you are grouped with friends and want to have an impact on the game's outcome? For me, right now, it's definitely Diablo.

Poj

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The GIFs are on point. :LOL:

All that crazy aside, who are you guys winning with? I've been analyzing my hotslogs quite a bit and was pretty surprised at some of my own misunderstandings. Like, I thought I was doing well with Sonya, but came in around 10% winrate during some weeks. Greymane, too, with a 40% winrate, where I thought I was much stronger on that hero. Another big one was Zeratul. I thought I was coming in around 30-40% winrate but was actually much higher, around 65%.

Diablo surprised me the most at ~80% winrate. He feels very impactful. I don't see them nerfing him for competitive, but he's pretty gross when playing against lower ELO. I played with some friends who haven't been around for a while, and we were getting matched against ~Gold players and Diablo was just 100-0 some tanks. Taking Avatar Muradin down from 100% to 15% life in one combo is pretty fucking stupid (and amazing).

What are some other play-makers? ETC can do it. Diablo can do it. I'm kind of stuck otherwise - some of the heroes that I thought could hard carry (more than most) don't end up working that way in my hands. What works for you guys? Who are your go-to heroes when you are grouped with friends and want to have an impact on the game's outcome? For me, right now, it's definitely Diablo.

I've been doing really well with Junkrat. Ridiculous range. Played a game against a Genji that tried all match to kill me. Junkrat can be so slippery and escape in ways that really frustrates the other team.

ScrubnMuhTub

Oct 25, 2017
NA
I played some Malf last night, and did terribly. Meanwhile Kire was making huge plays and doing great damage as Malf. I had the right build, but what's the secret? My healing felt like shit and my damage sucked, too. I was never in a good spot to make a big play with Twilight, either.

OP
OP
Mayordolo

Mayordolo

Oct 25, 2017
Going on record as hopeful that early 2018 sees some modifications to structures and/or minion damage to smooth out the snowbally nature of the big changes.

Also please let Firebat be relevant as a hero and not underpowered on release.

ScrubnMuhTub

Oct 25, 2017
NA
Pro I'm super pumped about Sonya == Xul and Artanis == Garrosh. Makes for fun QM experience.

Got my hands on Hanzo today. Did first five levels in AI (as usual) and then got pooped on for another two levels in QM before I got savvy. I'm not a fan of Q build in QM. I also think the team has to have some threatening heroes on it to prevent people from just going ham on you, allowing you to poke. I really love his trait. Despite all of the bad press, I feel like it's very responsive and very, very useful. I use cast on release and it helps me get an idea of when to expect the leap to work. Not a huge fan of tier 13, because your damage spikes are 7 and 16, basically, and that's a long time to wait.

TLDR: IMO Hanzo is a late game hero who spikes hard at 16 and is good on maps with focus objectives.

PS: Love the Dragon Arrow ult. I like his talent choices at 20, also. The armor removal at 20 is pretty brutal going in to Garrosh, for example. I've also made huge value out of the Sonic Arrow stun v/s ETC and some others, to great effect. Pretty diverse and unusual picks at 20 and I enjoy their niche applications for the late game. Changes engages quite a bit.

PSS: I only like the Scatter build, and that's probably because every team I'm on in QM doesn't have wave clear.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Nerfing an entire class of heroes at once was a stupid change. Not changing QM matchmaking rules was also idiotic.
I disagree, nerfing them all at once was the only solution to dissuading the playerbase from double support. If they nerfed each hero separately it would have been way messier, and would also ruin the heroes they fuck over the most and push others into OP territory. You bring them all down equally and their power level is largely unchanged in relation to their fellow supports. And guess what? Supports are still good, and I am seeing almost no double support comps in draft modes anymore. Problem solved? Maybe.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Support nerf seems largely successful from what I can tell. It has dissuaded people from using double support (but not entirely killed it) while still having supports on your team being a valuable part of the team that you can't go without.

QM is still going to QM though.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
matchup rules are the weirdest thing about QM IMO

just gotta define those roles better, like alarak = sonya is just weird

other than that QM is pretty par for the course

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's pretty lucky that hanzo came out around now, i dont really notice the mm woes cuz im just having fun playing this guy

ScrubnMuhTub

Oct 25, 2017
NA
Wonderrade alarak = sonya isn't weird, it's wrong.

There are a lot of those that are ruining the QM experience. Xul = Sonya is one. I saw Artanis = Garrosh, too. How Blizzard thinks Sonya is a bruiser but Artanis is a tank is beyond me - seems like the most even matchup is Artanis vs Sonya, yes? Maybe throw Dehaka in there, too?

Ugh. Alarak is closer to Kerrigan than to Sonya, but Kerrigan goes v/s Thrall, right?

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
How mouth breathing, spittle drooling, brain dead DUMB do you have to be to lose Cursed Hollow in Player vs AI?

Sorry but I just played a match where it was just me and one other player going after the tribute and losing it against 4+ enemy heroes every time, while the other players on our team just kept attacking the enemy forts not getting anywhere.

Last edited: