DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Long story short my 2006 Ford Focus is dead and the cost to fix it would be around what I could have sold it for. I'd hoped it could have survived a bit longer as now is a terrible time to buy a car and I don't have much money, but I am car-less so it's got to be now.

I'm looking for recommendations: what to try to get, where to buy. I want a small hatchback, used or new, as cheap as I can get it. I want nothing fancy, I'd be happy to toss every bell and whistle out the door. I just want something solid and reliable.

Any help?

Oct 27, 2017
A few details would help:
  • Approximate area you live. State or metro area is fine. Just to get an idea of what your market has available.
  • How much can you afford and are you buying in cash or financing?
  • How much do you drive?

OP
OP
DragonKeeper

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
It needs the transmission replaced so between 5 and 6 thousand, plus what I already owe the mechanic. I'm cutting my losses.

I'm in Illinois, closer to Chicago than Springfield.
It would be a painful bite out of my savings, but I could go $25,000. I would much much rather keep it under $20,000.
I'm paying it off up front. Forget the blood letting of financing.
I don't drive much, mostly around town with the rare foray further afield.
Oh, also, automatic transmission. I never learned to drive manual and I'm not interested in trying it now.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I have a 2009 Honda Fit, recommended if you're looking for small and hatchback. Decent mileage, can park anywhere.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
It needs the transmission replaced so between 5 and 6 thousand, plus what I already owe the mechanic. I'm cutting my losses.

It would be a painful bite out of my savings, but I could go $25,000. I would much much rather keep it under $20,000.
Oh, also, automatic transmission. I never learned to drive manual and I'm not interested in trying it now.
A used Honda Civic hatchback might fit the bill for you. A Honda Fit would also fit the bill and is smaller than the Civic

I'm looking on TrueCar and I'm seeing a decent amount of used Civic and Fit hatchback options below $20k in the Chicago area. The Civics from 2017 onwards should also have Apple CarPlay/Android Auto IIRC

Toyota Prius and Corolla hatchback are other options too with availability below $20k

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

You can get a lightly used Prius for that much. Its a hatchback and gets good fuel economy. They're also reliable.

Other alternatives is a Corolla hatchback or Civic hatchback.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Hyundai Tucson 2025 base trim. Around $24k with potential 1.99% APR financing and $0 down, and the features plus interior looks like that of a car costing easily $10k more.

Factor in best warranty in the business plus no dealer mark-ups and it's just IMO the best option there is.

froday

Jul 29, 2018
Lots of good used Japanese cars can be found for under 20K easily. I love the Honda fit, really good gas mileage. It's not big, and its got some cabin noise, but a really solid car for the price.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I'll look into that one as well. I don't care about "nice interiors".
My non hatchback 2011 Corolla has been going strong with nearly zero issues since I got it. Just normal maintenance and had to replace the starter once. Not a head turner at all, but I needed something reliable after dealing with an extremely unreliable Jeep, and that's exactly what I got.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA

Go to a less expensive state to buy the car. Make sure it will pass the auto exam in Illinois.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
You sound like you want something reliable, I would say a used Toyota Corolla is your safest bet, the only problem is the Toyota tax (used Toyotas got for a lot more). I have had a couple older Hondas and they were great, but I don't drive that much.

OP
OP
DragonKeeper

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
You sound like you want something reliable, I would say a used Toyota Corolla is your safest bet, the only problem is the Toyota tax (used Toyotas got for a lot more). I have had a couple older Hondas and they were great, but I don't drive that much.
Yeah, I noticed the price differences. I've bookmarked a few things to check into.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
CCP.
Civic.
Corolla.
Prius.

First three used cars you should look at, and you can definitely find any of them within $25k. The most reliable out of those 3 is the Corolla.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
If you are paying for a car up front in cash we have very different definitions of not having much money.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's different in the Americas but I'm test driving a used Toyota Yaris hybrid later this morning. I'm in Europe and in fact I don't even know if the Yaris exists as a model in the US (the Prius is a really long hatchback here for example), I've read they were made by other manufacturer at some point so I don't know what it is like over there right now, but here it's a little hatchback with little hunger for gas and good performance supposedly.

Mine hasn't really died yet but it's showing signs and I'd rather replace it before or next longer (800km) trip later on holidays.

I'm eyeing this one that was top of the line back then (8 years ago) because of a couple extras I'd need and also because it's the only one in range is what I'm willing to spend on (below 15k for a used car, you can't find a lot of automatic hybrids in that range, even very used).
My biggest doubt is if it's even worth it to get a used car this "old" (8 years) but it is s Toyota and doesn't have a lot of use after all (below 70k km), seems well cared for, and mainly the budget, newer cars don't fit it unless they're quite used (100k+ km) and have much less comfort and security extras.

Other alternative I liked is the Honda Jazz but I don't know either if that exists over there with the same name. It's also a hybrid and is even more expensive than a Yaris.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I drive a Chevrolet movie theatre with an interior crocodile alligator finish. Definitely recommended for chasing prey up to 35 miles per hour!

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Civic sedan starts at 24k. That would be my pick. Then again, I prefer traditional powertrains to hybrid ones.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
If you don't have a lot of money I would try to save some of that 20k.

I think between 7.5 and 12.5 you should also be able to get a nice, low mileage Subaru Legacy, Outback or Forester. Just check for rust if you're in a state with lots of salt on the road during winter. The 3 liter 6 cilinder engines go forever. But the 2 liters are fine too, just don't get any of the turbo charged ones. More shit to go wrong, but that goes for any brand.

Don't buy Ford's welt belt garbage.

Research that term 'wet belt'. Do not buy any car that has it. Like, under no circumstances, I don't care if they give it to you for free.

Will also second the Toyota Corolla recommendation. (As long as there's no wet belt bullshit, but I don't think Toyota is dumb enough to have done that.)

Last edited:

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depending on how much of your budget you actually want to use, you could get a brand new Mazda 3 hatch for just under $25k, not counting tax etc.

There's also a used one for 21k about 30 miles outside of the Chicago area in Plainfield: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...d214&zip=60641#listing=396839185/NONE/DEFAULT

If you're open to non hatchbacks, I'd just get a Corolla or a civic.

Now when you say "hatchback" - I was going off a traditional hatch similar to the Focus. If you actually mean any vehicle with a hatch, like a crossover, then get a Hyundai. Some of the cheapest cars with the best warranty, and based on your posts it doesn't seem like features are super important to you. Here's a couple options in Glenview, IL:

New 2024 Hyundai Kona for $21.5k: https://www.napletonhyundaiglenview.com/auto/new-2024-hyundai-kona-se-awd-glenview-il/85923790/

New 2024 Hyundai Venue for $22.8k: https://www.napletonhyundaiglenview.com/auto/new-2024-hyundai-venue-sel-glenview-il/92812810/

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2009 Honda Fit, recommended if you're looking for small and hatchback. Decent mileage, can park anywhere.

I have the same car. Has 150k miles on it and it still runs great. Gives me no trouble other than expected normal maintenance. It's too bad they discontinued making these in the US, otherwise I would probably get another one when the time comes.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

Yep. OP, seriously do yourself a favor and stick with Toyota or Honda.

Yeah, I noticed the price differences. I've bookmarked a few things to check into.

The price difference is for a reason. Sometimes, it pays to pay a bit more. Most Hondas and Toyotas are extremely reliable as long as you take proper care of them, and can go WELL into the 200,000 mile mark. We gave my wife's old 2007 RAV4 to her sister some time ago. Sucker has over 240,000 miles on it at this point.

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
Toyota cars are the most consistently made out of any manufacturer, meaning they're made extremely well, so if you can find a hatchback by them even used, that would be my recommendation. Otherwise, Hondas are also very good (ignoring recent sticky steering wheels).

Nov 20, 2017
UK
Just got a Škoda Kamiq and I love it, but if it's city driving you're doing I'd probably avoid it. It's quite big, think it's classed as a compact SUV.

Other than that, VW Golf/Polo?