Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
store.steampowered.com

Heartworm on Steam

Pass through the threshold and enter a world born of memories. Defend yourself with a camera while solving death’s mysteries in a reverent evolution of 90’s survival horror, integrating both fixed cameras and over the shoulder perspectives.

Sam, fueled by her obsession with the deaths of those close to her, researches ways to contact the dead. She stumbles down a dark internet path, finding a message board with users discussing a house in the mountains that supposedly has some connection to the afterlife. However, no one who has visited the house has ever returned. Left with seemingly no other option as her obsession consumes her, Sam seeks out the house to find out for herself - no matter the consequence.

Heartworm is a game about the memories we keep and the ones we wish we could forget. It marries cinematic fixed camera survival-horror with low-rez, retro 3d graphics, a surreal suburban setting, and a chilling original soundtrack. These features combine with an emotional and psychologically-focused narrative to compose a nostalgia-charged love letter to late 90s genre progenitors Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Dino Crisis.

ss_1155b95a0ab8524f8b7247c5d1edd99cb262e709.600x338.jpg
ss_592709a7471320ed2e9889982ffa9bb1c4360f95.600x338.jpg
ss_a842d9f9be9427bb04de74a3c3a60cb241e74767.600x338.jpg

------------

Haven't had the chance to try it out myself yet but have heard good things about it. Wanted to share as people always seem to be on the lookout for stuff like this.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why is the demo only available for a limited time? I quite dislike this trend.

Still though, I didn't know of this game. So I am going to download it.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the link! Will check out how this runs on the Deck.
So, I can confirm that it runs flawlessly on the Deck.

The game is really good at imitating those old games in look and style. Down to the (optional) tank controls. What I am less a fan of is the save system. I died at the first confrontation with an enemy, and I had zero interest in replaying the 10 or so minutes until that same scene. That's also ignoring how much a game like this loses from repetition, as it's not a system driven thing but lives from scripted events. I can respect sticking close to the source material, but either have save rooms literally in front of every major confrontation, or have optional checkpoint-style saves. Choosing neither just ends with a super frustrating combo.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So, I can confirm that it runs flawlessly on the Deck.

The game is really good at imitating those old games in look and style. Down to the (optional) tank controls. What I am less a fan of is the save system. I died at the first confrontation with an enemy, and I had zero interest in replaying the 10 or so minutes until that same scene. That's also ignoring how much a game like this loses from repetition, as it's not a system driven thing but lives from scripted events. I can respect sticking close to the source material, but either have save rooms literally in front of every major confrontation, or have optional checkpoint-style saves. Choosing neither just ends with a super frustrating combo.
Gonna guess this is maybe something the actual game fixes but they figured the demo was short enough that it didn't need it?

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The demo became permanent and the dev released an update for it. The update fixes the weird settings that wouldn't save, adds quick turn, chapter select and other minor things.

I really like the demo and have played it a few times.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really wearing their influences on the sleeve! Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and then OG Tomb Raider design. It looks neat, will check out the demo if I get time and it's now on my wishlist. Is this a solo dev?