Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever i stream something on Netflix or Amazon (on my TV) which is in HDR (can i turn that off?) parts of the picture are blurry. Most often around the edges of the screen.
Is that normal?

Oh and everything is too damn dark...

beins

Oct 25, 2017
My TV has a separate mode it switches to when HDR content is displayed that has it's own picture settings that can be set differently from SDR modes. Maybe check if yours is similar. Maybe it is set to "HDR Effect" or something horrible.

OP
OP
Dralos

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
I have a LG 55UH605V from 2016.
Whenever something streams in HDR i cannot pick another picture mode in the settings.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It's either not calibrated correctly or the TV doesn't have great HDR. There are a lot of TVs that say they are HDR ready but kind of suck at it lol

But I would just go and mess with the settings for a bit and see if anything can be tweaked or a weird setting effect could be turned off.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Do you see this in all content? Some shows blur parts of the image for artistic reasons. The biggest culprit that comes to mind is Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I was watching that and thought something was wrong with my TV. I have seen other shows do it.

But if you see it on everything, and it is always in a specific location on your screen, yeah something is off.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I have a LG 55UH605V from 2016.
Whenever something streams in HDR i cannot pick another picture mode in the settings.

Someone else mentioned what I'm sure was this exact model of TV in gaming side claiming the picture was "dim" in games that used HDR and the consensus was that this was a bad model of television that technically had "HDR" but was really poor at it.

edit:

Close but not the exact same model. Some TVs are just really terrible at HDR.

double edit: review of your set:

www.rtings.com

LG UH6550 Review (55UH6550, 60UH6550, 65UH6550)

The LG UH6550 is a "4k" TV with slightly above average picture quality. It has a less accurate RGBW pixel structure which means that although it technically has ...

Slightly above average for a range of usage. Movies in a dark room are slightly worse than average due to the low native contrast ratio. Motion handling is worse than most other TVs. The picture remains accurate when viewed at an angle.

Cons: poor motion handling, dark scene performance, poor screen uniformity. It's the TV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dralos

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Do you see this in all content? Some shows blur parts of the image for artistic reasons. The biggest culprit that comes to mind is Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I was watching that and thought something was wrong with my TV. I have seen other shows do it.

But if you see it on everything, and it is always in a specific location on your screen, yeah something is off.
not all the time.
i noticed yesterday in Utopia.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bad HDR is a bit of a plague within the budget tv landscape. It usually makes things worse and not better if your TV can't reach 400 nits at minimum, and on some sets it's just outright bad. Worse, Smart TV functions will use those HDR settings and, in most cases, give you no chance to turn that bad HDR off when the SDR picture is outright better. In a lot of cases, you need a streaming box with its own internal setting to enable or disable HDR in order to get around it.

The whole experience gives HDR a bad reputation and makes consumers get headaches all because manufacturers crunched the numbers and knew they had to sell the TV with a big HDR logo on the box to be competitive.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
so it seems it has nothing to do with HDR? wow, why would they do this...
faceoff_shrug-DMID1-5ddz12023-400x400.gif

I would check other HDR sources though like on Youtube or a disc, if you have a 4K player. Just to rule out problems with the edge lighting in your panel.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
They use it loads in Sabrina, I figured it was just an artistic thing or cheap cameras.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I've seen it on a few TVs where you have to actually change a setting on the HDMI port to make sure the TV finds the right kind of cable or you have to specifically tell that port to use HDR. Some weird things.