Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019

Buckle in people, this is a ride. I watched the early Patreon version, and I really liked what I saw there. As someone that has actually watched the show, and gotten consistently frustrated with it over the years, this video is really cathartic.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could have told you that by the end of season 1. I dropped it after season 3

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy he finally got the whole thing out. It sounded like a real nightmare.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that's a long video, even for him.

Also I'm now noticing it says "disappointing" and not "bad" like his videos usually say. Curious.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Saw the Patreon early release. I never watched RWBY but this is fantastic as it covers lots of topics including self insertion writing, how to structure stories, how to draw influences, and more.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Wasn't season 6 a huge improvement?

I will always wonder how things would be in Monty didn't pass. They had some notes about what he wanted to do with it going forward, but we don't know how extensive they were or how closely they kept to them.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I like the characters and concepts of the series. A lot of the tracks i heard from the series are bangers. I think it was best i didn't really get past the beginning of Season 2 and stuck with the characterizations portrayed in BBTAG.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
I still to this day do not remotely understand how this series has the popularity/following it does

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017

I will always wonder how things would be in Monty didn't pass. They had some notes about what he wanted to do with it going forward, but we don't know how extensive they were or how closely they kept to them.

Each season feels like a reaction to the previous with small, incremental changes. S6 and 7 are probably the best the series has gotten.

I still to this day do not remotely understand how this series has the popularity/following it does

There's a ton of anime that I personality think are bad that are popular for inexplicable reasons (ex. Sword Art Online, Shield Hero, etc.).

Also, shipping. So. Much. Shipping.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to watch all that, but I fell off the show around the third season. Great music though.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly, i think it would be intresting to do a 2 hour long video on RT as a whole because man there is some things you can analyse/unpack

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
the first 2.5 volumes of RWBY are very hit or miss, but I think it gets better and better as it goes on starting from volume 4 aside from the back half of volume 5 hitting severe pacing issues that really brought down the volume as a whole.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019

Eh... I'd say season 6 was better, but, uh, its last few episodes weren't... well handled.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
the first 2.5 volumes of RWBY are very hit or miss, but I think it gets better and better as it goes on starting from volume 4 aside from the back half of volume 5 hitting severe pacing issues that really brought down the volume as a whole.
Agreed, besides fight cheography - Volume 6,7 are just better then 1,2 and maybe 3

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
A big problem that RWBY is now stuck with is that seasons 1 and 2 introduced -way- too many characters and the show is now playing a balancing act to give them equal time and proper development.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I always thought RWBY was a passion project that got big enough to last 8 years. Same way touhou and Homestuck did.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"WHY IS MY NAME SPELLED WITH A Q!?"

The So This is Basicallys are one of the few things that bring me absolute joy in this hell year we're currently occupying. My friends keep trying to get me to watch RWBY but they have a lot of the same caveats JA mentions in that video so I've never started.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Just added it to my watch later list. Can't wait to dig in, even though I know nothing about RWBY. The Pathologic episode was fantastic in that regard too.

Also, I hate to content beg but I hope now that this gargantuan video is out of the way we can get more smaller ones from his other "series" like Measured Response, etc. Feels like a lot of crazy shit has happened in the world since his last videos that tackled current events so it would be great to see more.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, besides fight cheography - Volume 6,7 are just better then 1,2 and maybe 3
Even then I'd say the current animators have basically 'caught up' to Monty so to speak. Personally I think Blake and Yang's fight at the end of Volume 6 is just as well choreographed as any of Monty's stuff, but also has really high emotional stakes for the characters involved as well as a satisfying progression making it my favorite fight in the series.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
A big problem that RWBY is now stuck with is that seasons 1 and 2 introduced -way- too many characters and the show is now playing a balancing act to give them equal time and proper development.

It's really not. They introduced a lot of interesting characters up front, but unless they're currently crucial to the plot they basically don't exist. There are plenty of characters we haven't even seen in a few seasons.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I missed you, Harris, I MISSED YOU!!!!! 20 minutes in, and I've laughed a lot.

"Characters dressed like Jim Sterling" made me choke on coffee.

Also, the Source Filmmaker bits are amazing!

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the blu ray of the first 5 seasons, and I just can't get into it. I've made it through season 1, and tried like 5 times to watch season 2, but keep losing interest.

And I know it's not the best way to judge it, but it just looks so dang bad.

I tried the manga, cause for some reason I thought it was supposed to be the story in comic form, but nope, just random side stories. It looks better though.

I'm happy other people like it, but I do not understand the love at all. It makes no sense to me.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
it's and indie thing that didn't have a lot of budget

and Monty animated it in Poser

FUCKING POSER

the move to Maya brought a significant improvement to the art

It's a shame it also resulted in the fight choreography tanking. Probably my only gripe with hbomb's video is he didn't cover the later seasons.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I watched RWBY up to season 3 and stopped. Not because I didn't like it but probably more because I decided not to keep up with it when waiting for S4. Honestly a lot of RT's stuff was like that for me around the same time.

The music, especially the first 2 season, is amazing and I still listen to it.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Did Coco come back in the later seasons? Stopped watching around season 4 or 5

While she doesn't appear in the show much, RT released two RWBY books with her as one of the protagonists.

51OdIra+pwL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
it's and indie thing that didn't have a lot of budget

and Monty animated it in Poser

FUCKING POSER

the move to Maya brought a significant improvement to the art
That's the thing though.
Monty's animation is actually not bad.
Even the old stuffs like Haloid may lack a lil bit of weight but otherwise I've seen so much worse than this from professional that I'm having a pb with that.
The non actionny part is dreadful in the lil I have seen of RWBY.
Like I think the old "Garfield 3D cartoons are better" bad
And for some reason (mainly because it was on Netflix once) I thought it was a regular anime that got popular.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the blu ray of the first 5 seasons, and I just can't get into it. I've made it through season 1, and tried like 5 times to watch season 2, but keep losing interest.

And I know it's not the best way to judge it, but it just looks so dang bad.

I tried the manga, cause for some reason I thought it was supposed to be the story in comic form, but nope, just random side stories. It looks better though.

I'm happy other people like it, but I do not understand the love at all. It makes no sense to me.

In my opinion, the first two volumes do not hold up well. Personally, I'd say give it until end of volume 3. If that still doesn't do it for you, then you could consider bailing out.

For me, it's obvious that the narrative has its flaws, but for an annual indie web series with not that many resources allocated to its production, I don't think it's that bad overall. I like the characters and their designs, the world is interesting, and I think the visuals have their charm where it counts. It looked really rough in the early volumes but has been getting better over time.

For comparison, here's volume 1's opening:

Here's volume 7's: