Oct 25, 2017
I think Limited consoles are cool, but I can't justify spending the money to buy another console just because it looks cool.

Kinda wanted to know if people who already owned the console have bought a limited edition of one, or if they are mostly relegated to late adopters.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have way too many limited edition DSs. I went through a phase of just collecting as many as I could because they were so cool.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. I've bought a limited edition of a console even though I already have a limited edition of that console, which I bought even though I already had a limited edition of that console, which I bought even though I already had a regular version console.

My DS/3DS collection is embarrassing. That said, collectable Nintendo shit holds its value extremely well, so I can basically get back what I paid for all of it.

If I could bring myself to part with any of them, that is.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary 3DS & Majora's Mask n3DS XL

yDccYr8.png

iYDFZqw.jpg

Aug 9, 2018
I was so close to getting that MGSV limited edition PS4 but ultimately decided against it. Same reason as you, couldn't justify it while already owning the console. Could've sold my console to partly fund the MGSV one but just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Yup, for the 3ds system. I own 3DSXL A Link Between Worlds, and the NN3DSXL MM.

Almost got the Hylian 3DS, and Metroid one too.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I haven't yet, but if they come out with a dope limited edition Fire Emblem console down the road, I'm in. The Awakening 3DS wasn't enough to pull me in though.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bought a used Assassins Creed White Vita off craigslist for 200 bucks like 2 years after it came out, and after I'd had a Vita since launch that I still played daily. Glad I did, it's one of my favorite LE consoles out there

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No limited ones after I already had, in general I'm not a fan of limited machines design's but I have been someone whose bought an old console new even after a new one was announced.

I've also bought a new model or revision even though my old one was working fine just to have the latest stuff. Just never anything for the limited edition stuff.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I got the limited edition Pokeball New 2DS XL, though that probably doesn't count because I had a launch 3DS and was thinking about upgrading anyway. I just thought that one was worth it especially.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I bought the spider-man PS4 Pro because I thought it looked really neat and traded in my older PS4 Pro. For 360 I had The gears special edition system, sold that and got the Halo 4 special edition system and then sold that and got the starwars special edition R2d2 system.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
I had so many DS / 3DS systems...

... Switch, I've gone from launch Switch, to Pikachu / Eevee Switch, to Animal Crossing Switch.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Sold my loud ass OG PS4 Pro to get the Spidey Edition. It was a great deal since it came with the full game + DLC for free. Plus, the console is beautiful.

Only issue I have now is that I can't bring myself to trade it up for the PS5 lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, bought an ice white GameCube despite already having a black one. Sold the black one.

xxr16xoyq0q31.jpg

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
The 20th anniversary PS4 is the only one that made me do that. And I will do it again if another as good of an edition comes out.

2yOJ7v5.jpg

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Only one. I already owned a slick black 3DS XL and thought I would be okay with just that...but then they announced the New 3DS XL Majora's Mask edition. I even bought it from a coworker that bought it but then wanted the Fire Emblem one that was coming out instead and hadn't touched it since he got it.

Absolutely worth it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Vita (2000) and PS4 (Pro).

I was going to buy the Switch Lite (Z&Z) because of its looks, but decided against it cause I barely take my Switch outdoors anyway, no need for it.

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
yeah I bought the white PS4 when it launched
713VSaQtFZL._SL1500_.jpg

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
For me its a waste of money and most of them look okay at best. I will take whatever the default colour is.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
DGtKoaVXcAAVxcl.0.jpg

Yes. But to be fair, it was technically an upgrade since I only owned a regular XL at the time.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Lucky enough to have one of these beauties. You had to win the right to buy to them (lol) through some online quiz thing Sony did. Those who answered the quickest were then sent an email confirming they succeeded and would receive a phone call to finalise the purchase (through GAME) the following day or whenever it was.

18aaf188-cc00-11e5-88a9-e66cf3398521.jpg

sddefault.jpg

I sold my launch PS4 to my friend once my purchase was confirmed.

Sadly the Anniversary PS4 has been gathering dust since PS4 Pro's launch. But it looks lovely just decoratively on the vertical stand.

The 20th anniversary PS4 is the only one that made me do that. And I will do it again if another as good of an edition comes out.
You know it.

OP
OP
TheChungusAmongUs
Oct 25, 2017
Going through the responses, noticing a lot of handhelds.

I think handhelds have a bit of leeway since they aren't as expensive as consoles.

Where as a lot of the second console purchases have people selling the original. Maybe I am just too lazy to sell one + transfer the data

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Bought a Halo Reach 360 slim complete with disc ejecting and power button sounds. Loved it.

Lucky enough to have one of these beauties. You had to win the right to buy to them (lol) through some online quiz thing Sony did. Those who answered the quickest were then sent an email confirming they succeeded and would receive a phone call to finalise the purchase (through GAME) the following day or whenever it was.

sddefault.jpg

Sadly the Anniversary PS4 has been gathering dust since PS4 Pro's launch. But it looks lovely just decoratively on the vertical stand.

You know it.

Weren't available on my side of the world, but with the Pro looming I probably would've hesitated. Then again, it would've gone into protected storage if I had purchased it.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
511ejue6ocl73kxb.jpg

The Fire Emblem Fates Limited Edition 3DSXL is the only thing about the game worth remembering. Oooh yeah.

I purchased it while I had one and got rid of the old one. I even had Nintendo put in the superior screens. I still have it and still love the design.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Handhelds were my weakness on this one. Several different Gameboy advances, way more DS/3DS consoles than I care to admit.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Several times. I'm on my 3rd limited editon PS4 with my current one being the 500 Million Edition. And I can't even begin to count how many handhelds.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I honestly can't conceive of having the money to throw around to make this even a decision I have the ability to make. I guess handhelds are borderline, but still nah.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Yeah I admit to getting that Animal Crossing Edition Switch, even though I had a perfectly fine og switch from around launch. No regrets

Gave my old one to my sister.

I lie and tell myself it was because of the battery lol.

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
no you could get it in North America. iirc it was a GameStop exclusive tho, they had a bunch of GameStop exclusive 3DSes/2DSes
yeah i remember the NES and SNES one, maybe a few other random ones. Guess I missed that one its awesome

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've got an LE console ever without already owning the console. Damn OP this is creating a complex for me now :p

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The PS4 Pro 500 Million Limited edition console and I don't regret it at all. See through AND Blue??? PlayStation knew my weakness and exploited it so I literally had no other choice. Still have my original Pro and Base PS4.
ps4-pro-500-million-bundle-system-ds4-us-10aug18

Last edited:

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, once and I'll never do it again, same for special edition games. Waste of money. It might be cool and all but every time I looked at it eventually, what the hell is the point then a new generation of consoles comes around and rams it home even more.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

sddefault.jpg

You know it.

Similar story.

Got one from the website and then sold my old one to my friend.

Still my primary console. No idea what I will do when the PS5 comes around with backwards compatibility. I will want to sell it, but I don't think i could part with it at the same cost of any other PS4 for a trade-in.

Putting it away in a box seems like a shame.

Edit:

Oh and I also sold my OG 3DS to a friend for this beauty when the New 3DS's came out:

newn3dsxl-monsterhunter4ultimate-hardware-front-1.jpg