• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Fans are idiots and devs that listen to fans are even bigger idiots. That's part of the reason the Sonic franchise got as low as it did.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao the fans were against the GoW remake until the previews started dropping in.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So can we all agree that the customer is always right?
Absolutely not. To your Switch example it's still gimmicky, though I'd call those features. They still do a lot of family friendly games, noteably more than the other console platform holders. Their hardware is also clearly weakest, it's easy spot from the ports. I do love my Switch, but I'm not one of those "fans" who have said what you described.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a time machine to use to go back and tell devs what to make before I knew what I wanted.

God of War 2018 is awesome, no it isn't what I wanted and I dont care.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I think fan opinion is more valid when figuring out what doesn't work in a video game rather than what to include. It's easier to criticize something and explain why it doesn't work than come up with a solution that fixes it. Fans do the former, Devs do the latter.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Generally speaking, developers should ignore the whims of fans. There are exceptions, like people clamouring for Sonic to return to the Genesis style, but overall fans are fickle, there is no consensus and they don't know what they want.

Mar 17, 2018
It goes both ways. This is a one-sided point of view. The devs are people that want things too, and they have a say in how things evolve. Devs are fans as well half the time.

But yes a lot of fans know what the community wants, and often times their collective advice is very good for projects.

Just look at how Warhawk was pretty much destroyed by Starhawk. No fans wanted that garbage.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Ahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahaha.......ah ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

No, but still vote with your walets against shitty microtransactions that don't belong, like in Star Wars BF 2.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
No, fans don't know what they want. Who exactly was clamouring for God of War to be exactly what it's become?
Yep, absolutely this. Also, mentioning things like "sales numbers" is pointless as the gaming market is continuously expanding and for console games, it also depends on how much your console sells. The best Wii U game would have failed in that regard.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think communication between fans and pubs/devs is cleaner than ever and the industry is smaller than ever. We see clear trends develop, reactions are bigger and the industry feels smaller. So we do see more attention to wanted changes and sequels

But we also see less new IP cause nobody can clearly articulate how that should occur and therefore there seems less demand for it

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, fans don't know what they want. Who exactly was clamouring for God of War to be exactly what it's become?
Quite a few including myself

Many talked about how awesome a Norse GOW would be. And I've always wanted the series to be more like the Zelda roots the original wanted to be and Jaffa talked of(but didn't quite meet)

Loakum

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair it DID smash records on steam as the best performing fighting game...at least for a while

Can you even call daddy kratos as the REAL kratos?! They did get rid of him! Sort of!
lol, Kratos is still the same Kratos of the previous installments. The latest God of War just revealed another side of him and made him likeable and relateable. The same way Dragonball Z done to The Prince of All Saiyans, Vegeta.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
EA have yet to realize that we need a new good old Command and Conquer game, so no, they have not realized the fans are right.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Fans are usually wrong. If Square Enix were to make a third Chrono game and base it specifically on what fans want for instance, it would be a carbon copy of Trigger instead of another game allowed to be its own thing like Cross was (listening to fans would likely even lead to that game getting retconned).

Feb 24, 2018
For me, sometimes individual fans can be right if they are also creativity talented. Like how John Carpenter was a fan of the Thing From Another World so made The Thing or times when fanon has been incorporated into canon or projects like Sonic Mania or Undertale or when the creator themself is the problem with the material and fans of the works step in to create something new like Star Trek 2 The Warth of Khan or Star Wars The Force Awakens.

However, most of the time I've found, fandom has a very limited mindset and often refuse or reject the idea of new things or concepts into a work, instead want the same thing over and over or like publishers, trend hop into wanting to make their favourite work to be like what else is popular at the time. This is why fans are usually terrible at casting and when stuff like the backlashes of famous superhero casting decisions are hilarious in hindsight. Or when a fans says this idea could be cool, it gets rejected because it hasn't happened or been explored in the lore therefore to them, it can't be (only for the idea to be explored and done well in the lore and they all act like hypocrites and say it was always a good idea).

This is because the pasta sauce analogy applies here the same as it does with publishers, there is no perfect pasta sauce, just perfect pasta sauces and people don't know if they like something or not unless they try it.

Oct 27, 2017
Fans are idiots and devs that listen to fans are even bigger idiots.

14hvnw.jpg

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
lol, Kratos is still the same Kratos of the previous installments. The latest God of War just revealed another side of him and made him likeable and relateable. The same way Dragonball Z done to The Prince of All Saiyans, Vegeta.
I mean of course, it's just that the new take on Kratos here and revealing this side of him is so effective that most Kratos haters can't even really object of his existence here, from what i saw at least, this game would be a VERY different game if you throw the old kratos here, even if you let everything else stay the same.
And woah the Vegeta comparison is so on-point!

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have had a dozen threads this week demanding that a variety of franchises receive "the God of War treatment". Yet, I can safely guess that nobody would've had the idea 5 years ago to give God of War "the God of War treatment".

Fans are blinded as consumers, blinded by their flights of fancy and lofty expectations. But above all, they're idiots who don't know what they actually want and listening to them will be a creative's ruin.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First of all, what are your methods of obtaining fan consensus on these topics?

Secondly, fans in gemeral weren't clamoring for current version of GoW... what are you talking about here?

Thirdly, no. The opinion of the majority of fans should never be taken seriously. Devs should always implement their vision. The role of fans is to play the final product, that's it.

As it has been proven time and time again for the most part, fans don't really know what they want. And design by comittee can result in something like FF XV. Let's not do that.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
User Warned: Offensive meme.
MOD Edit: Removed picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What a sad existence it would be to go to work everyday and make a game for the internet which will still bitch about whatever you do then for yourself and your coworkers.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Listening to fans is the worst thing a publisher could do. Listening to the market is what they're doing and it's a good move.

Feb 24, 2018
Lastly for me when it comes to a creation of a reboot or sequel, I disagree with the notion that it's a bad idea that a fan would be a terrible choice for this.

It it ignores that having these sorts of thing about people who have no idea of the source material can lead to very cynical works, works that alter stuff to the detriment of the source material or misses the point of the original and lacks the spark of the original

However it is true that in the case of most fans, they'd create something that would be completely isolating and impenetrable for non-fans to watch, fixate of canon and stories we've already explored and may end up with very fladerized versions of the character.

What you need to do is what is usually stated as what makes a great parody, you need to someone's who is both familiar and a fan of the source material, but is also willing to looking at the work with a critical eye (something a lot of fans struggle to do) and both acknowledge and chance parts that simply haven't aged well or don't work, able to laugh at and acknowledge the sillier aspects of the work and either embrace it or change it without it feeling mean spirited and is willing to bring in new ideas into the work to make it fresh rather then relying on the old already well walked on plots and ideas of the past. But most of all, someone who is able to pin point what excatly it is that made people love the original in the first place, the spark that made the work unique and is able to keep that spirit even with the changes and alterations.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania fans think SOTN is the best Castlevania game, so that's gonna be a no from me, dog.

Feb 24, 2018
Listening to fans is the worst thing a publisher could do. Listening to the market is what they're doing and it's a good move.
Listening to the market isn't the greatest move either in a lot of cases either, that can result in cynical cash grabs, trend hoping and mostly importantly in gaming, publisher ignoring the devs in order to appease to test audiences rather than what is actually good for the games themselves, often creating shallow and generic games.

This is why we good to many WOW wannabe MMOs or MOBAs, Military grey and brown FPSs or the Guitar Hero knock offs or when publishers declare "Survival horror /Single player/multiplayer/co-op/third person is dead!" only to find out they aren't, their just to busy making their games fit what the basic market numbers are telling them to realize their is no perfect pasta sauce.

AKA, why Resident Evil 6 exists.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Every God of War thread before the previews hit, was a shit show. They were cursing the games existence for 20 pages average. Nah man. I'm happy in this timeline.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they sit around thinking "What can we do to make what a small vocal minority of fans happy?" Instead are probably thinking "What can we make that will bring us the most amount of $$$?"

It just sort of happened that developers in the last few years happened to give (some) fans what they want. Personally i never cared for a FFVII Remake and that thing will probably turn out to be another Twin Snakes scenario where fans bitch and moan till the end of time at even the most minor changes that have been made, till the end of time. Assuming it even ever even comes out.

I'm sure Developers take feedback into account but Nintendo did not make BotW non linear because fans complained that SS sucked. They did it because they finally had decently powerful system to achieve what they wanted to do all along. RDR2 was always going to happen as will RDR3 and GTAVI. It has nothing to do with the fact that some fans might want it.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Devs shouldn't listen to fans. If they did, we wouldn't have gotten games like Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 7, or Wind Waker, which were all met with skepticism (some more than others) after their initial reveals.

Also most of the bad practices in this industry are down to the publishers, not the developers.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think it's a good idea that more games have betas, and that the devs have close contact to the community, through forums like this and their own sites. That being said, we make a very smal fraction of the overall market.

Gamers are super dedicated, and some go lengths to better the experience of certain games (e.g. I know who Durante is because of this)

But that being said, few - even within the hardcore community - has any idea about development from the inside, and that means we don't what devs are even capable of. It might have been that Nintendo wanted to try something new with Zelda, ala BotW, but couldn't in the past due to hardware limitations or financials (though I doubt that).

This can be said for a lot of things.

Whatever the case may be, I advocate for devs and publishers to have contact to the hardcore community that knows what fans love about their games (although certain things appeal to different people, few fans out hundreds of hours into games if it isn't for the very gameplay)

But developers are the pros. They know what can and can't be done, and I want them to push the boundaries of our collective imagination. Few things beat a great game, but one that surprises us on top that; that's what makes gaming really great!

Feb 24, 2018
I think the OP is blatantly wrong and that "the customer isn't always right," but I also don't really disagree with the notion that what fans want is almost always wrong, as there have been instances of games that have responded to criticism and been all the better for it IMO (a couple examples of this that I can think of off the top of my head are how the Pikmin sequels dealt with time limits, and how some competitive games introduce balance changes).

I think the the most prominent change along the lines of what OP is talking about can be seen with Nintendo, but my armchair analysis of what more likely happened there is that the old guard staff let the younger devs have more freedom with developing the games, leading to more fresh releases.

This is a great sum up (:

ViewtifulJux

Oct 25, 2017
If the fans were getting what they wanted then these boards wouldn't be filled with so much crying and moaning.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We wouldn't have God of War if devs listened to the "fans" so i was really surprised to see it used here as an example for your argument. Zelda "fans" around the time of BotW's release were also complaining a lot about the changes from the story focus of Skyward Sword.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I came into this topic expecting it to be about loot boxes and microtransactions. As for games they will only listen to fans after release which is fine by me.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I think it's ok to listen to fans to get a general direction, but nothing more. There's no unified voice for what's wanted, and ultimately what's wanted is usually a load of bullshit (rehashes that they'll then spit on for being a rehash).

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Nope.

I want artists to realize their visions, not pander to the fickle whims of the public.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fans are practically always wrong and should never be considered in the creative process

Unless they are talking about me, because my ideas are the best and very unique.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Devs who know what they want to make and know what they're doing know MUCH more than fans. Thank science SSM didn't listen to some fans when they decided to make the new GOW!

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Still waiting for F Zero and a Zelda game that follows the good old formula i actually like.
You say they are listening to their fans but they just seems to, successfully and ultimately that's all that matters, do whatever the fuck they want knowing that's what the next generation of fans wants to play, which is the best course of action. Oh and a few remakes of games that i have no intention of going back to of course, which again, are probably made to let new players experience old classics old farts like me are constantly praising (or not, i dislike crash for example).

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Listening to fans to make significant decisions can go quickly wrong in game development. Input of internal testers are naturally important, yes, but that of Reddit?

SusumuStreet

Jan 2, 2018
Lol the OP is a perfect distillation of 20-20 hindsight mixed with confirmation bias.

http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/149466049419/80-20-5

At times where you feel like the internet represents the entire player base, it's useful to read the above post.

TL:DR: People who post on forums about games are only roughly 5% of the player base.

It's also worth noting that most game developers I know know to address the players' problems. Their solutions can be useful sometimes, but addressing the actual problem is what works best.

This is a great link that I doubt many have bothered to read.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
hahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Dear god no.

People who play A LOT of games are a really really small subset of people actually playing games. Looking over the forum there is a huge blindspot for the general population, given the 'gamers' love of shitting on tutorials.

Mechanics for long running series are really the only time I have seen actual good advice. Asking gamers what they want new os almost always 'I WANT SOMETHING NEW. Not too new. Like a little new. Y'know what just give me the old thing again.'

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
They sure should listen, but they should not build an entire game just on fan feedback / wishes.

Fans can be wrong as much as developer can be when blindly chasing requirements the by marketing department / the publisher.
Oh yeah, I didn't mean they shouldn't listen to fans at all. They should obviously take feedback into consideration. But there are a lot of times when fans push back hard against certain aspects of certain games, and ultimately turn out to be very, very wrong. Then again, there are also times when the exact opposite of that happens.