Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

This clip just popped up in my recommended and reminded me all about the game. I remember seeing it a ton in gaming magazines back in the day, both from previews and ads talking about the unique Microphone-only gameplay. Of course for the time, it ended up being rather picky but is apparently still pretty unique all things considered.

Microphone functionality in games is nothing new, but I can't recall anything that went to this length to incorporate it as part of the game's identity outside "There Came An Echo" (Which was quite good). This doesn't get into other games that have used it for things such as squad commands or to talk to AI in specific manners.

This brings me to the topic of the title, I'm curious if anyone here has ever managed to play this game (Especially from start to finish). Whether back in the day, on original hardware, or through emulation (Which I believe is the easiest way to get your copy working these days, as I'm unsure how finicky PS2's usage of USB microphones is). As to this day, I'm interested in trying it myself (Outside its high price & rarity) and kind of wish a developer would go for a spiritual successor of the idea of "Voice Control Only Horror".

869b4453-1bb0-4e48-a574-3e3c29f3433a.png

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
I have it but I never got very far. I love the concept and I wish someone would try to do a similar game now that voice recognition is so much better.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
I recall my 5th grade teacher playing it for us. It looked very interesting from what I remembered but, never actually played it.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. Despite what everyone will say about her not being able to hear your commands if you actually ARTICULATE and speak like a normal human being the game is actually quite a blast to play. You can finish it in about 5-8 hours as well depending how quickly you determine where items are. The reason I see most people failing in this game is because they literally SCREAM into the microphone which doesn't help their articulation and thus she can't understand your commands.

I'd actually love to see something similar in this vein hit again.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
No, but I did watch Elajjaz suffer from a 24-hour lifeline stream

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Never touched it, but every stream I've seen of this game frustrates the player to the absolute ends of their wits. It's hilarious to see and the concept is cool.

As a PS2 horror game, it's rather mediocre.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had been meaning to order a cheap PS2 headset to play this one. Got the game laying around somewhere.

Are the Socom branded PS2 headsets fine for this game?

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
You know what's weird, it's a Sony I.P. developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Just one one many PS2 games Sony of America passed on and let another publisher locaize.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Jerma985's playthrough of this immediately comes to mind any time I'm reminded of this game.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
I played it a bit but couldn't get far as I couldn't get the last to accurately follow my instructions.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's a fairly easy game overall. There's one stretch in one big room with multiple fights and for some reason people have a lot of problems with a balancing section where you need to call out colors but it's really not a particularly terrible game outside of that. The story is absolutely incredible in the final section and the interactions you can have with Rio are really fun. It shouldn't even take anywhere near 8 hours. My blind playthrough was just under 5 hours and most people fall around that. It's absolutely not a horror game though and you should absolutely not judge it based on that.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Think I might get evicted if I try to play this today, so I'm gonna pass. Watched many videos of it though, stuff is comedy gold. I'd love to actually try it one day.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I always wondered if any mic works with this on a BC PS3, or if it has to be the PS2 one.
I believe most usb headsets should work I recall. I own it and never got around to playing it. May try it out. I recall the Voice recognition being pretty atrocious though.
edit: whoops misread this as using a headset on PS2. I'd assume so though.