Oct 31, 2017
I originally played Symphonia on the Gamecube many years ago and purchased the PS3 Chronicles edition.

While I did have a problem with the battles feeling kind of "off" due to the framerate being cut in half (plus I vastly prefer the Gamecube controller over the PS3 controller), my biggest issue with it was...

The "change" from the orchestral opening to the original JPOP opening.

Now, I admittedly love JPOP, and actually hate all other opening replacement songs for other Tales games, but Symphonia's JPOP songs are the "nails on a chalkboard" kind of high-pitch for me whereas the orchestrated opening felt perfect.

Yum:

Ew:

But it bothered me every time I booted the game up.

I ended up saying "fuck this" and sold the game, and will eventually purchase a Gamecube copy in the future.

So, anyone else ever had a somewhat similar experience with a port or remaster?

Thank u!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Symphony of the Night changing Alucard's voice actor to Yuri Lowenthal.

The rest of the cast does a great job replicating the charming bombast of SotN's original dub (especially Patrick Seitz's Dracula) but Lowenthal sounds so dull as Alucard.

Mar 30, 2019
The grabbing interval in Shadow of the Colossus HD was shortened or randomized. I don't know what it is really, but it throws my rhythm off when climbing a Colossi. I haven't played the remake.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I wouldn't use the word 'hate', but some people took it pretty bad when the new face of Wander was shown for Shadow of the Colossus remake.

Also, OP you are crazy. Starry Heavens is amazing (it's not 'Soshite Boku ni Dekiru Koto', but it's still good) and way superior to the orchestrated US intro.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hate, no, but for Dark Souls 1, the way the netcode was reworked and attack vectors meant you couldn't dead angle anymore. Made me sad :(

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They replaced the unique art in Radiant Historia with generic anime, dramatically changing some character designs in the process.
They then withheld the original art to sell as DLC...

I didn't end up buying it for that reason, which I guess is super petty. I already have the DS version anyway, I should just go finish it.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Guess not exactly a remaster in the typical sense but man do I dislike that they for no reason changed Lara's face for the DE of TR2013

TR2013 left
Definitive Edition right

278007963f677c30f0348029c1f73d27.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Metroid Prime on Wii because Samus's cannon doesn't freeze when she charges the ice beam, like in the Gamecube version.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't like Twin Snakes, but not for the gameplay or the new cut-scenes. The only reason I dislike it is due to the new voice acting. The original reads are so iconic and classic to me that anything else just sounds wrong, even if the same actors are present. Like I hear Gray Fox and just get annoyed lol.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
The moe-ification of Eruca in Radiant Histroia prevented me from picking up the remaster.

snap, already mentioned lol

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Resonance of Fate remaster changed the lighting so it looks very off in the victory pose scene..

original:
DqC0nxJUUAAQ4LL

remaster:
DqC0m9AUwAAa6zL

it's probably something super small for most people, but I hated it so much.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Gears remaster because of 30fps. Picked it up on my way to work, found out about it while at work, returned it on my way home from work.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The issues people have with WW and TP HD always seem pretty minor and hard to understand for me.

As for me, I prefer the original OoT for the bigger screen and using a controller. To me these are pretty big things that seem to be not mentioned by most people. I also prefer the original MM for these reasons, but also because of the faster Zora swimming and boss designs in the original. I don't like the huge eyeballs in the remake. That I admit might be a minor reason to most, but to me it just ruins the designs and makes them really silly looking (the boss fights in general just seem much sillier to me in the remake).

Oct 26, 2017
The DS version of Chrono Trigger.
I know the new translation is more accurate, but it's not the Chrono Trigger I fell in love with. I refuse to play it.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
The issues people have with WW and TP HD always seem pretty minor and hard to understand for me.

As for me, I prefer the original OoT for the bigger screen and using a controller. To me these are pretty big things that seem to be not mentioned by most people. I also prefer the original MM for these reasons, but also because of the faster Zora swimming and boss designs in the original. I don't like the huge eyeballs in the remake. That I admit might be a minor reason to most, but to me it just ruins the designs and makes them really silly looking (the boss fights in general just seem much sillier to me in the remake).
zora swimming isnt faster in the n64 version, there is no actual difference in zora swimming speed between the versions

Oct 26, 2017
Lego City Undercover has glitchy facial animation on Switch and the change of the lighting and assets also look worse than the Wii U original. Nintendo should've worked with WB to have had a a proper Wii U-to-Switch remaster being as faithful and polished as possible, published by Nintendo with their proper QA on the job, and then after allowed it to go multiplat under WB. Sort of like Bayo 1 essentially (not exact but a similar idea)?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
They removed Guy Savage from MGS3HD and the codec calls you can make after it, including Signit's ridiculous "shit" dream conversation.

Undefinitive version.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I totally understand why they couldn't have it, but the fact that they removed the Nintendo logo from the xylophone in the 360 port of Banjo-Kazooie really upsets me.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Halo CE Anniversary completely ruined the tone for the 343 Guilty Spark level.

It also uses the PC port, which lacked a lot of visual effects from the Xbox version.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
They changed the character artist in Senko no Ronde 2 and I was really disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not petty or insignificant to me, though it will come off that way to some people, I'm sure: the cancel/confirm button swap on the Switch port of Dark Souls is an absolute deal-breaker and a non-negotiable reason I will not buy the Switch port of Dark Souls. On a Nintendo platform, I should never have to acknowledge that the rival button layouts even exist.

The loss of the original end credits to Okami in all the ports is deeply unfortunate, especially now that on the Switch port, the control scheme has never been better. It's not a red line for me personally, but I can see why it might be for others out there.

WC3 Reforged is a controversial beast of its own for a hundred reasons I won't go into here—but I was pretty dismayed to hear they removed certain joke lines (notably the Dryad's "I'm so wasted!") when one of the great reliefs for me, when the developers said they were not pursuing their original ambition of redoing all the lines, was that all the original jokes would stay instead of being replaced by newer and supposedly more relevant material. I was glad they walked that back, and then they messed it up anyway.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
All the non-Japanese rereleases of Okami have the end credits theme changed.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Ico remaster on PS3. Not the developer's fault, they took the version that was generally accepted to be "final" to remaster - European version. Turned out that practically every change and addition in the European version was for the worse:
- Spring jump timing puzzle: terrible
- Running across the water wheel: terrible.
But the worst of all is how in the European version, the happy-sounding ending music starts to play way sooner than it did in the US version - it plays during an otherwise very somber and dreary scene, where it really feels out of place, and ruins the ending somewhat. I completely blame Ueda for all this however, as he clearly didn't know when to stop tinkering with what was already a finished work.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I could deal with the different art direction.

But I stopped playing the Shadow of the Colossus remake due to how badly Bluepoint fucked up Wander's face and animations.

Ironically, them being so terrible at character models makes them a perfect fit to remake Demon Souls.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Resonance of Fate remaster changed the lighting so it looks very off in the victory pose scene..
The game has dynamic time-of-day.

Those two shots are from different times.

IIRC, they didn't adjust the lighting model (they mainly just scaled the textures). It's possible there are differences from resolution, but I don't think visually the game has changed all that much (just minor improvements).

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I think Twin Snakes is overall inferior to the original not because of the soundtrack. Not because of the redone voice acting. Not because of the MGS2 controls. Not even because of the ridiculous cutscenes. The soundtrack being changed is what makes me hate it the most.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Probably the VA change in the Tales of Vesperia english release. I really liked Troy Baker as Yuri, but I'd understand if they couldn't get him to come back... Having two different voice actors flipping back and forth was ridiculously jarring, and I just couldn't cope.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The game has dynamic time-of-day.

Those two shots are from different times.

IIRC, they didn't adjust the lighting model (they mainly just scaled the textures). It's possible there are differences from resolution, but I don't think visually the game has changed all that much (just minor improvements).
I know it is dynamic time of day, but I can't seem to get even the similar look even in similar lighting setting.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Deadly Premonition Director Cut on the PC. Didn't mind the new cutscenes, but it was so unstable that even with the fix patch I gave up. Final straw was doing a side quest in the past (you can't save when doing that) and the game crashed while passing time. Never played that version again. I need to try the Switch version sometime.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I know it is dynamic time of day, but I can't seem to get even the similar look even in similar lighting setting.
It's hard to say without knowing what you're looking at.

It could just be the difference between the ultra-low resolution buffers for certain effects on 360 that are native (or at least proportionally larger) in the remaster, or maybe they adjusted some of the shaders. I don't see any real technical difference in the shots you posted (beyond the low-quality DoF in the first image).

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
The remake of Motherload straight up removed everything that made the original game fun and easy to pick up and play. They made a much worse version of a free game and charged for it.

Catherine rerelease/ expansion added a ton of transphobic stuff, although I'm not sure if that counts.

Ratchet and clank 2016 is missing about a third of the original game and has worse writing somehow.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
In the recent Konami Arcade Classics Collection, the version of Salamander they give you is Life Force. They're more or less the same game, but the one I'm more familiar with is Salamander, and I dislike the small changes made in Life Force.

In Amber Clad

behind a perfect mask
Aug 26, 2018
London
I really, really, really, really hate the loading screens in the Master Chief Collection, to the point where they honestly ruin the games a little bit for me, and taking them out and replacing them with the originals is my #1 want for the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like Super Mario All-Stars because of the Super Mario World aspects.

I didn't like the Super Mario Bros Deluxe (or the Advance titles) because of similar reasons, but especially the button layout of the GBA/DS being diagonal, not next to each other.