Jun 12, 2018
I used to love playing pc games and could spend literally a whole day sitting at a desk doing so. Playing League/CS/WoW/GW2/*insert other long term game here* for hours on end felt immensely satisfying, and never had any problems.

But now? I just can't bring myself to do it. I just find it wayyyyy more relaxing to sit on a couch or lay in my bed to play a video game on a console or laptop, when compared to sitting on a chair for hours on end.

I think one factor may be that I now have an office job which requires me to sit at a desktop all day, which makes me want to stay away from that setting when I'm chilling in my home.

Is this just simply a sign of me getting older? Am I becoming...casual?

What about your ERA? Do you enjoy sitting at your desktop setting in the same way now that you did years ago?

For those people with an office job, has that ruined your ability to sit at a desktop for a long period time at your house, since you already do so at your office?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me, but it's not out of a desire to not sit at a desk or anything, more that my lifestyle is far too mobile (and my apartment too small lol) to accommodate a bit gaming PC tower.

I do hope to return to PC gaming some day.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
100%

My couch is just so much more comfortable than my computer chair (and I have a decent one) especially after sitting in an office chair all day.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I still play PC games for the majority of games but its more of my next computer that's making me think of ditching PC gaming. I always build my pc and thought of the stress and annoying of putting together a new build in the future makes me want to stick to console.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yeah. A tower is inconvenient. I went down the mini-ITX route and even that wasn't ideal. Everything in this world is pushing towards small/portable. I'd love to see PC's go that way. Relegate the GPU to a dock maybe, PC's go the hybrid/convertible route.

Fwiw, I was a couch PC gamer. There are things you have to get used to - certain portions of your catalogue being unplayable, either due to it being mandatory KB&M (I played controller 100%) or UI's that are unreadable across the front room. The actual experience of using a PC in a front room is also rather poor. Yeah, you can get console type skins to place over the front of your collection, but it doesn't take much for the façade to be shattered and the clunky UX to wade its way in. But, it has to be said, that comfy sit on a sofa console game vibe, once you're in game, there is no difference with PC vs. console.

Looking forward to the day when integrated graphics really start to be able to push it, and the interface of Windows becomes adapted for tablet use, much more than its current incarnation.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
I vastly prefer sitting in my bed or on the couch to in a rigid af seat. This is why for the most part, if the game releases on Switch, I'll buy it over a PC or PS4 release. This is an obvious choice for indie titles that play just as well on Switch as they do PC and PS4, but even games with noticeable changes to performance like Doom I'd much rather have on the Switch!

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
I barely play on my desk anymore, used to be the kind of person that got the first widescreen monitors, triple screen setup, 21:9, then high refresh rate, etc

I just hook up my gaming PC to my TV and play on the couch, also moved away from most games that require KB/Mouse twitch gameplay.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yes, when I was about 18. I'm 37 now.

Basically as soon as I wasn't a kid playing games in my bedroom anymore.

Comfy couch living room OLED TV gaming all the way.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I work an office job and I still love sitting down at my pc to play videogames. My computer chair is comfier than my couch.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Well I'm 21, but my interest in PC gaming only increased as I got older instead of just sticking to Nintendo systems. PC + Nintendo is my main combo nowadays with the very rare PS4 game.

Also, I hooked up my Switch, Wii U, and PS4 to the same monitor I use for my PC. I MUCH prefer playing on a monitor due to it being way easier for me to view and very little input lag. Input lag on TVs drives me up a wall, I can't stand that.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I've primarily been a handheld gamer for years. I assumed moving to a new house and finally building my own mid-high range PC would be the kick I need to finally get into PC gaming.

It didn't.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I still play tycoon, management, and simulation games. Only these genres appeal to me so I don't see them leaving the PC at any time.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Yea

My computer is pretty old at this point and can't run most new stuff (and even old stuff I used to play, due to the CPU being iffy), so I just play everything on my Switch now. I can't be bothered upgrading my PC, when the Switch is good enough.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much. I've been working within IT for countless of years, so I can't help but avoid sitting in a computer chair to game. Extremely hard for me to muster the interest even if there are tons of PC-only games I wanna try, and also having a capable PC.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a new TV a few months ago and this has been the case for me. I'd much rather play on my couch with a big screen than hunch over my 23-inch monitor.

I ended up buying a long ass HDMI cable this weekend and now I'm playing PC games on the couch. I'd go full console but 30fps and 1080p is straight ass

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, working in an office on a PC all day really doesn't help. I still use my PC plenty though but either on my TV or playing in VR.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've actually been doing it more and more now that I live with my partner, because I can play on my monitor while she uses the TV, whereas with console games the TV is my only option.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Really depends on what kinda lifestyle you got. I have plenty of space and I find playing on a desktop with m+kbd to be pretty relaxing :)

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the computer quite a bit for work. I own a launch PS4 and a decent computer that is more capable than the PS4. Most of my game time is on the PS4 though. The last thing I want to do after a long day of work and parental responsibility is hop on the PC. The console experience is just so much more comfortable for me.

I have a steam link that works well enough but I still need to set up some things which is pretty annoying. The PC is for games likes CSGO or HotS with my group of friends. Otherwise, everything else is on the PS4.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are great PC tools like Steam Big Picture and the controller API to make this better (including DualShock 4 having a touchpad) but for me its never been a perfect solution and always left me wanting a real console UI experience instead. I also do want the keyboard + mouse experience for some games (Civilization, Starcraft, etc.) so it's not good enough for me to just sit my PC in front of my TV.

That being said, if it is an engaging enough experience, I will quickly become immersed playing it on PC. The problem is overcoming the mental hurdle to sit down at my desktop and start playing in the first place at night once I get home from work. That hurdle doesn't seem to exist with my XBox and couch, for whatever reason.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, but you can play PC games from the couch as well. Most 3rd party games that are on consoles are now on PC with the same controller support. Even keyboard/mouse is easy for most games, and if you are some sort of pro competitive gamer, there are lap desks and other options like fold out tables that work well.

TBH, I never liked desktop gaming and did everything possible to play on TVs before it was even possible with my equipment LOL

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Work on computer all day. Had no real effect. Just hook to HDR set and play like that. Some days just play on monitor. Have Gaming laptop and Desktop Hooked to TV.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's all about what you're sitting in. I've been on some awful sofas and some good desk chairs.

For me it's all about the pillows.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Opposite to be honest. I have more money so I have my desktop hooked up to a 55 inch 4K TV at all times. I also have a wireless mouse and keyboard.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I sit in front of a computer screen all day so that I can afford to sit in front of a computer screen all night

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Opposite for me.

I'd rather just game on PC than play consoles. I enjoy tinkering with games and settings.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I think one factor may be that I now have an office job which requires me to sit at a desktop all day, which makes me want to stay away from that setting when I'm chilling in my home.
Bingo. Jobs are stressful and a lot of office work is tied to working with OS desktops. Sometimes something as simple as looking at a different digital device is absolutely needed or else the stress cycle feels like it never ends.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of console AAA games are definitely more like comfort food.

Not that you can't get the same games on PC, but for me I prefer convenience as I get older as well. Kind of sad but I also feel the same way OP.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
As I get older I'm losing my desire to want to turn on a stationary machine that's sole purpose is playing games and watching movies.

My consoles are starting to collect dust while my desktop, switch, and mobile devices are being used more than ever.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same as several people in this thread. I work on a computer for large parts of the day, which puts me entirely off using one for relaxation wherever I can help it. Much prefer consoles for that reason.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand this... it is very easy and affordable to set up your PC for comfy couch gaming, even if you want your PC in another room.

This is part of the massive benefit of PC, the ability to customize and set up how you want. Why do so many people ignore it?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
My PC is hooked up to my big screen. I haven't played games at a desk in years.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Really depends on what kinda lifestyle you got. I have plenty of space and I find playing on a desktop with m+kbd to be pretty relaxing :)

Controlling games with mouse and keyboard is far more important than anything, so i'll never leave the desktop for gaming. Ever. Second, i have a recliner next to the desk. I take my keyboard in my lap, the mouse is on the recliner's gigantic armrest and im laying back in the most confortable recliner imaginable. Always had the most comfortable desk setup possible. And ive had to read my whole life how console gamers always need to stay hunched over a desk, or the dreaded office job that somehow makes it impossible to game at home on a pc and every other nonsense

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is me.

Mostly a result of working on a PC all day at my 9-5 and my desktop at home being kinda isolated and not wanting/able to shut myself off from wife/kids for too long.

But when I was younger/unemployed sure, spent tons of time on it.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ive been getting away from consoles (except the switch) but i probably play a mix of desktop and with a controller.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Opposite, as I got older I got more disposable income to make my Desktop Smokey levels. :D

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not able to get invested in any game when playing on PC as much as before for sure. Don't enjoy the act of gaming in that platform compared to a console and couch.

Considering none of my friends game on PC I have no reason to game on it.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I still enjoy it too much. 144Hz gaming is too good to pass up, though I do find myself playing KB/M much less for most games, opting now to use an Xbox Elite controller.
I have a separate NUC with Windows installed for low impact Steam titles and emulation for couch gaming.