Mar 9, 2019
A survivor of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting said Monday that Harvard University has rescinded his acceptance after recently surfaced screenshots showed him using racial slurs a few months before the 2018 massacre in Parkland, Fla.

Kyle Kashuv, 18, who was admitted to Harvard earlier this year, wrote on Twitter that he had been made aware of "egregious and callous comments" he made when he was 16 years old.

D9RocK4XsAA6S1z

More at his twitter thread

Sep 14, 2018
I actually agree with him, why take seriously what a 16 year old boy says? Who then went through a pretty eye opening event...

Bigger chance of deprogramming him in Harvard anyway.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hard to defend a statement like that, but he's young enough so that he can change if he really wants to. Kids today need to learn the harsh reality that what goes on the internet, stays on the internet.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Harvard deciding that someone can't grow, especially after a life-altering event like the shooting, is deeply concerning. If any institution should understand growth, it's Harvard, which is looked to as the pinnacle of higher education despite its checkered past.

If it takes nearly dying to stop you from being a racist, then that says more about you then them

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
For those unfamiliar:

"Kashuv became director of high school outreach of the pro-Trump group Turning Point USA and gave speeches about gun rights, until his resignation in May 2019. Governor-elect of Florida Ron DeSantis, a Republican, included Kashuv on his Transition Advisory Committee on Public Safety.

Following the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, Michael Gruen, an "influencer marketer", noticed Kashuv's posts on Twitter and approached him offering to help him get his message out. With the help of former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci, former White House press secretary Sean Spicer, and Daily Wire editor Ben Shapiro, meetings on Capitol Hill were set up for Kashuv. During his visit, Kashuv met with President Trump, Melania Trump, and several other politicians including Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and Senator Orrin Hatch."

Kyle_Kashuv_with_Donald_and_Melania_Trump_2.jpg

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On some level I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea that comments made as a minor should count against you so massively when you're ostensibly an adult.
In this case, I'm not expecting this particular individual to have really changed too much considering his history.
Because I don't think Harvard has really prevented racists from studying there, only the ones who weren't so smart as to hide it.
In this case perhaps that environment could've helped him come away from it.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For those unfamiliar:

"Kashuv became director of high school outreach of the pro-Trump group Turning Point USA and gave speeches about gun rights, until his resignation in May 2019. Governor-elect of Florida Ron DeSantis, a Republican, included Kashuv on his Transition Advisory Committee on Public Safety.

Following the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, Michael Gruen, an "influencer marketer", noticed Kashuv's posts on Twitter and approached him offering to help him get his message out. With the help of former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci, former White House press secretary Sean Spicer, and Daily Wire editor Ben Shapiro, meetings on Capitol Hill were set up for Kashuv. During his visit, Kashuv met with President Trump, Melania Trump, and several other politicians including Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and Senator Orrin Hatch."
Oh. Well NVM. Fuck this kid

Oct 25, 2017
For those unfamiliar:

Oh, it's like he was a still shitbird or something.....

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The hilarious thing will be people more concerned about Harvard taking away his admission than they are about actual atrocities that happen to the people he targets.

"He needs Harvard to learn from his mistakes. He could be deprogrammed!"

FOH

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On some level I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea that comments made as a minor should count against you so massively when you're ostensibly an adult.
In this case, I'm not expecting this particular individual to have really changed too much considering his history.
Because I don't think Harvard has really prevented racists from studying there, only the ones who weren't so smart as to hide it.
In this case perhaps that environment could've helped him come away from it.
Isn't that what college admissions is all about though? They look at your academic record when you're 13/14-17/18 and also look at what you do outside of school (extracurricular activities). This doesn't seem to be outside of the bounds in that sense.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was last year. It's not like they dragged this out of a deep dark vault. Also he was apparently garbage beforehand.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that what college admissions is all about though? They look at your academic record when you're 13/14-17/18 and also look at what you do outside of school (extracurricular activities). This doesn't seem to be outside of the bounds in that sense.
Well he was already accepted so one has to wonder what they are actually considering when looking at admissions. I imagine in this case it was "this will be great publicity to have a shooting survivor here"

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
How'd someone this stupid get into Harvard in the first place?

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that he went through a school shooting but this shit is separate and he still loves him some guns so he can hold the L. Plenty of others that need help or could do better with his spot. They likely didn't post that racist bullshit either.

How old is 16 really? Cmon yall. This is how 40 year olds stay assholes too. No consequences.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
For those unfamiliar:

Can take the boy out of Florida but you can't take the Florida out of the boy

How long til he goes on Rogan

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
For those unfamiliar:

Yeah, I'll happily forget he exists now.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
D9Q-W39XUAA7CJa

"Gosh, i will talk to Black people, we cool now?"

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those unfamiliar:

Oh, im shocked!

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's....

For those unfamiliar:

Oh fuck him.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
16 isn't that far back.

It's definitely old enough to know right from wrong.

This kid doesn't deserve the Ivy League.

He deserves Trump University.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Kyle Kashuv sucks. He's a shameless political grifter, as is everyone associated with TPUSA. I don't feel bad for him for a second.

Jun 10, 2018
I actually agree with him, why take seriously what a 16 year old boy says? Who then went through a pretty eye opening event...

Bigger chance of deprogramming him in Harvard anyway.
Dylan Roof

But its OK, anti-black sentiments and black victims can apparently only be addressed until after these monsters inflict their violence.

And this is the kind of support black people get from supposed "allies" huh?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This start of the thread is pretty funny seeing people going soft on the kid because they thought he was an activist for gun control, then when they realized he's pro-gun and met with Trump instantly throw him under to the wolves.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
mr owl how many racial slurs does it take to get my admission to harvard rescinded?

Oct 27, 2017
They're called kids for a reason. Fucking hell. The fact that he's still pro-gun is fucking insane though. Tells me he didn't learn much of anything from that experience.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You know, when I was 16, AOL was in its heyday, and I knew better to type shit like this, even to "joke around" like this with my friend. Because I have empathy.

Fuck him.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They're called kids for a reason. Fucking hell. The fact that he's still pro-gun is fucking insane though. Tells me he didn't learn much of anything from that experience.
Yes completely normal for a 16 yo to not know about racism and use it frequently. And to suggest practicing killing the Jews in his school mapped out in CSGO. Less than two years ago and that was just normal.

Just kids being kids!

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Yes people can grow and change, but no one owes you the time and energy to do it on their dime. Be better and do it because it makes you better not as a redmepation arc. Maybe people will recognize maybe they won't.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
This start of the thread is pretty funny seeing people going soft on the kid because they thought he was an activist for gun control, then when they realized he's pro-gun and met with Trump instantly throw him under to the wolves.

He already has a built-in career as a conservative commentator and speaker. Not being able to go to Harvard isn't exactly throwing him to the wolves.