• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
I requested to join the Spartan company.

My Spartan's backstory, meant for serious roleplaying:

Lamar designated Spartan 216, goes by MLGMooseyNoScope420BlazeIt because it's so much easier to say. MLGMooseyNoScope420BlazeIt, is a bit of a loose canon. He doesn't play by the books and would rather improvise in order to come up with a solution to a problem at hand. His superior officers find this incredibly frustrating, but admit that it's one of his greater strengths. In 2550, MLGMooseyNoScope420BlazeIt single handedly captured a flag in a war games simulation while his garbage squad mates toggled crouch in their base. For this heroic feat, MLGMooseyNoScope420BlazeIt was awarded a double order of protein paste in the mess hall later that day.

A real soldier's soldier, that MLGMooseyNoScope420BlazeIt

jem

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone has issue with the ResetERA's design regarding color scheme and, especially, readability, I'm working on a small CSS fixe to make it look like similar to what we used to see on NeoGAF. I added some QoL improvements (like a direct arrow to get to the last read message) and will continue on.

If you want it, I will share it when it's done.

Preview:
You know that just clicking the title of a thread/main link takes you to the first unread post right?

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played H5 campaign again. Apparently a third time, since i had finished it on Heroic already.

Not enough Warthog though. Especially later on. Also not enough human weapons, there should be more ammo drops or the like. I liked Halo 2's supply drops you got during Delta Halo and Regret.

The Sanghelios missions are definitely best missions in the game. Wish we could visit other Covie worlds as well. This said, I miss missions set on Halos or the Ark terribly, nothing else really compares. Other Forerunner places don't quite have same feel (Requiem had but... damn it). Megastructures just are so damn interesting.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want a separate button for "go latest unread". Don't actually give a shit whether such option exists, but if it does, separate button.
Whenever i click on the thread, i want to go the first page and post. When i click a page, i want to go to that page's top. Latest unread is irrelevant for me since i want to read stuff preceding it to get proper context. No need to scroll backwards first this way.
It is a matter of control and consistency.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I want a separate button for "go latest unread". Don't actually give a shit whether such option exists, but if it does, separate button.
Whenever i click on the thread, i want to go the first page and post. When i click a page, i want to go to that page's top.
It is a matter of control and consistency.
Why the first page though? That's just inefficient and a waste of time.

I don't think I've ever intentionally gone to the first page of a thread I've already posted in, other the rare occasion when there's some useful info in the op.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See edit.

Also i'm a creature of habits.

And i hate suggestions and whatever else machines offer me. I decide, i don't care what it thinks is first unread or whatever else.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If stinkles is reading, what's up with no Halo 2600 physical release on Xbox One? Pls include in MCC Spring update

jem

Oct 25, 2017
See edit.

Also i'm a creature of habits.

And i hate suggestions and whatever else machines offer me. I decide, i don't care what it thinks is first unread or whatever else.
Why are you scrolling back? You should already have the context you need because it's the first post you haven't read.

Unless you regularly start reading a page of posts and stop halfway through. I don't understand how this is inconsistent.

It's also not a suggestion, it's literally the next post after the last one you've viewed. So if you read all the posts in a thread then come back later it'll link you too the post directly beneath the last post you read.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I regularly stop reading at random places, yes. I tend to have multiple tabs open, read a bit here and there. Refresh things occasionally.

Also don't care if its not a suggestion, still feels like a machine is offering me opinions unasked. Hence preference for a separate button that i can ignore at my leisure.

And most of all, it is my habit, one i see no reason to change, too minor matter to bother with and i really hate it when something tries to. (You know what i do when a Chrome update changes a thing? I look for a for an extension or an option that reverts the change.)

EDIT And i have a bad habit of reading threads without actually reading them, only for be actually interested later on. Happens especially when tired.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think the way this works is great.

If I want to go to page1, I select page 1. Otherwise I want to go to the first post I haven't read.

If for some reason I want to skip to the end, I select the last page.

This system is fully functional, and by default plays to what I think would be pretty normal reading habits.

Edit: I don't guess there is a "jump to page" option? I'd like that.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Page 1 is not visible in the page list. So that is not an option!

And "first unread" is on the purple ball next to thread names. So the thread title replicating that function is unnecessary.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you use the Stylish plugin in your browser remove it and use Stylus in it's place, then click on 'Find more styles for this site'. They work the same but the old version (Stylish) was sold off to a spyware company.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Vanilla H4 was far worse than Vanilla Reach.

No pickups, No descope, flinch, Kill streaks, wall hacks, and some loadout weapons were strong enough to be powerweapons, instant respawn, no weapon spawns...

Reach was bad. H4 was a goddamn abomination. Bad ideas upon bad ideas.

Edit: I just read an old waypoint thread about descope. A mod blocked a user for saying flinch was bad and didn't feel like halo. The thread was full of users saying that flinch rewards skill instead of first shot. Wtf man? Why does h4 still make me so angry.

I'd argue that H4's was better, if simply for the fact it hits the goals they set for it. It was never meant to be a hyper competitive skill based multiplayer, where as Reach wanted to be that and it's design features completely undermined it.

I figure the equipment is probably the best addition made to Halo, on concept level, since creation of Halo MP. Equipment fit very well Halo's gameplay, being items on the field rather than something chosen at start. Easy to use, allowed for effects distinct from existing weapons and grenades.

In practice, it feels like Bungie didn't actually consider balancing at all: giant bubble shield with long duration, strong regenerator, room-size EMP field... The gravity lift was basically the only item with no issues IMO.

The bubble shield should have been far smaller (one-spartan size, roughly) and shorter duration (5 sec max) (think the one trailer where it is featured for the first time). Something you can use to block a doorway or a rocket with quick application, rather than a portable shelter for your team.
The power drain should have been an area effect pulse or a mine-type weapon rather than such a powerful area denial item.
The trip mine should have retained its magnetism considering its low power for a mine. Would have been fun addition without really changing the thing.
The flare was an interesting grenade-like weapon but it probably was too powerful and too long duration as it was.
Regen as a concept feels like a mistake for multiplayer, good for campaign though.
The portable shield was redundant due to bubble shield and questionable with its one-way-projectile-pass feautre.
Never figured out what was wrong with the radar jammer, IIRC it was mostly removed along with the flare because of the double jump glitch.

The problem with equipment is that it creates situations where the player has an ability, but doesn't want to use it because they can only use it once. Then on top of it, what a player may have at any given moment can be completely random. Got someone down to 1 shot? They drop a regen and you should run away. Drop a bubble shield? You skilled shooting now comes down to a gamble of who can stick who first (or who has the shotgun in their back pocket). With Reach they thought they'd fix it by making the ability reusable which I think was the better idea, the problem is that its just a superpower everyone spawns with rather than has to fight for and control. Starting everyone with sprint and having the jetpack, hologram etc spawn and have people fight over would have been much more interesting, or forcing each player to spawn with a single superpower and have to co-ordinate on how their team can take advantage of each user. Imagine if you had one player on Highground CTF who could fly over the wall, or another who can be used to send our decoys, or one who can rush the power weapons, and one who had the radar jammer/cloak.

I don't think it can be really. Not if the intent is to keep it a tank.

Or, well, maybe if the tank had a crew of two (three with MG). A driver and a gunner (and a machine gunner). The required co-operation might make it OK even if it were tough and powerful.
Amusingly, the original lore for the Scorpion described the crew requirement as "two or one cyborg". Indeed in Halo CE campaign the tank looks like it has two hatches. In multiplayer the main hatch looks different, at least on Halo PC.

There have been people over the years who restored the idea of it being a 2 man vehicle. One person aims, one person drives. IDK if it was ever anything planned by Bungie, but I can only imagine how boring the tank would have been if you had to have the AI shoot and all you did was drive.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
This has been doing the rounds: Paul Crocker (Batman: Arkham Asylum, City and Origins) has been hired as Narrative Director. From the sound of it, Brian Reed might also still be working there (Other job postings reference working with 'multiple' narrative directors).

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There have been people over the years who restored the idea of it being a 2 man vehicle. One person aims, one person drives. IDK if it was ever anything planned by Bungie, but I can only imagine how boring the tank would have been if you had to have the AI shoot and all you did was drive.
One person tank for single player is OK. Though i disagree it is boring if all do you do is to drive, that is what you do with the Warthog usually. We'll ignore that small bit how the tank is slow and stable unlike the Warthog.
But in multiplayer it probably should have two to three person crew, depending whether the machine gun is in separate pintle or co-axial.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This has been doing the rounds: Paul Crocker (Batman: Arkham Asylum, City and Origins) has been hired as Narrative Director. From the sound of it, Brian Reed might also still be working there (Other job postings reference working with 'multiple' narrative directors).
Yeah, saw that. If he's doing H6 story stuff... well, it means that H6 isn't coming out next year, probably. But it also means that when we get it, it's likely to be the kind of story people seem to want; straightforward, uses the stuff people like about the franchise, all that.

Could also be that he's working on another project for them, though.

edit: and yeah I agree with Woorloog , 2-man Scorpion would be a pretty great way to balance it.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that H4's was better, if simply for the fact it hits the goals they set for it. It was never meant to be a hyper competitive skill based multiplayer, where as Reach wanted to be that and it's design features completely undermined it.

Was being hyper competitve/skill based a goal of Reach? I seem to remember Bungie making conscious efforts to move away from competitive balance, starting with Halo 3.

But beyond that I dont understand why h4 achieving its goals makes it "better", since the result was a game that was generally far less appealing than any Halo game preceding it.

It seems to me that the minds that operated at bungie during it's halo days were to smart to believe that adding RNG and unpredictability to every encounter would make it more skillful.

Last edited:

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like Halo 4 just a bit more because when I shoot with a gun the other person gets hit without much issue, Halo 3 and Reach are just a pain because most of the weapons have awful spread or bloom applied

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I like Halo 4 just a bit more because when I shoot with a gun the other person gets hit without much issue, Halo 3 and Reach are just a pain because most of the weapons have awful spread or bloom applied
Yeah that's the one thing H4 had going for it.

My understanding is that h4 eventually became a pretty good halo game, but i didn't stick around long enough for them to add playlists that played like halo.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

My understanding is that h4 eventually became a pretty good halo game, but i didn't stick around long enough for them to add playlists that played like halo.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather play vanilla H4 than Reach.

4 was quite fun if you didn't take it seriously.

Reach, with armour lock and bloom just wasn't fun to play at all.

Legendary H4 was infinitely better than Reach.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, saw that. If he's doing H6 story stuff... well, it means that H6 isn't coming out next year, probably. But it also means that when we get it, it's likely to be the kind of story people seem to want; straightforward, uses the stuff people like about the franchise, all that.

Could also be that he's working on another project for them, though.
You could be right, because they have been hiring for that VR project. If they are recruiting for high level internal personnel, like a creative director for the VR project then a dedicated separate narrative director would also make sense.

IIRC they also did that with Halo Wars 2.

Oct 25, 2017

I quite enjoyed my time with it. As a guy who's not really competitive with Halo, my lessened enjoyment with H4 had more to do with the stripped down community and UI aspects, management, and everyone being salty about it, than the game itself at some point.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope if Halo 6 is a 2019 title that they spend that extra time ensuring all the features work at launch, the staggered approach they went with 4 and 5 makes those games feel a bit content starved compared to 3 and Reach which launched with a great feature set and UI to go along with it. Hopefully 6 also has a decent UI as 4, 5 and the MCC are some the buggiest I've ever used

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I quite enjoyed my time with it. As a guy who's not really competitive with Halo, my lessened enjoyment with H4 had more to do with the stripped down community and UI aspects, management, and everyone being salty about it, than the game itself at some point.

Looking back, I think I enjoyed h4 for like 3 days. It was fun in the way that fiesta is fun. With no weapon spawns, and no telling what your opponents could pull out at any moment, there was no meta to concern myself with. It was mindless- which is something I enjoy about halo occasionally.

But after a few days, I came to realize that with the systems in place at launch, there would never be any depth- no reason to learn the maps, to discuss tactics. No skill ranking to grind for. There was little joy in "outplaying" because was often more effective to cheese. I was going to be stuck playing a twisted version of fiesta for the foreseeable future. It would've been cool if all that 'innovation' was thrown into a seperate mode (aka Warzone). But making it the main dish was just unsatisfying.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Was being hyper competitve/skill based a goal of Reach? I seem to remember Bungie making conscious efforts to move away from competitive balance, starting with Halo 3.

But beyond that I dont understand why h4 achieving its goals makes it "better", since the result was a game that was generally far less appealing than any Halo game preceding it.

It seems to me that the minds that operated at bungie during it's halo days were to smart to believe that adding RNG and unpredictability to every encounter would make it more skillful.

Well they made a pretty huge push towards having the Arena and the seasonal resets. Also I think an entire vidoc focused on it. I have a bunch of videos on my 360 I need to upload to youtube because way to many of the videos out there are low quality or hard to find. Bungie always seemed to resent the competitive nature of Halo. The way H2 ended up seems to be more accidental than anything else.

I played a ton but strayed away from Slayer and was pretty into the objective modes.My group of friends stopped playing after the game was re-tuned because we didn't like the faster pace of it. Then the XB1 release was a total nail in the coffin for us.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Well they made a pretty huge push towards having the Arena and the seasonal resets. Also I think an entire vidoc focused on it. I have a bunch of videos on my 360 I need to upload to youtube because way to many of the videos out there are low quality or hard to find. Bungie always seemed to resent the competitive nature of Halo. The way H2 ended up seems to be more accidental than anything else.

Oh now I remember. That stuff always struck me as a superficial appeal to competitive- maybe MS pushing them to try to capitalize on the success of MLG.

But I definately don't think they had any desire to be a competitive title. They went to greater lengths to minimize the impact of skill with each title.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 Heavies on Harvest >
Same garbage, different site
User was warned? That's an improvement on this site I'd say. I only got banned once on GAF because I called someone an elitist who was dismissing people's opinions that they didn't agree with. I still have no idea why I deserved that two week ban just before E3. A little warning or simple discussion with a mod would've sufficed, instead I couldn't talk about Halo during E3 ☹

Anyway, good luck Talents and whoever else decides to shit up the joint lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.