Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone planning to go this year? I didn't go last year but this year's lineup is insane. Going next weekend-and yet again I'm planning to mask up since COVID is on the rise again.

This year we got:
Evil Dead Rise
Stranger Things 4
The Exorcist
The Last of Us
Chucky
And of course the Terror Tram....

Universal-Studios-Halloween-Horror-Nights-x-Stranger-Things.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79JVUnQToU4&pp=ygUcaGFsbG93ZWVuIGhvcnJvciBuaWdodHMgMjAyMw%3D%3D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC3Uz9sg130&pp=ygUcaGFsbG93ZWVuIGhvcnJvciBuaWdodHMgMjAyMw%3D%3D

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm going closer to the end of September! Have my reservations booked. I was hemming and hawing between Florida and LA but Evil Dead was the clincher.

I'm really fucking jazzed about getting to see Super Nintendo World for the first time too.

Jan 20, 2018
The last time I went was in 2020 or 2021 I think. It got to a point where we just avoided doing the tram all together because they never changed it. Considered going this year, but nothing really appeals to me. Definitely felt like Universal cut corners compared to when I was going 2012-2019. Anyone who is going though save yourself the time and energy and get FRONT OF THE LINE PASS!

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The last time I went was in 2020 or 2021 I think. It got to a point where we just avoided doing the tram all together because they never changed it. Considered going this year, but nothing really appeals to me. Definitely felt like Universal cut corners compared to when I was going 2012-2019. Anyone who is going though save yourself the time and energy and get FRONT OF THE LINE PASS!
I really wanted to do that this year, but my brother is on a tight budget and just went with the standard pass. We can live with it but it's gonna be brutal. The lines are always fucking crazy long. The one for Haunting of Hill House was insane.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
They had the Jupiter's Claim set from Nope last year iirc which looked pretty cool.

Never been to USH or HHN out there. Maybe when that new F&F coaster opens. I'm fighting the urge to hit up HHN in Orlando. Always an absolute blast.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They had the Jupiter's Claim set from Nope last year iirc which looked pretty cool.

Never been to USH or HHN out there. Maybe when that new F&F coaster opens. I'm fighting the urge to hit up HHN in Orlando. Always an absolute blast.
Yeah, they have Jupiter's Claim again this year in the tram tour and they're doing an original theme for the Terror Tram called "Exterminatorz."

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
what haven't they changed about the tram? why is it bad?

Jan 20, 2018
what haven't they changed about the tram? why is it bad?
They had the Walking Dead for a very long time. At first it was a cool experience, but then it was just like alright they aren't changing it up at all. Which I get they want to use props they have on hand, but I don't know for years it just didn't change. The mazes I understand bringing back and reusing the assets from time to time, but the tram was just a afterthought. Especially when they already had a Walking Dead maze also during those years.

q4core

Feb 26, 2021
DMV
Haven't gone since 2017 but going this year. Looking forward to Evil Dead Rise and Stranger Things.

Jan 20, 2018
I really wanted to do that this year, but my brother is on a tight budget and just went with the standard pass. We can live with it but it's gonna be brutal. The lines are always fucking crazy long. The one for Haunting of Hill House was insane.
Ooooof. The first year I went was without the pass and after standing in line for 3 hours just for I think it was Halloween or The Thing, I told myself never again. It was worth spending the extra for front of the line, especially if you bought before it got closer to halloween when the price would shoot up.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to Hollywood on October 1st, it'll be my first time ever. I've been watching a lot of vlogging updates for it, but seems like all anyone talks about is the Florida one

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I want to go back to HHN badly, but my partner hates haunted houses and doesn't want to go =[ It's not something that I'd do alone (lines can be damn long, so it's best to have someone to pass the time with), and all my friends who would be interested have long since left Florida. I'll have to settle for watching YouTube walkthroughs in the dark.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
People here referencing "front of the line" -- you mean the Express pass, correct?

Just want to make sure Universal hadn't introduced yet another money maker to avoid the outrageous lines.

Personally, I'd lean toward Frequrent Fear and just hitting the houses across multiple days.

mantis23

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be headed to Orlando in October for my annual trip. Really looking forward to The Last of Us.

Ive seen a few people mention the express passes which are nice but if you can swing it I really suggest the RIP tour. you have your own tour guide that takes you from house to house with no lines whatsoever. Typically you can do all of the houses, plus 1-2 rides, plus stops for food and restrooms in about 4 hours. We used to go down for an entire weekend to try to do everything. Now we spend roughly the same amount and knock everything out in one evening.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
People here referencing "front of the line" -- you mean the Express pass, correct?

Just want to make sure Universal hadn't introduced yet another money maker to avoid the outrageous lines.

Personally, I'd lean toward Frequrent Fear and just hitting the houses across multiple days.
I think the Express pass is $150 more per ticket right? That's a killer....

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think the Express pass is $150 more per ticket right? That's a killer....

It varies based on date, but yeah, it's crazy. The FF pass is for multiple dates in September and October for the same cost as the cheapest Express ticket. I get not everyone can take advantage of it, but as someone who lives here -- I greatly prefer it. I usually get at least one night where I'm not sweating to death.

Jan 20, 2018
It varies based on date, but yeah, it's crazy. The FF pass is for multiple dates in September and October for the same cost as the cheapest Express ticket. I get not everyone can take advantage of it, but as someone who lives here -- I greatly prefer it. I usually get at least one night where I'm not sweating to death.
Correct, I guess they changed the name of what it is. If I remember correctly they have a limited amount of the Express passes. Considering how long the lines can be though it's definitely worth it. The older I have gotten the lower my patience has been for some of the crowds these events bring out. Some of the teens that come are just flat out disrespectful or looking for trouble.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we did it last time, but my brother works in VFX and with the strike, he's expecting to not have any work for 6 months so we are being frugal.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I'm hitting up Orlando in September, this year is going to be crazy with how deep they're going with the event lore and Dr. Oddfellow. I only ever go one day a year so Express is a must for me. I'm wary of Stranger Things this year, it was straight garbage the last time they did it, especially at Hollywood.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I have so much traveling to do end of September/early October that I might miss this year unless I go at the very end. Bummed cause I'd love to see the Evil Dead and TLOU houses.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah we did it last time, but my brother works in VFX and with the strike, he's expecting to not have any work for 6 months so we are being frugal.

I hear you and wish your brother the best. If you know anyone with a Sea World pass and might be into something with a little more of a bootleg feel, you could do far worse than Howl o' Scream. We're taking 10 friends with us at $30 a pop. They also did a great Drag Cabaret show last year that I doubly loved because A) it was a fantastic show; and B) Fuck Florida GOP.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Yep, gonna be there. I think this will be year 8-9 for me. I don't really care about stranger things so it's a bummer that's back. The rest seems fine even if we already had Evil dead rise last year.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
I went last year and managed to do all of them except the weeknd one. Not going this year, though that could change.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also going next weekend. This will be the first year in a while that my group doesn't have express passes because they sold out, and I'm not banking on the chance that they'll still be selling the upgrade the night of, so I'm gonna have to do some planning to get through everything without waiting in a stupidly long amount of lines

Currently the plan is to do TLOU first, followed by Stranger Things because those are the two most likely to have the longest lines. Then Universal Monsters, Terror Tram, Chucky, Evil Dead Rise, etc

Usual strategy is to start at the back of the park and work our way forward
Yep, gonna be there. I think this will be year 8-9 for me. I don't really care about stranger things so it's a bummer that's back. The rest seems fine even if we already had Evil dead rise last year.
Was that at Orlando because we definitely didn't have Evil Dead Rise last year. The movie just came out 4 months ago

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I'm also going next weekend. This will be the first year in a while that my group doesn't have express passes because they sold out, and I'm not banking on the chance that they'll still be selling the upgrade the night of, so I'm gonna have to do some planning to get through everything without waiting in a stupidly long amount of lines

Currently the plan is to do TLOU first, followed by Stranger Things because those are the two most likely to have the longest lines. Then Universal Monsters, Terror Tram, Chucky, Evil Dead Rise, etc

Usual strategy is to start at the back of the park and work our way forward

Was that at Orlando because we definitely didn't have Evil Dead Rise last year. The movie just came out 4 months ago
Oh, I should have clarified. We had a maze in Hollywood called "universal horror hotel". It was originally going to be a evil dead rise maze but for whatever reason they changed the name at the last minute. It's basically the movie with some changes.

View: https://youtu.be/dxCg73gHBHc?si=v8vWXOuw7dJK0R3W

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I should have clarified. We had a maze in Hollywood called "universal horror hotel". It was originally going to be a evil dead rise maze but for whatever reason they changed the name at the last minute. It's basically the movie with some changes.

Ohhh gotcha gotcha. I actually enjoyed that maze and I thought they used the guts of the former year-round Walking Dead maze in a creative manner, like turning the "Don't Open Dead Inside" Door into an elevator shaft with a hanging woman in it

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be there 9/17. I'm at DLR/Knotts for the rest of the week. I may go to UH a second day though.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I would love to go because I love so many of those properties but living in Canada I ain't going this year :/

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando we opted out of doing RIP tour and went with an express pass. For USH we will be doing the RIP tour again.

Looking forward to the M3GAN launch briefing that USH will be having. And I'm definitely hyped for Chucky and the original houses in Orlando.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
How does this work? I was planning on going for a week with a few friends during the last week of Oct. Thinking about doing 4 days for Disney and 2 for Orlando. We were thinking of doing a night at the Hard Rock Hotel to get the free Express Pass for both days.

Do we need to buy anything else to visit the The Last of Us horror night? We were interested in that the most out of the rest.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
How does this work? I was planning on going for a week with a few friends during the last week of Oct. Thinking about doing 4 days for Disney and 2 for Orlando. We were thinking of doing a night at the Hard Rock Hotel to get the free Express Pass for both days.

Do we need to buy anything else to visit the The Last of Us horror night? We were interested in that the most out of the rest.
The express pass offered by the premium hotels are not the same as the ones for HHN. They can only be used for regular park hours.

If you have limited time and want to do everything the RIP tour is the way to go. Even with an express pass it is hard to see and do everything.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

The Halloween Horror Night tickets are different than general park admission. You need to purchase a separate ticket for Halloween Horror Nights. You'll need to see if they have availability for the nights you'll be there. I think around 5 or 6 is when the park "switches over" and the festivities start. The haunted houses are scattered throughout the park. If you have admission you can also go on the normal rides as well. The park is usually very busy for this event and you'll be standing in line forever. If you can afford it the add-on which allows you to skip to the front of the line is ideal.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

God damn this is fucking crazy. They are popping out left and right. I'm wondering if my old ass might be getting too nervous for this.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just a heads up for folks going to LA, Super Nintendo Land is only available during HHN hours if you bought an after 2:00pm ticket and it's open until 10. Every other ticket variation only lasts until the regular park closes at 6 and doesn't let you in the zone when they reopen for HHN at 7.
I'll be headed to Orlando in October for my annual trip. Really looking forward to The Last of Us.

Ive seen a few people mention the express passes which are nice but if you can swing it I really suggest the RIP tour. you have your own tour guide that takes you from house to house with no lines whatsoever. Typically you can do all of the houses, plus 1-2 rides, plus stops for food and restrooms in about 4 hours. We used to go down for an entire weekend to try to do everything. Now we spend roughly the same amount and knock everything out in one evening.
Problem with the RIP tour is that you're only getting one run per house, then you're back to waiting in the standard lines if you want to go through again. Some folks might be cool to go through once but for people like me who go through multiple times and stay from opening until close, you're much better off getting the Unlimited Express pass.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Yep will be there in October. Third year in a row now (Orlando two years ago, Hollywood last year), no plans on missing a year as long as I can swing it

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, would be in LA for Monsterpalooza in October. Might have to combo this experience in :D and yeah, wanted to ask about the express or vip tickets if they are worth it. Seems like it is, especially for a one day visit just to see it

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Just a heads up for folks going to LA, Super Nintendo Land is only available during HHN hours if you bought an after 2:00pm ticket and it's open until 10. Every other ticket variation only lasts until the regular park closes at 6 and doesn't let you in the zone when they reopen for HHN at 7.

I'm going Sep 28 and 29th. Will I be effected? I'm going specifically for Super Nintendo land. I should be able to access it until 6pm both days right?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm going Sep 28 and 29th. Will I be effected? I'm going specifically for Super Nintendo land? I should be able to access it until 6pm both days right?
If you have normal park tickets for Universal, yes, you're good until 6PM. If you also bought standard Horror Nights passes, the RIP tour or any of the Express passes, you're done at 6PM.

Once Horror Nights kicks off at 7, Nintendo Land will close to everyone except for people who bought the "after 2PM day/night" tickets for Horror Nights. They'll be able to go into Nintendo Land until 10pm.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about it, but man those massive lines are such huge turn offs. I prefer Knott's since the lines aren't that big and the tickets are cheaper...
Honestly the massive lines totally suck. There's way too many people. It's a lot of fun but it's a LOT of waiting around.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about it, but man those massive lines are such huge turn offs. I prefer Knott's since the lines aren't that big and the tickets are cheaper...

never done the florida one but it was clear the hollywood horror night is an uneven experience. when i went there is this really intense atmosphere and it absolutely vanishes the second you take the looooong escalators downstairs. curious how the mario area will work at this time.

you have to really spend a shitload of money to get the most out of universal. each person should probably pay for at least the pass for the maze lines, but it's better to get the ride fastpass too i guess. the time i went, we only managed to hit the tram, the jurassic world night ride, one actual maze (which was awesome), and the generic universal horror monster maze. that was the night after something like eight hours. two of them were just the line for the aliens maze.

knott's can have long lines too, but thanks to the layout of the park being in a single enclosed area, they're able to transition from zone to zone a lot better and keep the atmosphere up throughout the park. since they generally don't rely on existing properties, they are forced to be more creative in their maze ideas, even if they aren't as well produced. knott's scary farm is like a c+ on paper but a b+ in execution out of pure effort, while horror nights sounds like an a+ on paper and winds up being a c- in execution.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly the massive lines totally suck. There's way too many people. It's a lot of fun but it's a LOT of waiting around.
I go every year (to Orlando mind you, can't speak for the Hollywood one). While I realize this is definitely a privilege not everyone can afford, I usually tell people that if they aren't local and are making a vacation of the event, then the express pass is an absolute must and should be lumped in with the buy in cost of the event. I'm always able to do the entirety of HHN in a single night with the express pass, it cuts the waiting down dramatically. I don't think I've waited any longer then 20-30 minutes at most per house, on average I'd say it's 10-20 minutes per.

I honestly don't think I'd find it worth it at all if I could only do 3-4 houses in one night, and spent 70% of my time there waiting in lines. If I lived locally and could just pop in and out on a whim, sure, but no way if I am travelling for it.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
I go every year (to Orlando mind you, can't speak for the Hollywood one). While I realize this is definitely a privilege not everyone can afford, I usually tell people that if they aren't local and are making a vacation of the event, then the express pass is an absolute must and should be lumped in with the buy in cost of the event. I'm always able to do the entirety of HHN in a single night with the express pass, it cuts the waiting down dramatically. I don't think I've waited any longer then 20-30 minutes at most per house, on average I'd say it's 10-20 minutes per.

I honestly don't think I'd find it worth it at all if I could only do 3-4 houses in one night, and spent 70% of my time there waiting in lines. If I lived locally and could just pop in and out on a whim, sure, but no way if I am travelling for it.
I've done RIP at both parks now and I agree that Orlando can be done with an express pass. Hollywood is a different beast due to the shows and terror-tram. Also the RIP at USH gives you unlimited front of the line access after your tour (confirmed with USH about this given the new verbiage.)

If you're traveling don't just come to HHN and expect to see it all without an express or RIP tour, the lines are insane. And with this year focusing on IP heavily I think the lines are gonna be even crazier than normal (passes are selling out quicker too.)

Not about HHN, but Knotts too is a place I'd spend to get the fright pass. This year is their 50th anniversary and if the new houses are like last years new houses expect to wait 2 hours minimum to see the new houses. The lines were so long they capped many of them early in the night when we went last year.