Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I already made my decision, but I'm curious what other people would do? Do nothing? Confront him? Call the cops? Do nothing and mind your own business? He's an older white male and he's parked on the side of the road opposite the elementary school watching it with binoculars. I just found it really odd and couldn't think of why he would be doing that. If it was his own kid he was watching wouldn't he be able to just walk closer and watch from there? Is he investigating something? Or is he a perv or stalker (This is what made me feel like I shouldn't just do nothing).

(I called the cops. Almost didn't but then figured he was white so probably would not be so dangerous for him if they confronted him).

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'd probably just call the cops too. I'm not about to approach some nutter on the off chance they do something really stupid.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it looked super sketch like someone was just scoping out various children then I'd totally call the police, I don't care what race he is

OP
OP
Tigress

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
If it looked super sketch like someone was just scoping out various children then I'd totally call the police, I don't care what race he is

Yeah, my problem though with calling the cops on a black person is too many stories of it ending badly and I can't tell for sure if he is doing anything bad. I mean, people have all sorts of reasons you may not think of and it may be something totally innocent.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I would ask him or tell the school

He could be watching his kid/grandkid (which is already weird)

OP
OP
Tigress

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
And yeah, I wish tell the school would have occured to me. I didn't want to confront him myself as I'm a total weakling (and a smallish female so i don't even look scary). But yeah, the school first probably would have been the most reasonable.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Approach him and ask him how everything is going and then report it to office staff and possibly police if I am concerned with his answer. I am actually required by contract to report any suspicious behavior in regards to children since taking my school district job.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how big this guy is, i'd walk over and ask what he is doing. worst case scenario he just drives away, best case scenario he has a good reason (can't really think of a good enough reason to be doing that tho).

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my problem though with calling the cops on a black person is too many stories of it ending badly and I can't tell for sure if he is doing anything bad. I mean, people have all sorts of reasons you may not think of and it may be something totally innocent.

My concern for children far outweighs anything else, especially since I can think of no innocent reason to be sitting outside a school watching children with binoculars for a prolonged period. Any sane person knows this is incredibly inappropriate behavior

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're concerned about the police, but contacting the school will result in a lockdown and the cops called anyway. Just FYI.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
That's super freaking weird, just call the police don't even bother notifying the school. They're just going to call the police anyway, so might as way skip straight to the point.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Tell the school, take note of license plate/car model, etc.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Note the type of car, plates, time. Call the police. If you feel that is to much call the school directly and report it with the information you gathered

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Call the school first and then report to police. Too many weirdos around. Too many school shootings and general violence around.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Police, then take the best photos you can of the vehicle (plates included) and the driver. All from a safe distance

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
My first thought was "dude lost a custody dispute." Could totally be a non-custodial parent fuming at a distance.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
images-1.fit_lim.size_2000x.v1646931119.jpg

Maybe it was this kind of situation

OP
OP
Tigress

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Heh, thanks everyone. Unfortunately it's probably too late to take pics (Unless he's really out there a while but I'd think the cops would ahe found him by now if he was cause this happened an hour ago) but I did give them the type car and color. And yes, I called the cops on him when I got home (I live very close by the school so it wasn't long between seeing him and calling).

I just wasn't sure I was being overparanoid by calling the cops. I mean I don't have kids myself and so in my mind maybe there was a reason to be watching a school with binoculars (But I would figure a parent wouldn't need to be so clandestine about it and could just go closer to watch his kids).