Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
This was a fucking bizarre read

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...kai-works-for-lack-of-sexual-intimacy/.152531

Mobile Suit Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino has been very outspoken in the lead up to the release of the first Gundam: Reconguista in G compilation film on November 29. In an interview with Japan's Weekly Playboy magazine, he spoke about his aspirations for Gundam: Reconguista in G. One particularly standout comment came out regarding Kyoto Animation and Makoto Shinkai works.
When asked what he thought of Kyoto Animation and Shinkai anime, he said, "I see them as my rivals.
Here's a choice quote
He then went on to describe Shinkai's works as "stories about a boy and a girl who are always stretching out their hands towards each other," and said, "And yet the boy's hand never reaches the girl's crotch."

The fuck

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Is this going to be one of those times it turns out to be a weird translation error?

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol what, that can't be translated correctly, or missing some other context. Because that is really bizarre

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tomino has always been a very... strange individual but yeah this is pushing it lol

also this thread title is weird, since he's talking about shinkai, not newer gundam stuff

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Is this the same guy that tried to sexualise a 3 year old girl in 0079?

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Tomino has a history of fucked up comments like this. lmao

Not that it excuses him. Just fun to see people go "wait THE FUCK???" for the first time.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this going to be one of those times it turns out to be a weird translation error?
Or a poorly executed joke.

Need to see if there's a "trend" of him asking for more sexuality in anime, before I condemn as a pervert.
Tomino has a history of fucked up comments like this. lmao

Not that it excuses him. Just fun to see people go "wait THE FUCK???" for the first time.
Well, that didn't take long.

Guess he's a weird old coot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Tomino, the guy who decided writing scenes where babies get their heads blown off by grenades was a good idea, probably doesn't have a leg to stand on in this discussion.

Oct 27, 2017
He wasn't criticizing Gundam, he was criticizing Makoto Shinkai's romances where they lamely just portray young people as just holding hands and that being it. It's literally the whole "holding hands = lewd" thing people complain about that he's complaining about

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
6fb.gif

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to write "did he forget Victory Gundam" and then I read it again and I don't have anything to say anymore.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He wasn't criticizing Gundam, he was criticizing Makoto Shinkai's romances where they lamely just portray young people as just holding hands and that being it. It's literally the whole "holding hands = lewd" thing people complain about that he's complaining about
I mean, I feel like making Shinkai's works more about sex would be completely missing the point of what they're trying to do and why they work

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
ignoring perhaps that Shinkai's protagonists are still in middle school sometimes. His priorities are insane.
FuJc2Sk.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Fraw Bow had the 3 kids taking a shower. They're all naked, if I remember. Little boys point out little girl is flat chested and doesn't have boobs like Fraw Bow.
This is like calling Goku's naked scenes in DB and DBGT as a kid sexualized...yeah it's kind of weird, but clearly isn't meant to be sexual

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Fraw Bow had the 3 kids taking a shower. They're all naked, if I remember. Little boys point out little girl is flat chested and doesn't have boobs like Fraw Bow.

I don't understand how that's sexualization.

Although, it is weird and unnecessary to have naked kids in your anime in the first place, even if it's not sexualized.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda agree in that I would like to more adult relationships in anime and not have them end with a kiss or holding hands at most. The way he phrased it is gross though and he picked a poor example, though there's nothing stopping Shinkai from telling a story about more adult relationships.

I mean how else would you describe a boy reaching for a girl's crotch though
It reads like he wants more sex in general, not necessarily explicit sex scenes. He phrased it in a really vulgar and inappropriate way though.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See this is why most of Tomino's works in Gundam fucking weird. I'm grateful to the man for envisioning the series and bringing it to life, but his work, in my opinion, is some of the worst in Gundam cannon. I know a lot of UC loyalists will want to kill me over saying that, but the franchise is better without him.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhh the bath scene in Gundam 0079 isn't sexualized at all. It's just typical Japanese public bathhouse stuff. Only gets mildly sexual when Fraw runs out of the shower room to see Aumuro outside and she ducks back in in modesty.

Chalk that up to difference in culture.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
You want something actually gross from Gundam here ya go! One of the most hated series.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't tell if people here really don't understand he's just asking for more mature romances or if you're pretending not to...it's a pretty simple point, especially if you're familiar with that types of romances in many anime series