Oct 26, 2017
kotaku.com

Hands-On With Horizon Lego Adventures: A Perfect Fit For Nintendo Switch

The Lego adaptation of the sci-fi open world game feels like PlayStation's Minecraft Dungeons moment

I peppered him with a few more questions before my session ended. How did Hermen Hulst, managing director of Guerrilla back when Horizon shipped and now co-CEO of PlayStation, react when he first played the new game? "He loved it," Symons responded, chuckling. What's Symons' favorite Lego game? "The Marvel one is pretty good because there's so many different playstyles," he said. And finally, does this new partnership mean Aloy might eventually come to the next Super Smash Bros.? "That'd be nice. If you speak to Nintendo and they want to invite us let me know."
There you have it, sounds like the door just opened a teeny, tiny bit. We could live in a world where Nintendo, Microsoft (Banjo and Steve), AND Sony (Aloy) characters could beat the shit out of each other in Smash Bros.

And I don't think Aloy only being in Lego form would be a disqualifier, as Joker I think only predates his appearance/announcement as a chibi version in Persona Q2. So as long as it's SOME form of the character it fits the "must have made one appearance on a Nintendo system" rule IIRC.

Of course I don't know if say, Lego Horizon Adventures adds other Sony characters like Ratchet & Clank and company as cameos would make them eligible. Dunno what Sakurai sees in those sorts of appearances.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Yeah, that's not a rule

Before Brawl "the rule" was only first party characters

Before Ultimate "the rule" was no characters from other first party companies

The rule is that there is no rule

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
If Nintendo had asked for Aloy in Smash Ultimate they would have almost certainly gotten her. I don't think the status of the "door" has changed at all, it'd be a huge boon for PlayStation.
I dunno. I distinctively remember Sakurai confirming that characters HAVE to have made at least one appearance on a Nintendo system to be eligible. I know rules are broken all the time, but it seemed like something you could take at face value.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Yeah, that's not a rule

Rules are whatever defense fans come up with whenever you suggest something they don't want to see.

But personally, I'm over the "who's gonna be in the next one" and want to see more system wide changes to the fighting and stage interaction.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
it'd be pretty cool to have a smash character constantly telling you how to solve the situation you're in

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm still salty Chief wasn't in Ultimate. No Sony reps until I get Chief, sorry.

Doubt Aloy happens, but nothing's impossible if Sakurai wants it. Feel like she's too new to be *the* Sony rep though, but I dunno who else it would be, maybe Ratchet and Clank? Would totally be down for her regardless.

Yeah, that's not a rule

Well, there is *one* rule, and that's really just that they're predominantly a video game character. But that's it, every other "rule" is just a fan thing, it's ultimately just down to "do Sakurai and/or Nintendo want them" and even the one rule could break if they felt like it lol.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I don't think it so it would have been a huge problem in the past regardless. If Sakurai had called up and said he really really wanted Fat Princess, I don't know if Sony would have shot him down :p

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
The only "rule" is that they are a video game character.

Sakurai has said this a bunch of times and specifically called out Goku, SpongeBob and Iron Man as examples of characters who could never be in Smash Bros because they are not video game characters.

If he wants to put Ellie Thelastofus in, the fact that she hasn't been on Nintendo yet isn't going to stop him

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I am not doing another smash entry of

"B-b-but the rules!"

there are none

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Paying homage to old and new Nintendo characters is great...but I did love characters from other major franchises.

It's a good idea.
And in Nintendos hands? Please

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Has anyone who has been asked this question ever responded with "No, I would HATE if they added my character into one of the biggest crossovers in gaming. YUCK!"

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
the only real rule at this point seems to be that the character has to have originated in a video game

but even that is only a rule until Nintendo decides to waive it to make money, which will almost certainly happen at some point

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
goku-fortnite-goku.gif

Soon Nintendo will see the error of their ways...

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
They should put Kat Gravity Rush in after they port Gravity Rush 2 to Switch 2. She can have Raven as an echo and everything.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Tim Symons, franchise development lead producer at Guerrilla Games and the person who led me through my demo, seemed thrilled to be making a childhood dream of sorts come true. He joined the Dutch PlayStation studio five years ago after more than a decade at, surprise, Nintendo.
Here is what's happened:

- Sakurai plays Horizon Zero Dawn, calls it a master piece
- Sakurai advises Symons to leave Nintendo and join Sony, and figure out a way to bring Aloy and the franchise to Switch somehow, so he can add her to Smash
- Symons joins Sony, suggests to grow the Horizon franchise they should collaborate with LEGO, first with a set, then with a game
- Symons says LEGO games are huge on Nintendo Switch, also big opportunity to grow the franchise among younger audience
- Symons gets asked if Aloy could join Smash one day now that she is on Switch, says "That'd be nice" and puts the ball in Nintendo's court
- Sakurai gets asked by Nintendo if he can add Aloy to Smash and Sakurai acts surprised:
tenor.gif

/s

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The ONLY rule is "only videogame characters". That's it. Any other "rule" is just made up delusions.

so yes, this might happen

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I dunno. I distinctively remember Sakurai confirming that characters HAVE to have made at least one appearance on a Nintendo system to be eligible. I know rules are broken all the time, but it seemed like something you could take at face value.
If Genshin ever makes it to Switch 2 (it was announced for Switch years ago and clearly is never coming) and you already have an account with her on it, technically she would be in that.

That said, this is a pointless statement. Surely everyone would want their character, but this would almost certainly be stopped by someone in either company along the way for a multitude of reasons. If it ever happens, great, I'll eat the most crow. But I spent years going to every interview from Blizzard to Spike Chunsoft asking everyone which character of theirs they want in Smash Bros. because everyone has an answer and they all knew it would never actually happen.

Wish upon a star, it would do about as much good.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
It's gotta be Kratos if it's a sony character.

Unless something changed in FW, Aloy is boring as fuck. In addition to Kratos, there are at least 20 sony characters off the top of my head I'd take over her.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
If Genshin ever makes it to Switch 2 (it was announced for Switch years ago and clearly is never coming) and you already have an account with her on it, technically she would be in that.

That said, this is a pointless statement. Surely everyone would want their character, but this would almost certainly be stopped by someone in either company along the way for a multitude of reasons. If it ever happens, great, I'll eat the most crow. But I spent years going to every interview from Blizzard to Spike Chunsoft asking everyone which character of theirs they want in Smash Bros. because everyone has an answer and they all knew it would never actually happen.

Wish upon a star, it would do about as much good.
Aloy in Genshin is still so funny, because of the fact that her inclusion was so half assed, she lacks the ability to be upgraded like the rest

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
the only rule for Smash at the moment it seems is they are video game industry characters. When Snake was still closely tied to Sony we had the Sonic (Sega), Snake(Sony) and Mario(Nintendo) matchup in Brawl.

Dingo

Jul 19, 2022
The only charater that's not in smash atm that feels like a huge hole in gaming history is the slayer.
And maybe chief.

Dunno if they'll ever make it since western reps are so hard seemingly to get past sakurai.

Oct 25, 2017
Would any dev on earth actually say no to this question?

Reminds me of when people ask actors if they want to start in X big budget movie and then there's like 100 articles saying the rock wants to do iron man or whatever