Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022

View: https://x.com/Chris_Dring/status/1839643300996800770?t=_TK1WP5kNH0JENFQGS3gLQ

View: https://x.com/Chris_Dring/status/1839635680642605525
11.8 million console and PC games were sold across Europe in August, a rise of 7% over the year before.

That's according to the latest figures from GSD, which tracks digital sales from most major publishers and physical sales in all major European markets.
The jump in sales in August was due to discounts and promotions around legacy games, including August's No.1 game: Grand Theft Auto 5 (sales up 5.7% year-on-year). Plus the launch of Star Wars Outlaws, which was the second best-selling game of August.

Note: Black Myth: Wukong, which was the other big release of August, is largely absent from the charts as the game's digital sales are missing from the data (the physical version reached No.68).
It was a disappointing launch for Ubisoft's big Star Wars game. The first week's sales were less than half of what EA's Star Wars Jedi: Survivor managed to achieve back in 2023. It did, however, sell better than 2020's space combat game Star Wars Squadrons (also by EA).

Other games that jumped up the charts this week include Kingdom Come Deliverance, which is at No.4 after the game fell below £3 on Steam. Meanwhile, Borderlands 3 bounces up the charts following the release of the movie and the announcement of Borderlands 4.
One of the most talked about games of August was Sony's Concord release, which failed to find an audience and was subsequently pulled from sale. The game charted at No.347 across Europe for August. It was the 13th best-selling new game of August, behind Nintendo's Emio: The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club. Note: Nintendo games do not include digital sales.

In terms of hardware, just over 300,000 games consoles were sold across tracked European markets, which is a drop of 42% over August last year but 12% up over July.

PS5 is comfortably the No.1 console, despite sales falling by more than 50% year-on-year, while Nintendo Switch is No.2 (sales down 25% over August last year). For across tracked markets, overall console sales are down 29% year-to-date.
Over in accessories, 1.1 million items were sold across tracked markets, a drop of over 17% year-on-year.

European GSD August 2024 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)

PositionTitle
1Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
2Star Wars Outlaws (Ubisoft)
3Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
4Kingdom Come: Deliverance (Deep Silver)
5EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
6Borderlands 3 (2K Games)
7Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
8Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
9Titanfall 2 (EA)
10It Takes Two (EA)

maze001

Sep 18, 2024
Wow @ Outlaws. What a massive flop.

Getting beat out by GTAV in your launch month is crazy. Oof. It's no wonder Ubisoft is panicking.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

Sales up 5.7% year on year….
latest

Outlaws is a disaster, damn, less than half of Jedi Survivor sales...
Jedi Survivor opened higher than FO and as of a few months ago is already the eigth highest selling SW game in history. Disaster may be a little strong here as it is probably redeemable with updates and sales.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars is just not the IP it once was.

The game itself isn't bad.

More like people prefer lightsaber games as much as people like to say they hate them lol.

I'm a huge Star wars fan and Outlaws never looked interesting to me tbh.

Battlefront had lightsabers and did great.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Star Wars is just not the IP it once was.

The game itself isn't bad.
As said above Jedi Survivor has sold a lot to make it to the position it is in compared to other SW games. The previews running up to release were not significantly positive, and technical issues were noticeable at release. There was the whole restarting your game if you started playing the early access edition, due to progression bugs. I do not think the SW ip, or the fact that it was a non-lightsaber game were really issues that prevented this game from doing better.

More like people prefer lightsaber games as much as people like to say they hate them lol.

I'm a huge Star wars fan and Outlaws never looked interesting to me tbh.

Battlefront had lightsabers and did great.
SWBF has lightsabers but is primarily an on foot shooting game, even the sp did not have a lightsaber.

So rough math tells me it sold a little over a million units (that's what google says squadrons sold.), which is by no means is great, but it's not a complete disaster in my opinion? I be it's being treated as such Because Ubisoft is just in a bad spot. I guess the name of game here is legs, which I very much think will pay off as that is where Ubisoft thrives... I at very least think it has a better shot than avatar...

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
As a casual fan of Star Wars (I've not seen all the movies or shows but the lore is cool).

Jedi/Sith and lightsaber battles are by far the biggest draw. I was immediately disinterested in Outlaws when it was revealed.

Not saying it's impossible but it's definitely an uphill battle to draw folks like myself in without those aspects.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
So rough math tells me it sold a little over a million units (that's what google says squadrons sold.), which is by no means is great, but it's not a complete disaster in my opinion? I be it's being treated as such Because Ubisoft is just in a bad spot. I guess the name of game here is legs, which I very much think will pay off as that is where Ubisoft thrives... I at very least think it has a better shot than avatar...
The last four AC games launched with roughly 1.575 million sales in the first week, so a weaker but not horrendous launch make sense. This is also a licensed game though, so they will need to hit at least on par with AC when it comes to the first four months, where they hit around six million consistently.

I don't agree that lightsabers are necessary but regardless, I just don't think comparing the Battlefronts to Outlaws is a super fair comparison. Very different circumstances.
I was responding to the other user that mentioned SWBF and lightsabers.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Ubisoft freaked out after outlaws. People is tired of their "release game fast even if broken, we will fix it with patches on the way" shit practices.

Assasins Creed Shadows needs to be an inmaculate game performance-wise to clean their reputation a little.

Unfolded

Jun 27, 2023
Outlaws is a disaster, damn, less than half of Jedi Survivor sales...

I wish we could see how many people played the game using Ubisoft+, I'm one playing the game right now on xbox and PC using ubisoft + premium.

Remember that EAPlay pro is not available on consoles and only in a few selected countries, while ubisoft+ premium is available on xbox+pc and in more countries

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
SWBF has lightsabers but is primarily an on foot shooting game, even the sp did not have a lightsaber.

The SP did have lightsabers, you play as Luke and Kylo Ren.
Although they aren't the focal point of course but the point still remains. Lightsabers are a draw.

There's even a mode where you can play as people who use lightsabers and not be troopers at all. The marketing also showed stuff like Rey vs Kylo, Yoda vs Maul.

So yes, it is predominantly a shooter but there's enough lightsaber action involved to get people interested immediately. It was a huge selling point imo.