Oct 25, 2017
Can't say that Certain Affinity instills me with confidence, especially for a game inspired in Monster Hunter, but cool that Xbox Games Publishing is expanding even more. Hopefully we'll see more quirky single player stuff too (like As Dusk Falls) and more companies outside USA/UK working with them.

Also cool:

but they don't wanna force their studios on it.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
this must be the title that Leyou invested 10 million on back in 2017

lori

Oct 25, 2017
i don't even understand the point in trying when the competitor in that genre is selling 13m

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Dauntless was right there. Game is surprisingly fun although limited in terms of content. Would like to see that studio try their hand at a more realistic looking game.

i don't even understand the point in trying when the competitor in that genre is selling 13m
My guess? A good back up in case Monster Hunter ever goes excluisve. Maybe they know that Sony has tried or has money-hatted Monster Hunter 6.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
This is dope. I said this in the Xbox thread but there's plenty of room for more Monster Hunter-likes.

They just need to nail the monster designs. Dauntless was a bust because none of its enemies were memorable.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Weren't they suppose to be making a transformers game as well?
was that secretly cancelled?
cause transformers looter shooter (or at least that's my understanding of it), just sounded sick… unless that & this are the same thing, which then makes my imagination run crazy 😶

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Because one version of that competitor is switch and pc exclusive, and the other version could be moneyhatted by sony at any time. Its a genre with a fanbase, always room for more in it.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Supposedly XGS is looking for more co-op games for the network effect, but they don't wanna force their studios on it. So they went looking for a game like Monster Hunter, and as it turns out, CA was making one, so they signed a deal to publish.

Huh. This tracks though - iOi are supposedly working on, what, a Diablo-like Looter? Then you have Avalanche working on Contraband.

If this keeps studios like Bethesda, Ninja Theory, and what not on making excellent singleplayer experiences - I'll take it

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Exciting! I really wanted to get into MH: World but the menus and stuff was too much for me. I'm assuming this one would be more casual friendly and easier to just sit down and play.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Wrap it up, guys!

No point making anymore Military Shooters, CoD has won!

Arcade Racers not named Mario Kart! Get outta here!

Oh, you trying to make a Soccer Game? No point when FIFA is here!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yes!!!!

I always thought this genre was left untapped.

Even Horizon: Zero Dawn, I always wanted the team to add more MH elements to their game. I doubt they did that for Forbidden West, but would've been so cool fighting mechanical monsters in a group.

Guerrilla is working on a MP title and Horizon was envisioned to be a co-op Monster Hunter esque game so it could happen

Jun 15, 2020
I'm listnening to Grubbsnax now. The reasoning he explained is that co-op is king for Game Pass, but they don't just want Left 4 Dead-style games. they want a wide variety of co-op games. And they're not gonna get Monster Hunter on Game Pess Day 1...

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I lost track of all the unannounced games XGS Publishing is working on now. Off the top of my head:

Kojima Cloud game
Princess Momonoke-esque game
Wu-Tang RPG
Project Dragon (RPG) by IOI
And this Monster Hunter-like game

Probably forgetting a bunch. Game Pass is going to be more ridiculous then it already is.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Just because that's the style of the game doesn't mean they are interested in competing directly 1:1 with monster hunter, or that there isn't room on the market for different types of titles. You all can view things so narrowly sometimes.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Just because that's the style of the game doesn't mean they are interesting in competing directly 1:1 with monster hunter, or that there isn't room on the market for different types of titles. You all can view things so narrowly sometimes.
Also more games like it pushes the genre forward also. Resulting in Monster Hunter getting better also.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Yes!!!!

I always thought this genre was left untapped.

Even Horizon: Zero Dawn, I always wanted the team to add more MH elements to their game. I doubt they did that for Forbidden West, but would've been so cool fighting mechanical monsters in a group.

It's not that much of an untapped genre. There are so many Monster Hunter clones already, though I guess it is technically a genre that Xbox hasn't seen much of.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Because one version of that competitor is switch and pc exclusive, and the other version could be moneyhatted by sony at any time. Its a genre with a fanbase, always room for more in it.
I mean, Sony and Nintendo money will literally never compare to MS money to begin with if recent events weren't a solid reminder.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I do think there's space for more Monster Hunter likes. The concept of Dauntless at least was/is alright since it's a more streamlined version of MH with less of the management stuff you have to do in between fights. Lots of people seem to like God Eater. Vita had a couple too that weren't so 1:1 like Freedom Wars.

Sep 8, 2019
I mean, Sony and Nintendo money will literally never compare to MS money to begin with if recent events weren't a solid reminder.
And if Capcom or someone else had to choose between Sony and MS for a deal what Studio do you think will make it?
It's not all about "I have infinite money" if that is the case MS would have dozens of deals with asia studios.

Aug 23, 2018
The MS publishing rumors (this, IOI Dragon, Wu Tang, Belfry, etc) are some of the most exciting and weird things going on at Xbox right now, and that's saying a lot given the 30-40 internal studios they'll have

They've also been floating out there for awhile, I hope we start seeing some of the announcements soon

lori

Oct 25, 2017
And if Capcom had to choose between Sony and MS for a timed deal what Studio do you think will make it?
It's not all about "I have infinite money" if that is the case MS would have dozens of deals with asia studios.
Depends on just how good that paycheck is when you're dealing with capitalist megacorps strictly interested in making more money. This is a thread derail though, my apologies

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do think there's space for more Monster Hunter likes. The concept of Dauntless at least was/is alright since it's a more streamlined version of MH with less of the management stuff you have to do in between fights. Lots of people seem to like God Eater. Vita had a couple too that weren't so 1:1 like Freedom Wars.
I enjoyed Soul Sacrifice

That would be pretty surprising coming from Xbox as it's basically some NFT blockchain game.

Based on the trailer on the website it looks like a sci-fi co-op shooter.

wtf is this

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
The MS publishing rumors (this, IOI Dragon, Wu Tang, Belfry, etc) are some of the most exciting and weird things going on at Xbox right now, and that's saying a lot given the 30-40 internal studios they'll have

They've also been floating out there for awhile, I hope we start seeing some of the announcements soon
Totally agree. A lot of non-mainstream titles and ideas. I'm hoping that a lot of the teams and leads on these projects aren't just white dudes. We know Wu Tang game is from POC devs and I'm hoping some of the leads and teams for the others are as well.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Could be cool. I want to get into MH because the gameplay seems great, but the art style, setting and aesthetic is just so bland to me. Would love MH gameplay with better set dressing.

It's not that much of an untapped genre. There are so many Monster Hunter clones already, though I guess it is technically a genre that Xbox hasn't seen much of.
There used to be a lot of clones, but it's dried up by quite a bit in recent years as some of those IPs killed themselves due to baffling platform decisions or publishers stepping out of competing altogether. It's pretty much just Dauntless now for competition.