• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or the 1.17 update actually improved the fan speed management of the game? My OG PS4's is not kicking at jet levels anymore, and even menu screen doesn't launch my console into space like before.

Am I having some weird placebo effect on this, or is it actually a real thing now?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess, the menu was probably running at an unlocked framerate before. This has happened with other games in the past.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My PS4k turns into a jet while on the world map the same way Horizon Zero Dawn does but I don't really notice it otherwise.

Suavesteve

Oct 28, 2017
I had my pro in a pretty opened entertainment center but it will still sound like a jet engine when playing any graphic intensive Pro game. I decided to stand it up outside of the entertainment center and now it's pretty quite. The Pro needs open space for maximum airflow. Even if you have it several inches from the back of the wall, the heat that bounces from the wall will make it hotter and louder.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even the slim turns into a jet? Oh man

Yep, on the map the fan goes wild... while this has to be the less intensive part of the game xD Even the title is busier if it's not prerendered.
I have not witnessed a difference between before and after.
I had to update because of a bug i had, there is a skill that's supposed to refill something from boy when he casts something (too lazy for spoilers) and it didn't work, on the contrary it prevented boy from using the thing the other thing is supposed to refill. Anyway, the patch corrected the bug.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't notice any difference on my Pro. Still loud as hell, no dust in the fan either. I just lost the fan lottery I guess.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
My slim (traded up a 500gb to the 1tb SWBF2 bundle and sold the sealed game lol), is completely silent playing this game. I have pretty low ambient temps though. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard it running in any game.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
Nope!

plane-taking-off.gif

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I've just been playing and my PS4 ramped up to crazy sound levels while I was stood upgrading gear at the store. It was like I had two Dreamcast taped together.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
wtf...........even the slims are turning into jets with this game?

I really hope Sony looks into better cooling methods come the PS5.....because I have NOT had a quiet PS4 yet.....I've had two Pro's and a launch unit.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, the fan shouldn't have kicked into maximum gear when the map is being viewed. I wouldn't be surprised if that got fixed.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
At the very least, the fan shouldn't have kicked into maximum gear when the map is being viewed. I wouldn't be surprised if that got fixed.

For some reason lots of developers leave their framerates unlocked in maps and menus. I really wish Sony/MS would mandate that shit. There's no reason to put unnecessary strain on the system as it pushes well past 60fps in a map/menu.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I would love a revision to the PRO being announced at E3. Smaller with improved cooling solution.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
c'mon , it can't be that bad ?

It is honestly really bad with my Pro. I can hear it through the walls in another room lmao. Often even with headphones on if it not much is happening something like God of War, and even Ni No Kuni for some reason, make it sound like it's trying its hardest to take off.

I'm going to re-do the paste again next weekend and I might try liquid metal.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use a headset to game so thankfully I don't have to worry about the jet engine noise, but I still have to warn my neighbors before playing

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game and my PS4 is so god damn loud. I'm half tempted to put it in another room close by and run a longer HDMI cord to it.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
It is honestly really bad with my Pro. I can hear it through the walls in another room lmao. Often even with headphones on if it not much is happening something like God of War, and even Ni No Kuni for some reason, make it sound like it's trying its hardest to take off.

I'm going to re-do the paste again next weekend and I might try liquid metal.
Jesus. Sony needs a new model for the Pro

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
My slim still takes flight every time, luckily I've got the plat now and can come back for another play though on PS5 or for any dlc

Oct 29, 2017
It's seriously so bad, I'm always waiting for the PS4 to shut off and never turn on again. Feels like it's as loud as those og 360s we're last gen