Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
arstechnica.com

Google sued over fatal Google Maps error after man drove off broken bridge

Google allegedly gave drivers bridge route for years despite correction requests.

Philip Paxson wasn't familiar with the area and didn't know the bridge was collapsed, the lawsuit said. "Google Maps directed Mr. Paxson to travel home over the Snow Creek Bridge. Unbeknownst to Mr. Paxson, a very large section of the Snow Creek Bridge had collapsed in 2013 and was never repaired," the lawsuit said.

There was no artificial lighting, "and the area was pitch black at 11:00 p.m.," the lawsuit said

In September 2020, "Hickory resident Kim Ellis used the 'Suggest An Edit' feature on Google Maps to place the Google Maps Defendants on notice that the Snow Creek Bridge had washed away," the lawsuit said. In November 2020, after Google took no action, "Ellis again contacted the Google Maps Defendants via the 'Suggest An Edit' feature pleading for Google Maps to update its navigation system," the lawsuit said.

bridge-to-nowhere.jpg

There was a similar issue locally where for years Google basically recommended driving into a river as the shortest route (yeah, The Office joke but real). I do feel Google have some responsibility for this - the directions were wrong for 7 years.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm…more concerned by the fact that the collapsed bridge was unmarked and unbarricaded. That thing should be closed off.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I would have some sympathy for Google, but the fact they ignored someone contacting them multiple times telling them the bridge was broken is pretty messed up and they absolutely deserve to lose a bunch of money for this.

I'm…more concerned by the fact that the collapsed bridge was unmarked and unbarricaded. That thing should be closed off.
This is also a huge problem, plenty of blame to go around.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Google definitely has some fault in this but shouldn't the town(or county or whatever) have done something about that road just going to a hole?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

I would have some sympathy for Google, but the fact they ignored someone contacting them multiple times telling them the bridge was broken is pretty messed up and they absolutely deserve to lose a bunch of money for this.
both of these

fuck Google AND why the fuck wasn't the bridge closed to traffic

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
The Snow Creek Bridge reportedly collapsed in 2013 and wasn't repaired. Barricades were typically in place but "were removed after being vandalized and were missing at the time of Paxson's wreck," according to The Charlotte Observer. The lawsuit has five defendants, including Google and its owner Alphabet.

"The Bridge Defendants refused to properly maintain the bridge, leaving it in a horrendously dangerous state of disrepair for years," the lawsuit said. "The Bridge Defendants refused to place reasonable and proper barricades in front of the hazard to alert drivers of the deadly drop and failed to enact inspection measures to ensure that barricades remained in front of the hazard until necessary repairs occurred."

Personally I'd say it's 99% the fault of these people.

Who the fuck leaves a road open, with no signposts or barricades? Just a drop, with no lighting.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care how badly they were "vandalized", it's crazy that they removed the barricades blocking a broken bridge. That's shockingly negligent.

Even the provided pictures of when they were up indicate a woefully inadequate setup. Look how close these are to the drop, on an unlit street:

Bridge-With-Barriers.png

One of the roads on my mail route ends on a bridge that's been out for a few years, and there are concrete Jersey barriers, fences, and construction barrels in addition to the signs. You shouldn't be able to get a vehicle anywhere near that kind of hazard.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
who would be responsible for that, the North Carolina Department of Transportation?

can they be sued as well?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, if they have concrete proof that the guy contacted Google twice but they still never fixed their maps then they're about to be taken to the fucking cleaners...

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
who would be responsible for that, the North Carolina Department of Transportation?

can they be sued as well?
It seems the land was owned or managed privately by at least two businesses…? Judging by the defendants. Seems totally crazy to me that there wouldn't be any governmental oversight assuming the bridge is accessible to the public. A literal death pit they've had around for a decade.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Google shares some of the blame but most of it goes to those who are meant to be responsible for the infrastructure itself.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I...don't know if using the 'suggest an edit' feature counts as contacting Google.

I'm far more concerned about the 'a very large section of the Snow Creek Bridge had collapsed in 2013 and was never repaired' bit. Why did the county/town/whatever not put concrete barriers up for something completely broken that long? Piddly road closed signs are not sufficient.

Whoever is responsible for the road and the bridge should be sued. Google...eh.

Oct 25, 2017
I would place higher blame on the DoT because holy shit that is ungodly terrible handling of a destroyed bridge.

However google is at enough fault here to deserve the lawsuit and reparations as well. They should not be ignoring multiple requests to amend their maps, and it had been out for 10 years, they shouldve had plenty of time to update whatever caused that road to even be apart of their mapping services in the first place.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
I read about this yesterday… seems like that area of road/bridge is privately owned so they can basically do whatever.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
That is just insane. If you're going to leave it like that for ten fucking years, at least put in place a permanent barrier and ample warning.

It is way more concerning how blindly people follow the navigation instead of following the actual street.
100% human error from the driver.

I thought this as I entered the thread, but look at those pictures and then imagine driving there in the dark with no street lights. It'd be very easy to miss.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
A navigation is a more convenient map, from my perspective, you are still in full responsibility for where you drive; the navigation only gives suggestions for possible routes which may or may not be up to date. I think the blame rests mostly on the one responsible for the bridge, and the driver (if you cannot see the road sufficiently, you must go slower until you do).

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's the most pathetic barrier I've ever seen. Needs multiple layers of barriers, and cones you can hit safely, with enough time to see and stop.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, after checking with the local paper (https://hickoryrecord.com/news/loca...cle_fdbdbf18-57cf-11ee-899b-67e5bd62df73.html), the bridge in question is on a road connecting two residential streets in a typical suburban neighborhood. There's no way in hell that should've been left unblocked, for any amount of time. It's not some obscure unpaved farm access road or a neglected trail through deep woods. People live right next to this thing.

Even without GPS, a person unfamiliar with the area could easily end up taking a wrong turn or trying to cut through, and absent a barricade, that's a deathtrap.

Last edited:

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go, point 3 of the additional terms of service for Google Maps. I don't see the family winning this.

Actual Conditions; Assumption of Risk.
When you use Google Maps/Google Earth's map data, traffic, directions, and other content, you may find that actual conditions differ from the map results and content, so exercise your independent judgment and use Google Maps/Google Earth at your own risk. You're responsible at all times for your conduct and its consequences.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Inflammatory Joke; History of Posting Highly Inflammatory Drive-Bys
That's what you get for not using Waze.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how badly they were "vandalized", it's crazy that they removed the barricades blocking a broken bridge. That's shockingly negligent.

Even the provided pictures of when they were up indicate a woefully inadequate setup. Look how close these are to the drop, on an unlit street:

Bridge-With-Barriers.png

One of the roads on my mail route ends on a bridge that's been out for a few years, and there are concrete Jersey barriers in addition to the signs. You shouldn't be able to get a vehicle anywhere near that kind of hazard.

uh...yeah google might kinda suck here but the ones i'd personally direct my ire to are the people who erected this pathetic 'barrier' and then removed it entirely WTAF?!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Reading the article it seems to imply that the bridge was on private land and the owners were just too lazy/stupid/tight-fisted to at least warn people that the bridge they're heading towards in the pitch black no longer exists!

On his daughter's birthday as well. That's awful.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I would be looking to sue whoever the local authority is (whatever the US equivalent of that is) before Google

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Nothing is going to happen to Google over this. They aren't responsible for infrastructure collapsing and the local government not blocking/repairing it.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Google has its share of blame in this. They were contacted and didn't fix their maps. Of course the city, county, or whoever has the bulk of the blame for not adequately closing it off. People don't need to rush in here to say this. Google will be alright.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wow, victim blaming already?

I could easily see someone drive over that without good lighting
It's your responsibility as a driver to drive in a manner you are able to see what's in front of you.

Maps sometimes get things wrong. That's not really an excuse for following those wrong directions as a driver. If anything, the town should be the one sued for not having any sort of warning or barricades on that route.

Last edited:

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
There's a dilapidated bridge walking distance from my house and that thing is closed off with concrete barriers and fencing so no one drives over it.

Incredibly negligent of the town.

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
It's your responsibility as a driver to drive in a manner you are able to see what's in front of you.

Maps sometimes get things wrong. That's not really an excuse for following those wrong directions as a driver. If anything, the town should be the one used for not having any sort of warning or barricades on that route.

The guy would have fallen even without Google Maps though. There was literally no barricade or sign.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah those pictures of the gap are pretty bad. That should had jersey barriers and warning signage. Whoever owns/maintains that road I would put as 100% liable.

Terrible way to die, makes me think of Chappaquiddick and Kennedy from way back - very short drop, but a setup that is fatal in the wrong situation.

I'm not sure I'd consider Google liable here any more than a map maker, but they are notoriously bad at correcting/updating Maps based on user feedback.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I would be looking to sue whoever the local authority is (whatever the US equivalent of that is) before Google
The developers that own the place are tiny LLC's. Google is getting sued because I doubt they are going to get any money from the tiny companies for their negligence.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
The municipality carries so much blame here. How are there not massive concrete barriers in front of the bridge? How did they not apply for ARP funding to fix it?

Here we go, point 3 of the additional terms of service for Google Maps. I don't see the family winning this.

When you use Google Maps/Google Earth's map data, traffic, directions, and other content, you may find that actual conditions differ from the map results and content, so exercise your independent judgment and use Google Maps/Google Earth at your own risk. You're responsible at all times for your conduct and its consequences.

Ah yes, the mighty terms of use. "Please trust our product and use it exclusively! Except when you shouldn't then don't blame us!"

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Terms of service don't prevent a company from being sued for a negligence lawsuit, and they don't prevent a judge from finding them liable.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Google has had a history of doing fuck all to fix several map errors in my experience and should be incentivized to do so by losing this trial.

They have a virtual monopoly on maps.

They are the defacto standard.

They have profited from this (I bought several android phone for better integration with google maps).

People WILL rely on them for life & death situations.

They get all this giant amount of data from tens of millions of GPS-enabled smartphones that they can EASILY, like really EASILY use to fix these kind of issues...

... but they fucking don't. With great power comes great responsibility.

If no cars or extremely few cars drive on a particular stretch of road for a day. Consider there might either be road work happening, or something more permanent like this. Send a fucking google car to check it out, or if you don't want to send cars to check it out, at least STOP recommending the goddamned route. Done. No human intervention needed. Zero dollars spent.

As an imaginary judge, I hereby rule against Google on this matter. You wanted to rule maps? You did it! Congrats! My sentence is "With great power comes great responsibility". Spiderman is never wrong.

And yes, feel free to sue local governments as well for not putting concrete barriers at the bridge entrance. It's not an either/or situation, it's a sue them both and let the jury decide.

You know all those tiny ass font contracts that go on for 50 pages? The ones you're supposed to read when you get a credit card, or rent a house, or use software, or update iTunes, or get cable, or see a doctor, or get your car repaired, or do any of a thousand fucking things in life?

Let it be known that I don't respect them. Either you do the right thing or you can get fucked as I will ignore the small print and fight you in court if I need to. We'll see if the jury decides every human being has to spend 10 years of their lives reading unnecessarily complex contracts. I'm sure the Jury LOOOOOVES that shit.

Life is too fucking short to do certain things.

Things change if the contracts are between two companies that are both lawyered up. In that case, it is assumed those companies are legally sophisticated, and, more importantly for me, a human being got paid the big bucks to read that drab, soul sucking legalese.

EWW EWW EWW!!! Those things are the worst literature ever.

Last edited: