Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Add it to the Google graveyard.

The Verge said:
Google is taking one of its biggest steps yet toward permanently phasing out Google Play Music in favor of the company's newer YouTube Music service. Beginning today, you can finally transfer your entire Google Play Music library — artists, albums, songs, playlists, purchased music, personal uploads, and recommendations — over to YouTube Music with just a few taps. This is a crucial process that some subscribers of Google Play Music have been waiting for before they're comfortable making the transition that Google wants to see.

YouTube Music will be your only streaming music option from the company later this year when Google Play Music is fully shut down. Google isn't specifying exactly when that will occur, but it says customers will receive plenty of warning ahead of time. There's a lot of hand-holding going on here, with Google saying "we know it will take time to get used to, and we're here for you" in a new video about the change.

www.theverge.com

YouTube Music can finally import your library and uploads from Google Play Music

Google Play Music is expected to permanently shut down later this year.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Does the transfer also include music your uploaded yourself to your account?

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
ah awesome! look forward to the fullscreen ad for youtube music to appear every time i use the ios app to continue indefinitely then (well, until alphabet create another servie and drop it of course)

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
YouTube Music is so awful compared to Google Play. I moved from GPM a while ago despite loving it because I knew they'd kill it sooner or later. Spotify won't be going anywhere, although I miss having my own music.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Im not at all a fan of what YouTube music appears to be right now, and have even less faith in Google's ability to iterate on the platform further.

Might be worth taking the significant curation hit to just start over on a more stable platform.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised and very disappointed.

Google Play music has gotten no meaningful updates in... 2 or 3 years. UI is still dated.

I want to switch to Spotify but ... the YouTube premium is really worth it and I don't want to pay for YOuTUbe premium AND a music streaming service. I don't really care about my old library anymore, that's why I got Google Music in the first place, storing my library in the cloud was a HUGE benefit to me because I had this super big library of rare tracks from my favorite bands, from tape trading and show downloads back in the late 90s, 2000s. But..... now... like, I don't care about some random ass live show from some band I listened to in the 90s.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate but expected. I got my library on Plex at this point so a nonissue, but it's a shame that they keep killing options that empower users.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
They need to get someone in the place to manage their software suite and roadmaps of that software more than 3 months into the future. They are no longer this quirky, indie company. Their userbase is putting money, time and effort behind these applications and services and it's not like they even have graceful phasing out programs either.

Have any reporters interviewed the company and actually received a decent answer for this?

Nov 8, 2017
So we're going from a service that lets me play and use music on any device or software of my choice to a DRM-riddled fuck up that only lets me download to mobile devices and requires me to connect to their service to authenticate regularly.

I thought the music industry had already learned their lesson regarding DRM back in the 90''s and early 00's. Oh well, I guess I'll be buying less music from now on then.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
YouTube music sucks though, I've used it when it was introduced and switched back to Google Music in a month or two.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Spotify here I go.

I'm gonna miss Premium youtube and Google music for $8
You still get it for $8.
I still have that really cheap $7.99 subscription plan that I got when Google Play Music "All Access" first launched in 2013. Will I get to keep it with YouTube Music?
Somewhat unbelievably, the answer to this question is yes. Google is doing right by customers and letting them maintain that promotional rate from years ago even after switching over to YouTube Music. And if you live in a market where the $7.99 also got you ad-free regular YouTube, you'll be keeping that, too. New customers can't get anything even close to that sweet of a deal. Enjoy.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Back to 'Google Music' in 5 years.....

I wonder when Stadia gets moved to 'Youtube Games Live' then to 'Google Games' :p

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
But YouTube Music is trash compared to Google Play
I'm not a fan but I haven't used it much just because google play music works fine. YouTube music seems geared towards video even if you can stream just music. It's too busy.

Really the only gripe I have with Google play music which was the same problem I had back in the day with windows media player was the random option sucks. I'm pretty sure it is not shuffling based on a changing float number because the only time it seems like my play order will change is if I add music. I could be wrong but it feels like I'm always hearing the same songs on "shuffle" unless new songs are added to a playlist.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
How comparable using YouTube Vanced with YouTube Premium.

I might as well cancel my play subscription and jump on Spotify if this is going to be the case.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
For those who've used both, what's different with YouTube Music? I'm reluctant to move over without feature parity.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked being able to buy songs and albums directly from Google music to then download a copy to my computer (Google music lets you download 2 copies). I take it YouTube music doesn't have that feature and is basically just streaming like Spotify?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, where am I going to be able to upload and access songs from my library? Literally the only reason I still have GPM downloaded.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I was subscribed to GPM for a few years, I only cancelled when I started to lose confidence in Google.

Feeling pretty justified but sad right now.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I didn't even know they'd planned on this. I know they make you pay to be able to play songs in the background, but do you have to have premium to play songs in the background that I already own? If so, I'm done with google players because I'm not paying to play my own music.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan but I haven't used it much just because google play music works fine. YouTube music seems geared towards video even if you can stream just music. It's too busy.

Really the only gripe I have with Google play music which was the same problem I had back in the day with windows media player was the random option sucks. I'm pretty sure it is not shuffling based on a changing float number because the only time it seems like my play order will change is if I add music. I could be wrong but it feels like I'm always hearing the same songs on "shuffle" unless new songs are added to a playlist.
THANK YOU I'm glad someone else notices this. So many music apps have had this problem and it drives me insane. When I hit Shuffle I want a random selection of music from the chosen playlist with NO REPEATS until all the tracks have been played.

In a perfect world shuffle continuous play should work like this:
All the songs get tossed into a pool and mixed up (say like a bag of letters in scrabble) then each song is pulled out of the bag and played. Once all the songs are out of the bag, put them all back in, mix them up again, and keep playing. I can't be the only one that wants this right?

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know a dude who's going to be crushed by this. He apparently has a lot of obscure metal music uploaded to his account, which you can't find on any streaming service.

Edit: Wait, I didn't read the article. It says you can transfer your uploads to YouTube Music. I guess this doesn't seem like too big of a deal then.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Is it if you have it on a PC you can stream it to other devices, or something else?
Basically you add folders for Spotify to scan your PC for music, add them to playlists, download those playlists if you're on a mobile device while on the same network as the PC (also I had issues with Windows Firewall preventing that so make exceptions for Spotify).