SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
This comes more from Japanese culture and a bad translation.

Like, Goku doesn't say he never kissed Chi-Chi or that he doesn't know what a kiss is, the joke is that Goku is old fashioned as old culture dictated that kisses were something private that couples shouldn't do in front of others, and is shocked at the audacity of Trunks and Mai asking if you can kiss in front of others and that he never kissed his wife in front of others...but Vegeta misunderstands because Goku only implies the latter.

It's why in Japan no one cared or made memes out of it, Japanese fans were just like "Goku was raised as a hermit by old men and his wife seems old fashioned herself...yeah, this makes sense" because...well, fans around the world are usually the samein many ways and will heavily criticize bad moments or scenes, the kiss joke scene wasn't one of those there.

I think the issue was that the joke was too much revolving around Japanese culture and less blatant than it should be for people around the world.

It makes the joke go from Goku being old fashioned and Vegeta misunderstanding, possibly also playing with the fact that Vegeta is kinda a foreigner himself, that Goku somehow never kissed his wife or knows what a kiss is, into everyone thinking the same as Vegeta and putting it as a dumb joke that makes Goku into a bigger idiot than ever.

I mean, kisses were so private that many traditional weddings or Shinto weddings didn't even have the couple kissing because why would you show that in front of others!?

To be fair, i don't know how to translate the joke without explaining so much it stops being funny, it just ended up being an unfortunate gag that made many people think Goku doesn't know what a kiss is despite knowing what it was before when talking to Old Kai.

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like they could've translated it exactly how you explained it, Goku being bashful about the idea of kissing in public/the open
But that's an interesting tidbit. How has it not come up till now (unless it has)?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another time a translation or dub has been botched when it comes to Dragon Ball, please say it ain't so!

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Where do y'all get memes from Japan from?

"It's why in Japan no one cared or made memes out of it,"
If we're using that as a bar.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
It's legitimaly one of the dumbest and funniest moments of DBZ, so no issue with that on my part.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think it not becoming a meme in Japan comes more from Toriyama's interviews about Goku having no concept of romance being more widely known over there, so that scene wouldn't be very surprising for fans that would talk about something like that. It also wasn't played up too much, unlike some other humorous moments.

The manga also had that line, but the scene as executed there left much less space to come up with alternate interpretations.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think no matter how you read that scene it's funny and very Goku-like. I never understood the memes it makes complete sense to me and never read like "Goku never kissed Chichi before." Goku is just not romantic at all.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the premise of this thread is correct.

If this is based on the idea that Japanese fans didn't make a big deal out of this, (1) how do you know that?, (2) how do you know that's not because this sort of characterization is more expected by Japanese fans than American fans who grew up with a dub that made Goku less childlike?

Also this exact joke was present in the manga version of Super too, which went with the same interpretation in its translation as the anime dub AFAIK.

Also also, Goku being old fashioned about romance seems like a way bigger stretch than him not knowing anything about romance.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but...

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the premise of this thread is correct.

If this is based on the idea that Japanese fans didn't make a big deal out of this, (1) how do you know that?, (2) how do you know that's not because this sort of characterization is more expected by Japanese fans than American fans who grew up with a dub that made Goku less childlike?

Also this exact joke was present in the manga version of Super too, which went with the same interpretation in its translation as the anime dub AFAIK.

Also also, Goku being old fashioned about romance seems like a way bigger stretch than him not knowing anything about romance.
Yeah, and according to the OP's logic

Goku: I'm old fashioned about relationships
also Goku: Is marriage food

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I would actually say thats great localization.

What Goku says in the dub is a lot funnier.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
What was that thing that happened (i dont remember it well cuz i saw it like 25 years ago) when Bulma had to hide a Dragon ball in her pantiesand when she took her out Krilin tried to smell the dragon ball to check if it had bad smell, but Krilin didnt have a nose????

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Goku being totally ignorant about kissing makes more sense to me then him having old fashioned hang ups. If it were the case, I guess it may be Chichi influencing him there though, since Grandpa Gohan didn't teach him literally anything about women, so he certainly wouldn't say kissing shouldn't be in public. And Roshi certainly wouldn't have taught him that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
songokuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Goku doesn't say he never kissed Chi-Chi
He absolutely does though.

cRUrYeE.jpg

the joke is that Goku is old fashioned as old culture dictated that kisses were something private that couples shouldn't do in front of others, and is shocked at the audacity of Trunks and Mai asking if you can kiss in front of others and that he never kissed his wife in front of others...but Vegeta misunderstands because Goku only implies the latter.
Nah.

(That being said, it looks like he does know what the word "kiss" means. So there's that, at least.)

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
That joke was always bad, but the manga made it even worse, because while the anime made it dubious whether he meant kissing or kiss feeding a senzu to someone the manga dispells that ambiguity to a point that even if it is indeed a mistranslation it could have been handled better.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
That joke was always bad, but the manga made it even worse, because while the anime made it dubious whether he meant kissing or kiss feeding a senzu to someone the manga dispells that ambiguity to a point that even if it is indeed a mistranslation it could have been handled better.
The manga didn't make anything worse, it's the exact same exchange as in the TV series.
(And again, no, it's not a mistranslation.)

EDIT: My bad, the manga added Vegeta's "sono... kiss o..." line... I wouldn't say that changes the joke / dispells any kind of ambiguity though.

Last edited:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
The manga didn't make anything worse, it's the exact same exchange as in the TV series.
(And again, no, it's not a mistranslation.)

EDIT: My bad, the manga added Vegeta's "sono... kiss o..." line... I wouldn't say that changes the joke / dispells any kind of ambiguity though.
Imo, it does, in the anime they leave it a bit in the air, because kiss feeding a senzu isn't exactly common and they don't mention a kiss outright iirc.
"You put your mouth against hers" in this context could be interpreted both ways imo, that's why I like it better in the anime because it makes it work better joke wise as a misunderstanding than Goku never kissing someone.

Oct 26, 2017
If this is based on the idea that Japanese fans didn't make a big deal out of this, (1) how do you know that?
OP doesn't know that.

Japanese fans were screencapping the anime and laughing about it. The conversations look pretty identical to the English ones, down to people calling him a bad dad, bad husband, and complaining about him getting dumber in Super. Conversation looks like this on average:

『ドラゴンボール超』悟空さん、2人も子供いて、キスを1回もしたことがなかったwwwww

I think most anime fans probably understand what all those w's mean. (Goku has two kids but has never kissed anyone lololol)

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Imo, it does, in the anime they leave it a bit in the air, because kiss feeding a senzu isn't exactly common and they don't mention a kiss outright iirc.
"You put your mouth against hers" in this context could be interpreted both ways imo
Not sure it would make much sense for him to find only one of those two icky though...

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Not sure it would make much sense for him to find only one of those two icky though...
I don't think it was exactly him finding it "icky", but more him being confused that Trunks fed the senzu that way tbh
But it's like I said, the joke never was that good to begin with, honestly they should have just had the feeding scene and be done with it.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
He absolutely does though.

cRUrYeE.jpg

Nah.

(That being said, it looks like he does know what the word "kiss" means. So there's that, at least.)

This is confusing me. He originally describes it as putting their lips together instead of kissing in the first panel which seems to suggest he doesn't know what kissing is. But then Vegeta asks if he's never kissed before and he responds to that, but seems to think it's obvious he's never done it before and furthermore doesn't seem to understand what the relationship between kissing and marriage. Is Goku just picking up that kissing is what they were doing from context and didn't actually know what kissing was before this? Or does he think kissing is something completely different?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
99% of the time, fans have the same reaction regardless of what country they're from. All that really changes is the percentage/"loudness" of any particular reaction in comparison to others.

This is especially true of Shonen titles & such that are aimed at children so they tend to avoid topics/jokes/etc that require more understanding than the visuals & furigana provide. The exception would be the Japanese wordplay & puns but that's always optional to understanding the scene.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
This is confusing me. He originally describes it as putting their lips together instead of kissing in the first panel which seems to suggest he doesn't know what kissing is. But then Vegeta asks if he's never kissed before and he responds to that, but seems to think it's obvious he's never done it before and furthermore doesn't seem to understand what the relationship between kissing and marriage. Is Goku just picking up that kissing is what they were doing from context and didn't actually know what kissing was before this? Or does he think kissing is something completely different?
I could see it as him knowing what kissing is (as in, he's seen other people kiss before and he knows what it's called), but simply not "getting" why anybody would want to do that nor what it means / "what it has to do with being married".
Him describing it as "putting their lips together" doesn't necessarily imply that he's entirely unfamiliar with the act, in my opinion: it could also be that he thinks it's silly / icky and that's why he puts it that way (a bit like how somebody who doesn't care about sports at all could say something like "look at those dumbasses chasing after a ball!").

(That being said, I don't think it makes much sense that he had two kids but has never kissed his wife and doesn't even know why people would expect him to. I Imagine Toriyama simply didn't care and just thought "meh, screw that, I think it's funny!")

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
OP treating their friend's head-canon as gospel with 0 receipts and immediately getting corrected, gotta love it.