SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I've watched Deadpool & Wolverine today. It was probably the first movie I went alone after since 2016. I forgot about how it feels like a therapy. When I was waiting for the movie to start, it was like a dream. I wasn't thinking about my life or problems. Just me and the movie. I should do it more often but other than Gladiator II, I don't have interest in any other 2024 movies.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great way to just get away from things and relax for a few hours to a good flick. I like to go during the day, usually get the whole theater to myself or mostly to myself.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Hey let's meet at the movies and not talk for 2.5 hours.

Been going on my own most of the time for more than a decade.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I started going solo every so often, to me it was always a group activity but there's definitely an appeal to it solo depending on the movie.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah I go alone more often than with anyone else. We just moved to an apartment that is literally like 500 feet from an AMC so I've been going even more lately lol

OP
OP
SilentEagle

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
People go to the movies with others?!?!
Between 2011-2014, I've went with my friends. 2014-2017 with my father or myself. 2018-2023 with my narcissist ex-GF (sadly)
Hey let's meet at the movies and not talk for 2.5 hours.

Been going on my own most of the time for more than a decade.
You are right but somehow movie dates have a charm. I'll probably propose a movie date to my next GF.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably 80% of the time is me going to the movies alone.

I'm sure that number would flip if I wasn't single, but it is what it is.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I love the ritual of going to the movies period. The fact that it makes getting distracted and using my phone socially unacceptable is the most important part.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
2 mates of mine are fine, but another one can't help himself and always has to talk / make weird noises to try and "be funny" during movies.

I definitely prefer going alone for movies I really want to see.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely agree. While I love my friends and enjoy hanging out with them, they can be...obnoxious to go to movies with. If I know it's a movie I'm invested in and really want to see, I'm going to see it by myself.

Oct 25, 2017
I got an AMC A-list subscription and it's seriously one of the best values for your money, hands down. I actually wanted to make a thread about it but was worried it may come off as totally shilling, but it's just that good. Completely changes the dynamic of going out to see movies when you can just watch anything playing any time you want without feeling like you have to commit $20 bucks for a select few films that you deem "worth it". $24 bucks a month for 3 free movies a week is god-tier.

Anyway because of this, there are a ton of movies I watch now. My partner isn't on A-list, so she passes on anything that isn't super compelling, and so I go to the theater pretty often by myself to watch whatever is playing when there's free time. Nothing beats getting slightly stoned, sitting back with some popcorn and letting the film, good or bad totally envelop you and take you for a ride. It's seriously the best.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I love the ritual of going to the movies period. The fact that it makes getting distracted and using my phone socially unacceptable is the most important part.
One of the only times I still shut my phone off. I will honor this until I die.
I would but I just would rather stay home and play games most of the time
Feel that. It will be on streaming anyway in a few months and then you can game and watch the movie at the same time!

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I used to have anxiety about seeing movies alone when I was younger, but now it's one of my favorite pastimes. Especially when it's less busy and I'm not seated next to strangers.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Yeah, one of those things that I don't even think about anymore. Sometimes it comes up in conversation and people are like "you go to the cinema alone?" and that's the only time I remember it's not a normal thing for everyone.

I mean it's definitely a little different when you frequent independent and arty cinemas, as there's plenty of people who go alone. I remember the year I moved to the city for university and the art cinema was running a retrospective of every single Hitchcock film, I practically lived there.

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'd do it more often if there was a theater closer to me. If it were as convenient as a walk or short bus ride to catch a flick by myself if my partner isn't up for it - hell yeah. I live in a weird spread out city though and the theater is way on the other end of town.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I've only done it once myself but I've never understood why this has always been seen as something kind of weird to do. It's not like you're talking to people during the movie (as long as you aren't an asshole).

Eating at restaurants alone though? Love that shit.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I go to the movies alone 75% of the time. I got a pass at my local chain and have to go 3 times a month and often I go to movies that my GF does not want to see.

Probably going to see Long Legs or Trap this weekend alone.

Movies I've seen with people in theater this year: Twisters, Inside Out 2, Challengers, Dune 2, Lisa Frankenstein, and Mean Girls.
Movies I've seen alone in theater this year: MaXXXine, The Bikeriders, The Woman and the Sea, Furiousa, The Fall Guy The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, Monkey Man, Civil War, Love Lies Bleeding, Drive-Away Dolls, The Zone of Interest, American Fiction, Ferrari, and Wonka.

Last edited:

manifest73

Oct 28, 2017
It really is pretty great, I mostly go to see repertory films and it is hard to convince people to go with me to see a movie from the 40's so I see a lot of them alone.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, solo movie going is one of my favourite things to do. I have an Odeon subscription in the UK and it's easily the best value service I pay for. You get exactly the same experience as paying for the cinema, but as long as you see 2+ movies a month it's worth it. Going solo also means I can go to the last showing at night when it's quiet and get the best experience.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I discovered it way too late in life and then covid happened and now I just rarely care to go to the movies anyway

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I've done it since I was a teen I'm 45 now and still enjoy it.

Pure concentration and no distractions. Even better if it's an afternoon screening.

I don't get people who feel going solo to the cinema is weird

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
There was one year where i would go see a movie every other Sunday or so at 10 am by myself. It's the only way i ever enjoyed going to the movies.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
I go alone all the time.

I mean.. I used to, very few movies make me go to the theater, the last one was the Mario movie, and for that one I went with a friend lol.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
do it all the time. matinees, especially on cheap tuesdays are a delight. usually not too busy and the other patrons are respectful. not having to worry about other people is the best.

you're presumably there to watch and concentrate in pitch black silence anyway. don't really need anyone else there to do that to distract you. in fact that's one of the best parts about it compared to consuming a film at home where you have ample distract.

I get people like having someone to discuss things with afterwards but it's still not a necessity.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I like going alone at 11am on a Tuesday and there's only like 4 other people in the viewing. Pretty rad.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I used to go alone quite often. It helped me to absorb a movie more. I thought it was nice.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I love it. So relaxing. It was downright therapeutic for me 15 years ago when I moved away to a new city and didn't have any friends at the beginning and was stressed about life. It helped me cope.

Also, you made this thread the day adter the anniversary of this article:

www.resetera.com

Ten years later, this article from The Onion is still the best. Does it describe you?

https://www.theonion.com/fucking-loser-at-movie-all-by-himself-1819575335 I feel attacked.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Arm room on BOTH SIDES 🥹 I watched Neon Demon in a completely empty theater by myself. It was magic. Almost meditative.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I do it all the time and it's great. It's a nice way to disconnect from the world for 2-3 hours. I went last week to see Deadpool and going this week to see Trap.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I've spent most my life going to the cinema alone and rarely got shit for it….I mean you're sat there for 2 hours in silence anyways unless you're a prick. It's totally fine.

the only people who have an issue with it are insecure arseholes who are scared of the dark.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Been doing this for the past year. I usually go to the movies alone and then meet up with a friend or two for dinner or lunch afterwards.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Been going alone almost exclusively for the past half decade plus. Last time I went with someone, they made us late and I missed a good 15 minutes or so of Dunkirk's opening. 😤

If you start going to film festivals in particular, there'd be no way to co-ordinate going with others because of preferences and schedules.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
The only movie I've ever seen myself in the theater was The Force Awakens. I pretty much could not stand to be spoiled any more (long story) so I grabbed any ticket I could find. I'll probably go see DP&W solo because it's hard finding the time to go with my wife or any of my friends just due to it being released in the summer season.

TFA was fine solo, but I had a better experience seeing it the second time with people I knew. That's just how I am.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
But who do you talk shit on the previews with? Who do you ask what happened when after coming back from the bathroom? Who do you analyze the movie to death with during the end credits and as you're walking out?!