SiamShade

Jul 11, 2020
So, after an extremely rough start with our baby, my wife and I have decided that we deserve some great vacations next year. We plan to travel to Japan for around 20 days with our baby daughter, who will be about 18 months old by the time (spring 2025).

We would like to know any advice about traveling with babies, any shortcomings, any possible troubles.

It will be a very conservative travel, but we want to visit Disney and Nintendo parks. Also the Castle of Osaka, Hiroshima, and of course Tokyo and Kyoto.

Maybe to avoid the hassle of checking in and out with luggage, we might take a same-day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima, Osaka, and so on... what do you think?

We are well aware that it will be slow-paced traveling, with possible entire days lost, that's why we will take 20 days to enjoy 15, letting 5 be lost between jetlag and the baby being a baby.

One thing to consider is that my baby has very sensitive skin and an allergy to milk and eggs. We will likely have to travel with her food or, at minimum, cook something every day, so a small kitchen is completely obligatory.

Any help is appreciated. :D

Jan 23, 2024
Have you traveled overseas or on a long trip with the baby before?

Do you know the language? It's definitely doable but the primary concern I would say is communicating if something happens with the baby and you need a pediatrician visit for some reason or another. Milk and eggs are definitely common in Japanese cuisine so taking her food is good but a kitchen isn't really that common in your average hotel.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure your stroller is light and thin. I see tourists bring over their like mega off-roader strollers or whatever and those things barely fit anywhere. I assume people buy them thinking it's Japan and they'll be walking alot so they need something durable, but more than anything you want something light but also can be folded up easily cause if you're at a restaurant or something you'll wanna be able to get it out of the way.

This is a common Japanese stroller size and this is good enough:

コンビ ホワイトレーベル メチャカル ハンディ オート4キャス エッグショック HG|コンビ公式ブランドストア

【コンビ】ベビーカー。機能満載なのに軽量4.7kgを実現!片手で軽々持ち運びできる「持ちカルグリップ」、産まれたての頭を守る衝撃吸収素材「エッグショック」を搭載した“お出かけ三ツ星ベビーカー”です。

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
I would take a backpack toddler carrier. Or a foldable lightweight stroller like the qbit stroller. That's what I did with my 2yr old. We took both because some temples are not stroller friendly and it was easier using the carrier. Japan is not really stroller friendly outside of modern location. You can ask me any questions you may have.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Japan but I did just fly cross country with a 20 month old and definitely some kind of carrier so that you can wear your kid either on your front or back is essential. So much easier to get on and off a plane when you can have both hands free and not have to worry about carrying or leading a toddler around by the hand.

Get to the airport early and let them run around a bunch right before boarding and you might get lucky and eat up a chunk of the flight with a nap. Many airports have kids play areas with stuff they can climb on to tire them out.

I forget what they're called but you can get special markers and special paper where the marker only shows up when drawn on the paper. A good activity to kill some time on the plane without worrying about them drawing on stuff.

I don't know if this is the same everywhere but the airline I flew on considered a "lap infant" to be any child under two. Technically they could fly without having to buy them a seat but if you can afford it I highly highly recommend getting them a seat anyway especially for a flight that long.

Cbrun44

I first took my kids to Japan when they were 6 and 3. My son who was 3 at the time had a few moments, one being at Disney, but ultimately they were fine.

They were extremely used to plane travel by that point but I could see that long flight being a possible issue.

That being said I'd say if you think you can deal with a few minor bumps go for it and enjoy yourself.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Well, you do you, but I'd try and make sure the baby is okay with being on a plane for I don't know how long, depending where you are, it's a trip that will make even grown people grumpy...

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's better if you travel near your place with short car rides until your baby is older. It's important to see how your baby behaves during a 3-4 car ride. If they cannot behave here properly imagine on an 8 hour flight...

Also keep in mind the flight to Japan it's pretty long inside a plane. Kids get bored easily, start crying... They might not let you sleep nor the passergers near you.

Also the baby i still too young, no matter how impressive Japan is, they will not remember anything.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Get your plane tickets early so that you can get a bassinet seat for your daughter. 18 months should still be young enough to use one. That will save you so much hassle during the flight, and will also probably be the most comfortable option for your daughter.

Have a contingency plan in place just in case your child accidentally eats eggs or something with milk in it. If you don't speak Japanese, prepare a card in Japanese that you can show to someone.

If you want to make set up base in Kyoto for a few days that would work well going between Osaka and Kyoto, but not Hiroshima. If you only want to do 1 day in Hiroshima, which I don't recommend, you could do a day trip from Kyoto, but multiple day trips to Hiroshima from Kyoto would be a big hassle.

If you bring a stroller, bring one of those really tiny lightweight ones that you can collapse with the push of a button.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
So, after an extremely rough start with our baby, my wife and I have decided that we deserve some great vacations next year. We plan to travel to Japan for around 20 days with our baby daughter, who will be about 18 months old by the time (spring 2025).

We would like to know any advice about traveling with babies, any shortcomings, any possible troubles.

It will be a very conservative travel, but we want to visit Disney and Nintendo parks. Also the Castle of Osaka, Hiroshima, and of course Tokyo and Kyoto.

Maybe to avoid the hassle of checking in and out with luggage, we might take a same-day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima, Osaka, and so on... what do you think?

We are well aware that it will be slow-paced traveling, with possible entire days lost, that's why we will take 20 days to enjoy 15, letting 5 be lost between jetlag and the baby being a baby.

One thing to consider is that my baby has very sensitive skin and an allergy to milk and eggs. We will likely have to travel with her food or, at minimum, cook something every day, so a small kitchen is completely obligatory.

Any help is appreciated. :D
Good thing you're brining food for your baby cuz there is a ton of stuff here that has hidden ingredients in it like milk, eggs, etc that you'd never suspect. If you're running low on food, be sure to learn how to look up ingredients on the food labels and the occasionally listed allergens with the camera OCR feature.

Also, Siam Shade?🤘😎

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I've taken my kids overseas several times now (Paris, Nice, Dublin, Rome, Monaco, etc). Once at 3 and 1 and again at 4 and 2. So I'm no slouch when it comes to international travel and my kids.

That said…We're going to Japan next year and we're leaving the kids with my parents. I've heard from too many people that Japan is not kid friendly unless they're 8+ years old and capable of sitting on their own bar stool at an izakaya.

So more power to you if you go through with it.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My kid's 17 months old and we're in Japan right now. Bring a light stroller, something that can fold away and you can carry easily. Many places are not stroller friendly and stations here and there, you'll be lugging it and the toddler up many sets of stairs.

Miedo

Oct 27, 2017
Living in Tokyo with two small children the best advice I can give is when you exit a train station look for wheee the elevators or barrier free routes are . Most places in public have baby changing rooms in cities . It may be different at some far off in the mountains locations. If going to Tokyo Disney I would not recommend to transfer at Tokyo station, better to use a station with far less walking for transfer time with a baby like Shin Kiba ( it's almost a kilometer at Tokyo station coming from metro or other jr lines to the line that Disney is on)

Next, you can have your luggage shipped to your next hotel or destination for a small fee from basically any convenience store or the hotel itself may offer that. We do this often when traveling so we don't have to deal with kids and luggage .

For allergies , information on menus or packaging will list milk or egg products being used or processed at the same facilities. Usually it will be written in English too .

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Not Japan (although I have been multiple times) I took my twin boys to Seoul at 8 months old, flying from Thailand. We brought a very light twin stroller and my wife and I carried 1 each on our chest. Our boys don't have any allergies, but I'd be making sure you take a decent amount of baby formula.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I had to travel with babies and toddlers internationally to visit family. Would never consider it for a vacation until they were older. Having to take a baby to a hospital in a foreign country is a nightmare which I've experienced first hand. You do you though

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I went to Japan last year with my friends and their 5 month old. It went great! Get a bassinet seat on the plane, it'll help a lot! Pick up a lightweight foldable stroller and you're in business. We found that many of the restaurants we went to and tours we went on had loads of people who practically begged to hold and watch their baby while we dined or went into designated quiet areas that would be difficult to navigate with a baby.

New parents deserve to travel, too. Don't listen to anyone who tells you not to bring a baby on a plane - they can pick up noise cancelling headphones. Just do your best!

OhhEldenRing

Aug 14, 2024
We took our daughter to Japan when she was 10 months and at that point she was sleeping well and able to enjoy playing with people or point at things and make babbling noises. For us we bought a very light stroller, one handed collapsible and changed between that and a baby carrier on our chest. At that age going on the back isn't great for babies when exploring but you can definitely have fun.

Positives. There are lots of available nursing rooms in places like Tokyo Station and Skytree so you'll have privacy and comfort when feeding during the day. Locals will also absolutely fawn over your child. Not a day went by that whole month when someone didn't kawaii over her. It was kinda nice because she is adorably cute. Even now two years later.

Downsides. Your days are going to end early for the babies bed time. You'll need to cram a lot in and that's fine. I also went out exploring at night when my family were asleep with my camera and GoPro just to take in the vibe so remember to be flexible with your time and your partners and you can generally enjoy Japan even with a baby in tow. The other thing is restaurants. You'll find some great ones but you'll lose out on the cost types.

Dont be afraid to raid a 7eleven or a Lawsons for pre-prepared meals either if you want an easy night. They're of fantastic quality. Especially the fruit sandos.

Next, you can have your luggage shipped to your next hotel or destination for a small fee from basically any convenience store or the hotel itself may offer that. We do this often when traveling so we don't have to deal with kids and luggage .
This was fantastic for us too. It's so cheap it's basically a free service.

Finally this channel is great and will give you amazing advice.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m2mhvD1q4g

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Do your research. Especially with the allergies and sensitive skin. Find out what kind of hypoallergenic soap you can buy there.

With the allergies I dunno how you're gonna deal with that tbh if you plan on eating out/buying snacks. If your phone has a translation feature you could take a picture of the text to translate the ingredients.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, with allergies and skin issues, this will be tough. Most restaurants there arent great at modifying or subbing their dishes. If oyu can learn the phrases or maybe get your allergies printed on some cards, that would help.

Another issue is finding restaurants that can accommodate your baby. Shouldnt be a problem if you stick to chains but many places I go to have a max capacity of like 7-10 people and the spacing is often small and narrow.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Well, you do you, but I'd try and make sure the baby is okay with being on a plane for I don't know how long, depending where you are, it's a trip that will make even grown people grumpy...

I have a 4yr old and wouldn't do long haul flights until she is 6 at least tbh
We only did 3hr flights so far and that was stressful enough for me.

@OP: if you take the baby you will just take care of her in a strange country. You will 100% be limited and the baby won't care if it is in Tokyo, Turin or Toledo, Ohio.

I would really suggest to do a vacation with a shorter flight and see how it goes.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I'm currently in Japan OP and one thing I've realized is that the distances covered by foot here are pretty long, even using the metro system, going to the sightseeing spots you still have to walk. Also a lot of non automatic stairs. Get a good trolley or a sling(don't know what they are called, the one you keep the baby kangaroo style), it will help a lot.

tiddles

Oct 29, 2017
I travelled to Tokyo and Kyoto with a four year old and an eighteen month old, it was some time ago but it was a great trip! To those who say that it's a wasted trip because they won't remember it, the truth is that they won't remember much before they were five anyway, so the trip will be for your memories, not theirs. For the flight, a bassinet can have pros and cons... It was nice to have that extra space in front of you, but at that age they might not like being strapped into it, and if there is turbulence you have to take them out anyway - no fun if you've just got them down to sleep!

As others have said, carrying them in a sling is recommended... you'll also make new friends from people who come up to you because they think it's cute...

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I just did a 3 hour flight to/from Greece with a 15 month year old and I will probably hold off half a decade before attempting anything longer than that. I would try them with that calibre of flight first. Would be interesting to know what you found tough about the first year as mine has been super easy after the first couple months and I still felt the flight was a bit of a challange.

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't do a same-day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima even without a baby tbh. You're looking at a huge amount of time eaten up in travel when it's easy to spend a whole day just in Miyajima.

Ssyem

Mar 15, 2022
Unless you're visiting family and have no choice, don't take a baby on a long haul flight. They're hard enough without having to be subjected to a screaming infant the whole way, I've had several flights ruined by it. And they won't even remember it ... if you can't arrange childcare then fair enough, what can you do, but if you can I would.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I found Japan to be very baby friendly, especially Tokyo if you're going around with a stroller and using public transport. Way better than UK. Lifts and ramps everywhere. Kids will love Osaka and the park with loads of deers, forget the name, started with an N.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Not trying to tell you what to do at all, but if it was me, I would probably wait a couple of years for a major trip like this. Logistics aside, at 18 months, while the kid will have fun in the moment at Disney, Nintendo, etc., he/she most likely won't remember the trip at all later on.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
As a father of a 22 month old, you and your wife are brave, lol

We just did a one hour 15 minute flight 2 months ago and it was hell. My son just totally melted down on the flight in a way neither of us have ever seen. Big feelings, I suppose. And that was only one hour.

18 months is just a very specific time where toddlers become super difficult and needy, because they are becoming more independent with their physical and emotional wants and desires. They want to explore everything around, even when it's not feasible. Obviously you'll know your child best, but yeah.

Don't let anyone stop you, but I personally wouldn't do a trip like that with a kiddo between 13 months and maybe 3 years, unless absolutely necessary.

aarstar

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like it might be easier to plan a domestic vacation first and see how it goes before jumping all the way into the deep end.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to sound like a downer but between the ~15 hour flight, food intolerances, not knowing the language, and the age of your kid being below the threshold for really engaging with or remembering the trip, I would probably pick something else for now.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I wouldn't recommend it unless you're planning to go every year. You won't be able to truly enjoy your trip. There's a lot of walking. You won't be able to enjoy the nightlife and I'm not even sure you're allowed to go to things like the memorial Museum in Hiroshima. Even things like Nara with a baby doesn't sound like fun. There are also a lot of stairs everywhere.

It's better to either wait a couple of years or leave the baby somewhere else

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Print and fill this out and bring with you or put a necklace around the baby with the card

Siam Shade

Jun 1, 2018
Thanks for all the answers so far. Great inputs.

We know that it will be difficult, but we want to do this by ourselves, not because of the baby. She wouldn't remeber anyway, but she will see her photos... and probably hate us lol

One thing that I would like to know more is about the baby needs in public, like feeding or breasfeeding... how it goes? Do we need any specific place for that?

Rezzzz

Aug 7, 2023
You could do 4 days in Tokyo, then take the highway bus to Kyoto and spend 4 or 5 days there. Next you could take a train from Kyoto to Osaka and have about 4 days there. From Osaka to Hiroshima you could take the highway bus. You should have a couple days remaining to enjoy Hiroshima and travel back to whichever airport you're headed to. Hiroshima you could maybe do 2 days.

If you have the money, you could take the shinkansen and gain a day or two instead of taking the highway bus. But with a baby idk if all that is going to actually happen. It's probably going to be tricky travelling with an infant, and it might be hard to keep a schedule. I would recommend taking the highway bus during the night then arriving in the morning, but that's probably gonna be depending on the baby too. I would also recommend just taking your time and not try to fit too much in a day.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Thanks for all the answers so far. Great inputs.

We know that it will be difficult, but we want to do this by ourselves, not because of the baby. She wouldn't remeber anyway, but she will see her photos... and probably hate us lol

One thing that I would like to know more is about the baby needs in public, like feeding or breasfeeding... how it goes? Do we need any specific place for that?

Use the nursing room like these
2_babies_and_young_children.webp

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
every time somebody says something like "they won't even remember it" I gotta shake my head. you know who will remember it? OP and his wife

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Great. Are these rooms widely available through the country?

Yes, most major government and mall and hotel should have such facilities.

There are various website and app that allow you to look and plan out, but I think they are not in english though?
Like tokyo city has this website that list nursing room, place to rent stroller, emergency doctor location

とうきょう子育てスイッチ

「とうきょう子育てスイッチ」は、東京で子育てするあなたを応援するサイトです。都や地域の子育て支援の情報検索、最新情報をお届けします。

A App that does the same
play.google.com

とうきょう子育てスイッチアプリ - Google Play 應用程式

東京育兒信息應用程序東京育兒開關(舊育兒支援東京護照應用程序)

These two are good for planning and finding facilities like nursing room
comolib.com

今日は子どもとドコに行こう? | 子連れのおでかけ・子どもの遊び場探しならコモリブ

今日は子どもとドコにいこう? comolib(コモリブ)は子どもとのおでかけが楽しくなる口コミ共有サイトです。気軽に楽しめる遊び場、子連れで行けるランチ、家族旅行で行きたいスポットまで、パパ・ママたちの口コミと子ども歓迎度をチェックして、さあ、今日のおでかけ先をみつけよう!
www.walkerplus.com

「知りたい・行きたい」をかなえるニュースメディア|ウォーカープラス

今話題のニュース、エンタメ情報から旬のおでかけ情報まで、世の中のトレンドをどこよりもわかりやすく紹介します。仕事で役立つビジネスネタ、生活を豊かにする趣味・実用ネタなど日常で使えるトピックも満載。遊びも仕事も暮らしも、「毎日に楽しさをプラス」します!

And these also can find baby room
mamamap.jp

ママパパマップ

授乳室検索アプリのママパパマップ。日本中の授乳室やおむつ替え台がある施設を簡単検索。授乳室内のミルク用のお湯の有無や、男性可否、ウォーターサーバーの情報までわかります。
babymap.jp

Baby map - 授乳室・おむつ替え無料検索地図 アプリ

子育てパパママ必見!お出かけの強い味方!「授乳室」「おむつ替え」の場所を探すなら…-参加型-無料検索地図アプリ【ベビマ】

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I just went with a 20 month old last November, and I was shocked how easy it all was (your mileage may vary depending on your kid's temperament). We traveled with another couple and airbnb'd a house, which took away a lot of the difficulties that come with trying to keep your kid controlled in a hotel.

The most difficult part was definitely dealing with jetlag and nap times, but our child was good about sleeping in the stroller when things got too overwhelming. The food allergy may be tricky, but you should be able to spot which foods have milk and eggs in them ahead of time. Err on the safe side with kobini foods.

There's so many concessions to making spaces child friendly in Japan, and so many spots to take them while the other parent goes off and does whatever they need to do. If you need specifics, please feel free to DM me and I can even share the itinerary I had. Best of luck!