• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
Why video game fans need constant validation?

"We have matured"

Video games are just entertainment products.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
I think, THINK, that it while it works well in a vacuum, some people are being put off by a crazy murderous psycho suddenly turning into a emotional struggling father.

This opinion always seems weird to me because the one thing Kratos cared about in the originals games was his family.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Is this some late April Fools article or something? Like it has to be a joke right?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I honestly don't understand these sentiments about God of War raising the bar in storytelling, even in videogames, its ok, im liking it but nothing groundbreaking in games imo, Naughty Dog has done better before hell Hellblade i heard was pretty good and even i don't see any better than some Ubi AssCreed games.

The characters are only interesting in relation with what happened before (in Krato's life) but still. They don't touch on that alot.(haven't finished the game though).

The world design is top notch

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
I think, THINK, that it while it works well in a vacuum, some people are being put off by a crazy murderous psycho suddenly turning into a emotional struggling father.
some of these people are weird....i wonder what are these people's stance of criminal rehabilitation in real life..

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He wasn't depicted as black pre-tragedy in the original game, he was depicted as olive skinned.
He wasn't depicted as olive skinned pre-tragedy in Ghost of Sparta, he was full on white.
Olive?
318e39fcd103468d3438d6c11ca2c57e.jpg

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
No it hasn't. TLOU showed the industry how much it's matured and GOW has come the closest so far in emulating that achievement.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
There is much to absolutely agree with in the article, especially when it comes to "AAA" games.

But then, there's the head-scratching stuff about Dream Daddy's relevance to God of War which just comes off as...odd.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
This opinion always seems weird to me because the one thing Kratos cared about in the originals games was his family.

He left them, then killed them! Hahaha

Then millions of other people....the realization there might be no redemption for him. He has to realize that? Still picking out Poseidon's eye juice or Helios' neck tendons from under his fingernails and he might realize there's no redemption for himself. Hahaha

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So because the fact that Atreus mother is dead (presumably from natural causes) is a plot device means the game isn't progressive enough....Okay.

The entire plot of the game centres around
taking her ashes to the peek of a holy mountain per her wishes.
Literally a place of reverence. The selective standards on display is just gross.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I think some people really try hard do find issues where there might be none and lose track of the context of the characters

Kratos is a fucking god of war, who used rage and vengeance to dictate all or most of his actions, and people are talking about toxic masculinity ?

The name of the game is god of war, maybe it implies that the main character is a fucking badass warlord that maybe, just maybe, has no manners ?

Kratos has matured as a father, but do you expect him to become a mr Rogers?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
And then you have the reliance on violence inherent in the God of War franchise, including the new game. This trope has always turned some people away from video games, and as the user base expands, violence becomes a mechanical crutch. It's a proven approach, but it also limits the range of people who might want to interact with a game.

"Violence in games is often the most shallow, uninteresting kind: physical violence, gore, a man putting a bullet in another man," Anna Anthropy, DePaul University's game designer in residence, said. "I'd like to see more games about systemic violence, about structural violence, about struggling against unaffordable health care and gentrification. There's so much more nuance we haven't explored."

Is the argument here that violence needs to be done away with in AAA games? Also. The bolded. Uhm.

There are plenty of games that don't have violence in them, but that's not going to be the norm 'cause most people aren't going to want to play it.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
He wasn't depicted as black pre-tragedy in the original game, he was depicted as olive skinned.
He wasn't depicted as olive skinned pre-tragedy in Ghost of Sparta, he was full on white.
Are you sure about GoS? The flashbacks are all in black and white, even his brother looks pale, while he clearly is not once you meet him at the end.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I think some people really try hard do find issues where there is none.

Kratos is a fucking god of war, who used rage and vengeance to dictate all or most of his actions, and people are talking about toxic masculinity ?

The name of the game is god of war, maybe it implies that the main character is a fucking badass warlord that maybe, just maybe, has no manners ?

The game deals quite a bit with Kratos' toxic personality traits. Its a big part of the game.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is just me, but I like to attribute said decisions to said developer and not use it to hold over the entire series. Especially when the rest of the series maintained that consistency with the plot point. Not saying you are specifically using it that way, btw.
I mean, I agree. Narrative consistency was hardly something the older God of War games were good about anyway.

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
User Warned: “Reverse racism” nonsense
Do we really need to get into racism?

Having a black voice actor has absolutely nothing to do with the race choice of the digital character on screen. It is even more racist if the developer are forced doing it for being "equal".

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why video game fans need constant validation?

"We have matured"

Video games are just entertainment products.
Not really. The press just think that way. And tries to force the issue.
Most video game fans don't care at all. Th3y just want good games and God of War is a good one..

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
I'm not really sure where there coming from with changing kratos face to look more like Judge's. How exactly does that help with this particural topic?

Otherwise the rest seems pretty on point to varying degrees. This series while not so blatantly sexist as in the past, still could improve on depiction of female characters. It sucks that by the end of the game there's not
a single female character in a positive or even neutral role. There's barely any to begin with, but they consist of Faye whose dead, Athena whose barely in the game and an antagonist, the Valkyries who are victims/antagonists and the witch who at the end becomes an antagonist

Last edited:

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
However, for all the new game can champion in terms of artistic sensibilities and austere adulthood, it still contains many red flags that epitomize continued flaws in the industry as a whole. Because, in the end, God of War is still a story about an angry dude violently killing things with his sharp tools. It's still dripping with masculinity.

I think this point is a good one, though I think the sort of immature/toxic maculinity is just kind of part of God of War's DNA, and honestly, it's a fun part when delivered appropriately. We need a wider variety of games and stories, particularly at this sort of budget, and a critique of such a large and successful release in that regard is a great way to discuss that message...but I think it's okay for God of War itself to have those elements. I'll always want my over-the-top, visceral and exhilarating violence from stuff like God of War and Doom (naturally this stuff doesn't work if it's not delivered in the context of fun gameplay). But as a whole, sure, those sort of elements cover far too much of the industry.

I feel like I'm really stumbling through this thought, forgive me.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I feel like this article accurately reflects how I feel about this game. Was genuinely interested with the whole father son dynamic, but the gratuitous violence just turned me off, especially in the context of "showing your son how it's done". Will not be picking this up. I've grown up, and I hope that more games can too.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is actually true, new Lara has much more depth and complexity than older Lara. I can't even recall old Lara's characterization beyond being knowledgeable about artifacts yet this scene has so much more weight simply because it shows how much she's grown as a character since the first game:

vs.

That's genuine character growth, older Lara was much more static.

That is literally the point of the game.
Arguably the game is very vague about the specific things Kratos has done. Instead it generalizes him as being a monster.

This game is called 'God Of War'....did this Anna want god of war to become 'Life is Strange' instead?

Also citing the new Tomb Raider games is fail in my book. At least one can make the 'excuse' for kratos incite violence..(he's in old norse mythology land with trolls, dragons and demons). What's Lara's excuse for being a psychopath?
One of the major plot points of the game is that the norse god of war was incredibly peaceful.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure where there coming from with changing kratos face to look more like Judge's. How exactly does that help with this particural topic?

Otherwise the rest seems pretty on point for the most part. This series while not so blatantly sexist as in the past, still has a long way to go on depiction of female characters. It sucks that by the end of the game there's not
a single female character in a positive or even neutral role. There's barely any to begin with, but they consist of Faye whose dead, Athena whose barely in the game and an antagonist, the Valkyries who are victims/antagonists and the witch who at the end becomes an antagonist

How do you leave out the biggest female character in the game?

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Not seeing Faye is the entire point. She's supposed to be mysterious, an almost larger than life character that has a huge impact on Kratos and Atreus. Showing her outright would destroy the mystique and sacredness of her character.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
That is literally the point of the game.
I know.

Yep

And i KNOW you haven't played the game.

Good job

I knew I should have edited my post to say "I don't have any issue with it, and these aren't my opinions, just something I'm picking up reading about it on the internet"