• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for more elaboration but questioning where video game critics are at a moment is never a good look just because you disagree with the prevailing consensus.

Reads like the dudes salty as hell.
His criticism was less about the gameplay and more about he and several other Waypoint writers felt some aspects of the story and treatment of certain characters were misogynistic, and that while most reviews praised the story, none seemed to address or mention or even notice this.

It wasn't like, "oh, how can critics think this is good". It was more, "maybe we need to judge and examine narrative more critically"

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
His criticism was less about the gameplay and more about he and several other Waypoint writers felt some aspects of the story and treatment of certain characters were misogynistic, and that while most reviews praised the story, none seemed to address or mention or even notice this.
Oh of course. Just like how Monster Hunter reminded him of Trumps sons killing animals. Guys a tool.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
So that just shows that others don't think it was misogynistic, no need to get upset that others don't.

Oct 25, 2017

It wasn't like, "oh, how can critics think this is good". It was more, "maybe we need to judge and examine narrative more critically"

Oh that makes much more sense than the initial wording.

Yea, I'll probably share those criticisms as well then depending on how stuff is handled and if it turns out to be true.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
C9_A542_B3_D1_EE_4_AD2_ABEC_31_E82_ADC7246.jpg

*chef kiss*

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played a God of War since the original and thought that game was just alright so this wasn't even on my radar. But after those reviews... I'm pre-loaded and good to go for tonight.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
If you had bought some PSN cards and purchased the game from the US store you could have saved yourself a tenner.

But I'm so good at missing out on the best deal (and clicky)

Welcome to the GOW Day 1 team =D

Why thank you, I'll just pop my axe over here, next to this sleeping gentleman and sit at this table for a few hours looking menacing. The alcohol list if you wouldn't mind.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
They weren't upset? It wasn't like, "oh, how can critics think this is good". It was more, "maybe we need to re-consider how we judge and examine narrative"

Just an interesting discussion
Oh gotchya. Well if it's true then I agree with reviewers reconsidering but these day people on the Internet can be so extreme they call things misogynistic that really aren't so I'd have to see for myself if I agree that it is.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They weren't upset? It wasn't like, "oh, how can critics think this is good". It was more, "maybe we need to re-consider how we judge and examine narrative"

Just an interesting discussion

I wonder if those elements were present to demonstrate how off base Kratos still is as an individual despite trying to raise his son. However, Austin has played the game so if it had done so it didn't do it well. At least, I'll keep that in mind until I can play it myself.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I hate that everything has to have a social commentary right now... I'm not against it but everytime I see itI feel like I'm watching a commercial interrupting a football match and performed by the players.

It happened with every Oscar nominated movie from last year.

There should be a better way of integrate this into the storytelling.

Sorry for saying this but seeing that there's a critic for this stuff in God of War reminded me of this.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin is a pretty insightful writer but I feel he reads into things a bit too much and makes some points that I feel are reaching. The Trump thing in relation to Monster Hunter World was one of those. Like he had a good point but I don't think he made it in the best way and it just kind of derailed his own discussion a bit.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Man I can't wait to see first weel sales for GOW. Numbers are going to crush UC4 numbers, I can feel it. :D

So happy for Sony and SSM. Long live SP games :')

SaltyDuck

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Really getting annoyed that I am being recommended videos of game spoilers on YouTube. Wish you could block certain keywords on mobile.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got lucky on youtube. I even watched a few reviews and some other videos and most of my recommendations are unrelated or at best, non spoilery. Then again i watch a ton of stuff on youtube and also use it for music at times so I can see why I had such luck.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how bigger the initial launch numbers could've been if Amazon had gotten their shit together for the pre-order allocations...

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
There aren't really that many questions I can ask at the moment but I'd like to know, given I've seen multiple posts expressing it, what it is about the post game that makes it so compelling. Without spoiling anything, does 'something' change after the game ends? A simple Yes/No will suffice.

nss

Apr 10, 2018

I respect Austin a lot, but sometimes his criticisms feels sooo forced. I have more to comment on in reference to one of their criticisms after which I stopped listening due to it feeling spoilery, at least I thought it was spoilery, so I'll wait til I've finished the game for more context.

I like a lot of the people at Waypoint, but unfortunately can't listen to them all the time as sometimes their criticisms feel so cyclic.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
There aren't really that many questions I can ask at the moment but I'd like to know, given I've seen multiple posts expressing it, what it is about the post game that makes it so compelling. Without spoiling anything, does 'something' change after the game ends? A simple Yes/No will suffice.

The answer to this question is a spoiler..

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I just checked Last of us and that's off 98 critics. Ocarina of time is only 22. But BotW is 109 critics. That's frickin crazy

Almost feels like the number of critics should factor into the all time score somehow.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I have to then question if it is even there. Not saying they're wrong, I obviously haven't played, but the fact that no reviews have mentioned it, kind of makes it hard to believe that it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.