• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Is your level based on stats? I haven't fully figured it out yet but it looks like you have a meter that goes up or down based on gear.

Also do enemies level with you? I picked up some gear that significantly bumped up my defense but I don't particularly feel any beefier.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the Muspelheim trials are some absolute bull, I'm only level 4 but have no interest in them
Anything major I lose by ignoring all of it?

maxed weapon upgrade for the other weapon, you fight a Valk at the end and also there's a trophy for completing the trials.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Is your level based on stats? I haven't fully figured it out yet but it looks like you have a meter that goes up or down based on gear.

Also do enemies level with you? I picked up some gear that significantly bumped up my defense but I don't particularly feel any beefier.
Better gear/enhancements = leveling up. Post-game enemies will scale to your level but just in certain places

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Kratos is not only redeemable to me, but he has been redeemed for me. Adding to that, unpopular opinion, but even without this game, I thought Kratos was redeemable. God of War III's third act told me that.

I am against the idea of anyone being completely irredeemable. I believe that no matter how monstrous someone may be (and yes I know who you'll all be thinking about cause conversations about morality always end up there anyway) they can be redeemed. That is not to say they will be forgiven for their actions because those will never go away. But you can be a better person and redemption can be a continuous process, a constant action rather than something to achieve. Unless, perhaps, the person in question knows and acknowledges all their wrongdoings yet still does not even attempt to atone for them... then I would consider that irredeemable.
Yeah, the Berzerker stone, although a lot of rage is wasted on trying to get to her haha, and yes the I have the runic vest on Atreus and I believe I have the apollo skill, also have the hels touch to stun her.
Ah, well yeah, I gotta agree with you there. There were plenty of times where my Spartan Rage was practically useless because I could barely hit her. You consume it a lot faster when you attack, though, so once again, playing calmly helps. Better to get in range before mashing that light attack button.

Hel's Touch is good too because of the short cooldown and stunning power, so that's a good call. I actually had it equipped too but I barely used it because I forgot about it for the most part.

Anyway, I think I've given you all the advice I could give. I'm not sure how else I can try to help you. Maybe all you need is to take a long break and give it another try some other time. I find that that helps. I slept on Sigrun, and I took a break by watching A Quiet Place in the cinema in between attempts to defeat Gunnr, my first Valkyrie. When I tried again, I did much better and eventually beat them. Good luck, man!

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Jesus, I almost had the queen and I had a rival stone ready but the game refuses to let me use it, got a game over while I was in the middle of the animation.

Edit: Nevermind I got herrrrrrrrr, holy shit.

I am glad ripping their physical bodies apart feels so satisfying when you do finally beat them.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I just got
the Blades of Chaos. Great lead-up. They feel good to use too. Not sure about positioning them as runic weapons but whatever. At this point though, I'm a little too used to the axe and using my abilities for crowd control, so I hope the game gets into a habit and throwing me hordes of enemies occasionally so I have a reason to use them. Niflheim was fun, but lol at the reasoning. We need the heart of this alternate realm bridge guard to cure super god fever.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit...doing the Valkyries at low levels isn't worth attempting.

Beat Kara at level 4 which took forever and Geirdriful at level 5. Kept going guns blazing at first but I always ended up dying with 1 health bar left. Then I just played patient with quick hit and runs and I got her in my first try without using the resurrection stone. Just gonna wait till I get better equipment now to fight the others.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

Beat Kara at level 4 which took forever and Geirdriful at level 5. Kept going guns blazing at first but I always ended up dying with 1 health bar left. Then I just played patient with quick hit and runs and I got her in my first try without using the resurrection stone. Just gonna wait till I get better equipment now to fight the others.

Once you're at level 6-7 you can plough right through them haha.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus, I almost had the queen and I had a rival stone ready but the game refuses to let me use it, got a game over while I was in the middle of the animation.

Edit: Nevermind I got herrrrrrrrr, holy shit.

I am glad ripping their physical bodies apart feels so satisfying when you do finally beat them.
Alright! Congratulations, man. Glad to hear you finally beat her!

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

I got technically the best gear in the game mentioned by everyone and still got my ass handed to me a few times. They're def no joke especially with some of the other ones.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Alright! Congratulations, man. Glad to hear you finally beat her!

I had to switch it up a bunch, using Atreus's Elk Summon plus his arcane arrows the moment I hit Hels Touch, coupled with every arane skill I had ready. The ground was usually littered with health stone but picking them up was so stressful because you had to sprint to them, guard down.

Also used the Gauntlet but I'm not sure what exactly the gauntlet does, it doesn't seem to do much damage to her nor does she really stun for that long.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I've been doing valks at level 4 and doing pretty ok, 3 down so far.
Kara was much easier when you knock the adds off the map.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I had to switch it up a bunch, using Atreus's Elk Summon plus his arcane arrows the moment I hit Hels Touch, coupled with every arane skill I had ready. The ground was usually littered with health stone but picking them up was so stressful because you had to sprint to them, guard down.

Also used the Gauntlet but I'm not sure what exactly the gauntlet does, it doesn't seem to do much damage to her nor does she really stun for that long.
Oh, do you have the Infinity Stones for the Gauntlet? That makes its attack a whole lot stronger.

And pretty cool to know the Elk summon helped. Huh. Never thought to use it, but that's good to know. I know sprinting can be worrying in a boss battle, but sometimes you really have to just ignore the boss and get those damned pick-ups. Sometimes that'll get you killed, but you'll die otherwise anyway.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, do you have the Infinity Stones for the Gauntlet? That makes its attack a whole lot stronger.

And pretty cool to know the Elk summon helped. Huh. Never thought to use it, but that's good to know. I know sprinting can be worrying in a boss battle, but sometimes you really have to just ignore the boss and get those damned pick-ups. Sometimes that'll get you killed, but you'll die otherwise anyway.

I don't think I do, where do you find them?

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
so I need help to open a door.

I just got back to the mountain. Boy is acting like a stupid spoiled brat. There is one area inside the mountain where you open a door that says "don't let him free", or something like that. you kill a troll and several enemies. behind that door there is another one that has a green orb lock. you need to get the green energy downstairs, climb the rope chain and open this door, however, there is not enough time to do that. do you guys know how to do that?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing on graphics mode on my 4K OLED.

I now switched to performance mode and the difference is disgusting. The resolution looks like Vaseline smear at the expense of a higher frame rate.

I feel like this game ruined 1080p for me.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game, got every collectible and was missing a single Valkyrie. Looked up where and just now found out I haven't even been to
Niflheim
What a pleasant surprise...

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Love this game so much. How far am I roughly guys?

I just went back to the house to get Kratos's original blades. The way the entire scene played out wirh Athena and the boat ride...it was amazing. 3/4 of the way through?

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I just got back to the mountain. Boy is acting like a stupid spoiled brat. There is one area inside the mountain where you open a door that says "don't let him free", or something like that. you kill a troll and several enemies. behind that door there is another one that has a green orb lock. you need to get the green energy downstairs, climb the rope chain and open this door, however, there is not enough time to do that. do you guys know how to do that?
There should be a little orb statue you can pick up and move. Move it closer to the chain. Then you can go energy -> statue -> door.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Wow just hearing about no dlc! I was just telling my cousin I hope we get a dlc where I get to beat the shit outta
Odin

This is like one of the best PS4 games! We need dlc!

Last edited:

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can I reach the summit after the game is done. I'm trying to 100% everything but I can't get past the area that has the valkrie chamber.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Wow just hearing about no dlc! I was just telling my cousin I hope we get a dlc where I get to beat the shit outta
Odin.

This is like one of the best PS4 games! We need dlc!

Thanks for the nonchalant spoiler, jerk.

How would we know that we don't get to do that unless we beat the game?

Fuck this forum

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup fully updated. Just that one NPC that starts Dead Freight. Everyone else seems to be present. The quest isn't even in my journal anymore. Its like I never started it, but the NPC isn't there.
Tell me what are you doing next? If you still playing the story mode, maybe some NPCs are gone indeed. Just post a spoiler of all your progression.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Anyone know where the rune that increases dodge distance is at? I know one comes from a
Valkyrie - Eir I think.
But there was a second one I got that was one level higher but can't recall where I got it from.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Doing some clean up work for the platinum and a miss a bunch of artifacts and apples and rage things, I have no idea which I got and which I didn't. Same with the ravens, I got half of them, this is gonna suck.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado

Fuuuuuck no. I played the game on normal, but had to turn it down to easy just to struggle to kill 2 valkyries. They're fucking hard to defeat at any level. Awesome fights tho

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Can someone gif that moment in the opening when Kratos is cutting down the tree, preferably with no subtitles and immersive hud and starting when he's holding the axe to chop.

Thanks

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Yep the whole thing was just top notch.

I even fought the
the guy with just my fists during the whole "behind the house" 1st section lol just felt right, just punching him through the trees felt so satisfying.
Yup. I only used the axe on the second part, but dude was clearly begging for the hands on the first.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
I really like that fight. If every troll was as different as this one was from the previous ones we fought, I feel like a lot less people would have an issue with it. On Give me God of War you even have to be aware of the Smelter Demon mechanic this fight has, which is something I was able to completely ignore on Give me a Challenge.
I genuinely wonder how most of these fights I've gone through so far play on non GMGOW difficulties? Because I had to spam heavy attack and quick follow up to beat this dude. He was too random with any "normal" style of play. Beat his cooler cousin later on down the line the same way.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Fuuuuuck no. I played the game on normal, but had to turn it down to easy just to struggle to kill 2 valkyries. They're fucking hard to defeat at any level. Awesome fights tho
The problem with doing
Valkyries, Muspelheim, and Nifelheim
is that it trivializes the story difficulty. I played on second hardest difficulty and it just completely stopped being any challenge at all when you have all of the best gear.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with doing
Valkyries, Muspelheim, and Nifelheim
is that it trivializes the story difficulty. I played on second hardest difficulty and it just completely stopped being any challenge at all when you have all of the best gear.
True, but I think it ended up working out well. After doing all of that stuff and having a pretty hard time with some of it, I wouldn't even want to have too much trouble fighting a couple of Ogres or Trolls or whatever. I just beat the shit out of Valkyries, the enemies I've been fighting for like 60 hours shouldn't really be a challenge.

It hurts a bit more with story boss fights, but the spectacle makes up for it. They're not that challenging moveset-wise, anyway.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017

Pick up the green orb stand and place it near the ledge where you to jump on. Take the orb put it on the door then take it again and put it on the stand then climb the ledge take the orb and run to the door

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
that "let's calmly talk about GoW flaws" thread makes me worried for the sequel. i hope SSM isn't reading that thread because i feel what i loved from this game and want from this franchise from now on is very different from what people on that thread want. then again this game jumped to my top 3 all time so...i don't want the sequel to deviate much from it and rather expand and iterate on it.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
that "let's calmly talk about GoW flaws" thread makes me worried for the sequel. i hope SSM isn't reading that thread because i feel what i loved from this game and want from this franchise from now on is very different from what people on that thread want. then again this game jumped to my top 3 all time so...i don't want the sequel to deviate much from it and rather expand and iterate on it.

Same. Almost all of the negatives in that thread are actually positives for me. I only agree on the lack of 'proper' boss fights as a true negative.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

I wouldn't worry too much, the game is a success and most people and press love it.

The "Let's talk about the sequel" is where the fun is.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't. It's more likely SSM is paying attention to the Metacritic score and the millions of copies sold. I'd prefer a God of War more like the old ones, but I can't see SSM going back to that.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. It's crazy to see people take all the great parts about this game and list them as negatives. Some people just want simplistic and shallow games I guess.

Thankfully the critics got this one right so hopefully SSM just goes and does what they feel is right.