• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
In my personal experience, it tends to be triggered by camera motion that isn't controlled by the player. My eyes are fine with me aiming and looking the camera around, but if I am doing one thing and the camera ignores or leaves my control to start shaking around or wobbling and looking at random shit, that's when I start to feel the ache. Essentially, the more "immersive" a game tries to be with its camera, the more ill it makes me feel. Think of it like how you would feel if you forced your right eye to start looking around at random things while your left eye remained focused on one thing directly in front of you if you want context for how it feels.
Yeah my girlfriend actually gets motion sick watching me play games sometimes. It seems first person games are the worst culprit for her. Tried showing her Firewatch and she could only handle 20 minutes before she had to go lay down. I don't know if I could play video games if it effected me that way.

From what I've heard it has something to do with your mind interpreting the detached movement of your vision from your body as being poisoned. Or that's one theory anyways.

Have you tried sitting further away from the tv?

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It feels like completing this game 100% would take around oh I don't know, 100 hours.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my girlfriend actually gets motion sick watching me play games sometimes. It seems first person games are the worst culprit for her. Tried showing her Firewatch and she could only handle 20 minutes before she had to go lay down. I don't know if I could play video games if it effected me that way.

From what I've heard it has something to do with your mind interpreting the detached movement of your vision from your body as being poisoned. Or that's one theory anyways.

Have you tried sitting further away from the tv?

That interpretation is actually pretty close to how I've been thinking about it, yeah - the brain starts to panic that control is being taken away from it. It's also a pretty similar feeling to what happens if you force your own eyes to vibrate inside your skull, which is to say that the human brain isn't really equipped to process that degree of micro-eye-movement and some people are more vulnerable to that than others.

And unfortunately, the room my TV is in is not super big, so I don't really have the option to sit too much further back from the screen. But yeah, like your girlfriend, first person tends to be the worst offender, followed by heavily "camera-immersive" third person games. Movies do it to me as well sometimes, but only when I forget to bring my glasses, so I imagine eye focus has something to do with it as well.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I disagree. I don't really think it's very bold or radical when almost every piece of this game's design is borrowed from another game that does its piece better.

I think something like BotW that is unlike almost any modern open world adventure game out there is a much more bold and radical reimagining. Yes it borrowed things too, but the sum of its parts feels very unique from anything out there.

Yup exactly.
Other games that do it better? Any examples and which mechanics and how they are better? I'm in extreme disagreement with you here. The combat in this game is second to none. It's visceral, it's multi layered, and it takes practice and focus to get good at it. What game this gen does wide linear with a focus on exploration better than this? Don't say tomb raider. Because my god that's a boring game. I could not force myself to finish either of them and I really wanted to like them. (Hence buying both) Certainly isn't second rate in presentation or story.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
To address your title directly OP this is a huge departure for the God of War series but, this game borrows so many popular themes from other games, especially Sony games, how bold and radical can it be? To me the changes feel more like an attempt to rescue an Ip from being shuttered using proven themes than it is an attempt to do something new and radical. The commendable thing about God of War 2018 is the execution level is off the charts in all areas of the game.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how or why anyone would ever pick the hardest difficulty. It's a waking nightmare even on Give Me A Challenge, really. There are encounters I've done like 20+ times.

(Oh I actually meant to post in OT but it kinda works here too haha)

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Can't believe how awesome the combat system is!! From braindead button mashing in the old god of wars to shitting all over souls and bayonetta. Sick.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how or why anyone would ever pick the hardest difficulty. It's a waking nightmare even on Give Me A Challenge, really. There are encounters I've done like 20+ times.

This is the only negative. Difficulty balance is fucked up anything else is game of the generation.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Other games that do it better? Any examples and which mechanics and how they are better? I'm in extreme disagreement with you here. The combat in this game is second to none. It's visceral, it's multi layered, and it takes practice and focus to get good at it. What game this gen does wide linear with a focus on exploration better than this? Don't say tomb raider. Because my god that's a boring game. I could not force myself to finish either of them and I really wanted to like them. (Hence buying both) Certainly isn't second rate in presentation or story.

Dark Souls does third person "visceral" combat better IMO. Kratos controls like a Gears of War tank with that shoulder perspective when trying to space yourself and aim your moves with multiple enemies.

The crafting and upgrade system is just fine/acceptable but nothing groundbreaking, and I feel like TLOU's was more interesting.

The climbing is borrowed from Uncharted but it hasn't included any gameplay or puzzles yet for me (I'm only 4 hours in) compared to previous GOW games.

I'm less enthused by the story than I thought. 4 hours in they've given me very little reason to care about this mountain or these ashes or this wife or anything about Kratos beyond mild curiosity. Uncharted and Horizon were better at immediately gripping me into the story.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
User warned: drive-by, insults
If anyone rates this game below 9 then he is a total fool and idiot.

This game is a celebration of games. Perfection.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Im sorry, were you asking a question, or just being disingenuous so you can sneak in your condescending 'answer'?
Lol ok, man. I've been making constructive posts in here, not driving by with shit posts to put people down for a difference of opinion. It seems like there are more "people obviously didn't play this game" posts in here than there are people being obvious trolls. I didn't read every post though, so maybe my perception is wrong.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Dark Souls does third person "visceral" combat better IMO. Kratos controls like a Gears of War tank with that shoulder perspective when trying to space yourself and aim your moves with multiple enemies.

The crafting and upgrade system is just fine/acceptable but nothing groundbreaking, and I feel like TLOU's was more interesting.

The climbing is borrowed from Uncharted but it hasn't included any gameplay or puzzles yet for me (I'm only 4 hours in) compared to previous GOW games.

I'm less enthused by the story than I thought. 4 hours in they've given me very little reason to care about this mountain or these ashes or this wife or anything about Kratos beyond mild curiosity. Uncharted and Horizon were better at immediately gripping me into the story.
Hmm interesting, to me the similarities between this and dark souls are a little less 1 to 1 than I initially expected from gameplay previews. This game is much higher in intensity and enemy counts than Dark Souls especially later in the game. Having the Atreus button, many slash and runic combos completely changes how combat works.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Can't believe how awesome the combat system is!! From braindead button mashing in the old god of wars to shitting all over souls and bayonetta. Sick.
Hell no! I don't fuck with souls but God of War's combat doesn't hold a candle to Bayonetta. The camera is too tight and it's hard to transition from enemy to enemy unless they are standing in your field of view. It's most effective combos are still the shortest. The combat is best when fighting fewer enemies. Because of the fixed camera Bayonetta's combat flows with single enemies or multiple. Let's not get carried away here.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017

(Oh I actually meant to post in OT but it kinda works here too haha)

Give me a challenge is the way to play, in my opinion. I came somewhat close to bumping the difficulty down early on, but once you start getting some upgrades it gets easier, and the combat system in this game is so fucking amazing that you owe it to yourself to learn it well.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats funny is a whole lot of God of War reminds me of RE 4. Like, there are elements that kept reminding me of RE 4, from how the series changed, to even some gameplay aspects.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
bro, is your opinion, but im sure most people deep into either DS or Bayonetta will tell you is a wrong opinion by many many reasons.

It's too early to say anything definitive, but the combat in God of War is very, very, very good. Is it better then bayonetta or Dark Souls? Tough question, but it can certainly hang with those games.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Not in a world where Bomberman Act Zero exists.

Bomberman-300x263.jpg
this was my initial thought too but i dont think it truly counts because despite the outrageous edgy coat of paint, the gameplay is still just bombermanass bomberman

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
It's too early to say anything definitive, but the combat in God of War is very, very, very good. Is it better then bayonetta or Dark Souls? Tough question, but it can certainly hang with those games.
combat is not bad, although in my opinion is a detour towards more DS-esque from the Character Action attempt that originals WoG were.

You do can argue the Fights LOOK better but is cause of how they are handled
>Fight sequence
>transition Cinematic/ Mini game sequence
rinse and repeat.

take any of the baldr Fights, remove all the transitions scenes and you are just fighting teh same enemy with the same small move set for 10-15 minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol ok, man. I've been making constructive posts in here, not driving by with shit posts to put people down for a difference of opinion. It seems like there are more "people obviously didn't play this game" posts in here than there are people being obvious trolls. I didn't read every post though, so maybe my perception is wrong.

The comment was not directed at you, and not every comment in here comes from a place of genuine criticism. This I am sure you can agree on.

Last edited:

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017

That was actually only in the first 3-4 hours the case for me on 'Give me a challenge'. With all the upgrades and of course mastering the controls it got way easier and really satisfying. At least the difficulty progression feels a lot like Souls games.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
It's a waking nightmare even on Give Me A Challenge, really
cause Give me a Challenge and Give Me GoW, are not balanced is skill but numbers. enemies are more sponge and hit harder. so you at lvl 1 will get massacred by em , even if you for some reason dominate the combat out of the gate, the game will drag on and you will eventually mess up and get 1 shot. is not like higher difficulties give enemies whole new attack patterns or entire new enemies.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Umm no? A gigantic serpent that spans the entire earth is present in the game. You throw an axe that freezes enemies and can fly back in the air to you. There are bosses the size of a warehouse. This game is epic in scope and not in any way "grounded". Less campy than the original trilogy yes, but not "grounded". I'd liken it more to comparing something like Frank Miller's 300 versus something like The Lord of the Rings. OG being 300, and GOW reboot being LOTR.
I see. Wouldn't have thought so after seeing the trailers. Game went from "definite no" to "buy on sale" for me.

Is it heavy on Joel/Ellie-style interactions between Kratos and the kid?

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The comment was not directed at you, and not every comment in here comes from a place of genuine criticism. This I am sure you can agree on.
Fully agreed. We're good here. Didn't mean to make this confrontational or anything, man. My apologies.

I see. Wouldn't have thought so after seeing the trailers. Game went from "definite no" to "buy on sale" for me.

The entire story is really about Kratos/Aterus, so yes. It's all about their interactions.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
cause Give me a Challenge and Give Me GoW, are not balanced is skill but numbers. enemies are more sponge and hit harder. so you at lvl 1 will get massacred by em , even if you for some reason dominate the combat out of the gate, the game will drag on and you will eventually mess up and get 1 shot. is not like higher difficulties give enemies whole new attack patterns or entire new enemies.

I think this is a bit too shallow an analysis because the increase in HP changes the strategy from killing enemies with the axe directly to building up stun which is done through manipulating their positioning (freezing and kicking enemies into walls and each other, using good parries which are almost universally applicable and so on) and crowd control. And if you aren't aggressive enough on the highest difficulty, enemies will recover and power up.

That being said, I really don't like the execution animations in this game which is a problem for higher difficulties where you really have to use them to do well. DOOM 2016 should have been more of a model here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Many enemies on harder difficulties (especially mid to late game) do actually get different attack patterns and far more aggressive AI. It's not just just health and damage that changes.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Mmm, there is a little of that, but Atreus is more of a game mechanic. Like he legit is useful in combat and you have a button that direct commands him to fire and there is a progression to his abilities that make using him almost crucial to combat scenarios. But I can tell you without an ounce of doubt that the direction of their relationships are VERY different in the long term of the game.

You really are missing out if you skip on this. This is a video game ass video game, that just so happens to have a good story along side lots of great mechanics.

Martoridley

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly don't think it's that bold. Saying that, it's one of the best shake ups for a game series, up there with Botw and RE4 for me and my 2nd favorite ps4 game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
True

That's probably the real winner

RE4 and GTA3 are certainly above god of war or botw

I think it's fair to say that game reimaginings that completely created new genres probably count for more than a reimagining that kind of sidesteps an action game into the most prominent action game subgenre of the modern era.

GTA3, RE4, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time all defined their particular genres for generations afterward...I don't think God of War is going to have that kind of developmental impact on the industry.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Mmm, there is a little of that, but Atreus is more of a game mechanic. Like he legit is useful in combat and you have a button that direct commands him to fire and there is a progression to his abilities that make using him almost crucial to combat scenarios. But I can tell you without an ounce of doubt that the direction of their relationships are VERY different in the long term of the game.

You really are missing out if you skip on this. This is a video game ass video game, that just so happens to have a good story along side lots of great mechanics.
That's good to hear! I'll definitely check it out after it gets a price drop.

Oct 27, 2017
Fully agreed. We're good here. Didn't mean to make this confrontational or anything, man. My apologies.

No worries, I also should not have been so cryptic as well. My comment was made directly after reading a bunch of those posts.

I think it's fair to say that game reimaginings that completely created new genres probably count for more than a reimagining that kind of sidesteps an action game into the most prominent action game subgenre of the modern era.

GTA3, RE4, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time all defined their particular genres for generations afterward...I don't think God of War is going to have that kind of developmental impact on the industry.

Those games were also a product of their times as well, and had to evolve into the new 3D space hotness. It was was every bit a product of technology, that every game in the current 3D era does not have the luxury of being that type of 'game changing' scale. Now I will say, how they went about it (game design), was in no way less than exceptional at the time.

Completely agreed. I find myself relying on the boy as much as my own skill-set. He is essential, and you feel you actually 'need' him.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Many enemies on harder difficulties (especially mid to late game) do actually get different attack patterns and far more aggressive AI. It's not just just health and damage that changes.
Yes to some degree but the main reason those difficulties maul people is still not a matter lf skill, but you being too underleveled

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes to some degree but the main reason those difficulties maul people is still not a matter lf skill, but you being too underleveled

I'm sure that could be part of it, I'd imagine it's a mix of both. I've been doing side quests and taking on purple bar mini bosses that are multiple levels too high for me, to the point where even a single hit of any kind from them will instantly kill me, but I've been beating them nonetheless.

As long as you get attack patterns, evading, timing etc down, even if you're seriously under leveled you can come out on top. It's just much harder is all.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no traditional levelling, you can't be underlevelled unless you don't upgrade your armor and weapons or you went out of your way to challenge enemy that should be much better to manage in latter stages. Im playing on Give Me GOW, it's hard but you actually have to plan and get good with your parries and dodge. You also have to use Atreus as a part of your combo, you can't beat this difficulty unless you are not skillful and patient. What difficulty did you play?

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd give it an 8 so far after 5 or 6 hours of playing.

I'm sorry I hurt you so personally by not thinking this game is perfect.

The game gets better and better the more you play, in every criteria; combat, puzzles, story, twists, turns, locations, exploration etc etc. So if it's already an 8 for you, I'd imagine by the time you finish you'll be even more positive on it.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd give it an 8 so far after 5 or 6 hours of playing.

I'm sorry I hurt you so personally by not thinking this game is perfect.
That's actually good, the starting parts is probably the slowest overall. Once it opens up, and it opens up multiple times, it will get A LOT better. I myself will probably give 7 during the starting hours.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To address your title directly OP this is a huge departure for the God of War series but, this game borrows so many popular themes from other games, especially Sony games, how bold and radical can it be? To me the changes feel more like an attempt to rescue an Ip from being shuttered using proven themes than it is an attempt to do something new and radical. The commendable thing about God of War 2018 is the execution level is off the charts in all areas of the game.
This, it's nothing original that as not been done into games already, it's a breath of fresh air for the serie that needed it. Nothing new but the execution is prettt good.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone rates this game below 9 then he is a total fool and idiot.

This game is a celebration of games. Perfection.

hahahahahha

Based on about 7-8 hours of play time so far, I think it's about an 8. It's well polished, but still stuck in the past. I find some of the sweeping statements about it being a step forward for all of gaming to be kind of amazing. I guess there's still time for the game to change my mind, but I don't see that happening.

By comparison, I felt like Dark Souls and BOTW both represented forward thinking shifts in approach to game design (even if I had a lot of issues with BOTW that I felt kept it from being the masterpiece others thought) that changed things. God of War changes nothing

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Those games were also a product of their times as well, and had to evolve into the new 3D space hotness. It was was every bit a product of technology, that every game in the current 3D era does not have the luxury of being that type of 'game changing' scale. Now I will say, how they went about it (game design), was in no way less than exceptional at the time.
There were a ton of influential titles released last gen and multiple influential titles released this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.