• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though the video was mostly positive, there were the usual "triple-aaaeeeee" shoutouts at 2:14, 3:15, 4:55. A few "ubi-fied" mentioned as well.

Also, in the first few minutes he mentions he can't tell a schlock indie game from a good one, and Activision/Ubisoft don't make "games" anymore. Huh?

It was a good point the video made, but marred by this type of content.
It's Jim Sterling, he has to pander to his Patreon crowd

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Right. And one of the dumb things consumers do is support walled garden platforms like Sony's, Microsoft's, and Valve's. It is consumers' fault that they don't go for their own interests when making decisions. As I've said before, gamers are some of the worst consumers on the planet. They support people that actively go out of their way to screw them. That doesn't make platform exclusives a good thing. It makes consumers fools for supporting them.

tell me how you feel about apple products and the buyers that queued up overnight for a product launch and went all-in on apple's ecosystem.....

or are you one of those last bastion of 'freedom' that uses a firefox phone?

Dec 3, 2017
Again, you're specifically looking at the chips and not any other part of the feature set.

Switch is generic because the Nvidia Shield exists

what logic

No, it's generic because it uses an off the shelf Nvidia GPU and an ARM CPU like pretty much every modern portable device on the planet. There's a reason it's so easy to emulate already.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only real absolute positive of this generation for MS was they built a great foundation of services, but software wise, they massively dropped the ball.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
No, it's generic because it uses an off the shelf Nvidia GPU and an ARM CPU like pretty much every modern portable device on the planet. There's a reason it's so easy to emulate already.
And again, if all you care about is the chipset in the case then you're missing half the plot

I will never understand people who can't look at gaming as anything other than an exercise for their processors

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Mainstream awareness of the Wii U was so minimal that for all functional purposes, the game was a Switch exclusive (throw in the fact that Wii U was withdrawn from market months before BotW came out, and the problem is compounded).
N64 and GameCube had fantastic exclusive content, but what people often forget when bringing these up is that so did PS1 and PS2, and that they had more of it.
At least it managed to sell like 1.5 million on the Wii U

LABARONX

Mar 29, 2018
Like clockwork every year... when sony releases a game both critically and or commercially acclaimed the following things happen:

1. Phil/Microsoft Is bombarded on twitter with concern. He assures people he heres them, and the gaming community takes what he says out of complex and hypes up Microsofts E3 only to be let down and proceed to bombard phil/MS again, though it's never 100% his fault.

2. The term anti consumer gets thrown at sony a lot, because they want to play games on their platform of choice.

3. And we are bombarded by the do exclusives matter arguments... again. I agree with Jim, when all things are equal or close, exclusives matter and can be a pretty big determining factor. If resolution doesn't matter, to the general public it doesn't, the desicion between a ps4, xb1, and switch, library factors in: if I'm interested in red dead 2, I can take the switch out of consideration, leaving me with 2 options. Oh I like read dead and racing so an xb1s forza bundle may seem more appealing, conversely a spidey ps4 may be more up another person's ally. Exclusives add value to consoles.

Dec 3, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Thread derail, fanboyism rhetoric, long history of infractions.
And again, if all you care about is the chipset in the case then you're missing half the plot

I will never understand people who can't look at gaming as anything other than an exercise for their processors

Gaming in 2018 is just software written in mostly C and C++ or even higher level languages that could basically run on any modern device. The fact that Doom 2016 exists on the Switch proves that. You could make God of War on the Switch hardware with some concessions without losing what the game is. Hardware is not a big deal anymore. It's basically a little faster or slower.

Sure, tell me that Nintendo games are somehow more special because you're touching a specific plastic controller when playing them or that they only look right when you look at whichever panel Nintendo chose for it (even though Nintendo has no problem picking whichever type of panel they can get cheapest at the time), and tell me that I can't truly appreciate an album unless I listen to it on vinyl.

Playing games on Nintendo's hardware sounds "warmer," right?

ww930rV.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
tell me that Nintendo games are somehow more special because you're touching a specific plastic controller when playing them
Considering what that plastic controller is actually able to do while you're using it, hell yeah I will

and that's the point I'm trying to make

idk about all that other bullshit you came up with, really shows what kind of person you are tho

Dec 3, 2017
That is not what anti-consumer means.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti-consumer

It is not in my interest for God of War to not be on the Switch.

It is not in my interest for Mario Odyssey to not be on the PS4.

It is not in my interest for World of Warcraft to not be on the Xbox One.

I couldn't care less. It sure blows goats for those things to be true for people who own the hardware, though. In other words, it's not favorable to the consumer. In other words, anti-consumer.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming in 2018 is just software written in mostly C and C++ or even higher level languages that could basically run on any modern device. The fact that Doom 2016 exists on the Switch proves that. You could make God of War on the Switch hardware with some concessions without losing what the game is. Hardware is not a big deal anymore. It's basically a little faster or slower.

Sure, tell me that Nintendo games are somehow more special because you're touching a specific plastic controller when playing them or that they only look right when you look at whichever panel Nintendo chose for it (even though Nintendo has no problem picking whichever type of panel they can get cheapest at the time), and tell me that I can't truly appreciate an album unless I listen to it on vinyl.

Playing games on Nintendo's hardware sounds "warmer," right?

ww930rV.jpg
OK.

Bayonetta 2 still wouldn't exist if Nintendo didn't fund the development.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exclusives are anti-consumer, though.
1st party exclusives? No, they are not.
You can't win in the current marketplace. You either have to buy hardware you don't want to get the games you want, or you buy the hardware you want and don't get the games you want. See? Screwed either way.
Or you simply buy the hardware you want and get the games you want. And people do that a lot, for several generations already.
Yeah, apparently you can't.
Yeah, you can't either, as it seems.
I never knew I didn't want a PS4 when I bought i lol
I know, right?

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Man speaks the truth, y'all just refuse to believe it.

What happened to #ForThePlayers? Smh

Dec 3, 2017
OK.

Bayonetta 2 still wouldn't exist if Nintendo didn't fund the development.

Actually, I'd bet anything that Bayonetta 2 could have got made (and made more money) if they had done a combination of crowd funding and backing from another publisher that would have let them put the game on all the major platforms. Bayonetta 2 was a financial disaster because it shipped on a doomed console. It could have done okay if it had been released on every major platform. As it is now, if Bayonetta 3 tanks like 2 did, I bet Nintendo won't fund another one, and they'll have to go their own way anyway.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
This thread has gone to places - whew...

I don't see why games, that are generally funded by a platform holder like Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony, shouldn't be exclusive to their platform. They paid for it, they can do what they want with it. Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne, Sunset Overdrive? Why do those have to release on every platform out there? Doesn't make sense in any way.

Third party exclusives without platform holder's money behind them, yeah, that's another thing. Don't have much sympathy for those, either. But every release one of the platform holders has invested into, be it money or ressources like development?

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusives are the best games ever. I hope for more exclusives in the future. :)

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good video like his last few have been, Jim is getting a little bit more enjoyable to watch recently or maybe it was just me being a bit sick of his routine before I stopped watching his videos for a while I dunno. Wasn't anything really that most of us didn't already know but he hit the nail on the head regardless. The only downside of console exclusives as far as I can see generally is that they bring out the worst in people overall it seems- going waaaay OTT in either rooting for their success or failure. We see this even on this site on a frequent basis unfortunately, as the last weeks have shown in reference to the game in the video.

And on another note I really don't see console exclusives as being anti-consumer generally. I'm fine buying a Nintendo to play Nintendo games and a PlayStation to play Sony games and so on. Never really seen that argument TBH.

Oct 25, 2017
Every thread I think to myself what somebody can do to turn the entire thread negative. Some of y'all never fail to disappoint

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course exclusives matter. I don't get people saying all gamers should have access to said games. Exclusives are in all facets of life and drives capitalism. It also lays down the foundation for innovation and overall bang for your buck for the customer.

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti-consumer

It is not in my interest for God of War to not be on the Switch.

It is not in my interest for Mario Odyssey to not be on the PS4.

It is not in my interest for World of Warcraft to not be on the Xbox One.

I couldn't care less. It sure blows goats for those things to be true for people who own the hardware, though. In other words, it's not favorable to the consumer. In other words, anti-consumer.

Still wrong in this implication.

"anti-consumer" is basically "thing that kind of annoys me" to most people

it's a term with no real weight to it anymore

Correct.

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
This thread is anti-consumer and has to stop!

Dont make bullshit posts or console wars. Be Better.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, I'd bet anything that Bayonetta 2 could have got made (and made more money) if they had done a combination of crowd funding and backing from another publisher that would have let them put the game on all the major platforms. Bayonetta 2 was a financial disaster because it shipped on a doomed console. It could have done okay if it had been released on every major platform. As it is now, if Bayonetta 3 tanks like 2 did, I bet Nintendo won't fund another one, and they'll have to go their own way anyway.
It's nice to fantasize, but that never had a chance of happening. Don't pretend that a game of Bayonetta's production values and scope could be a Kickstarter venture.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Without watching the video, because I can't stand this guy and his ranting.

I disagree, exclusives are only good for console manufacturers, no-one else.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
If Sony and Nintendo can't make games that sell on their own merits without being software dumped so they can squeeze licensing protection money out of developers, then yes, it would.

They could, but you wouldn't get something of the type and quality of God of War or BOTW. So again, how would it be better for the consumer if these didn't exist?

Although it's irrelevant to the original discussion, what are you talking about software dumped? Those other 3rd party developers choose to put their games on consoles. If they were so worried about giving licensing money to Sony as you suggest they can stick to their own store on PC.