Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Sitting here making food for the kids and realized that this is one of the quickest, non-ready-to-eat meals.

Rice, veggies, and some sort of sausage (like a kielbasa from the store). Just sauté the veggies and sausage and pour on top of rice. Nothing fancy, but relatively quick.

Anyone else have any other ideas I could try? Again, not talking things like frozen pizzas - something I actually need to "make" rather than shove in the oven/microwave.

EDIT: I love to cook and know how to, but I also don't feel like I should be making beef bourginon every night

EDIT 2: ok, non-breakfast. I'm aware of that, heh

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
breakfast. Super easy to make some sausage/bacon and eggs and toast, impossible to fuck up. Breakfast for dinner is awesome.

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
yup, omelette and rice is my go-to if i can't be bothered getting a salad from the shops on the way home. Or hell even just scrambled eggs.
Actually yeah, I do this a lot too. My wife is weird about breakfast-for-dinner though (and causes us no end of arguments about it lol)

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, eggs, sausages and maybe some fries is the fastest food you can prepare that is not frozen/noodles

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sitting here making food for the kids and realized that this is one of the quickest, non-ready-to-eat meals.

Rice, veggies, and some sort of sausage (like a kielbasa from the store). Just sauté the veggies and sausage and pour on top of rice. Nothing fancy, but relatively quick.

Anyone else have any other ideas I could try? Again, not talking things like frozen pizzas - something I actually need to "make" rather than shove in the oven/microwave.

EDIT: I love to cook and know how to, but I also don't feel like I should be making beef bourginon every night
Have you tried Jimmy's Chicken Shack?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
chilaquilles
cut up some tortillas throw them in oil for a couple minutes and then add some eggs & sausage.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the easy stuff I know how to make isn't quick, is the problem. They're super easy meals, but they require time in the oven, or the crock pot, or whatever. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll start cooking a crock pot meal in the morning, so that when I come home later and I don't want to "cook," my meal is already there waiting for me, having cooked 8 hours.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
1 cup of Trader Joes chicken fried rice, add extra frozen chicken, riced broccoli/cauliflower, a bunch of extra veggies, top with a fried egg.

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Most of the easy stuff I know how to make isn't quick, is the problem. They're super easy meals, but they require time in the oven, or the crock pot, or whatever. If I'm feeling lazy, I'll start cooking a crock pot meal in the morning, so that when I come home later and I don't want to "cook," my meal is already there waiting for me, having cooked 8 hours.
Yeah that's kinda my point. I love my crock pot, I make a ton of food there. But sometimes I get home with like 30 min until I should serve dinner and rice/sausage is so damn quick to make

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
also pan-fried chicken is easy enough. not as easy as sausages, but (especially if you bit chunk it beforehand or buy it that way from the shops) quite good.

i will admit these days i usually use frozen veggies for dinner during workdays, unless i have a set of fresh bok choi on hand or something

Actually yeah, I do this a lot too. My wife is weird about breakfast-for-dinner though (and causes us no end of arguments about it lol)

just tell her it's that famous japanese dinner dish omurice

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about fried chicken strips? Those are super easy to make, and can be made in about 15 minutes if you have everything in the pantry. Just need flour, eggs, some spices (protip: a bottle of Mrs. Dash is like game genie for spices) and some cooking oil, and boneless chicken breasts. Batter the chicken, then fry, and that's really all there is to it.

Grilled chicken is also pretty easy to make. Throw some chicken in a skillet with some olive oil, toss in some cut up belpepper and zuccini, make a small pot of rice, and serve. Maybe 20 minutes tops.

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
also pan-fried chicken is easy enough. not as easy as sausages, but (especially if you bit chunk it beforehand or buy it that way from the shops) quite good.

i will admit these days i usually use frozen veggies for dinner during workdays, unless i have a set of fresh bok choi on hand or something

just tell her it's that famous japanese dinner dish omurice
Lol I have tried. She's weird about food.

But yeah. Chicken is another one I use plenty of, at least if I cut it thinly enough to pan fry/sautée it. Baking takes too damn long

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chop some garlic and sun dried tomatoes, saute them in a pan with parsley while you cook some penne pasta, add on some black pepper and parmesan cheese and mix it all together. 15-20 minutes

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Fried rice has been my thing lately. Sirloin has been on sale for like 2 months at Publix so I'll buy a big cut, slice it super thin while rice is in the rice cooker. Then I'll fry up the beef and veggies, toss the rice in, and we're good to go. Hands on time is about 10-15 minutes

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Chop some garlic and sun dried tomatoes, saute them in a pan with parsley while you cook some penne pasta, add on some black pepper and parmesan cheese and mix it all together
Yeah pasta is another easy one. We eat way too much pasta, heh

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if I don't have anything made already and I'm feeling lazy, I eat a sandwich. Good old fashioned sandwich. If you want to spice it up, try buying hawaiian bread and maybe add some ingredients you wouldn't normally add. I like to do a sandwich with hawaiian bread, pepper jack cheese, cajun turkey breast from my deli, honey ham, lettuce, spicy mustard, and some chopped green olives inside as well. Maybe a can of chicken noodle soup on the side. 10 minutes tops, and it also won't bust your calorie count for the day.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Quesadillas. Kids love em'. You can pretty much use anything you have in fridge as long as you have some cheese and tortillas. Add along any kind of salsa, hot sauce, guac, sour cream or whatever laying around.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quesadillas. Kids love em'. You can pretty much use anything you have in fridge as long as you have some cheese and tortillas. Add along any kind of salsa, hot sauce, guac, sour cream or whatever laying around.

along the same lines, a grilled cheese sandwich is fucking awesome and takes like no time to make.

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly, if I don't have anything made already and I'm feeling lazy, I eat a sandwich. Good old fashioned sandwich. If you want to spice it up, try buying hawaiian bread and maybe add some ingredients you wouldn't normally add. I like to do a sandwich with hawaiian bread, pepper jack cheese, cajun turkey breast from my deli, honey ham, lettuce, spicy mustard, and some chopped green olives inside as well. Maybe a can of chicken noodle soup on the side. 10 minutes tops, and it also won't bust your calorie count for the day.
I'm feeding 4 people. But noted.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I like to grab a pack of ground sweet Italian sausage. Brown the meat and add a can of hunts meat spaghetti sauce and Bam. Super cheap delicious spaghetti that takes like 20 mins. It's even better if you make the sauce yourself.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like to grab a pack of ground sweet Italian sausage. Brown the meat and add a can of hunts meat spaghetti sauce and Bam. Super cheap delicious spaghetti that takes like 20 mins. It's even better if you make the sauce yourself.

all the rest of my family gives me shit for liking hunts spaghetti sauce, but it's by far my favorite. I like it specifically because it's kind of shitty, if that makes sense? Like i know prego and all those other kinds have actual real chunks of tomato inside, and I know hunts is more like a can of tomato sauce than spaghetti sauce. But goddamn it's my favorite spaghetti sauce, been having it since I was a kid.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
all the rest of my family gives me shit for liking hunts spaghetti sauce, but it's by far my favorite. I like it specifically because it's kind of shitty, if that makes sense? Like i know prego and all those other kinds have actual real chunks of tomato inside, and I know hunts is more like a can of tomato sauce than spaghetti sauce. But goddamn it's my favorite spaghetti sauce, been having it since I was a kid.
Yeah same with me. Me and my wife have a deal that we take turns buying the sauce. So I get Hunt's when it's my turn and she always goes for something chunky and expensive on hers.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Get a steamer and fill your freezer with frozen meats and veggies. No need to watch it while it's steaming, just set the time and do whatever you want. It's healthier with less clean-up and you have to go out for groceries less often.

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Funnily enough, Hawaiian bread comes 4 buns per pack. A single sandwich fills me up completely. Hawaiian bread is extra filling. Dunno if you've ever had it, but it's slightly sweet.
I have, but it's like a roll rather than a bun. I don't understand how one of those fills you up. They're like 1.5in by 1.5in

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
1. Onion and garlic in a pan with olive oil
2. Boil some shell pasta
3. Ground turkey in the pan
4. Tomato Sauce & a little white wine in the pan
5. Drain shell pasta and dump into the pan

Dinner for 4 bam donezo

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Spaghetti Carbonara is usually my go to when I want quick and easy that is different from tacos or just plain spaghetti.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Probably way too close to what you go with, but when I'm feeling lazy, nothing beats a can of albacore over brown rice with some broccoli. Shake some soy sauce over it and mmmm

I also dig some basic flatbread pizza from time to time. Pre-made pizza crust mix (add water) plus crushed tomatoes, cheese and whatever meats/veggies you have laying around. Takes maybe 5 minutes to put together and 10 to bake.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have, but it's like a roll rather than a bun. I don't understand how one of those fills you up. They're like 1.5in by 1.5in

I'm not buying the rolls, I'm buying the buns:

LBwpTqE.jpg

they're the size of a hamburger bun:

Hawaiian-Ham-Swiss-4.jpg

They're not sliders

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I make sun dried tomato pesto in big batches and then freeze it in groups big enough to make a pizza. Usually I'll grab some veggies, cheese, maybe a sausage, a pillsbury canned crust, and just throw it all together. Makes for an easyish meal and I have leftover pizza the next day or 2. It should make plenty enough for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Buy the big can of crushed tomatoes from Costco. Add that to some onions and carrots that you sautee with garlic. Let simmer for an hour and you have enough sauce to last you around 8 meals if you freeze it.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I season a chicken breast with cajun seasoning and cook some diced tomatoes with chicken base, (frozen pre-chopped) green onions, some garlic. Sear the chicken and finish it in the oven. Only takes a half hour and I only dirty a frying pan.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Fried rice has been my thing lately. Sirloin has been on sale for like 2 months at Publix so I'll buy a big cut, slice it super thin while rice is in the rice cooker. Then I'll fry up the beef and veggies, toss the rice in, and we're good to go. Hands on time is about 10-15 minutes

gotta leave the rice to dry out in the fridge for a day or so after cooking before you fry it for the good stuff tho