sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
This is my current Steam cart. Any games I should remove or replace with something else?

Pistol Whip
Room VR
Half-Life Alyx
Boneworks
The Last Clockwinder

As the title says I am getting a PC VR headset (Quest 2) and would like to know what games to get.
I went through a few "What are the best games for VR" list and literally all of them look the exact same.
So besides let's say... The obvious (Alyx, Boneworks, Skyrim, Beat Saber, Super hot, Tetris, REZ) what are the hidden gems of VR?
I know Insomniac made some VR games, there were a few weird experimental games out there.
Looking for more eclectic experiences if possible.

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Serious Sam First Encounter / Second Encounter in VR, as well as Serious Sam 3 VR. They're incredibly fun, and some fantastic VR ports.

Oct 28, 2017
The Lab for sure, it's a great demo of the platform and is super polished. I have like 100 VR games but this is my third favorite after Alyx and Beat Saber.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
The VR port of original Doom is easily near the top of my list. You have to install SideQuest to get it set up and working, but there are videos that go over all the steps and it's pretty painless. But yeah, that's my favorite gaming experience of the last year, this 30 year old game.

This gives you an idea of what it's like:

View: https://youtu.be/6hj48dBcZkw

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Brass Tactics. Very fun RTS game and a favorite of my family's, yet I hardly ever see anyone talking about it. Plays great seated as well.

Oct 28, 2017
store.steampowered.com

BLARP! on Steam

BLARP! is a fun-filled physics game build for the HTC Vive. BLARP! uses our intuitive understanding of motions and physics to create an active / addictive experience that is playable by anyone who has ever swung a racket, played with a yoyo, or held a rope.
Always a good pick up, go zen, mess up, try again game.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1318090/Vertigo_

A great straight up single player shooter campaign. Weird art style and ideas, but a lot of Half-Life vibes in there. Bit short for full price, but it is having a big sequel release this year. Not enough people talk about this.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/450540/Hot_Dogs_Horseshoes__Hand_Grenades/

This is the game I spent the most time on in VR. I even have a series of tutorial videos on it I made because I wanted to help people get into it. It can be a little intimidating due to the complex nature of the simulated interactions and the 6+ years of updates. The developer is still very active and continues to add new weapons, maps, modes, etc. The next big add will be a 'game planner' system of logic tools to build your own game-types. With its addition of tons of spawnable objects and save-able scenes, it is kind of turning into a version of VR Garry's Mod. There are also tons of mods for it which add even more weapons and items if the hundreds in game aren't enough for you.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1012790/Into_the_Radius_VR/

STALKER VR. Great vibes and survival gameplay. I love the loop of picking up quests, heading out into the zone and surviving in a very rough environment. Counting rounds, saving empty magazines, rationing ammo, as you loot abandoned buildings haunted by ghostly apparitions (sometimes with guns) is some of my favorite moments in VR.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/587220/Jet_Island/

This is only if you have a strong stomach. This game will flip you all over the place as you use your hover-board, jet propulsion, and grappling hook to basically have the most crazy locomotion in really any game, let alone VR. Zooming across the landscape and into giant robots to destroy them from the inside is some really great use of scale that few other games do.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris Effect is the GOAT VR game in my opinion and a must have.

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
I have played a ton of PCVR and my most played game by far is Walkabout Minigolf. It's a triumph and is currently 50 percent off. Do it and make sure you plau online. HMU if you wanna game.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Oct 27, 2017
The Lab is a great intro to VR
Google Earth VR is pretty much mandatory as its just super cool to fly around the world
Thrill of the Fight is a fantastic boxing game- if you need a legit serious workout, this is the game for you.
Walkabout Minigolf is amazingly simple and fun- its just super fun mini golf and it totally works great.
Kayak VR Mirage is very relaxing and a great looking VR game.
VTOL VR is a super fun combat flight sim game that is just enough of a sim to feel kind of authentic but not so overwhelmingly so that you can't just pick up and play.
MS Flight Sim - its cool as hell in VR but you do need a pretty monstrous PC to get it to run well.

You can also try cool VR mods on PC, so definitely check out the RE2 remake or RE7 and RE8 in VR with their respective mods. Alien:Isolation's VR mod is pretty amazing too.

But yeah, just play HL: Alyx. Its that good.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
How does this work with Quest 2? I was assuming Steam VR will cover me for Steam games but not sure how Quest store exclusives work.
For PCVR, you need the Oculus PC App. It will create the connection that SteamVR needs.
The Oculus App is similar to Steam, you buy the games in the store section.

Oculus PC: under the Air Link/Link Cable area, there's a button to download the app. You don't need your headset to start the app.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq8EXq4elis

Robo recall is superb. Great arcade action, throw your guns at robots when they're out of ammo and catch them as they bounce back to reload. Pull robots apart limb from limb.

It used to be on the oculus store, idk what the deal is depending on meta headsets etc. now.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
You already namechecked them in your original post, but I had suuuch a good time with Beat Sabre and Superhot VR (the steam versions). And for a good workout, I'd recommend Thrill of the Fight (an excellent boxing game).

Last edited:

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I was enjoying Compound this weekend - it's got a demo that you can jump into. If you're like me and get motion sick from joystick movement in VR, I highly recommend switching this to teleport move. The reposing felt clunky at first but was a lot of fun when it clicked - I'm sure it'd be even better with knuckles or quest controllers; I'm on gen 1 vive wands and it's begging for grip/release.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/615120/COMPOUND/

Quick trailer:
View: https://youtu.be/2fob_0NZVE8

Last edited:

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Rec Room was one of my first VR games and it's still one of my favs. And it's free!

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
It's on the Quest store not Steam, but RE4 VR is probably better than RE4 Remake yeah I said it

Granted, it's not a hidden gem, but you didn't mention it and no one's recommended it yet

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'd also plug:

-Pavlov VR. VR military shooter with community mods
-TWD Saints and Sinners. One of the most fleshed out VR games out there. Fantastic melee system and a really good time
-Blade and Sorcery. Combat sandbox with tons of mods
-Iron Man VR. It's rough around the edges but it really shines without wires

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Derail Valley is a fun one if you're at all interested in Train simulation (and possibly even if you aren't). It's an open world train sim, you just grab a job or multiple jobs, hop in a train and deliver it. If you like Euro Truck Sim or American Truck Sim (both of which can also be played in VR) I think you'll probably like this one. It may sound boring to just drive a train around but I've found managing the speed and engine heat while making sure the right tracks are selected is fairly engaging.

There is a big update coming later this year that will add quite a bit (including a day/night cycle) so it may be better to wait until then, but I think it's still worth playing now if it you like these kind of games.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/588030/Derail_Valley/

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Really been enjoying Light Brigade - super fun!

store.steampowered.com

The Light Brigade on Steam

A roguelike VR shooter with realistic gunplay and immersive light magic. Ascend the ranks of The Light Brigade to unlock new weapons, upgrades, classes, and abilities as you fight to restore light to the darkness.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
If you have even the tiniest interest in guns, I'll echo Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades above. I haven't touched much of the meat stuff but have spent way too much time just mucking around in the shooting ranges, trying out different guns and marveling at how they're modeled and how they function.

If you don't already own American or Euro Truck Simulator, they're wonderfully immersive in VR.

Space Pirate Trainer was one of the early wave-based shooters, but I think it still holds up really well.

And Walkabout Mini Golf is one of the best VR games out there.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Into the Radius is amazing and if you're the least bit interested in it when looking at the steam-page, just buy it. Next to Alyx and RE4VR the absolute best of VR.

Climbey and Jet Island are two great examples of how locomotion in VR can be done in exciting ways. They look pretty basic and dull when looking at pics, but once you're in them climbing, surfing, swinging and jumping graphics doesn't matter. Climbey also got coop and a level editor, which is why it's one of my most played games in VR.

There's also a bunch of mods for flat games, where Doom3, HL2, Risk Of Rain 2, Subnautica, Raft etc often gets mention (theres a great discord server which name I cant remember right now.)
But Penumbra seldom gets mentioned, but it's easily one of the best mods. Absolutely haunting in VR with great physics interactions

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Some friends loved rick and morty vr. Artika 1, moss too. I m kinda sad, that i feel like the good games on vr are old games and nothing new :/ ( lone echo 1 and 2 are really impressive! )
Half life alyx is still the best one !!!

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Paper Beast is one of my favorite VR games and for some reason it flies under everyone's radar. Awe-inspiring (in the truest sense of the word) mix between walking sim and physics puzzler with some of the best water/sand/ice simulation I've ever seen.