• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Bgamer90 is already comparing it to iOS so we there.

I'm simply saying that a console should be recommended to someone based on what he/she likes instead of pure game quantity. If the console with more overall games has that advantage due to it having more games that are of a genre that a person isn't interested in then I personally couldn't recommend that console to them.

There were a few cases in which I caused some people to buy Wii U in the past simply because what they were interested in wasn't really available on Xbox and PlayStation (in this case, local multiplayer games for family game nights with kids).

PS4 and Xbox One are MUCH better consoles than the Wii U in my opinion but in this case both of those consoles had nothing that fit what they wanted (especially during that time as the Xbox One and PS4 were still fairly young systems).

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I think the thread is kind of based on a false premise or confirmation bias. I think more often than people saying "buy x console because it has more exclusives", people tend to say "buy x console because it has better exclusives" and generally will include a few of their picks alongside the recommendation. Granted, this could also be a confirmation bias on my part, but I think that usually people make these recommendations on an implicit basis of the presence of a perceived superior quality rather than simply a higher number.
This is a very good point.

Op has built a straw man so that he and other like minded people can argue with themselves.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I'm simply saying that a console should be recommended to someone based on what he/she likes instead of pure game quantity. If the console with more overall games has that advantage due to it having more games that are of a genre that a person isn't interested in then I personally couldn't recommend that console to them.

There were a few cases in which I caused some people to buy Wii U in the past simply because what they were interested in wasn't really available on Xbox and PlayStation (in this case, local multiplayer games for family game nights with kids).

The quantity of games is precisely why the 360 was often recommended to people during the early years of last gen.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The market had spoken before the PS4 got any of those exclusives through, that's my point. Price/brand/where friends are is what got the PS4 where it is, not exclusive games.

No. The market spoke for loads of reasons and exclusives were a massive part of it.

Going from the last few years of last gen it was obvious who considered investing in games as important.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

PS4 and Xbox One are MUCH better consoles than the Wii U in my opinion but in this case both of those consoles had nothing that fit what they wanted (especially during that time as the Xbox One and PS4 were still fairly young systems).
But it's ridiculous to suggest or infer that's the state of Ps4 exclusives. For the most part the exclusives are niche to mainstream and cover all sorts of genres. Nothing like iOS.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Do not confuse purchase drivers with use cases.

The overall offer (in quantity and quality) of exclusives is still one of the main differentiators between consoles. So during the decision process they play a very important role. 3rd party support on the other hand is just what people expect anyhow, it's a hygiene factor.

In other words, exclusives can make the difference in your decision process. Do not confuse this with "people buy a certain console because they want to play exclusives ".

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Not sure if this will be considered a drive-by post, but this whole thread seems to be started by someone who has an opinion on 'X' and needs validation for it, but hasn't got it yet since most people have their opinion's range from 'A-C' and so the thread is still going on.

Also, adding my two cents, it's not just about quantity - steam has a plethora of indie titles and most of them are dogshit! Quality is equally important.

Your decision on which console to buy, totally depends on the types of games you like, and the types of games available on that particular console. Just because console X has 25 exclusives, doesn't make me instantly want it, for all we know, all those 25 exclusives could be MOBAs and I hate MOBAs.

So you get the gist.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
The quantity of games is precisely why the 360 was often recommended to people during the early years of last gen.

The early part of that gen though was also when the 360 had a pretty huge price advantage over the PS3 ($200). PlayStation 3 was still doing well in territories in which the Xbox brand was never popular in but the Xbox brand gained huge momentum in North America from Sony's pricing and PR decisions during the time.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
In a world where 2 direct competitors offers more of the same experience, online capabilities and third party games, exclusives are the main differenciator...
You'll still have people that value more some services and features of one product over the other (and that's why Xbox still has a strong following) but the majority will see two quite similar products with one having more exclusives and better rated games than the other.
But yeah, it's more a matter of quality over quantity and it seems Sony hit them both these recent years.

bear force one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
User Warned: Personal attack on another user
No it's not, the point still stands. Just because it now has exclusives doesn't mean that exclusives are the reason why it's ahead.
No. It's was perhaps true years ago. It's no longer true. But you never concede anything so I'll just move on and not waste typing on someone like you. You poison threads.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
No it's not, the point still stands. Just because it now has exclusives doesn't mean that exclusives are the reason why it's ahead.

It's one of the main reasons. I hate this line of thinking.

When people talk about PS3 turning things around at the end of last gen they're not talking about sales. Sales weren't affected much at all. They're talking about Sony demonstrating their ability to deliver amazing exclusive software. Meanwhile Microsoft spent those same years demonstrating the opposite.

Thats why lots of people changed over (along with the well discussed other reasons). Because of exclusives, it doesn't matter that there weren't that many in those first few months. Everyone knew they were coming.

Anyway, getting a bit OT

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
In our current generation exclusives are more worthless than ever considering just how high quality so many multiplatform games are out there now. I think exclusives are severely over-weighed with a lot of Era's posters, but they are a significant factor when in cases like Nintendo they are constant and usually oftentimes unlike what the competition can offer.

I think most of (not all, obviously) PlayStation's first party exclusives are usually forgettable trash at least as far as my tastes go but they also get stuff like Yakuza, Persona and some other rather niche Japanese games that you can only get on their platforms. These oftentimes directly appeal to my tastes more than 99% of games on the market. That is a huge deal and even if I am a big fan of stuff like Halo, Killer Instinct and their backwards compatibility initiatives (Panzer Dragoon Orta in 4K... incredible stuff), Xbox currently just is rather worthless in my eyes compared to what I can get on PlayStation.

Ironic then that I only play on PC mostly as of late (pretty much only for third party multiplatform games) and my most recent console purchases were all Nintendo stuff, heh.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
A poster put it well earlier when they said,

"Get 'x' console, it has less exclusives"

Kind of sums up the pointlessness of the argument. (not that there's not a 100 other factors to consider)

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No. It's was perhaps true years ago. It's no longer true. But you never concede anything so I'll just move on and not waste typing on someone like you. You poison threads.
So you think that now, when the PS4 is the defacto console to own, exclusives are the factor driving sales? Lol

Oh right pull out the personal attacks, that definitely makes you look mature and correct. Good move.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
As everyone has said if you had to choose between 2 things why wouldn't you choose Box A that plays 95% of Box B's library & has many more games that Box B does not

valentine

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Xbox is superior in terms of power and controller, so if all you care about is multiplatformers get that.

PS4 has more higher rated exclusives, so if you you are interested in those titles get that.

If you are interested in playing online with friends get the console which most of your friends have.

Or buy both.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
As everyone has said if you had to choose between 2 things why wouldn't you choose Box A that plays 95% of Box B's library & has many more games that Box B does not

Services?
As an example, Xbox has GamePass and EA Access, and for a few bucks you can get both subscriptions and get A LOT of games, Id say for a kid, or someone who isnt interested in specific games that's a good reason to get that console and play the big games from the gen.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
The early part of that gen though was also when the 360 had a pretty huge price advantage over the PS3 ($200). PlayStation 3 was still doing well in territories in which the Xbox brand was never popular in but the Xbox brand gained huge momentum in North America from Sony's pricing and PR decisions during the time.

The price differences, better performing multiplatforms, PR disasters, and exclusives shaped the market then, just like they did now. They all contributed to the rise and downfall of platforms.

Not to mention, that the PS4 was revealed in February 2013 with several exclusives, which contributed to the pre-launch hype, eventhough some of them didn't turn out that well (and two of them aren't still out =D). There weren't as many multiplatform titles shown at the event. That certainly had an effect on how the platform was seen by the public.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Maybe OP is talking about giving advice on console buying to a just awaken life long coma pacient.

bear force one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
So you think that now, when the PS4 is the defacto console to own, exclusives are the factor driving sales? Lol

Oh right pull out the personal attacks, that definitely makes you look mature and correct. Good move.
Post history. Not personal attacks. You poison threads. It's well known. We talk about it on discord.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
I have nothing to contribute, just want to be part of this hilarious thread.

stealth edit: shit, just realized i might get warned for this.. here's my contribution: quality exclusives makes people choose one console over the others.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because multiplats are on everything and if you mostly care about technical power you'd get a PC anyway.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
In our current generation exclusives are more worthless than ever considering just how high quality so many multiplatform games are out there now. I think exclusives are severely over-weighed with a lot of Era's posters, but they are a significant factor when in cases like Nintendo they are constant and usually oftentimes unlike what the competition can offer.

I think most of (not all, obviously) PlayStation's first party exclusives are usually forgettable trash at least as far as my tastes go but they also get stuff like Yakuza, Persona and some other rather niche Japanese games that you can only get on their platforms. These oftentimes directly appeal to my tastes more than 99% of games on the market. That is a huge deal and even if I am a big fan of stuff like Halo, Killer Instinct and their backwards compatibility initiatives (Panzer Dragoon Orta in 4K... incredible stuff), Xbox currently just is rather worthless in my eyes compared to what I can get on PlayStation.

Ironic then that I only play on PC mostly as of late (pretty much only for third party multiplatform games) and my most recent console purchases were all Nintendo stuff, heh.

You do realize, that the very same can be said about Sony's 1st party titles, eventhough you might not fancy them, since 3rd party publishers, and Microsoft, aren't making big story-driven single player games as much as they used to?

Personally speaking, the games Nintendo makes don't appeal to me either. Fatal Frame was pretty much the only exclusive I was interested in on their platform, and it speaks volumes that it wasn't even made by their own studios.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I mean, if we are talking exclusives the Xbone can't be touched. If you don't care about last two gen exclusives PS4 is your console. I prefer both.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Post history. Not personal attacks. You poison threads. It's well known. We talk about it on discord.
"We shittalk you off site" isn't particularly positive discussion either, mate

There are certainly arguments to be made for each console on the market. Arguments that extend far beyond quantity or subjective quality of exclusive games alone. We can't have that discussion, though, because OP made a vague, meandering post with little point to it beyond sour grapes or something

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oh, I ... think I kind of get it now. I bought each console because of exclusives, but not because one console had more exclusives. Weird phrasing.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
You do realize, that the very same can be said about Sony's 1st party titles, eventhough you might not fancy them, since 3rd party publishers, and Microsoft, aren't making big story-driven single player games as much as they used to?

Personally speaking, the games Nintendo makes don't appeal to me either. Fatal Frame was pretty much the only exclusive I was interested in on their platform, and it speaks volumes that it wasn't even made by their own studios.
Yes that is exactly my point. Everyone is different and they should make up their own minds, amount of exclusives is a worthless comment.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please explain why this is reasonable advice. I'm genuinely curious as to why it gets passed around so much.
It's not. The only relevance is how many of those exclusives you want to play. Sony could have 50 exclusives, wouldn't change that I can't stand 90 % of them for being too cinematic. I love GT, Uncharted, TLoU. On the other hand I love Forza, Halo and stuff like SO. The number of exclusives is irrelevant. But of course with more exclusives the chances are higher that you find something you like. For Nintendo, I absolutely hate their lineup and planned lineup of games. Metroid Prime is the only thing that keeps me interested. Their racing game output is especially lackluster (and no, Mario Kart is not a racing game in my book, it's an action game).

But really, if you are a gamer at heart and not a platform warrior, you play wherever the games are that you want to play. Doesn't matter if it's just one game. Then I sell game and console afterwards, no worries.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"More exclusives" is terrible advice. "More exclusives that you'd like" is better. You probably wouldn't advise someone to buy a PS4 if their main focus was competitive multiplayer and esports, for example.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
"More exclusives" is terrible advice. "More exclusives that you'd like" is better. You probably wouldn't advise someone to buy a PS4 if their main focus was competitive multiplayer and esports, for example.

If a person is into competitive fighting game esports, I don't see any alternative other than PS4 though.

COD esport is also mainly played on PS4.

Ditto for rocket league.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Why not? It would be strange not to considering the platforms used in most major esports tournaments are now the PS4 and PC. Online populations are also bigger on the PS4 in most games. There's been a big shift in this regard since last generation.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Exclusives are games, get ''x'' console, it has more games - makes sense to me.
Also, exclusives help a lot the brand recognition

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I see exclusives as kind of a bonus. Sony and Nintendo have stellar exclusives, esp. single player, and they both post game clips to facebook seamlessly, portability with switch etc. MS has gamepass - I probably wouldn't of played sea of thrives otherwise and I love it & think over time gamepass is going to be their strong suit, plus the best versions of 3d party, fair number of 4k titles.

Madsenpai

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
What's the point of this thread? If you have different opinion than others go buy the 'y' or 'z' console.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
More exclusives is really irrelevant. Get console x it has more exclusives to your taste plus these great features is more accurate.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
When people say "get 'x' console for the exclusives," they aren't saying "exclusives" in this context as literally just a number. They're not talking about games like Knack. They're talking about good exclusives. They're essentially saying, "get 'x' console, it has more good exclusives." And why would I NOT want the console with more good games on it?

Oct 28, 2017
Yes on paper they are good games, but does someone need to play every good game that exists? The average working person has only so much time in a day, there needs to be a pecking order.

So then using your words, a console like an Xbox one which doesn't have nearly as many exclusives as PS4, would be a better option no? Less games to play equals more time for other things in a persons life.

Xbox sounds perfect for you OP. I fail to see the issue here.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point he's making is that the PC's library of exclusives is greater than all of the console platforms combined. But for various reasons it gets separated into its own category.
People used to have a desktop at home because of school. These days a laptop can do. For simple schoolwork, even a tablet can be enough.

My point is that there isn't much of a reason for most people to just have a PC lying around anymore and easier to justify a console that's a couple hundred bucks than a big-ass desktop which takes up a lot of room.

So a desktop PC usually doesn't make it into the discussion because it's not an attractive option unless you're a super hardcore gamer who wants the best of the best and are willing to spend upwards of a grand for a decent setup. (Decent = Noticeably superior to a modern console)

At least that's MY take on it. The term "multiplats are best on pc" aren't referring to the 10-year old desktop in my garage.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more what exclusives you want to play, although having more exclusives mean higher chance of actually finding a game that you will like. Another thing why Xbox is so unattractive right now is that most of it's exclusive games are in genre that is pretty common and the fact that you can play most of them on PC. Hopefully they revive some of their RPGs
Just add them to your ignore list man, it's a waste of time to engage them

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
You've created a fake-line of text for your own convenience.
People buy a console because they like PARTICULAR exclusives. Not because they have more.
People choose a certain (or multiple) console(s) because those exclusives mean more to them than the multiplats or exclusives on other devices.

Last edited:

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
PC and PS4 is my combo this gen, ps4 because it has exclusive titles I'm interested in and PC for everything else. There's not a chance I would miss out on god of war, last of us, uncharted, bloodborne, persona, Spiderman, horizon zero dawn, I'm sure there are others I've missed but you get the point. If it wasnt for the cateloge of exclusives that the ps4 has there would be zero chance I would own it .

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
535ptld.gif

Audibly laughed as soon as I scrolled to this... gold star perfect meme for this thread...