IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

View: https://x.com/gamestop/status/1828560010160546142

Seen some posts about this reddit and supposedly folks saw some good deals in the shops near them but we all know that'll change once scalpers/resellers find out about this and go every morning to mass buy everything that's priced decently lol

GWBYDnWWwAAW1Ou

GWBYItzWMAA5GNl

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
they're back

to give you $3 for your copy of mario sunshine

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to buy overpriced retro games after wading through a sea of Funko pops!

Ugh…

At least they won't beg me to make preorders? Maybe?

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Wii U is retro but 3DS isn't? That seems like they just forgot to include it, though perhaps 3DS was supported after Wii U lost support. Hmm...

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I thought of picking up a PSP. But i imagine the prices Gamestop Retro would have would be ridiculous.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I have given up on Retro collecting. Was fun while it lasted but I stopped about 3-4 years ago.

Also, fuck Gamestop.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
GameStop near me is Retro, apparently. Curious to see what type of prices we are looking at.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I've always thought Gamestop ought to sell more retro, especially since the COVID bump. I've scooped some solid Xbox 360 deals over the past few years but only seen them stock N64 and SNES stuff a few times.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Wii U is officially retro. Makes sense. Wind Waker HD is as old now as the original Wind Waker was when the HD version was released.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Forget Gamestop Retro, give me Toys R Us Retro.

Let me look at a wall of box fronts and pouches and take a ticket over to a guy in a cage.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
For people not in the know:

1. Typically just 1 in a given area is the "retro store".

2. If there is more than 1 in the area, let alone the whole state, the other ones won't be the main retro store and they will still ship most of their retro to the store. For example, there is 2 in my state, 1 in a major city of around 100k people and 1 in a town of 25k. Guess which one is the retro store? Yup, small town. Oh and the 25k one is 90 minutes from the two largest metro areas in the whole state that have about 10 Gamestops between the two areas. But no, drive 90 minutes both ways....

3. They have always been able to take retro games in. They just don't take some because it isn't worth selling Madden 98 on PS1 for $.99.

4. In the past, they would usually keep them until the end of the month. So you could always have asked if they had any. They could sell it to you, but they were usually instructed to say no. Some employees are cool and will do it.

4.5. A good reason is they don't want to risk high returns if something is defective or fake. So...they send it the warehouse (labeled as defective, which is why you might get a game with a "DEF" sticker on the case) but they don't check for it being fake or working so great fucking job Gamestop with that.

5. Regular stores still can receive and sell retro, but you gotta be fast because now they are instructed to send most, if not all, to the retro store.

6. Even if you find a retro store and it has a good selection, guess what is now fulfilling online orders instead of the warehouse? Typically an order will go to a store first to be fulfilled. So don't wait until tomorrow to get it.

8. Their new method of catching fakes is better than the old method (aka do nothing), but its still bad. If you are thinking about buying carts, make sure you open it up ASAP and return if needed.

9. Some stuff is better than market prices, but they don't differentiate on loose or game+box or CIB so it can be a crapshoot. And knowing the condition you are buying Gamestop games in...might be better to just spend a little more on eBay or the Mom n Pop store that doesn't have a fuckface CEO like Cohen or treats its employees like fucking dogwater.

Last edited:

Applepieman

Nov 5, 2017
Gamestop aside, what kind of prices are we talking on these retro titles? We talking reasonable or do they follow price charting trends?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
So a quick glance suggest some wild low prices for some SNES stuff that is traditionally more expensive.

Oct 27, 2017
Turns out the one down the street is now a retro but I've never seen retro in their stores. Is it like a whole rebranding for that store or just they also have some classics?

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Make sure you call first. I drove 20 miles the other day to one of their so called "Retro Stores" they had listed on their website and when I got there, all they had were some 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, and 3DS games. It was no different than any other normal GameStop I've been too that I also carries games for those platforms over the past year or so.

The news that came of it is I just checked on Maps after the disappointment for any other local video game stores on the area and discovered two awesome stores that were really retro and got some cool stuff!