Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Last week I finally decided to finish SMT IV: Apocalypse.
I have been a fan of the series for a long time now and always enjoyed the challenging gameplay that it provided.
I started playing it on War, which is the hard difficulty. For about two-thirds of the game, it was ok, but then I got a bit bored since the fights were taking too long to finish. It didn't help that every time I died on a boss I had to start the whole fight again. So I put the game on conflict(normal difficulty) and breezed through it.

Skip to the final boss and man, what a slog. That motherfucker has a few phases and on the second one, he hits like a goddamn train. I really couldn't stand skipping all the dialogue again and since the fight doesn't have a mid checkpoint I don't think I'll try to finish it anytime soon. I also refuse to put it on an easier difficulty since my first smt was Nocturne and I finished that shit on hard.
I'm so bored by it that I can't even bother checking the ending on youtube.

What about you guys, what games have you decided it wasn't worth to finish at the very end?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Xenoblade Chronicles. I levelled up a lot before the boss and apparently I should have levelled up some more. However I got through a big chunk of the fight, so I just decided I'd give up and watch the ending instead.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
To this day, I have never beaten NeoExdeath in FFV. I've been meaning to get back to that, but I lost my save file and haven't had the time to restart the game from scratch.

I also stopped at the Demise fight in Skyward Sword. I was tired of the game at that point.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Final Fantasy VIII
Just took too long and didn't feel like pushing through it.

Persona 3
So many phases, just didn't feel like it.

Blasphemous
Not really sure why, just didn't find the final boss enjoyable. Best fight was right before it anyway.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a twisting example...
Undertale

I got to Sans' final attack, but decided that in my canon, Sans had won and Determination ran out.
It's only fair.

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Made it to the last boss in Grandia not too long ago and gave up. I realized that I didnt level my skills high enough and that I'd have to go grind for hours to beat him. Youtubed the ending.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta, I had a really hard time trying to figure out what was happening and even where my character was.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
images.jpg

I think I can beat it now but my young self had no hope left 😂 it's so disheartening back then.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Final Fantasy VIII before 20 years. I managed to finish it lately with Switch version though....

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles. I levelled up a lot before the boss and apparently I should have levelled up some more. However I got through a big chunk of the fight, so I just decided I'd give up and watch the ending instead.

I almost did the same thing. Got to the final boss past the point of no return and only had shield level 8, and the boss requires shield level 9. Luckily you can turn the difficulty down to easy in the remake.

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
JRPGs: the thread. For me the biggest example is Dragon Quest VIII. I've played through the entire game twice and gotten completely stonewalled by the final boss. And by that point, I just didn't have the energy to go grind for a couple hours to beat him. Still one of my favorite games ever though.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Technically not THE final boss but for me it was because beating her was impossible. With not enough items and no way to go back and level, the destroyed me with her zombie spells.

Also all those Metal Gear Ray's in MGS2, after like 12 attempts and hours of trying I gave up on that fight, the controls were a nightmare.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a hard time killing the Hollow Knight. I've seen all the endings and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get the true ending. Super fun game though.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Valkyria Chronicles.

It was reallt clear that I would've had to grind to beat him, so I just watched the ending on youtube lol

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sekiro. Loved the game but lost my patience at the final boss. Ultimately I did not git gud. I might try it again someday but I'm not in a hurry.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
FFX, made up to the final boss but i was not strong enough and didnt really wanted to grind...

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. No longer having anything else to explore i kinda lost the will to continue.

Also never beat the last boss of Xenogears but that was because i didn't want the game to end.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro. There were too many phases and I just wasn't good enough to pull off a win. It sucks because I've completed all the othe From games since Demons Souls. It felt bad throwing in the towel but I wasn't having fun any more.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Sekiro. I didn't like most of the bosses in that game before getting to the last one, and he feels egregious. Just didn't feel worth it

Apr 25, 2018
Persona 3 when the final boss possessed one of my party members and used them to heal back millions of its own HP towards the end of the battle, undoing all the damage I'd inflicted so far

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
A few:
  • Xenoblade 2 - I think I got party wiped towards the end of the fight and put it down, but didn't pick it back up for a long time. When I did pick it back up, I basically forgot how to play so I just watched the ending.
  • DKCR and DKC: TF - In both games, the final fight was far too long and difficult despite numerous attempts so I gave up.
  • Mario & Luigi: PiT - Elder Princess Shroob was just awful. You have to fight her younger sister, who has quite a bit of health, and then the elder sister right after that, and she has more than double the HP of the younger sister. On top of that she has recovery options, so I actually ran out of Bros Items and couldn't kill her, so I put the game down.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overblood on PS1 has the final checkpoint before an incredibly long cutscene. I just didn't have the patience to deal with watching that scene one more time. I really like the game aside from that.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Clustertruck. I think it was the last boss. Each attempt was just so long. Took too long to get to the point where I could experiment on what to do next.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
FF XIII,i got up to the final boss and decided to go back and level up a bit,got bored and quit but never went back and finished it.

Outland
Great game, but the final boss is so much harder, than everything else and also quite long, I didn't have the skill nor the patience for it.

Okamiden
Technically, I didn't even make it to the final boss, because there is a boss rush befor it, and I dislike boss rush in general. Grew tired of it, stopped playing and somehow never got back to it. :/

Hollow Knight
Radiance is so hard, I eventually gave up. Didn't do a lot of the optional stuff either, never touched Godhome for example.

Mable & The Wood
It's a miracle I made it to the boss in the first place. Game's controls are all over the place, it's just bad and no fun to play. Last fight was such a pain in the ass, I finally decided to not waste my time on the game anymore.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
OG FFIV - He shouldn't even be a challenge, but I went without preparing/healing and was in a rush to finish the game. Made a lot of poor choices thinking that I was able to win the DPS race. Got a game over.

I only beat it almost a decade later in the psp remaster. Funny enough, I got to the last dungeon on the After Years (the epilogue/sequel) and just never got back.

I actually have a story of getting tired of JRPGs in the last chapter/dungeon.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I never managed to defeat Thumper's final boss. I always fail in exactly the same sequence. I ended up tired.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Recently, Helltaker.

I like the puzzle aspect but I have no sense of rhythm. Got to the final level and got tired of bashing my head up against the wall.

Valkyria Chronicles.

It was reallt clear that I would've had to grind to beat him, so I just watched the ending on youtube lol

...What would you grind for in VC to beat the boss? I can't really think of anything that would directly translate to success/failure on that final map unless you hadn't been using the passive training exp or R+D at all?

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Not a final boss but on the final zone of Below right now. If I die this time (third attempt) I'm not doing it again. It's not so much the zone itself that's difficult but I am sick of doing the same prep time and time again - I've done it far too many times now when I've died on previous sections.

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Paper Mario TTYD. I was a single attack away from defeating the final boss, and Mario goes KO from a poison damage. I calmly exited the game and the deleted the save file.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of Fire IV.

Learned the hard way that I should have multiple saves in RPGs. Didn't have enough healing items for the final battle (had no issues at all beating the game until the last boss).

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Final Fantasy 8, not the final boss but the final dungeon. I was struggling with the game due to never really learning how the systems worked and just brute forced my way through it, then when it seemed like too much I stupidly used a gameshark to just make everyone lvl 99 assuming it would make stuff easier. The game scaling made it way harder so I never finished it.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Sunshine, I don't even remember why at this point.

Paper Mario TTYD, I was underleveled as fuck for the final boss, and I wasn't in the mood for grinding.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Recently, Helltaker.

I like the puzzle aspect but I have no sense of rhythm. Got to the final level and got tired of bashing my head up against the wall.

...What would you grind for in VC to beat the boss? I can't really think of anything that would directly translate to success/failure on that final map unless you hadn't been using the passive training exp or R+D at all?
yes