Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing Black Ops 4 and my god does the game look washed out on HDR, had to turn off HDR entirely on the PS4 since they don't offer the option to disable it in-game, which is going to be pretty annoying when going back and forth between Black Ops 4 and other games with better HDR implementation.

Crazy how CoD is one of the best selling franchises yet Activision can't bother to get this right.

Any games like that where you turn HDR off because it looks pretty terrible?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Funny you should mention that because they are adding an HDR mode in the next update.

Like an updated version? Cause at least on consoles the HDR mode has been there since day 1.

--------------

As for the thread, at least from my experience the only really bad one was Destiny 2 and not in that it made the game look bad but it's the only HDR I've seen that actively made the gameplay feel worse. Some reason it felt like it added a lot of input lag. Other HDR games didn't do this. Maybe it's my TV but I feel like other games would have the same problem as well.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I've turned it off for BO4 too. Sometimes I think it must be my TV, and it may well be, but too bright and washed out is an odd way to sell HDR.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
While hdr on assassins creed is great all devs need to stop putting white loading screens in hdr games. It's an eye killer when you've got a decent hdr tv and they flash a white loading screen at you, come on guys.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, all of them. I don't blame the games, though, since I'm pretty sure the budget HDR implementation in my TV (LG 43UH6107) is to blame. With a peak brightness of 400 nits and unimpressive black levels, the panel itself is not really cut out for HDR, and squeezing the HDR range into the panel range invariably looks dull compared to SDR.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Crash Bandicoot, Witcher 3. I wouldn't say it's bad but Shadow of the Tomb Raider, gonna agree with NX Gamer on this one. I was expecting lush greenery and dark inky blacks and I got none of that.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Forza Horizon 3, for me at least, I could not get the game to look good on my KS 8000. I played BO4 yesterday on the Pro and the HDR doesn't really stand out, but I didn't find anything wrong with the picture. I'll try out SDR today. With most games I've found that the game needs to have good calibration option to get the game to look right, or else they can look washed out.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is the HDR in AC Odyssey busted, the settings for it are incomprehensible

Destiny 2. The dark areas in the game just go to a pitch black - which sucks because often you have to navigate and platform through these areas in the new Forsaken expansion.
Well damn I just got it on PS4 to play with my brother

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody's Golf PS4

It's completely washed out - the games looks tons better with it off

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
RE 7 on PC. Looks way too dark in places. While it might be more accurate it's easier to just play it with it off.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Last of Us Remastered has some instances of weird/bad HDR. The section called "Downtown" and most night sections are all faded and seem to have no actual black value and just faded grey instead. And a lot of other chapters have washed out color. Both of these things happen when every other game I've tried with HDR looks amazing, so it's not my TV settings either, and quite a few other people have reported similar issues. It was never fixed and switching HDR off in the game settings changes the night levels like Downtown back to proper levels so I also doubt it's intentional as some people have said.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Doesn't look washed out for me in HDR. Looks fine. Turn the brightness down....remember that the brightness calibration image does not work in HDR. So just play with brightness and test in game.

Oct 27, 2017
Hdr is an amazing addition. The problem is that the implementation standards are all over the place resulting in inconsistent results.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Man that's a bummer, RE7 is one I always see as one of the better ones that I showcase HDR to people with on PS4.
PC HDR I rarely hear great stories.

It looks great when there is adequate lighting. I just don't like how the dark areas are pitch black. It's probably more of a personal preference thing than a bad implementation of HDR.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Destiny 2 almost makes me want to turn off HDR on the system level. If you go anywhere dark you might as well be looking at a turned off screen.
MonHun wasn't great either. Nier claims to have had it but it felt nonexistant.

Played Forza Horizon 3 after 4 and found it particularly terrible, especially in comparison with the later, wich is excelent.

I wouldn't call it terrible, especially compared to others noted in here, but FH4 just does it so much better.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Jumping in on the Destiny 2 train here. It's really bad - the blacks are completely crushed. I have it turned off for that game. Apparently it got borked when the Forsaken patch dropped.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Forza Horizon 3 and Monster Hunter World on console are the only two games I've played so far that immediately underwhelmed me in their HDR modes. FH3 was dim and washed out, and MHW was very washed out.

This is with a 65" LG OLED B7A, calibrated to HDR game mode with settings pulled from both Rtings and Digital Foundry's B6 calibration video.

I haven't played the most robust range of HDR games and I'm nowhere near an expert in the technology.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with destiny is that even in sdr it is too dark. I dont know what the hell they did. But something is off with their lighting. I went into a cave with hdr on it was so black I did not even see the walls. Went into the same cave in sdr. Same thing dark as hell.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man that's a bummer, RE7 is one I always see as one of the better ones that I showcase HDR to people with on PS4.
PC HDR I rarely hear great stories.
It really isn't. I have RE7 on PC and it has one of the best implementations of HDR I've seen. It's also got great calibration tools to help you get the most from it. (LG B7 OLED).

99% of games on PC that have HDR, I've had zero issues getting proper HDR out after the Windows 10 update. It really is as simple as turning on HDR + WCG in Display Options.

For the record, I've tried the following games, all of which look great with zero issues:

Resident Evil 7
Forza Horizon 4
Redout
Shadow Warrior 2
Assassin's Creed Origins
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Hitman
Hellblade (.ini tweak)
Battlefield 1
Destiny 2
Final Fantasy XV

The only game that gave me problems was Monster Hunter World, but it doesn't officially support HDR and it was a fan patch that I tried to get working.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Destiny 2. The dark areas in the game just go to a pitch black - which sucks because often you have to navigate and platform through these areas in the new Forsaken expansion.
That's... kind of the intention of HDR. Add some more paper white on a slider if it has one.

Edit: apparently destiny 2 is too dark based on other replies here. I bought the legendary collection last night for Xbox so I haven't booted it up yet to test it

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Funny the comments about Destiny 2. Aside from some mild black crush I don't notice much negative about it. Mercury looks amazing as does Nessus and Io and a large part of the Dreaming City. The Reef probably isn't the best area to show off HDR as it has a fairly dark color palette (aside from the Hive strike which can look pretty awesome) and most people probably don't do a good job adjusting their tv to correct levels.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Came in here to say Black Ops 4. It's straight up broken in HDR mode. The brightness slider in-game does nothing. It changes nothing in game whether you have it all the way down or all the way up. Game is too bright/washed out for me and there's nothing I can do about it without forcing HDR off.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3, nier automata

Destiny 2 almost makes me want to turn off HDR on the system level. If you go anywhere dark you might as well be looking at a turned off screen.
MonHun wasn't great either. Nier claims to have had it but it felt nonexistant.

I wouldn't call it terrible, especially compared to others noted in here, but FH4 just does it so much better.

Nier Automata's HDR implementation seems non existent because it literally is - they tonemapped SDR into HDR without adding or removing anything...so you get the exact same image whether in HDR or SDR.

Monster Hunter World also has a god awful HDR implementation on consoles where they did something similar but did something that made it fundamentally broken - I believe they tonemapped it by "stretching" the SDR luminosity values to HDR luminosity values or something, I'm trying and failing to paraphrase EvilBoris/DigitalFoundry here.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crash Bandicoot has to be the worst HDR implementation I've seen. I think the game literally looks worse because of it.

Developers who aren't going to bother to get it right should just leave it out of their game.

Been playing Black Ops 4 and my god does the game look washed out on HDR, had to turn off HDR entirely on the PS4 since they don't offer the option to disable it in-game, which is going to be pretty annoying when going back and forth between Black Ops 4 and other games with better HDR implementation.

Crazy how CoD is one of the best selling franchises yet Activision can't bother to get this right.

That's weird because HDR looks good on BLOPS 4 for me. I've got a Samsung KS8000 and honestly I don't think I've had a single HDR game look "washed out" ever.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Looks identical on PS4(Pro) and PC in HDR connected to a LG C7 OLED.

Ah okay, I dunno then I've never had problems with RE7 on PS4

It looks great when there is adequate lighting. I just don't like how the dark areas are pitch black. It's probably more of a personal preference thing than a bad implementation of HDR.

Yeah, I think the pitch black part is intentional. With Resident Evil 2 they wanted to improve lighting conditions so it goes darker. I understand why that wouldn't be liked so much though.

It really isn't. I have RE7 on PC and it has one of the best implementations of HDR I've seen. It's also got great calibration tools to help you get the most from it. (LG B7 OLED).

99% of games on PC that have HDR, I've had zero issues getting proper HDR out after the Windows 10 update. It really is as simple as turning on HDR + WCG in Display Options.

For the record, I've tried the following games, all of which look great with zero issues:

Resident Evil 7
Forza Horizon 4
Redout
Shadow Warrior 2
Assassin's Creed Origins
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Hitman
Hellblade (.ini tweak)
Battlefield 1
Destiny 2 - yeah it is kinda dark but it works
Final Fantasy XV

The only game that gave me problems was Monster Hunter World, but it doesn't officially support HDR and it was a fan patch that I tried to get working.

That's a great list of games, I never really had issues with it going dark ij Destiny 2's darker areas.

Yeah Monster Hunter is terrible regardless of who implemented the HDR. They dropped the ball there.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Black Ops 4 is one of the most half assed attempts at HDR I've ever witnessed. The brightness slider is meant for non HDR TV's. I expect this from Indie games with 4 people working on them. Not one of the biggest games of the year with unlimited resources of development costs. MHW sucks as well in the HDR department.

HereticGrin

Feb 16, 2018
That's weird because HDR looks good on BLOPS 4 for me. I've got a Samsung KS8000 and honestly I don't think I've had a single HDR game look "washed out" ever.

Tried Monster Hunter World? It's by far the worst HDR I've seen, other games like Nier as poster above you mentioned aren't really doing much of anything so I don't care so much, but MHW...boy they butchered it, it was still slightly better than off, but still bad.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to be an ass but I bet plenty of people on this thread are using mediocre HDR TVs. Some of the examples given in here are legit bad (Nier Automata) while others actually have great HDR implementation. If you have one of those $400 budget TVs, every HDR game is gonna look bad for you.