Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note: Obviously I'm talking about ports that were made roughly within the same time period, not ports that arrived years and years later on more powerful hardware

"Superior" version doesn't necessarily mean better looking -- but at the least, it should mean a more full-featured package (it plays better, has notably more stages/characters/content). "Superior" is not a matter of your preferences though -- just because you prefer controller to mouse/keyboard doesn't make a console version superior to the PC original. If local multiplayer is important enough to overcome the graphical deficiencies of a console port, then feel free to submit your favorites.

I was just the other day trying to think of examples of this. For a long time it was pretty rare for a console port to even look or sound as good as the PC/Arcade original, but slowly it started happening. Soul Calibur is the most obvious and notorious example -- the Dreamcast version looked markedly superior to the arcade. Hype surrounding Soul Calibur DC is arguably what turned the series into a long-running and storied franchise. If it had only received a middling PS1 port, it probably would have just been another fighting game forgotten by time. By the same turn, I think Tekken Tag Tournament ended up better on PS2, but it really wasn't as mind-blowing of a revelation after what happened with SC. If SC had never been ported to Dreamcast, I think TTT PS2 would have turned a lot more heads.

In my mind at least, Strider was way better on Genesis than the arcade but that's really just a hazy recollection.

I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to thinking of PC games that wound up better on consoles. Maybe there were some PC games that started in CGA or EGA graphics, and the NES versions benefitted from a bigger color pallete. Something like Maniac Mansion perhaps? Maybe the SNES version of Sim City? From 1995 onward though, I absolutely cannot think of a PC game that wound up notably better on consoles. I suppose Diablo 3 might count if you really hated the online requirement and prefer directly controlling the character.

What are your best examples of this fairly rare phenomenon?

pastry knife

Mar 10, 2020
Diablo 3 is probably going to be a popular answer here. The movement, the dodge roll, the local co-op - all beautifully done, and it's just so much more comfortable than M&K.

PC does still takes the advantage for inventory management, precise aiming of spells and probably performance though.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
The SNES version is often considered superior than the arcade version, no?

Unfortunately I don't have the specific details, this was just my understanding.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soul Calibur! More sepcifially, the arcade version vs Dreamcast

Digital Foundry actually did a video on it!

Edit: Lol whoops, missed it being mentioned in the OP. Thought it started with Diablo 3 :V

brain fart

Last edited:

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to play a Console Port of a PC title that I actually enjoyed more than the original PC game, but from an arcade perspective... A lot of Fighters just felt better to play in the confines of my home.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling a lot of NES games are going to show up in this thread, but the notion will be dubious when a lot of them are really completely different games from the ground up as at the time developers shifted from trying to approximate 1:1 arcade ports and instead design something better suited for the hardware and as a home experience.

Contra was a straight arcade ports with some significant tweaks though, and popular consensus is that the NES version is a better experience.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gain Ground is better on the genesis than in the arcade

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Nes the thread

rygar
Double dragon 123
Ninja gaiden
Strider ( yes strider)
Contra
Castlevania
tmnt 123

Oct 25, 2017
While Soul Calibur DC is the easiest answer as you already said, most if not all arcade->DC ports also apply.
My second answer would be Turtles in Time.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aracde Turtles in Time has a full-on 4-player mode, and that will always make it superior in some people's estimation. The SNES game only supports 2 players.

Beyond that though, the SNES version has a grappling/throw system that was new, and a different set of bosses. It also had a couple new enemies and some remixed stages. I think you could make a good case for it being the better version.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Contra was a straight arcade ports with some significant tweaks though, and popular consensus is that the NES version is a better experience.
The NES versions of Contra and Super C are the first games that came to mind for me.
Contra is a pretty good example because even though the arcade version had much better graphics, it had a screen that was vertically oriented. In a side-scrolling shooter you want to be able to see as far in front of you as is possible, and the horizontal orientation of the NES version gets that right.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I think a lot of the Arcade->NES "improvements" weren't about any technical merits, but rather you got good versions of games that you didn't have to go to an arcade and pump quarters into. Contra, Punch-Out, Bubble Bobble, Gunsmoke, etc. Less that they were "superior" and more that they were readily accessible.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rygar
Double dragon 123
Ninja gaiden
Strider ( yes strider)
Contra
Castlevania
tmnt 123
The NES versions of Ninja Gaiden, Rygar, and Strider are not ports so much as full-on re-imaginings of the IP using a completely different genre.

Castlevania is an interesting example that I would have to do more research on. The arcade Castlevania (Haunted Castle) was shitty, unfair, and hard-as-nails by all accounts. NES Castlevania is difficult but manageable. I think the stages in both are completely different but it has been a while since I played Haunted Castle.

TMNT1 and TMNT3 have no arcade counterpart, as far as I know. As for TMNT2.....it was awesome to be able to play the arcade game at home, but I have no idea how you could come away from the NES version thinking it was better than the arcade.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Diablo 3 is probably going to be a popular answer here. The movement, the dodge roll, the local co-op - all beautifully done, and it's just so much more comfortable than M&K.

PC does still takes the advantage for inventory management, precise aiming of spells and probably performance though.
The dodge roll isn't beautifully done at all with how the game is designed, im surprised more people have realised it's more for show & the enemies can hit you even if you move out the way. It will be interesting to see if they design D4 around the dodge mechanic.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Soul Calibur! More sepcifially, the arcade version vs Dreamcast

Digital Foundry actually did a video on it!

Edit: Lol whoops, missed it being mentioned in the OP. Thought it started with Diablo 3 :V

brain fart

I came here to post this. Soul Calibur on Dreamcast is the best Soul Calibur, and the best fighting game I have ever played.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX

Unfortunately I don't have the specific details, this was just my understanding.
The arcade version has 4p coop and more fleshed out mechanics

The SNES version has some extra stages. People mostly say the SNES is the superior version because it's the one they're most familiar with. Personally I prefer the arcade version.

Edit: Also since somebody is going to almost certainly make me qualify the fleshed out mechanics comment, I don't really remember how, I just remember reading a speedrunner comment on the differences between the versions and noting that the arcade version had some substantial gameplay differences that made it more consistent to play. If I happen to find the rant again I'll link it here

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to play a Console Port of a PC title that I actually enjoyed more than the original PC game, but from an arcade perspective... A lot of Fighters just felt better to play in the confines of my home.
I didn't mention it because of the "It's not about your preferences" clause in my OP, but I definitely liked SF2 better at home because I just think it's easier for me to do all the controller motions on a gamepad rather than a joystick (except for Zangief's spinning piledriver of course). Charge moves and quarter-circle motions just come off a lot more quickly on a pad, at least for me.

Fighting games are more fun at home because it doesn't cost you 50 cents every time you lose. Not to mention that in the arcade a better player could step up and pretty much kick you off the machine in a series of humiliating losses. Though honestly at times that's better than dealing with the cheap-as-shit AI in Mortal Kombat.

pastry knife

Mar 10, 2020
The dodge roll isn't beautifully done at all with how the game is designed, im surprised more people have realised it's more for show & the enemies can hit you even if you move out the way. It will be interesting to see if they design D4 around the dodge mechanic.

Huh! That's funny, maybe it's all psychological then. It feels good, even if it does nothing, haha.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania is an interesting example that I would have to do more research on. The arcade Castlevania (Haunted Castle) was shitty, unfair, and hard-as-nails by all accounts. NES Castlevania is difficult but manageable. I think the stages in both are completely different but it has been a while since I played Haunted Castle.

There was no arcade version of the OG Castlevania. Haunted Castle came out years later (1989 I think). The US localization of Haunted Castle was also made absurdly difficult compared to the JP original.

The original version of Castlevania was on the MSX home computer and it was structured way more like a non-linear action adventure with maze-like screen blocks instead of scrolling stages. The NES version was heavily streamlined into a more concise platforming experience.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While Soul Calibur DC is the easiest answer as you already said, most if not all arcade->DC ports also apply.
What ports do you consider to be superior? Most of them just seemed to be pretty straight conversions, sometimes with a couple throwaway modes added.

Crazy Taxi is the only one that jumps out to me as immediately superior. I think the DC version had a whole new remixed city for you to drive around in.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
There's a case to be made for the Genesis version of Dune 2 which came out a few years later in 1994. Ported by Westwood themselves with some improvements to the presentation, and the more limited scope of such an early RTS made the pace of the action pretty manageable to play with a controller.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original version of Castlevania was on the MSX home computer and it was structured way more like a non-linear action adventure with maze-like screen blocks instead of scrolling stages. The NES version was heavily streamlined into a more concise platforming experience.
I didn't watch the whole video, but they look pretty similar to me:

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess the MSX version on display here is some kind of ROM-hacked approximation of the NES version. The original didn't scroll and just warped you from one screen to the next. In what ways was it non-linear?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Tekken 7 is no doubt superior on PC and console than the arcade, but that's kind of cheating.

Contra's for sure, because the arcade versions are ass.

Oct 25, 2017
What ports do you consider to be superior? Most of them just seemed to be pretty straight conversions, sometimes with a couple throwaway modes added.

Crazy Taxi is the only one that jumps out to me as immediately superior. I think the DC version had a whole new remixed city for you to drive around in.
I would hardly call Tech Romancer's story mode "throwaway", and the same for Alpha 3, Project Justice or Power Stone 2's extra content.
Spawn In the Demon's Hand having splitscreen with no framerate drops (at least as far as I can remember...) is also extremely impressive and worth pointing out.

Mar 18, 2019
Depends on the arcade hardware. If it was low-end to mid-range arcade hardware, then the console version could turn out better. But if it was high-end arcade hardware, then it's unlikely the console version could rival the arcade.

For example, the Sega Saturn got arcade-perfect ports of 2D arcade games that were often better than the arcade, because the Saturn could match or exceed the sprite capabilities of 2D arcade systems like the Capcom CPS2 or Sega System 32. However, the PS1 or Saturn wouldn't have been able to match mid-range to high-end 3D arcade hardware, like the Sega Model 2, let alone the high-end Model 3.

Similarly, the Dreamcast and Sega NAOMI arcade system were both very similar, with some minor advantages for the NAOMI. So the DC ports often ended up being better, since they were close to the arcade originals along with additional features. However, the Dreamcast or PS2 wouldn't have been able to match high-end arcade systems like the Sega Hikaru or NAOMI 2.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There was no arcade version of the OG Castlevania. Haunted Castle came out years later (1989 I think). The US localization of Haunted Castle was also made absurdly difficult compared to the JP original.

No, Castlevania launched on NES (well, FDS) about a month earlier than Vampire Killer on MSX2. They were developed simultaneously but NES released first.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would like to hear more detail on Strider Genesis/Megadrive. I've never played but it looks like it's a marginally worse version of the arcade game from videos.

Chelnov MD always seemed better than Chelnov AC to me. Significant visual reworking, seems harder:

Chelnov_(Japan).png
vs
chelnov.png

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

The arcade version supports 4 players, has a lot of enemies on screen, better SFX and music, voiced cutscenes, sprite zooming and rotation and the gameplay is more of "attack and move" instead of "mash against the opponents"

Gain Ground is better on the genesis than in the arcade

The superior resolution of the arcade version and the greater amount of enemies makes it more of a strategy game than the console version, which plays more like an action game.

Nes the thread

rygar
Double dragon 123
Ninja gaiden
Strider ( yes strider)
Contra
Castlevania
tmnt 123

Rygar is debatable, I prefer the arcade game.
Maybe Double Dragon 3, but the NES version doesnt have much going for it either.
Ninja Gaiden is another game.
Arcade Strider is more frenetic and faster paced.
Most of the bosses in Contra appear above you, so it fits that the game is vertical oriented, the gameplay itself isnt that different, maybe people don't like the goofy jumps from the arcade version?
Castlevania is another game.
If you think TMNT 2 NES is better than the arcade I don't know what to tell you.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aracde Turtles in Time has a full-on 4-player mode, and that will always make it superior in some people's estimation. The SNES game only supports 2 players.

Beyond that though, the SNES version has a grappling/throw system that was new, and a different set of bosses. It also had a couple new enemies and some remixed stages. I think you could make a good case for it being the better version.
The arcade version has 4p coop and more fleshed out mechanics

The SNES version has some extra stages. People mostly say the SNES is the superior version because it's the one they're most familiar with. Personally I prefer the arcade version.

Edit: Also since somebody is going to almost certainly make me qualify the fleshed out mechanics comment, I don't really remember how, I just remember reading a speedrunner comment on the differences between the versions and noting that the arcade version had some substantial gameplay differences that made it more consistent to play. If I happen to find the rant again I'll link it here
The arcade version supports 4 players, has a lot of enemies on screen, better SFX and music, voiced cutscenes, sprite zooming and rotation and the gameplay is more of "attack and move" instead of "mash against the opponents"
Ahh, alrighty.
Not sure why I thought I had heard the opposite, but I'll concede that then.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
TMNT 2 on Nes is arguably better than the arcade version. It may not have the 4 player action or graphics of the arcade cabinet, but I'd argue that with the extended and added levels, the NES version is the superior game.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
The NES versions of Ninja Gaiden, Rygar, and Strider are not ports so much as full-on re-imaginings of the IP using a completely different genre.

TMNT1 and TMNT3 have no arcade counterpart, as far as I know. As for TMNT2.....it was awesome to be able to play the arcade game at home, but I have no idea how you could come away from the NES version thinking it was better than the arcade.

Also, double dragon 1 for nes was not co-op

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The superior resolution of the arcade version and the greater amount of enemies makes it more of a strategy game than the console version, which plays more like an action game.

My issue with the arcade version is that some of the "puzzles" require such specific plays while combined with the janky hitboxes of some of the enemies/your attacks that it feels like it was designed to suck your quarters until you found the specific solution.

Meanwhile, the genesis version while being much, much easier, it still requires some strategy, and also could lend to some improvisation in case that you fucked up, although some later stages still require specific units