Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Now before I even start, I know full well of the comments that say none or something of the like.

So after grabbing the Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One X to tide me over until Ampere/Next-gen I jumped back into Forza Horizon 4. I have roughly 120 hours in it, but it's still incredibly fun and still surprises me as it's the only racing games I've ever played at 30fps that actually felt really gold. Now when I had my PC I found out that the motion blur makes a big difference in making it feel good (Long @ 30/Short @ 60).

Anyways it got me thinking? What are other games or even developers who make games that make 30 FPS feel really good? Especially in genres where 30 usually feels off/bad.

The main ones I can think are Forza Horizon and Bungie games. Hall always felt great at 30 and Destiny feels great as well!

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Lol, especially a racing game at 30 FPS, that's your exmaple of feeling good? Nah...

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
Wow the title just make me remember DmC marketing that says "the feel of 60 fps".

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I think 30 fps will never be good for games.

People can say they are used to 30 and they won't see the difference with 60 but man.. I just can't believe that.

The difference is night and day literally.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Honestly most Nintendo games always felt fine at 30. Of course 60 would be better, but I was never actively put off by the framerate. Same goes for most Sony first party games. As long as the input lag is fairly low and the game pacing isn't balls to the wall, 30 works well enough.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kirby on Switch plays well on 30 fps.
It'd be better on 60 fps though.

But a general answer... I guess some visual novels?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
doom eternal... in opposite land! lol feel my 120 fps roar from my mom's basement you plebs

Nov 1, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake does a great job at locking itself at 30 fps, it felt great to play. Of course you can view the approach to level design as a negative but I thought for the most part it was paced well enough.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
None, but I played SH2 on PC at 30fps and never even realised it was running at that framerate, so that's cool I guess.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake does a great job at locking itself at 30 fps, it felt great to play. Of course you can view the approach to level design as a negative but I thought for the most part it was paced well enough.
Came to mention this. FF7R feels extremely responsive. Most RPGs are just fine at 30fps, too.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the closest is DmC.

But you play that and even then you realize that the game isn't as responsive as DMC4 due to the framerate.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now before I even start, I know full well of the comments that say none or something of the like.

So after grabbing the Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One X to tide me over until Ampere/Next-gen I jumped back into Forza Horizon 4. I have roughly 120 hours in it, but it's still incredibly fun and still surprises me as it's the only racing games I've ever played at 30fps that actually felt really gold. Now when I had my PC I found out that the motion blur makes a big difference in making it feel good (Long @ 30/Short @ 60).

Anyways it got me thinking? What are other games or even developers who make games that make 30 FPS feel really good? Especially in genres where 30 usually feels off/bad.

The main ones I can think are Forza Horizon and Bungie games. Hall always felt great at 30 and Destiny feels great as well!

99% of the Sony first party games are native 1080p, have great IQ, great motion blur, great frame pacing, great controller input response and a solid 30fps framerate with very few (if any) dips.

If you don't target 60fps on console then this is how it should be done.

OP
OP
HououinKyouma00
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, especially a racing game at 30 FPS, that's your exmaple of feeling good? Nah...
Have you played Forza Horizon. It definitely feels better at 60fps and basically every game does but Horizon does a good job at making 30 FPS in a racing game not feel like shit. Hell for awhile I locked it at 30 FPS on PC despite being able to hit 1440/60 just because it was hard to move from 30-60 after probably 500 hours playing at 30 between 1-4.
Horizon Zero Dawn feels smooth as hell to play
See below, but yeah I forgot how good Horizon felt.
This is funny because I bet real money Cyberpunk WON'T feel good at the (sub?) 30 fps it'll run in on the One X.
I didn't buy it specifically for Cyberpunk. I mainly bought it because I wanted to play Forza Horizon and Halo 3/ODST again.

I won't be building another PC until Ampere/R4000 and it tided me over. Plus I had a gift card.

99% of the Sony first party games are native 1080p, have great IQ, great motion blur, great frame pacing, great controller input response and a solid 30fps framerate with very few (if any) dips.

If you don't target 60fps on console then this is how it should be done.
This is fair. The Sony games do feel really good.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
god Of war,

but honestly I've always felt 30fps feels more cinematic, and I like it. I only care for 60fps in fighters and action games like dmc

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to say Assassin's Creed but then I remembered Mirrors Edge Catalyst and how much better it plays.

I guess I'll echo what others have said and say that usually a 30 fps racing game is fine for me. Unless you were playing in VR, then I think you would want at least 90 fps.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Came to mention this. FF7R feels extremely responsive. Most RPGs are just fine at 30fps, too.

Most RPGs are NOT fine at 30fps. I absolutely abhor this view. RPGs still have tons of animation and motion throughout, cutscenes and all that and those are all better presented in 60fps. Menus too should ALL be as responsive as possible because a low frame rate in a menu means you're going to have delay between inputs, incorrect inputs and just generally poor gameplay at that point.

FF9's PC port was roundly hated by speedrunners because its menus are incredibly laggy pieces of junk compared to the PS1 version, which responds at 60fps. It is a night and day difference. You spend a bajillion hours in menus. You want your inputs to always be correct.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony exclusives with locked 30 fps are perfectly enjoyable but oh boy it never feels 'great'.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Uncharted for sure

FF7R as well

I am surprised people are saying Horizon - that game felt like jank city

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
You can have longer motion blur at 60 FPS; it's up to the developer.

When it comes to inputs and camera control, there isn't a game that benefits from 30 FPS, even turn-based games benefit with the aforementioned.

Last 30 FPS game I enjoyed was Project Gotham Racing 4. Even that would've benefitted from 60 FPS; motion clarity with motion blur when judging corners wasn't the best.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man feels smooth as hell most of the time.
Yeah it would be better at 60 but while playing it I don't consider it at all. That's why a lot of people don't mind locked 30 games. Not because there's literally no difference but because in the midst of playing a well made and performing 30 game most people don't notice and issue with input or feel the need for better.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
The Halo games. I don't remember caring about the difference between CoD and Halo back in the day. I didn't notice it.

Dec 31, 2017
I mean 30fps games are definitely playable, but saying they feel great imo is living in denial. It's more of a compromise of being stuck on the same hardware for too long and pushing graphics beyond what is reasonable on that hardware as I doubt any game designer would push for 30fps otherwise.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
All Souls games. 60 FPS always feels like watching one of those TVs with that weird smoothing feature on.

Status
Not open for further replies.