Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Games that don't tell the player that they're the most awesome most badass person in the universe. Games that are mean to the player.

name them.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Spec Ops: The Line fits this.

bs144xx8l37x.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The World Ends With You's Neku is a horrible dude during the game. People aren't backwards in coming forwards about pointing this out too.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't Starve is a good one. Whenever I play that game I feel completely on the back foot because it feels like almost everything is stacked against me.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
That is what I like about the Souls games. They feel like they are there to be an adversary, not to provide you with a power fantasy.
Weird thread concept, I don't feel like this is that rare
Honestly, I think it is pretty rare that games aren't acting as huge ego boosts. So many games are filled with characters who spend half of their dialogue telling you how special, cool, and important you are. On the gameplay side, we had the majority of the PS360 generation of titles giving you almost no pushback so that you could trounce all over the game and feel like a badass. I think video games are frequently guilty of puffing up egos shamelessly.

Deleted member 99377

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Honestly, I think it is pretty rare that games aren't acting as huge ego boosts. So many games are filled with characters who spend half of their dialogue telling you how special, cool, and important you are. On the gameplay side, we had the majority of the PS360 generation of titles giving you almost no pushback so that you could trounce all over the game and feel like a badass. I think video games are frequently guilty of puffing up egos shamelessly.
Not saying that there aren't games that puff up egos, just that games that do not are equally as present.

Jan 10, 2018
Henry from Kingdom Come. He sucks at absolutely everything for the most part of the game and he's just this random dude that happened to get mixed up in ugly business.

4ncR4CKWSrsHSTuZ8Dwt2H.jpg

Kemono

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
giphy-downsized-large.gif

You might feel like a bad ass from time to time but that feeling often ends right around the next corner...

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
You're literally the chosen one.
I guess it depends on which one you're talking about, but this isn't really the case. In Dark Souls, for instance, they basically tell every undead they're the chosen undead; in the case of the player character they happen to be right, but only because (and only if) you actually beat the game/do the thing.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Pathologic 2 is the correct answer. Cannot literally save everyone and the situation is way bigger than you

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2.

The game which some people hate because they apparently wanted a feel-good sequel for Ellie and Joel which was never realistic to begin with after the ending of Part 1. The game is also about self harm and the weaknesses of the protagonists more than anything else.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Baba Is You.

"You can complete this puzzle? Well what if I add a wall here, how about now..."

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
No More Heroes. Travis is a horrible murderer motivated by bloodlust and sexual lust. The only people not cheering for his death are the one you pay for training.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
The long dark, Story mode
You're a middle age divorced man without any notable talent (you can fly a plane but the plane crush in the intro)

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020

Nowhere Prophet is one of the most brutal deckbuilding roguelites I've played, both by it's atmoshpere/setting and difficulty. Sure, your followers think you're the tech prophet leading them to greatness, but nobody told that to the rest of the hostile world.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Games that don't tell the player that they're the most awesome most badass person in the universe. Games that are mean to the player.

name them.
Disco Elysium is a masterpiece. Go play it.

The main character is a pathetic loser of a detective that wakes up after drinking himself to oblivion is delirious and can't remember anything.
He's supposed to investigate a murder.
The amnesia isn't played for jokes, he is an absolute fuckup.

It's the best written game I've played.
And very funny!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Outward
Don't Starve
Disco Elysium

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
This is kinda what I like about Dragon Age 2, especially compared to Inquisition: for the most part, you're just a mercenary piece of shit who's caught up in and dragged along by events.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like any game where you are still killing 100s don't fit the bill.

Out of left field, but I'll say the survival genre does this. Minecraft, Arc, Long Dark, etc. Anything you do has to be earned. Anything can be lost at any given time. I'm sure PVP online is all an ego fest, but the PVE/Single player is pretty ego-less.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
A.M.O.K PC/Sega Saturn

The game's plot is basically a war stopped, peace started, but peace isn't profitable. So you're there to reignite the war. No hero stuff, just assholery.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The Witcher setting is really good at this. You're basically a non-human, a monster, being looked down upon, and the whole world does that even if they don't have any chance of defending themselves against you.

Really like that approach as you're not a god damn chosen one.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Binding of Isaac takes an almost perverse joy in being an absolute dick to you mechanically speaking

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
The Witcher setting is really good at this. You're basically a non-human, a monster, being looked down upon, and the whole world does that even if they don't have any chance of defending themselves against you.

Really like that approach as you're not a god damn chosen one.

Plus even if Geralt is special,
the real chosen one Ciri