MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
So I've been playing Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (it's amazing) on my PC at 4k60, and god damn, for an original xbox game it looks surprisingly modern. A game I got in a humble bundle for throwaway money is basically the same as what we would get if they remastered the game for consoles. More and more I see posts about older games where people say "man I would kill for an HD remaster". Most recently in the Metal Gear Rising thread. It's a bummer to realize console players can't experience that game at 1080p 60 even. Most last gen games can run 4k60 (or even downsampled from 8k) on a very modest rig, and for way older stuff like Splinter Cell you can probably even run it on whatever laptop/pc you use for browsing if you don't have a gaming rig. I wonder if anybody does budget PC builds specifically to have a "remaster" machine?

So far this year I've played Chaos Theory, The Darkness II and MassEffect 2 at 4k60 and they still look incredible imo. Thinking about Hitman Blood Money next (I've only played Contracts, Absolution, and 2016). What old games have you been playing lately that look like modern games when you max them out on PC?

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
What PC spec are you using to get 4K60?

Borderlands 1 is a lovely looking game at 4K. It looks so clean.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Playing through all the asscreed games in 4k. im currently up to asscreed 4 and i said wow. Revelations gave mad me say wow a bit, as did 3 but i said wow to asscreed 4. looks really good in 4k.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil 6
A6B046CC33AB13C9D353171B26637DC50EED4D8E

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (especially second one)
16C6207C112EEA8D0CB3884E5B72FE46CC9386DC

3E5817D19628188F6966F6753B49C26F99FB2E7E

Dead Space
0D058AC2BE166E9565392C9572F0613C2FFE7734

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Playing through all the asscreed games in 4k. im currently up to asscreed 4 and i said wow. Revelations gave mad me say wow a bit, as did 3 but i said wow to asscreed 4. looks really good in 4k.
I was thinking about playing 3 as well. The only one I played is 4, I've heard bad stuff about 3 but I'm super into the setting.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madness Returns in 4K60 with all Physx effects turned on is a thing of absolute beauty.

Honestly any multiplat game from the 360/PS3 era on PC at 4k60 looks gorgeous. There was so much great artwork buried under a 720p resolution on consoles.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I was thinking about playing 3 as well. The only one I played is 4, I've heard bad stuff about 3 but I'm super into the setting.
I tried to play 3 with an open mind, as with what i'm going to do when i play Unity. I'll say that if you play from brotherhood to Asscreed 3, you'll basically see the series getting strip away of its best features. I understand the complaint about part 3 now from the community, though. There's ups and downs but maybe you'll find gold in it or not but atleast it connects the stories of the other one previous games.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Madness Returns in 4K60 with all Physx effects turned on is a thing of absolute beauty.

Honestly any multiplat game from the 360/PS3 era on PC at 4k60 looks gorgeous. There was so much great artwork buried under a 720p resolution on consoles.
Indeed. I'd say everything post-PS2 benefits from high resolution (and of course everything benefits from high framerate).

As a concrete example I still think FF13 can look amazing (some downsampled shots):

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS

I couldn't get past the tutorial in 3. It didn't help that the tutorial section is about eight hours long.

That's one of the reasons why in AC4, you can take assassin missions before ever becoming an assassin.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a multiplat since it was only on PC, but the original Witcher looks ridiculous at 4K

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Same applies with all the emulators. It's amazing how gorgeous a lot of games are in Dolphin. Gamecube/Wii games rendering at 4k can be downright beautiful.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
The funny thing is that a lot of older games, pre 360/ps3 games don't necessarily look too hot in 4k IMO. The art assets were never meant to be seen that clearly and the low number of polygons used to make the environments really stand out at that resolution. There are exceptions of course, but that's how a bunch of those games looked to me when I went back to them.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Resident Evil 6 at 4K almost looks Next Gen due to the lighting/shadows, shame the textures are a bit shit.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is that a lot of older games, pre 360/ps3 games don't necessarily look too hot in 4k IMO. The art assets were never meant to be seen that clearly and the low number of polygons used to make the environments really stand out at that resolution. There are exceptions of course, but that's how a bunch of those games looked to me when I went back to them.
I actually like how many of last gen titles look in high res on PC. Also Gears3 and RDR on XBX look amazing, I think.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about all these claims of 4k60 on 980 and 1050's I had a 1080 and had to make consessions to get stable frames maybe old game are easier and that's why but if your buying a 1050-60-70 for 4K you will be disappointed

I sold mine and got a 1080ti with an i72600k and still have to make some concessions.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. I'd say everything post-PS2 benefits from high resolution (and of course everything benefits from high framerate).

As a concrete example I still think FF13 can look amazing (some downsampled shots):
Some of this game's art design is incredible. I don't think I could ever stomach playing through it again, but... man. It's tempting

(screenshots from DeadEndThrills.com)

Alan Wake is another good one.

styxandstones.png

Apr 10, 2018
I'm curious as to how yall are having success with DS1. I adore both games you've mentioned, and when i've tried to play the first game on PC at 60 fps, I remember having all kinds of problems with mouse and controller aiming. It seemed to "want" to run at 30. Are there any mods or anything you're using? I honestly don't care whether I play with m+k or controller, I'd just like to replay the game and have it function properly.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious as to how yall are having success with DS1. I adore both games you've mentioned, and when i've tried to play the first game on PC at 60 fps, I remember having all kinds of problems with mouse and controller aiming. It seemed to "want" to run at 30. Are there any mods or anything you're using? I honestly don't care whether I play with m+k or controller, I'd just like to replay the game and have it function properly.
Disable ingame vsync and enable vsync through your video card driver panel. Aiming was a bit sluggish on controller, but can be fixed (to some degree) with steam controller settings (adjust deadzone and sensitivity).
And there is fix for KB/M https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dead_Space#Mouse_acceleration.2C_lag.2C_and_random_sensitivity
I also recommend to install FOV fixer from PCGW page.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Not old, but Breath of the Wild on CEMU. It looks really great despite the low res textures. I only wish there was a mod to fix the environment pop-in.

OP
OP
MazeHaze

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Not sure about all these claims of 4k60 on 980 and 1050's I had a 1080 and had to make consessions to get stable frames maybe old game are easier and that's why but if your buying a 1050-60-70 for 4K you will be disappointed

I sold mine and got a 1080ti with an i72600k and still have to make some concessions.
Did you read the thread title? Or OP? The thread is specifically about older last gen and earlier games, which run 4k60 and beyond on a 980 with ease. This thread has nothing to do with running current, recently released games at 4k60. I can assure you that the games mentioned all run above 4k60 on a 980 or 1050-60-70

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
GTA IV @ 4K 60fps with ENB graphics mod <3

...but pretty much any last gen multiplat can enjoy the 4K remaster treatment on PC.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's really the amount of polygon that makes it look strange, save for the cases where some games were obviously designed with a lower resolution in mind to mitgate what would otherwise be some very angular looking characters and assets.

The biggest issue is probably very low resolution textures that don't scale as well when rendered in sharper resolution and thus looks very jarring compared to the other visual components. Games that rely more on geometry (rather than baking more detail into diffuse textures as a crutch) thus end up looking still very nice and cohesive in higher resolutions, like Metroid Prime does.

Also the reason Mirror's Edge scales up great. The game has a very sharp clean look because they opted out of a "jack of all trades" approach to textures and sacrificed diffuse texture quality for higher resolution normals, and relied more on the normals for detail compared to diffuse. It works very well for the kind of sterile environments the game depicts.

Oct 28, 2017
I7/1080 gtx here.

To be honest, all my recent PC gaming has been maxed out older games. Just finished Sleeping Dogs at 4K/60 it was wonderful!

Taking a break for Prey and Resident Evil 7, not at 4K unfortunately, but lined up after that Bayonetta, Vanquish and Max Payne 3, well looking forward to them!!

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
BioShock Infinite
Tomb Raider 2013
Mirror's Edge
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Dead Space 1, 2, 3
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010
Psychonauts
Skyrim
Dark Souls
Crysis 2/3
Battlefield 3/4
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2/3
Black Ops/2
Breath of the Wild on Cemu
Mario Kart 8 on Cemu
Demon's Souls on RPCS3
Final Fantasy XIII
Deadly Premonition
Condemned Criminal Origins
Resident Evil 4/5/6
Max Payne 3
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Sleeping Dogs
Witcher 2
Grand Theft Auto 4
Need for Speed Underground/2
Need for Speed Most Wanted/Carbon
Dragon Age Origins
Assassin's Creed 2, 3, 4

Pretty much anything and everything from last gen and before should be no issues for you OP.