Feb 21, 2022
Damn. Weren't they doing a big Dragon Age coverage thingie?

Still, I'm surprised they lasted this long. Same goes for all other big gaming outlets. They just can't compete with YouTubers/Streamers.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Oh fuck, that sucks. Game Informer is the first magazine I subscribed as a kid.

Best of luck to everyone losing their job. :(

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
So it goes. Landscape has changed too much unfortunately. Can't imagine the sales of magazines were good enough to keep it up for much longer.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
man, this and romhacking.net this week getting shitcanned is a real 1-2 punch to my teenage years tbh

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Jesus, heart breaking to see one of the best closing the curtains. Best of luck to everyone at GI.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
I wonder what happens to their physical membership? Also is the website shutting down? I check their calendar regularly

oty

Banned
Feb 28, 2023
just absolutely gut-wrenching. gaming is irreversibly going to dark places

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
This fucking sucks. The end of an era. I hope the staff there lands on their feet. Loved their magazines as a kid.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I used Game Informers calendar to check release dates all the time

amara

Nov 23, 2021
kotaku.com

GameStop Shuts Down Game Informer, The Longest-Running Gaming Magazine In The US [Update]

The meme stock gaming retailer is laying off staff and taking the website offline
Staff at the magazine, which also publishes a website, weekly podcast, and online video documentaries about game studios and developers, were all called into a meeting on Friday with parent company GameStop's VP of HR. In it they were told the publication was closing immediately, they were all laid off, and would begin receiving severance terms. At least one staffer was on the middle of a work trip when the team was told. The sudden closure of Game Informer means that issue number 367, the outlet's Dragon Age: The Veilguard cover story, will be its last.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
33 years, truly the end of an era.
Seeing the German game magazines shrinking in the last decade (both in pages and different magazines) has me waiting for the big ones to fold for a while now.

grizzlyburrs

Apr 23, 2020
The whole 'getting published by a dying store' was always a devil's bargain but it still stings. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Damn and I'd subscribed to their new print subscription back in April too. Currently have the Dragon Age issue sitting in my bag...

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Staff at the magazine, which also publishes a website, weekly podcast, and online video documentaries about game studios and developers, were all called into a meeting on Friday with parent company GameStop's VP of HR. In it they were told the publication was closing immediately, they were all laid off, and would begin receiving severance terms. At least one staffer was on the middle of a work trip when the team was told. The sudden closure of Game Informer means that issue number 367, the outlet's Dragon Age: The Veilguard cover story, will be its last.

Absolute garbage.

keyrodi

Feb 19, 2018
Oh wow. Reading the title was like a shot to the heart, which is strange b/c I haven't thought about GI in ages.

But man, from like 2003 to 2012, I was subscribed to them and voraciously read all of them until gaming news on the internet was normalized. They turned into a glorified marketing mag within that period, so it was a good time to hop off.

What's everyone's fav issue? Mine has to be the Oblivion issue, issue 138 October 2004. It left me SO excited for the game that I switched from Playstation to Xbox.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A shame, the apes that lead Gamestop don't understand how to run a business and their continued failure harms the whole industry