SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
tailschannel.com

Full version of Sonic OVA theme "Look-a-like" uncovered - Tails' Channel

After all those years, fans are now able to listen to the full version of "Look-a-like", Sonic OVA's theme.

«Look-a-like» is the ending theme of Sonic OVA performed by Riyu Konaka. Its full version was never officially released, though most of the song can be heard in the original Japanese release of the movie. And its short edit was later released in the official «True Colors: The Best of Sonic the Hedgehog Part 2» album.

In all variations available on the Internet we can hear the line «A short while ago, I was born» which then repeats twice, but in the movie the first time sounds as «A long time ago…», though we cannot hear the rest due to the dialogue of the characters.

illuminor decided to get to the bottom of it and reached out to one of the people who was involved in creating of Sonic OVA. We will not disclose the identity of this person not to cause them any troubles. The original plan of illuminor was to ask for the song's lyrics, but his interlocutor exceeded all expectations and just sent the whole track instead of the plain text. And so, friends, for the first time in history we are happy to introduce you the full and original version of the song «Look-a-like». Have a nice listening!

I myself never picked up on the fact that what was in the credits of the OVA wasn't the full version. Fans realized a longer version must exist because in the OVA, there's a part with unique lyrics that the characters talk over. Amazing that the full version was just now uncovered.

And if you're wondering, yes, the previously unavailable lyrics are just as nonsensical as the rest.
A long time ago one caveman had a busy life making tons of names

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ON THIS PLANET

RIDING MY BIKE

I NOTICE

I NOTICE

MANY MANY THINGS THAT LOOK ALIKE

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RectangularPleasingBeauceron-size_restricted.gif

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yes, the Sonic OVA is one of the greatest things to come out of the franchise and it's a real shame neither the original soundtrack nor a remastered Blu Ray release ever came about.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. Yes. Was in love with this song the moment I watched the OVA about, what, 20 years ago? Amazing. It's a good jam.

now please please please someone uncover the entire soundtrack

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
illuminor decided to get to the bottom of it and reached out to one of the people who was involved in creating of Sonic OVA. We will not disclose the identity of this person not to cause them any troubles. The original plan of illuminor was to ask for the song's lyrics, but his interlocutor exceeded all expectations and just sent the whole track instead of the plain text. And so, friends, for the first time in history we are happy to introduce you the full and original version of the song «Look-a-like». Have a nice listening!
Goddamn holy shit, Sonic fans are truly something else. Amazing stuff.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I used to absolutely adore this movie and this dumb song lmao. Amazing.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
On a Sunday
Riding my bike

and

On this planet
Drinking my coffee

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Sonic fanbase is crazy and that's why I love it and being part of it.

What a random but wonderful little find.

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, that's super unexpected. Now someone please find South Island's theme, and land of darkness.

OVA deserves so much more, it needs a remaster rerelease, as well as the ost.

Sequel helmed by Tyson Hesse?

Last edited:

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I remember hearing a part of this song in a trailer for the Sonic OVA in Sonic Jam's museum. Good times.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've never heard this before and you could have convinced me this was an actual chart-topping pop song.

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic OVAs were amazing, I wish we could have gotten a full length anime show in that style. Now it's too late for something like that, although the style lives on in sonic mania adventures in a way.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
The Sonic fanbase is so wild sometimes, they dig up such weird niche things somehow. That Sonic statue in the woods from pretty recently which has since been restored was another great example of this which I found really interesting. Keep being amazing y'all.

Culver

May 9, 2018
I've been replaying this for a few hours and even though the lyrics are real hokey. I'm still digging it.

Mar 22, 2020
Wow, a lot of memories come flooding back listening to this track and the South Island theme. At one point I had at least 5 different remixes of the South Island theme on my MP3 player.

I used to rent a VHS of the Sonic OVA from my local blockbuster almost every weekend as a kid until my Mom just outright bought the movie for me. I still have it tucked away somewhere... I'm really itching to rewatch it now.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Heard from somewhere this OVA was originally a pilot for a scrapped series? Would have loved a full-length Sonic anime, set in a post-apocalypse the way this OVA was.

Thanks for posting OP--this song is still a guilty pleasure of mine.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, this is fantastic. I love this song and I was so excited when they put it on the True Colors CD

Since folks are talking to the Sonic OVA folks, they should ask them if they have a full version of this song as well. Favorite track from the movie

Mar 22, 2020
Seeing as a lot of us are in mutual appreciation of the Sonic OVA soundtrack, I figured some of you might like this 8-bit remixed theme:

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
This is a wild find. Never underestimate this community when it comes to unearthing such niche things. Full version of the song is even better!

This is making me want to rewatch the OVA; it's been quite a while since I last watched it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sonic needs a worm characters as an ode to the many ear worm songs.

This is obviously one of them. Up there with Super Sonic Racers.

b00

Oct 28, 2017
Wow that's really cool. I have such fond memories of watching the imported vhs tapes as a kid before it was localized. The original release was divided into two half hour episodes and for a while I only had the first one. It was so amazing finally getting to see the second half almost a year later which felt like an eternity back then. Anyway just going to leave this here if it's allowed.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic fandom is the best fandom. I'm glad he's my favorite video game character. :)

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god, this is fantastic. I love this song and I was so excited when they put it on the True Colors CD

Since folks are talking to the Sonic OVA folks, they should ask them if they have a full version of this song as well. Favorite track from the movie

You may be interested in this Soundcloud, which is full of some pretty decent recreations of the OVA soundtrack.

Some tracks are better than others and overall it's not perfect, but it's still very good.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I never saw the OVA or heard this song before but this is legitimately a great song to listen to, wow! o.o Now I feel like playing Sonic R again!

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think I used to have a realaudio clip of this song I used to listen to daily.

Weird to finally hear it in full. And also kinda reassuring that somebody had this backed up somewhere, gives me hope that a full soundtrack could appear one day.