PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At this point it seems pretty clear that whatever plan they had to make more games with Sony is probably not going to happen. I wonder if Namco just gave them too much money to keep going, or if Sony backed away from the contract after the last couple of DPA games reviewed poorly.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
The following five trademarks were filed on January 31:
The next entry, announced as The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me, will likely launch in 2022.
www.gematsu.com

Supermassive Games trademarks five new The Dark Pictures titles

Supermassive Games has filed five new trademarks with logos for its The Dark Pictures series in Europe.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Honestly? I'm good. I tried to like these games and they've all felt lukewarm in comparison to Until Dawn. They're just not that great and even for the cheap price of $40, the games aren't worth it to me. I even refunded Little Hope (I think that's the name lol?) because of how bored and uninteresting the game was after like 30 minutes of gameplay. Unless these games look far better and are much higher quality, I'm pretty much done with Dark Pictures games

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
House of Ashes was much, much better than Little Hope and based on the synopsis I'm excited for the next game in the series too so as long as they continue to be good give me more, please.

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
I still need to play house of ashes but I love this developer and these games. I hope they keep 'em coming.

So we have got enough games per year to see us through the current generation. Sweet.

I just hope that them dropping the PS4/ Xbox one versions results in better games in terms of visuals and load times. The games already look stunning, I can't wait to see what they look like without older hardware holding them back

Edit: an actual question, since I can't find it on Google.

To my knowledge, an Anthology is 8.

2019 - Man of Medan, 2020 - Little Hope, 2021 - House of Ashes, 2022 - The Devil In Me.

2023 - 2027 - these 5 games, make it 9.

What is the 9 that ends in the ology and what is this term called? I have heard of a duology, trilogy, etc, but never found out what the proper term is called.

Last edited:

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't played these and really need to do so. I have a feeling what they're going to do (with 5 being trademarked at once) is make some kind of episodic anthology series this time around instead of three separate titles. It would match the typical 5 episode release strategy that a bunch of episodic games seem to follow.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down for all of em. Maybe O Death will delve more unto the Curator's story? And Winterfold better come out during winter lol

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Feels a bit like a Telltale situation where they make an incredible game that everyone loved and now they're spreading thin trying to capture that again

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022
Until Dawn was great and these were just a major flop for me. Teasing something good and then abandoning it and just not delivering anything fun. Also none of the choices matter.

Also for what they're charging for 4-5 hours and no replay-ability sucks.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
This will make 9 games? I thought they only planned 8? I'm down for as many as they make. I loved the first 3.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
House of Ashes has been their only good one so far, at least to me, and considering that was the latest one they made im actually pretty interested in these future titles

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dope. I'm happy they get to continue working on cinematic adventures. Hopefully in the future they move away from the scary theme. I personally would like to see them tackle a global warming theme based on natural disaster movies of the past and present.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm down for all of em. Maybe O Death will delve more unto the Curator's story? And Winterfold better come out during winter lol
Yea that's a good guess about the Curator. It seems like they are leading up to something with him.

Edit: Hadn't clicked the link and seen the logos yet. That's the only one that's got 'presents' in the title. Hmm

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's honestly disappointing. I was hoping they'd be done after the next one and move onto something else. None of them have even come close to Until Dawn for me.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Only played Man of Medan which was disappointing, but I love the concept of these games. Glad they are going to make more.

A lot of potential here, hopefully with House of Ashes being well received they can keep the momentum going.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Is it too late to break my promise on us playing Suicide Squad together due to you liking these games or did I sign a deal with the devil?

just asking for a friend
As a fan of the genre, it really makes me happy.
Games like this just not being made anymore, and glad that Supermassive found their niche and are able to continue doing the games they love.

I will be supporting them, even if in Resetera I make the OTs for 5 people lol

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
  • The Craven Man (Slenderman)
  • O Death (Grim Reaper/Curator)
  • Directive 8020 (Alien/Space Ghosts)
  • Intercession (Demonic Possession)
  • Winterfold (Cabin Fever/Mountain Man)

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My friend and I co-op all of these so I'm happy.

Funny that the ending theme in all the games is a title now.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
As a fan of the genre, it really makes me happy.
Games like this just not being made anymore, and glad that Supermassive found their niche and are able to continue doing the games they love.

I will be supporting them, even if in Resetera I make the OTs for 5 people lol
I love the genre and the type of games they make but I simply don't like the quality of their games, personally. And I say that as someone who fucking adored Until Dawn and literally played it from start to finish in one sitting lmao. Hell, I'm not denying that these games aren't in demand (obviously) but I can't help but feel like this strategy of releasing so many of these games is hurting the quality of them. I feel like if they focused on making one great game at a time, their games would be far more appealing to me cause thus far, none of the Dark Pictures games have hit for me like Until Dawn did

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
  • The Craven Man (Slenderman)
  • O Death (Grim Reaper/Curator)
  • Directive 8020 (Alien/Space Ghosts)
  • Intercession (Demonic Possession)
  • Winterfold (Cabin Fever/Mountain Man)

I'm getting middle ages vibes from Intercession but the rest seem about right I think. The space one, especially, would be interesting. Especially if it were to take place on and around a space station.

I'd also like to throw in my thoughts that anyone who doesn't like these games because of Little Hope should give House of Ashes a try. It's a really strong pivot in the right direction that has me super keen for the rest of these games.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
The mad lads are really going to try and do 9 of these

At this point it seems pretty clear that whatever plan they had to make more games with Sony is probably not going to happen. I wonder if Namco just gave them too much money to keep going, or if Sony backed away from the contract after the last couple of DPA games reviewed poorly.

I mean, I feel like that was pretty obvious when they announced a series that was going to have multiple entires with another company

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Super curious to see what Directive 8020 looks like. While none of them have hit the highs of Until Dawn for me, I love that they have found success with the Dark Pictures if they're reupping for so many more. House of Ashes was the best of the three so far, too, so I'm optimistic for them going forward.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Dark Pictures Anthology so I'll definitely be picking these up. My gf and I love playing these together.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They trademarked another back in august. So that makes 10.

Maybe Namco greenlit a 3rd season and they're doing 12? Crazy if they are.

NmCu43uBUTen-SG8FrV4TZMzTBv80JHtHgJh3DllDPE.jpg

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah yeah yeah! Just keep giving me schlocky fun games I can play with my sister. They're a Halloween (or close to) tradition at this point.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
They've been getting progressively better.

Man of Medan was pretty stinky, Little Hope was okay up until the ending borked the landing, but House of Ashes was legit great. If they can keep the momentum (and maybe go more into the overarching narrative that apparently exists), I'm still in.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
It's what Namco paid for. 8 games, with The Devil in Me being the end of season 1 later this year.

I feel like the actual number of games fluctuated as time went on. I do remember they initially said that was the plan, but obviously had the first few been flops that never would have happened. It's still interesting to me

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't O Death the intro song of Until Dawn?

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, not a lot of easily accessible games like these in the horror game space so if they got the leeway, keep bringing em in

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like a lot on paper but honestly, I've come to enjoy playing one of these the last few years around Halloween. They don't overstay their welcome and are priced well so I'm happy to see there's more coming.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Dope. I'm happy they get to continue working on cinematic adventures. Hopefully in the future they move away from the scary theme. I personally would like to see them tackle a global warming theme based on natural disaster movies of the past and present.
Wow! this is a really great idea!
I would love to see this.
I am playing house of ashes at moment and played until down and man of Medan.
I love cinematic games but I think they need to elevate their cinematic presentation and Payne bring some new cool fresh ideias for his gameplay.
Anyway i still love that this type of games still exists nowadays.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
Winterfold is actually mentioned during the epilogue of House of Ashes with it being
something the mysterious organization was also a part of.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I wish we got more than one per year, especially as they're generally so mediocre and overlong. I'd rather have a 2-3 hour film-length game as I feel like the cliches become tiresome over 5-6 hours.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
To my knowledge, an Anthology is 8.

2019 - Man of Medan, 2020 - Little Hope, 2021 - House of Ashes, 2022 - The Devil In Me.

2023 - 2027 - these 5 games, make it 9.

What is the 9 that ends in the ology and what is this term called? I have heard of a duology, trilogy, etc, but never found out what the proper term is called.
An anthology is a collection of individual stories (or works of art in general), which are usually self-contained and independent from one another. A collection of eight stories is an octalogy, and a collection of nine is an ennealogy.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Well as long as they keep going with

(spoilers for the whole series)

Actual supernatural stuff going on as with House of Ashes, and not more lol it was just spooky gas
then I'm in.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Meh. All the previous ones were pretty mediocre, I'd rather for them to focus on a bigger project with a new twist, maybe some actual gameplay. I think they could pull off a decent adventure game.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I really enjoyed House of Ashes and made me feel more confident about the franchise moving forward so I'm definitely in. First two weren't bad but couldn't believe they
pulled the same trick twice.

Presentation of Ashes was phenomenal if nothing else, the art and lighting in areas felt like a huge step up