shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I rarely make threads but I picked up Super Mario 3D All Stars for my Switch last week and started Galaxy yesterday for the first time. I never got around to getting a Wii so this is my first experience with it, just what the hell is this?

It's insanely good.

I've always liked PlayStation and Xbox outputs more personally speaking, but I still enjoy Zelda and Mario to different degrees. This is just sublime. Everything from the buttery smooth controls, to the solid 60 frames to the art direction, the fantastic musical score, the feedback both visually and audio wise when hitting enemies, gathering stars, or engaging in any action at all, the variety and unique design of every damn planet. It's magical.

I've played a lot of 3D Marios over the years. And I loved Odyssey...but this, this is hitting different.

Era, ya'll never told me how good this was. (<<<Edit: I guess it wasn't obvious, but this is a joke lol)

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite game of all time. Felt that back on the Wii, but hadn't revisited it for a decade and was worried going in that that would change. Can safely say after hitting the credits that it is still that good.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Just played and completed it for my first time last week. Fantastic game, I love how the game never rests on the same idea and just throws new stuff at you.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I love Mario 64, Mario Odyssey, and I think Mario Sunshine is a good game with its faults.

But Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 are just masterpieces through and through, and I don't think I'll ever think otherwise.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more of an Odyssey guy and I think Galaxy is held back by a slightly awkward camera but yeah, it's basically a perfect video game.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
Wait until you play Mario Galaxy 2.

Playing Super Mario Galaxy just made me sad there isn't a way to play Galaxy 2 on Switch. YET.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
One of the best in that generation. Pacing is perfecto.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I've only played a little bit because eventually I decided to play the games in the 3d collection sequentially, but yeah, seems awesome. And as a bonus, it looks great on Switch.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
There will be arguments about which 3D Mario may be best, but one is my favorite. Probably the only 3D Mario I collected everything in. I did like Galaxy 2 for making the collectathon and being able to go to differently galaxies a bit more streamlined, but the level design of Galaxy 1 is just way too special for me.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Truly amazing level design combined with the best Mario soundtrack creates Mario's best adventure imo.

The only other platformer (other than the sequel) that hits similar vibes would be Astro Bot on PSVR.

Oct 28, 2017
The only real issue is that it's almost completely devoid of challenge. Galaxy 2 and 3D World improved that somewhat.

Galaxy was the first 3D Mario that focused on tight linear level design and was all the better for it. Again something Galaxy 2 and 3D World improved upon even more. Galaxy was the first 3D Mario I really loved.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's fantastic! I played it years after release on Dolphin with low frame rate (sometimes under 20fps) and without Wiimote, but enjoyed it a lot and it became one of the best games of my life. Can't imagine the feeling of playing it on Wii in 2007.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
It's so good!

I haven't played it since 2008 or so, and I don't want to pay $60 to play it again, but it's such a terrific and imaginative game.

I really really really hope Nintendo will do an HD re-release of Galaxy 2, since I liked that one even more than Galaxy 1.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
The best Mario out. Galaxy is freaking fantastic on all levels. I'm surprised the great Shinobi hasn't played this yet though.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Era, ya'll never told me how good this was.

But Era did.
www.resetera.com

Resetera's 101 Essential Platformers: Top 101 Posted, Honorable Mentions Posted

Welcome to the inaugural Essential Platformers thread on Era! Following in the footsteps of kswiston's 101 Essential RPGs thread and Gradon's 51 Essential Horror Games thread, this thread attempts to highlight all of the greatest jump 'n' runners in the industry, as chosen collectively by you...
See, it's #4 on this list.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
2 is so much better in terms of gameplay, you're in for a treat if/when they port that over

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any word on Galaxy 2 coming out on Switch? So bummed it's not in 3D All-Stars.

Also, shinobi602, are you playing with the JoyCons or the Pro Controller?

SpookyTango

Mar 1, 2020
It may be too good.

I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't have the talent, but they'll be hard pressed to make another 3D Mario that hits as many marks as well as those Galaxy games do.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
Galaxy 1 and 2 are absolutely magical games. Creative and unique atmosphere to them.

In my eyes, only Yoshi's Island is better

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the game despite some minor quibbles. Easy 10/10 though. Odyssey gave me some feels but I wasn't ready for the ones I'd get with the Observatory theme and library story. Beautiful capstone on a great playing game.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
But Era did.
www.resetera.com

Resetera's 101 Essential Platformers: Top 101 Posted, Honorable Mentions Posted

Welcome to the inaugural Essential Platformers thread on Era! Following in the footsteps of kswiston's 101 Essential RPGs thread and Gradon's 51 Essential Horror Games thread, this thread attempts to highlight all of the greatest jump 'n' runners in the industry, as chosen collectively by you...
See, it's #4 on this list.

Kinda offtopic, but I still dont get why 64 is THAT beloved. Same for Mario Bros 3.

Like they are good, but they aren't Galaxy good.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
We did.

And it kind of makes it more damn annoying that I still don't have my damn Galaxy 2 Port

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
When Nintendo is on their A game, few studios if any are on their level. That much I will never deny. Absolute masters of their craft when they have an inspired vision for a game.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy feels like a playable Pixar movie to me. Not so much visually (though for a Wii game it looks phenomenal) but a combination of the music, level and character design, story, and everything else just makes it feel... I dunno, special I guess.