massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Background:
Election of Senate in Thailand is weird. You have quota seats from different disciplines of professions. People can just apply, then they will vote among themselves over who will be the Senator (artifact of Junta trying to cling to power)

Well, the first finisher is the owner of beauty clinics who is very young, kinda attractive, and boasting PhD from the United States. Though people are confused as no one ever heard of California University.

Social media became very suspicious after she showed off her less than stellar English in an interview.

View: https://youtu.be/F3fn0RCLI4s?si=QLHhZbUb6qaxcM8J

Then her certificate seemed fishy. With a small "Foreign Credential Evaluation" and a shit ton of texts.
w1200

Thai community in LA visit the location of the University and it's a run down building with dental office.
jOwNOT8aQVxQCkWYWvhM.webp

All this seems to point to her buying a PhD from a diploma mill. But she steadfastly affirmed that it is a real university and she spent a lot of money (USD2,000) to earn it, and that her degree was certified by US Department of Education and Thai authority.

At this point anyone realize it is a joke. But now she hired a high profile attorney and threatened to sue people for defamation. And the attorney dares people to sue her if they can prove it's fake.

The Office of the Civil Service Commission which is in charge of validating diploma from foreign countries for civil servants hiring has to come in and said, "yup, fake degree."

And now California University website also proudly claimed their degrees are accepted as real by Thai Parliament.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/politics/2829177/ocsc-denies-endorsing-candidates-degree

So...this thing has exploded and U of California alumni in Thailand are also taking action because they didn't spend 10 years working on PhD for this buffoonery. Also someone just filled complaint to to the election commission.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DDS, which is listed, would be a doctor of dental science. It's also not something that an institution focused on "dental assisting" would offer.
A doctor of political science would be a DPS, which is not what is listed and obviously not something that the "University" would be able to offer.

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, California University. Literally the only college in the entire state, so they didn't need another name. 🙄

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Lol best part is that US universities never call themselves that. It's always University of [State] or [State] State University or University of blah blah blah..

I also like how the document itself contradicts the name of the university: calling it California University in the big print but California State University in the small print (the later of which is a real university but obviously not the one who produced this fake diploma)

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol best part is that US universities never call themselves that. It's always University of [State] or [State] State University or University of blah blah blah..

I also like how the document itself contradicts the name of the university: calling it California University in the big print but California State University in the small print (the later of which is a real university but obviously not the one who produced this fake diploma)
Indiana University, WVU and Ohio University are exceptions, but for the most part you're right.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like there are multiple California Universities, which as far as I can tell are all scams.

The FCE one, which I think is what she used, which basically is a scam that tries to "verify" prior education at other institutions and bestow a degree based on that alone.
Then there is another one that is called California University FCE which claims the other is fake (they both make the same claims against one another):
www.californiauniversity.edu.pe

Warning Legal Notice! | Evaluation & Assessment Institution in California

California University FCE is a dedicated evaluation and assessment institution located in Irvine, California. For inquiries, please visit our website today!
and
This one: https://www.ca-uc.org/accreditation-license/ which is unaccredited and has a range of programs, but not what she claims to have.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the point of doing this when it's so easily verifiable.
Honestly most people don't check these things. If she went with a school that didn't sound so similar to a famous one and scaled back the fake credentials to something else eyebrow raising she would've gotten away with it. She got greedy.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i'm still trying to process this

Election of Senate in Thailand is weird. You have quota seats from difference discipline of professions. People can just apply, then they will vote among themselves over who will be the Senator (artifact of Junta trying to cling to power)

that sounds like some medieval ages guild shit from like dungeons & dragons. "The Honorable Cheese Meister is present, along with the honorable beauty artisan and massage therapist"

OP
OP
massoluk

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand

Election of Senate in Thailand is weird. You have quota seats from difference discipline of professions. People can just apply, then they will vote among themselves over who will be the Senator (artifact of Junta trying to cling to power)

that sounds like some medieval ages guild shit from like dungeons & dragons. "The Honorable Cheese Meister is present, along with the honorable beauty artisan and massage therapist"
Believe it or not, this is the compromise, lmao, a good portion is appointed directly by the military

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's worth noting that defamation lawsuits in Thailand can be successful even if you're telling the truth.

The government set up after the most recent military coup had a military-appointed senate to serve as a check on the elected lower house of parliament. This was supposed to be the better option for replacing that. But as you can see, it's... not ideal. Also, despite supposedly being a nonpolitical process, the majority of the newly elected senators are apparently affiliated with one particular party.

PotionPanacea

May 24, 2024
lol she got away with this for a bit, but i literally would have caught her before she started working for a mere $8.95 and 5 minutes of my time lmao

OP
OP
massoluk

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Well, after a lot of netizen investigation, it seems like a disgraced professor of a famous university in Thailand (dismissed by university for plagiarism charges, sued the university and won, but now in appeal) may have been running diploma business.

A couple years ago, a minister was also in the spotlight for parading diploma from this 'university'. He shut up about this after he was scrutinized (also he was a convicted heroin trafficker. https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-cabinets-convicted-heroin-trafficker-also-bought-his-phd/

The minister now implied he was bamboozled by the professor. Theory is going around that this professor took money from gullible people, running the program claiming he could get them a real degree, with him "helping" them as peer reviewer and in submitting research to academic journals (mostly predatory papers) that have listing in Scopus. Then used that somehow to get California University to give this fake diploma

People ran the paper submitted by the new Senator against one submitted by the professor, and they are just way too similar phrases with replacement here and there.
www.isranews.org

ส่องบทความวิชาการ 'ดร.สุขุมพงศ์-สว.เกศกมล' อาจารย์-ลูกศิษย์ เหมือน/แตกต่างกันหรือไม่?

จากการตรวจสอบเบื้องต้น เกี่ยวกับเนื้อหาบทความวิชาการ ของ ดร.สุขุมพงศ์ ชาญนุวงศ์ และ พญ.เกศกมล เปลี่ยนสมัย ยังพบข้อสังเกตด้วยว่า มีการใช้รูปประโยค และถ้อยคำที่แตกต่าง ในลักษณะการขยายความ ซึ่งทำให้เนื้อหาบทความของ พญ.เกศกมล เปลี่ยนสมัย ยาวกว่า บทความของ ดร.สุขุมพงศ์ ชาญนุวงศ์

Last edited:

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA

Emory University in Atlanta

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think the cherry on top is that sorta...Californian schoolgirl look she has with with the blazer, bright hair colour, and beach waves. 😅

ketkamol-768x432.png