Jun 1, 2018
Got a CX65 from LG. Used to have a really cheap philips tv with bad image quality. its insane how good the image now looks. but im confused about new technlogies it has like LG AI and Filmmaker mode etc.

Whats the best settings for watching netflix and gaming? Should I activate LG AI?

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I'm curious to the responses myself. This is the tv I'm planning on getting. Hopefully before the new consoles come out.

h3ro

Oct 28, 2017
Easiest thing to do outside of hiring a calibrator to come set it up is to go to RTINGS and use their settings and adjust to your liking.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Have you checked this OP?

www.rtings.com

LG CX OLED Calibration Settings

We used the following calibration settings to review the LG 55" CX (OLED55CX), and we expect them to be valid for the 48" model (OLED48CX), 65" model (OLED65CX), and the 77" model (OLED77CX).

I'm getting mine in 3 days, same CX

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Two basic things for games:

1. Every input has different save slots of picture settings.

2. Make sure Motion Smoothing is OFF. (Tru Motion, anything like that)

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
getting the 48 inch in a couple weeks and terrified of the calibration and input settings myself

It's only dropped from 1600-1500 so not like I'll get a better deal anytime soon for october

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
You need to use the Game mode on your console input or otherwise you will have to deal with almost ten times the input lag (13ms vs 97ms). This will disable all the fancy post processing anyway, so you will end with the raw image.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Literally just use Filmmaker mode for anything other than gaming.

For games: Set it to game mode and copy all of the settings from filmmaker mode minus the extra processing. you may just need to adjust gamma to 2.2 for games

also adjust your backlight to your preference

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Easiest thing to do outside of hiring a calibrator to come set it up is to go to RTINGS and use their settings and adjust to your liking.

This, but do not copy the actual Color calibration settings. Those are specific to each set and should only be used when you calibrate with proper tools. Stick to the other general settings and processing options.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I want one. But I have a 2017 model. I can't just buy a new tv when I have a good one working perfectly fine for years to come 😭

Played around with settings and eyeballed it "looking good", but never properly calibrated it. People here might faint seeing it. Or I did it almost right. No idea.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought this recently and while I have the picture settings dialed in now, I'm absolutely pestered by burn in anxiety. Something that's really taken me off guard... it's quite irrational too, because I have a warranty that covers burn in. Yet every time I play a game with a HUD I'm uncomfortable/ uneasy about it. I almost want to get a different set, but this one is otherwise really great. Idk, really unexpected to fret like this.

ehhsobee

Banned
Nov 11, 2019
United Kingdom
Honestly, you should just tweak it to your liking. I've found that I'm never happy with how it looks when I follow the settings on RTings. If you calibrate it perfectly, you'll likely end up with a really dim picture which isn't great in my opinion. No two displays are the same.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I want the LG CX, but am worried about burn in and the cost. Have looked at the x900 as well. I was going to wait a few weeks after the ps5 launches for black Friday. But two weeks without experiencing the 4k could be tough.

Any suggestions/opinions?

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
They are kind of plug and play with the C9/CX game modes. You don't really need to change anything. For everyday TV I think ISF Bright/Dark depending on room with rtings settings will be good enough. You won't get your money's worth from a professional calibration.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I want the LG CX, but am worried about burn in and the cost. Have looked at the x900 as well. I was going to wait a few weeks after the ps5 launches for black Friday. But two weeks without experiencing the 4k could be tough.

Yeh same..

I want a tv like my current, that is still perfect to this day 8 years later. I should want to get a new tv because I want to, not because I have to (burn-in)

But it's the best thing on the market... And cheaper than closest competition (Samsung/ Sony)

Right now in Netherlands 55CX for €1400

D23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If i am spending $2000 on a tv I shouldn't be worry about any oled burn in issue.. thats why im so hesitant on pulling a trigger on oledtv... hmm

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Yeh same..

I want a tv like my current, that is still perfect to this day 8 years later. I should want to get a new tv because I want to, not because I have to (burn-in)

But it's the best thing on the market... And cheaper than closest competition (Samsung/ Sony)

Right now in Netherlands 55CX for €1400

You can get one now for 1300 at Kijkshop and Kamera Express (iirc).

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
If i am spending $2000 on a tv I shouldn't be worry about any oled burn in issue.. thats why im so hesitant on pulling a trigger on oledtv... hmm
I've been gaming on an OLED for 5 years or longer and don't have any burn in at all. Not sure how people get burn in. Leaving a game paused for hours?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I have a C8 but I just used the Rtings recommended settings. I'm pretty sure I turned all of the extra 'features' off, I don't think my model has LG AI but most of that stuff is nonsense.

You really can't go wrong with the presets also if you don't want to fiddle around with settings.

SubTXT

Jul 24, 2020
I just bought this recently and while I have the picture settings dialed in now, I'm absolutely pestered by burn in anxiety. Something that's really taken me off guard... it's quite irrational too, because I have a warranty that covers burn in. Yet every time I play a game with a HUD I'm uncomfortable/ uneasy about it. I almost want to get a different set, but this one is otherwise really great. Idk, really unexpected to fret like this.

I've had mine for 3 years now with no issue. Also, there's a mode you can run to help prevent it. It's called Pixel Refresher in the picture options. I also, just saw this bit I hadn't heard about called Logo Luminance Adjustment for static things. I haven't tried it, but passing on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YybhMxmK0WQ

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Start with Rtings and then adjust from there. The settings on Rtings were so dark that I couldn't even make out what was happening in some scenes, so I think I ended up adjusting the gamma? I don't recall. I messed around with the settings for an afternoon until I got it right.

SubTXT

Jul 24, 2020
Honestly, you should just tweak it to your liking. I've found that I'm never happy with how it looks when I follow the settings on RTings. If you calibrate it perfectly, you'll likely end up with a really dim picture which isn't great in my opinion. No two displays are the same.

agreed. I just eyeball'd it instead.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The CX has good accuracy out of the box, you don't need to do much. The RTINGs settings are a good starting point, just don't use their white balance settings as those are unique per panel. But like I said, CX is accurate enough that most color inaccuracies are < dE 3 which means imperceptible.

You might be tempted to use dynamic modes or other dynamic contrast boosting etc for that pop, but it's at the cost of accuracy. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's your money spent. :)

Enjoy the tv

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Then don't worry about it? I don't and I get to experience god tier TV.

Burn-In has become quite the boogeyman over the years lol
Yeah, I don't get it. Never had any burn in whatsoever and I've been gaming on an OLED for years. I just googled it to try to find examples and couldn't find much. Seems to be mostly a myth, or at least with LG sets.

Dr. Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

burn in ain't a problem, I had a B7A and a C9 and never suffered burn in. I play games and watch tv. Just do a pixel refresh every once in a while and turn off the TV when you're not using it, like a car.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget OP, every input is a calibration AND every picture mode needs to be calibrated even on the same input.

Game Non HDR, game HDR
Built in Apps- HDR, Dolby Vision, Non HDR
repeat for all inputs.

Make sure you get the Black levels correct for every case above too, I missed the Game Non HDR black level and was crushing blacks in that particular mode only but didn't catch it for months.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Yeah, I don't get it. Never had any burn in whatsoever and I've been gaming on an OLED for years. I just googled it to try to find examples and couldn't find much. Seems to be mostly a myth, or at least with LG sets.

Yeah and I put like 3400 hours on my last one and I had like 700 hours in just between two games with UIs.

That aquarium screensaver out here saving lives

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017

I guess I have a mythical tv then

My post on this forum

It did not happen through games though, but I have netflix logo and some other elements with me forever. The tv is not even 3 years old and those were not static images displayed for hundreds of hours. Short time image retention was always also pretty noticeable on my tv, so maybe I just had a bad luck with my panel.

Also I can believe that newer models are better with this, but burn ins are a problem with oled definitely. I found a lot of others with similar problems in my country and probably there's not that many owners here because of the price.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
ISF for TV. Cinema Mode/Filmaker if CX for HDR movies. Those two you don't need to touch anything (other than disable Dynamic Tone Mapping). Cinema for Dolby Vision unless you need more brightness, if so Cinema Home, no need to touch anything too.

Game Mode for games, with Rtings settings (because Game Mode in LG settings are too cool temp. oriented, unless it was changed on CX).

burn in ain't a problem, I had a B7A and a C9 and never suffered burn in. I play games and watch tv. Just do a pixel refresh every once in a while and turn off the TV when you're not using it, like a car.

I don't recommend doing a manual pixel refresh unless you have a visible problem in your TV, you should only rely on the automatic one.

Last edited:

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Use OOTB settings. Adjust for motion, Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color Temp to Warm 2, and Color Space to Auto. Basically only adjust the settings you can determine by eye. Literally this morning in two different threads I made a post specifically about this showing why you are better off using OOTB settings. Of course you can do what you like and if you like the picture/results that is great. Ultimately you're the one that needs to be satisfied.

If you are interested in the post it is located here in the TV display tech thread

www.resetera.com

TV Displays and Tech Thread |OT2| There Is No Perfect TV ™ (Read The OP) Tech - OT

I finally got enough time on my display and began calibrating my GX. Prior to that I wanted to do a small test. I have a few different ones lined up for various things but this is just a quick one to show users the difference in accuracy with OOTB settings, using copied settings, and calibrated...

Mar 5, 2020
Poland
Got a CX65 from LG. Used to have a really cheap philips tv with bad image quality. its insane how good the image now looks. but im confused about new technlogies it has like LG AI and Filmmaker mode etc.

Whats the best settings for watching netflix and gaming? Should I activate LG AI?
LG OLED X series have Instant Game Response aka Auto Low Latency Mode aka Automatic Game Mode. If you own Xbox, every time you launch a game, the TV will set Game Mode for you, and if you switch back to any other non-gaming app, it'll revert you to non-gaming mode.

Another thing, I would use Automatic Filmmaker Mode all the time, but please do check if there is any interpolation added in there. I no longer own an X series OLED but I was reviewing a GX model this year. As far as AI is concerned, it gives you Dolby Vision IQ (it is not named as such in menus) which boosts image brightness adaptively which is nice if you watch the TV in broad daylight, but in a dark room, you'll lose the cinematic qualities..
I'd also suggest following RTINGS religiously. By the way LG OLEDs need very little actual calibration and those presets of theirs are extremely high quality. Just pay attention to smoothing options, black levels and activate Ultra HD Deep Color. You should be fine as long as you stick to RTINGS.

I would've helped you more but currently I'm testing yet another TV in my living room and my OLED is at my daughter's room and she's now sleeping. It's hard to be super precise when talking on top of your head.

OP
OP
Jun 1, 2018
thank you all for the responses appreciate it.

does anybody know if the LG has this smoothing image setting that makes it look like a reality tv show. want to turn that off

OP
OP
Jun 1, 2018
LG OLED X series have Instant Game Response aka Auto Low Latency Mode aka Automatic Game Mode. If you own Xbox, every time you launch a game, the TV will set Game Mode for you, and if you switch back to any other non-gaming app, it'll revert you to non-gaming mode.

Another thing, I would use Automatic Filmmaker Mode all the time, but please do check if there is any interpolation added in there. I no longer own an X series OLED but I was reviewing a GX model this year. As far as AI is concerned, it gives you Dolby Vision IQ (it is not named as such in menus) which boosts image brightness adaptively which is nice if you watch the TV in broad daylight, but in a dark room, you'll lose the cinematic qualities..
I'd also suggest following RTINGS religiously. By the way LG OLEDs need very little actual calibration and those presets of theirs are extremely high quality. Just pay attention to smoothing options, black levels and activate Ultra HD Deep Color. You should be fine as long as you stick to RTINGS.

I would've helped you more but currently I'm testing yet another TV in my living room and my OLED is at my daughter's room and she's now sleeping. It's hard to be super precise when talking on top of your head.
wow thank you! will do that

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
thank you all for the responses appreciate it.

does anybody know if the LG has this smoothing image setting that makes it look like a reality tv show. want to turn that off
I think you may mean when a movie is playing at 60hz when it should be 24hz. Good tvs should be able to turn that off. But I don't know about the LG as I don't have one yet!