Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

View: https://x.com/PlayStation/status/1833233923108966849?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1833233923108966849%7Ctwgr%5Ed984b7b1138506855c30d9dee55753f085c635d9%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pushsquare.com%2Fnews%2F2024%2F09%2F25-years-ago-square-released-the-best-final-fantasy-game

GXDprdfWwAATTZE

I had only played the ps1 demo back in the day. Only recently having played a bit of it via the remaster.
Still, the music had always stayed with me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFzbRTAyal8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5bRMje6V9Y

bestlookingguyhere.jpg

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best games in history.

Wish they would re-release it with slightly modified mechanics, though.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly think it got overshadowed big time by the other big release that came out on the same day, but this is the only one I could afford on said day. I bought it day 1, and I still love it to this day. I don't care about any of its criticisms. I just think it's a fun FF game, definitely not the best, but it's a good time, IMO.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
sometimes I dream of a FF8 remake with similiar mechanics to 7 Remake. Then I wake up and weep.
Beautiful game, amazing soundtrack. But the gameplay always felt like the weakest aspect by far.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
You're saying we played this when we were young? So if we keep playing FF8, we won't be able to remember a lot of things?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
This week I discovered the dev who shot down the Rinoa = Ultimecia theory has since retracted his statement on that:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8asSQorSng
I know it's not a theory everyone will love, since it turns the love story into something of a Shakesperian tragedy, but I've always loved it. Lends a bit more ooomph to Ultimecia's involvement in the plot, and fits right into the game's willingness to leave little plot revelations like that in the background for players to discover organically (Squall and Rinoa's parents for example, and the love that their children complete for them), rather than feeling the need to bash players over the head with plot beats just to make sure they definitely understood what the writers were getting at.

But yeah, I'm so happy that I can embrace this theory as my head canon once more.
3cbd48d9af0f26c38cba03a85ac4ce22.png

Dunbar

Dec 9, 2017
Columbus, OH
Hard to describe the feeling when you peeled the label off that jewel case and saw all four discs inside. Couldn't imagine there was a game that took four discs to hold and you actually got to play it.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
My first FF, actually RPG of any kind (my girlfriend bought it for me with a PS1). I recall the combat system, turn based. I was like what is this then I realized oh it's actually like playing cards. Fun memories...

Edit: Yes also four discs! It felt very luxury item...

plow

Oct 28, 2017
sometimes I dream of a FF8 remake with similiar mechanics to 7 Remake. Then I wake up and weep.
Beautiful game, amazing soundtrack. But the gameplay always felt like the weakest aspect by far.

Honestly after replaying it on the Switch i think the Story is. I don't know what it is but i just can't get into it.

11redder

Oct 27, 2017
I purchased the PAL collector's edition on release (October 99). I always felt it took too long to be let off the leash compared to VII and just found the setting and story to be lacking in comparison.

Anyway, 60+ hours in, I was running out of memory card space, cheaped out and bought a large third party memory card, and transferred my FFVIII and Gran Turismo 2 saves to it.

A few days later, I booted the game up and there was no option to continue. Yup, in excess of 100 hours of progress across both games lost.

Good times.😭

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lovely game. One of my favorites of all time. Second best FF please don't come at me we VIII fans have it rough already lol.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I remember that day like it was yesterday. Didn't get it at release but damn.

Btw R=U is my headcanon and I don't care what Nojima says.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The worst PS1 era FF with the best OST. Although breaking the game by not leveling was fun on a replay.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Never really hit in the same way 7 did, but I appreciated it and completed / got a lot out of it.

Gorgeous, bold and kinda brave for some of the swings it took - would have been easy for them to lean into 7 more heavily since that was a big success for them.

Would welcome a remake, smaller scale that the 7 Remake but deserves a fresh coat of paint.

Sorry IX fans, but that didn't really land for me at all.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
It's my first FF ever and remains my favourite. I know it's really flawed, but man I loved almost everything about this game

Last edited:

Alvaro

Feb 13, 2019
I dislike the Junction system so much.

Triple Triad is the only enjoyable thing about this game.

Oct 27, 2017
Loved FFVII & FFIX but never liked this one. Didn't care for the story, didn't like the characters at all and I disliked the gameplay with its emphasis on GFs and drawing spells.

I was tempted to revisit it a while ago but then I watched an analysis on YouTube and it just reminded me of all the things I hated and I can't be bothered giving the time to see if I might like it when I'm 99% sure I won't.

Oct 31, 2017
How good are the mods nowadays?

Fans did what SE should have done (and more) with VII and IX so I'm wondering...

I have the same question for Chrono Cross btw!

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
To me, FFVIII has the best soundtrack in video game history. There is no better chill spot song than Balamb Garden. I literally have dreamt about being in Balamb Garden and it's a tragedy that it's not real.

The romance is beautiful. I'm glad to see all my R=U peeps in here. We are a family. <3

Never did like the Junctioning system and never will. Story was GREAT until the last third. That last half needed more cooking for sure.

Game will be a treasure for me forever.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I replayed this one a few years ago with that unshakable fear that maybe it wasn't as good as I remembered, but it was even better! Definitely Square had some crazy magic during that time.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
SAME.

My first Final Fantasy, and it will always have a special place in my heart. Great cast and setting. Top 3 of the series for me. Please give me a remake.

Hey same!! Haha it was my first FF. I feel like this game has so many amazing and memorable set pieces. The invasion of Balamb Garden is still one of the best moments in FF history. Will always love this game and I don't think it'll ever leave my top 5.

images

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
Not a title I have fond memories of. The only mainline Final Fantasy games I hate more than FF8 are Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XIII.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
To me, FFVIII has the best soundtrack in video game history. There is no better chill spot song than Balamb Garden. I literally have dreamt about being in Balamb Garden and it's a tragedy that it's not real.

The romance is beautiful. I'm glad to see all my R=U peeps in here. We are a family. <3

Never did like the Junctioning system and never will. Story was GREAT until the last third. That last half needed more cooking for sure.

Game will be a treasure for me forever.
Slightly disagree on a few of these but overall resonate with this. That said, it's FFVIII Day so I will show nothing but love on a day of celebration haha

vic viper

Dec 27, 2017
Easily one of the dumbest games of all time both narratively and mechanically, and for that, I love it dearly.