Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Why did you make the decision to set this game entirely in the city of Midgar?

Kitase-san:
When we first started the Remake project we had to make a decision on what elements from the original we absolutely had to keep in order for it to still be considered FINAL FANTASY VII.

In other words, what were the essential parts of the original, what were the parts that we knew fans absolutely had to see and therefore we needed to retain?

We quickly decided that there were so many essential parts that fans would be upset if we had to cut out anything from the original.

At the beginning of the project we had two directions we could go. The first was to make the project with the highest possible level of graphics, visual quality and detail, and not remove anything that fans wanted to see. Instead, it would expand upon the original game, to make it something even more immersive.

The other option was to include the entire scope of the original game in a single release. But in order to make that work as a modern game, we wouldn't be able to go for the highest visual quality and we'd also have to cut back on areas and scenes from the original.

Essentially, to make a single release viable the resulting game would have ended up being a digest of the original story, and we didn't think that fans would be pleased with that.

Ultimately, we decided the best option for the project was to go for the highest level possible, with an expanded story. Having more than one game in the project allowed us to focus on keeping everything people loved from the original, but go into greater detail and more story depth than before.

Midgar is iconic to FINAL FANTASY VII, so we had to start the game here, and follow the story up to the main party's escape from the city.

Some fans have expressed disappointment that Red XIII is not a playable character. Can you specify the role of Red XIII in the game?

Hamaguchi-san:
I answered a question about Red XIII while we were going around Europe talking to media, but there was a bigger response from fans than I had expected! I got a renewed sense of how much love there is out there for the characters in FINAL FANTASY VII.

To explain more about why we did not make Red XIII a playable character in this game, we felt that because he only joins the team during the latter stages, having him as a playable ally with full character growth potential would not be a satisfying experience for the player. So we decided to have him join for now, as a guest character instead.

However, the development team feel the same way that the fans do when it comes to seeing Red XIII as an important character, and we designed his gameplay in a special way to offset him not being playable in battle.

I won't reveal exactly what that entails, because I want people to enjoy it when they actually play the game, but I will say that FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE has added a new upper floor to the Shinra Building to present a climax that was not in the original.

The key to navigating this floor lies in using Red XIII's unique physical abilities to overcome environmental obstacles. Letting the player experience his heroics in this way is something that I'm confident will please the fans.

I hope everyone enjoys seeing Red XIII in action in the build-up to the climax of the story.

Fans expect a lot from FINAL FANTASY, such as secrets or hidden bosses. Is this the case in FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE?

Hamaguchi-san:
We can't say exactly how much there is - we want to keep some surprises for players!

I will say, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE has been designed as if it were a standalone game, and comparable in size to other mainline FINAL FANTASY games.

The content you mentioned from other FINAL FANTASY games… I don't want to say precisely what's in FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, but if you're expecting endgame content, you won't be disappointed.

More on the Square Enix blog

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This touches on a few things I'd been pondering about, specifically:

* The way Midgar is structured in the original game doesn't really lend itself to a postgame in the same environment, but given they're talking about what is expected of a full standalone FF game, it'd kind of have to have one. It looks here like they do have a plan for that, although they're still holding their cards to their chest as to what that plan actually is.

* Midgar doesn't have a great climax. It's a great end of Act I, but there's not a great deal truly resolved at that point. I'm very curious about this extra content in the Shinra building and hope that that's going to go some way towards building a satisfying narrative climax for *this* game while still leaving space for the inevitable "To Be Continued..."

(One other thing I was wondering about which *isn't* touched on here - and probably won't really be established until we're properly talking about Chapter 2 - is whether there's going to be some savegame continuity or character persistence between chapters; presumably there are *rewards* for whatever postgame content exists, and it'd be nice to be able to carry those rewards forwards on your characters into the next section - but they can't afford to be gamebreaking in the way that say, Knights of the Round was in the original because the next chapter still needs to be playable in itself. And on top of that, once you've *started* the next chapter, you'd have to assume that that means there's no going back to the previous postgame content...)

Last edited:

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The perfect post game in this game is an open highway loop where you can ride to different sectors with the gameplay. But Shinra has lockeddown the city. Strong troops and magitech and blockade the highway or drop down on you FFXV style with choppers though. You explore back and forth and can go into certain factories or warehouses, and find secret enemies / labs.

If you go back into Shinra HQ it is on high lock down mode. With super hard enemies and new secret passages.

Heck, go a step further, be able to ride the bike into the desert and chocobo farm outside of the city. Back and forth and fighting in real time.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
The content you mentioned from other FINAL FANTASY games… I don't want to say precisely what's in FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, but if you're expecting endgame content, you won't be disappointed.

Wants: Kadaj secret boss.

Gets: The return of
giphy.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

* The way Midgar is structured in the original game doesn't really lend itself to a postgame in the same environment, but given they're talking about what is expected of a full standalone FF game, it'd kind of have one. It looks here like they do have a plan for that, although they're still holding their cards to their chest as to what that plan actually is.

* Midgar doesn't have a great climax. It's a great end of Act I, but there's not a great deal truly resolved at that point. I'm very curious about this extra content in the Shinra building and hope that that's going to go some way towards building a satisfying narrative climax for *this* game while still leaving space for the inevitable "To Be Continued..."

Honestly, Midgar's end is less "end of Act I" and more "roll opening credits, the real game starts now". It's narratively structured like a prologue more than a full act of the story. It sets up the characters and core conflict, introduces the primary antagonists and then ends right after giving you a tease of Sephiroth and introducing Rufus.

The perfect post game in this game is an open highway loop where you can ride to different sectors with the gameplay. But Shinra has lockeddown the city. Strong troops and magitech and blockade the highway or drop down on you FFXV style with choppers though. You explore back and forth and can go into certain factories or warehouses, and find secret enemies / labs.

If you go back into Shinra HQ it is on high lock down mode. With super hard enemies and new secret passages.

Heck, go a step further, be able to ride the bike into the desert and chocobo farm outside of the city. Back and forth and fighting in real time.

I really wouldn't expect anything like this. It'll probably be revisits of old areas through VR or something - they're not gonna give you a shitload of entirely new things to do and places to go after the end of the story.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
So pleased to have my expectation basically confirmed, that Midgar will have some endgame content to enjoy (secrets, bosses, etc.). As a few posters above mentioned, there are plenty of creative ways to expand upon what was in the original game -- new sectors, warehouses, tunnels, passageways, side-stories, etc. Still baffles me that some people think "it was only 4 or 5h in the original, how can that be enough for a whole game?" Like, use your imagination a little.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Midgar's end is less "end of Act I" and more "roll opening credits, the real game starts now". It's narratively structured like a prologue more than a full act of the story. It sets up the
characters and core conflict, introduces the primary antagonists and then ends right after giving you a tease of Sephiroth and introducing Rufus.

I thought Rufus wasn't properly introduced until the parade sequence? Or am I misremembering?

Anyhow, that's rather my point; it's going to need *something* a bit more robust to be a satisfying narrative for an individual release.

I really wouldn't expect anything like this. It'll probably be revisits of old areas through VR or something - they're not gonna give you a shitload of entirely new things to do and places to go after the end of the story.

That is possible... but that doesn't fit the bill of "What I expect from a full FF title"

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Red XIII is one of my favorite FF characters period and my favorite in FFVII. Finding out he's not playable is highly disappointing for me. So I hope it's not bs that Red fans are going to find his use in Remake still satisfying.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

* The way Midgar is structured in the original game doesn't really lend itself to a postgame in the same environment, but given they're talking about what is expected of a full standalone FF game, it'd kind of have one. It looks here like they do have a plan for that, although they're still holding their cards to their chest as to what that plan actually is.

Ya, I wonder how they are going to do this -

-All *endgame* content takes place before scaling the Shinra building (once you enter its BAM BAM BAM story beats and they party can't really escape in the current story structure). This could work but then the "final" location being the Shinra building would be HUGE relative to other end game locations.

-Right before whatever the final floor/final boss is, you have the option of leaving the Shinra building to do whatever you want. Would need to change up the story for this.

-Something happens right after the party escapes Shinra building that gives them the option of going back into Midgar or proceeding with some end game event/boss fight. They would have to add something to the story...

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
using Red's physical abilities to navigate the floor.......so maybe we get a stealth section controlling as Red, you just can't fully play as him?

Sucks though,

Red XIII is my favorite character period.......hes a fantastic character in design, history and more too. Just the right amount of comedy gold that potentially comes with him as well. I wonder if Cait Sith will sit on his head when he joins later on

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Rufus wasn't properly introduced until the parade sequence? Or am I misremembering?

Anyhow, that's rather my point; it's going to need *something* a bit more robust to be a satisfying narrative for an individual release.

You fight Rufus as a boss at the end of Shinra Tower. It's not a very epic fight because Rufus gets bored and bails very quickly, but that's his introduction to the player and the party. The parade is his introduction to the world at large.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Super happy to hear that Red XIII gets a moment to shine since he doesn't do much in the original story outside of Cosmo Canyon and such. Red XIII is a character I'd like to see more of and I hope that they do him justice.

I hope they do a real good job of establishing that he's a "kid" playing at being "mature" and fleshing that out, and also hoping we get to control him a bit.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017

* The way Midgar is structured in the original game doesn't really lend itself to a postgame in the same environment, but given they're talking about what is expected of a full standalone FF game, it'd kind of have to have one. It looks here like they do have a plan for that, although they're still holding their cards to their chest as to what that plan actually is.

(One other thing I was wondering about which *isn't* touched on here - and probably won't really be established until we're properly talking about Chapter 2 - is whether there's going to be some savegame continuity or character persistence between chapters; presumably there are *rewards* for whatever postgame content exists, and it'd be nice to be able to carry those rewards forwards on your characters into the next section - but they can't afford to be gamebreaking in the way that say, Knights of the Round was in the original because the next chapter still needs to be playable in itself. And on top of that, once you've *started* the next chapter, you'd have to assume that that means there's no going back to the previous postgame content...)

The progression between chapters is something that has me concerned as well. If this is the size of a mainline ff game, that means a good number of people will need to be lvl 50 or more at the end. Imagine being lvl 50 or more at the end of midgar in the original. How is that going to translate in ch 2? Will all of our items/ gear/ materia go away and we start fresh? Will lvls be normalized to reflect the bigger size? Maybe lvl 99 won't be the cap in this new game and in ch 2, the lvl cap will be raised?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
"In other words, what were the essential parts of the original, what were the parts that we knew fans absolutely had to see and therefore we needed to retain?

We quickly decided that there were so many essential parts that fans would be upset if we had to cut out anything from the original. "

Hopefully this means they still kill Aeris and don't do do any funny business, like a story about changing destiny and 'the watchmen of fate'. I've seen many fans who say because it's not the original game, they should surprise people which I think is a gimmick.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The progression between chapters is something that has me concerned as well. If this is the size of a mainline ff game, that means a good number of people will need to be lvl 50 or more at the end. Imagine being lvl 50 or more at the end of midgar in the original. How is that going to translate in ch 2? Will all of our items/ gear/ materia go away and we start fresh? Will lvls be normalized to reflect the bigger size? Maybe lvl 99 won't be the cap in this new game and in ch 2, the lvl cap will be raised?

If there is a direct data transfer, they'll probably scale everything down at the beginning of part 2. Level 90 becomes level 30, all your materia gets proportionally nerfed, etc.

Really they didn't think this through at all, though - if you're getting spells like Firaga and Fullcure in Part 1 there's nowhere for the game design to even go.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
If there is a direct data transfer, they'll probably scale everything down at the beginning of part 2. Level 90 becomes level 30, all your materia gets proportionally nerfed, etc.

Really they didn't think this through at all, though - if you're getting spells like Firaga and Fullcure in Part 1 there's nowhere for the game design to even go.
It makes me think everything is going to get a clean start at the beginning of chapter 2. Back to Lvl 1, only some base materia, no carried over inventory.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Episode 2
presumably begins in a flashback, so there's a decent reset point, episode 3 could begin with Wutai, some new plot where the damaged tiny bronco first lands and Yuffie steals the materia as usual, and episode 4 could begin with playing Tifa and your materia taken by Shinra.
That's all I've got.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe lvl 99 won't be the cap in this new game and in ch 2, the lvl cap will be raised?

I'm pretty sure Cloud was only level 28 or so in one of the recent trailers against a (presumably late game) boss. They can make the level cap go to however high it needs to be, it's an arbitrary number they can balance after all. Gear and materia on the other hand is a legitimate concern.

In Part 2 they could just do their own equivalent of "a wizard did it" and have Yuffie steal everything, and not show up again until the end.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if it'll just be superbosses in the new battle arena. Either way, as long as there's something to work towards in terms of leveling and grinding because there seems to be a lot to the systems so I'm hoping there is enough end game content to warrant maxing characters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2
presumably begins in a flashback, so there's a decent reset point, episode 3 could begin with Wutai, some new plot where the damaged tiny bronco first lands and Yuffie steals the materia as usual, and episode 4 could begin with playing Tifa and your materia taken by Shinra.
That's all I've got.

I think it would be pretty silly to force a Metroid Moment into every episode. For Part 2 starting in a flashback that makes sense (but then what happens after said flashback is over?), but every other episode having a convenient excuse for why all your shit is gone would be more frustrating than fun.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be pretty silly to force a Metroid Moment into every episode. For Part 2 starting in a flashback that makes sense (but then what happens after said flashback is over?), but every other episode having a convenient excuse for why all your shit is gone would be more frustrating than fun.
Funnily enough those parts are in the original where you get disengaged and may be close to where the splits are, if the levels being divided is balanced.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Honestly, Midgar's end is less "end of Act I" and more "roll opening credits, the real game starts now". It's narratively structured like a prologue more than a full act of the story. It sets up the characters and core conflict, introduces the primary antagonists and then ends right after giving you a tease of Sephiroth and introducing Rufus.

Assuming you could drive on the highway loop more than we have seen in the E3 trailer and TGS one, I do not think the bit about roaming around and visiting select parts of all 8 sectors with a locked down Midgar and stronger enemies is that crazy of an idea.

Maybe the desert and chocobo farm bit is a bit too much, but still. Technically speaking we see Cloud use the mythril sword in atrailer which was found in the cave near the chocobo farm right? What if by some surprise we find ourselves in that chocobo farm / cave area halfway through this game, and it was a surprise all along. (Kalm too?).

That would be wild. In the days of loading and things not needing to be a seamless open world . I think it is doable (though extremely unlikely of course).

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming you could drive on the highway loop more than we have seen in the E3 trailer and TGS one, I do not think the bit about roaming around and visiting select parts of all 8 sectors with a locked down Midgar and stronger enemies is that crazy of an idea.
Wasn't there an interview recently that confirmed you could drive between the sectors at your own volition?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Are these FFVII Remake spoilers, or FFVII spoilers?

More FF7 Remake hints than spoilers. If you dont wanna know anything I wouldn't read it as it hints at some additions to the game compared to the original.

On topic:

Wasn't there a cut fight or something regarding Red XIII? Like I think there were two other like him originally in that lab?

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Wasn't there an interview recently that confirmed you could drive between the sectors at your own volition?
Not sure if that was mentioned exactly, But i do recall a tweet sometime between October and January from their official twitter mentioning that you could visit the sectors by train or bike. To what extent?... I think the closest hint we have is the E3 and TGS trailer.

If you can freely go between them, it only makes the end game a bit sweeter when you have the new bike to show off. I am vaguely imagining what could have been an FFXV Insomnia city with a highway system like the Kingsglaive film where you could freely drive around with the car gameplay of the game. Except this time it is in FFVII, it can go back and forth, and is a motorcycle instead ( and train).

I do think it would be sick to freely walk inside and on top of a train (especially on top), while it rides around Midgar. I want to be on top of the train in real time as it goes around Shinra HQ and to see that huge building from different angles from on top of the train. I am not asking for a GTA midgar . But this would be so sick.

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if that was mentioned exactly, But i do recall a tweet sometime between October and January from their official twitter mentioning that you could visit the sectors by train or bike. To what extent?... I think the closest hint we have is the E3 and TGS trailer.

If you can freely go between them, it only makes the end game a bit sweeter when you have the new bike to show off. I am vaguely imagining what could have been an FFXV Insomnia city with a highway system like the Kingsglaive film where you could freely drive around with the car gameplay of the game. Except this time it is in FFVII, it can go back and forth, and is a motorcycle instead ( and train).

I do think it would be sick to freely walk inside and on top of a train (especially on top), while it rides around Midgar. I want to be on top of the train in real time as it goes around Shinra HQ and to see that huge building from different angles from on top of the train. I am not asking for a GTA midgar . But this would be so sick.
I went looking back through the blog and had a quick glance at the introduction video from last week and I can't see what I thought was mentioned. I must have gotten it confused with some other detail and misremembered. My apologies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I would just say, keep your expectations in check. That would be an UNBELIEVABLY LARGE amount of work and asset creation for what essentially stands as side content that won't be reusable in later episodes (outside of MAYBE the very last one). I do not see any timeline in which all eight Sectors are accessible to the player, even slices of them. You'll have access to little bits of any Sector you go to during the main story and maybe one entirely new bonus area for some side quests or something.

But all eight? Not gonna happen.

Oct 30, 2017
I would just say, keep your expectations in check. That would be an UNBELIEVABLY LARGE amount of work and asset creation for what essentially stands as side content that won't be reusable in later episodes (outside of MAYBE the very last one). I do not see any timeline in which all eight Sectors are accessible to the player, even slices of them. You'll have access to little bits of any Sector you go to during the main story and maybe one entirely new bonus area for some side quests or something.

But all eight? Not gonna happen.

Nomura said in the behind the scenes interview you won't be going everywhere, but there will be more areas that you can go to.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Until this actually releases I am back to thinking this is a fake game lol. April 10 seems longer as each day goes by with everything that's happening

WRT stuff about driving around Midgar we haven't seen anything like that in previews. Maybe there will be connecting tunnels or something to give a better sense of scale.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Sounds great. I hope they deliver. I assume RedXIII will be playable in future parts and is only a guest character in Act I because of how late he joins the party.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
a few theories that i have, but i feel that the postgame will be some sort of battle simulator bosses (i swear Crisis Core had this, i think Minerva was a super boss?). maybe you can revisit locations and there are some sidequests you need to do to unlock more bosses in that type of mode?

i also think the climax will be a redesigned highway fight. I think a transformers movie might have had that type of thing, but basically you drive your bike (and can swap to the car) avoiding the giant robot chasing you with lots of cool explosions happening, fighting ontop of trucks and all sorts of "epic" fighting. Maybe a Matrix 2 type of example here too?

i wonder how they will split up the characters though. part 1 has 4 characters. we have 5 remaining characters. do they add in 2 and then 3 or something else? i could see them adding in red 13, cait sith and Cid for a "part 2" game (which may end in Mount Nibel?) and then in part 3, they not only add in Yuffie and Vincent, but new characters too. or the ability to add a mog to your party that can transform into monsters or something? I'm not sure, but i think it'd be ideal to have around the same amount of extra characters per part. Of course that can mean its two parts and we just get 5 added.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
a few theories that i have, but i feel that the postgame will be some sort of battle simulator bosses (i swear Crisis Core had this, i think Minerva was a super boss?). maybe you can revisit locations and there are some sidequests you need to do to unlock more bosses in that type of mode?

i also think the climax will be a redesigned highway fight. I think a transformers movie might have had that type of thing, but basically you drive your bike (and can swap to the car) avoiding the giant robot chasing you with lots of cool explosions happening, fighting ontop of trucks and all sorts of "epic" fighting. Maybe a Matrix 2 type of example here too?

i wonder how they will split up the characters though. part 1 has 4 characters. we have 5 remaining characters. do they add in 2 and then 3 or something else? i could see them adding in red 13, cait sith and Cid for a "part 2" game (which may end in Mount Nibel?) and then in part 3, they not only add in Yuffie and Vincent, but new characters too. or the ability to add a mog to your party that can transform into monsters or something? I'm not sure, but i think it'd be ideal to have around the same amount of extra characters per part. Of course that can mean its two parts and we just get 5 added.
Crisis Core had "missions" at Save Points that could be utilized here I guess.

The Missions were meant to be like side expeditions though. Crisis Core did indeed have super bosses, it's just interesting to see if they try to design it into the game or make it completely optional like an arena or simulation deal, like you said.

It could be re-fighting old bosses a la DMC or unlocking second modes of chapters you've cleared too. I'm interested in seeing how they handle it.

Also regarding the climax
Pretty sure Seph/Jenova will be at the end of the bridge now if I recall correctly from the Datamine. Could be misremembering though.

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say I know I should just enjoy the game finally coming which I will. But It's go me thinking about (PART 2) Are they gonna flesh it out like PART 1 or start cutting stuff.

I mean, the biggest thing for me is WILL THEY DO A WORLD MAP or not... With the detail it should have. The only way I can think they can do it is ala XenoBlade Chronicles X or something like FF15's world. The scale will have to be insane otherwise the Highwind wont work.
Also if they do flesh it out wouldn't their be enough stuff left from disc 1 to end PART 2 where

Spoiler from OG game just in case lol
Aeris dies
<-- I also feel like it wouldn't be a good part to end on anyway but to be in the 40-50% range of PART 2 over all. Which would leave a good part of disc 2 of the OG game, for PART 2.

But if they do the level of fleshing out for part 2 as they did for this game, just how many (PARTS) will there be... 4 or even 5 parts...at 2-4 years for each part. if soo we are gonna be on PS6 gen when the final part comes out.

then you gonna think will they keep the graphics the same as this game of will they be inconsistent, or will they take advantage of each console they are released on.

I really hope they just get it DONE and release it in 3 parts by 2025!?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
So pleased to have my expectation basically confirmed, that Midgar will have some endgame content to enjoy (secrets, bosses, etc.). As a few posters above mentioned, there are plenty of creative ways to expand upon what was in the original game -- new sectors, warehouses, tunnels, passageways, side-stories, etc. Still baffles me that some people think "it was only 4 or 5h in the original, how can that be enough for a whole game?" Like, use your imagination a little.
Yeah the original game had narrow slices of Midgar. If this game has all sectors as open and explorable it will be a huge world with tons of opportunity for new mainline content plus sidequests.

Pretty sure the leaked chapter list had several all new areas and scenarios that were'nt in the original game

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Crisis Core had "missions" at Save Points that could be utilized here I guess.

The Missions were meant to be like side expeditions though. Crisis Core did indeed have super bosses, it's just interesting to see if they try to design it into the game or make it completely optional like an arena or simulation deal, like you said.

It could be re-fighting old bosses a la DMC or unlocking second modes of chapters you've cleared too. I'm interested in seeing how they handle it.

Also regarding the climax
Pretty sure Seph/Jenova will be at the end of the bridge now if I recall correctly from the Datamine. Could be misremembering though.
i think the side expeditions are the actual side quests now (we've seen them in images), so maybe we will have a seperate combat sim? replaying old bosses makes sense. a system sorta like FF10 would be great too, where you "collect" old enemies to fight against them and unlock stuff. Some sort of DeepGround nonsense as a boss could be cool though....maybe

and i dunno what to think if thats the boss at the bridge. Could work, but i dunno. i looked up a bit on the datamine and it shows
motor ball is still on the freeway. it does show sephiroth too, it could potentially mean he appears but uses powers to make motor ball more monsterous

i hope we just see sephiroth as "teases" for cloud though. best to not rush a direct confrontation, more a "chase" where the party is still behind him until (i think) finally they confront him at the temple