ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.famitsu.com

スクエニ“HD-2D”リメイクをもっと活かそうと、スーパーファミコン時代のタイトルをリストアップ。その中で『ライブアライブ』が選ばれたことを明かす | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

スクウェア・エニックスのYouTubeチャンネルにて配信された“SQEX浅野チーム開発ラジオ 第0回”にて、スクウェア・エニックスの松田社長から「“HD-2D”のリメイクをもっと活かそう」という意向があったことが明かされた。

translations via DeepL, more in the source

Asano: The president ordered ...... to "make more use of HD-2D," and we decided to think about remakes of past titles. We lined up a lineup of titles to see what we could come up with, and thought about "which titles should be played in HD-2D as fairly as possible", and brought them to the president at ....... It's not a winner-takes-all game (laughs).
Asano: I lined up all of them and gave a presentation saying that "Live Alive" was the most suitable. The second place went to "Actraiser".
From this exchange, we can see that Square Enix President Yosuke Matsuda wanted to increase the number of remakes using "HD-2D". In the process, a list of titles released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) by Square and Enix was compiled, and "Live Alive" was recommended as the most suitable title.
The "HD-2D" remake is a new direction for remakes and ports that can add a new appeal to games without losing the atmosphere of the dot pictures. Following "Live Alive" and "Dragon Quest III in HD-2D", we can expect to see more popular titles from the Square and Enix era released in "HD-2D".

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I know that people are probably going to shit on Actraiser Renaissance in this thread, but it is actually a really good game despite how it looks in the sidescrolling gameplay. The story they added to it is pretty good, and the translation by some of the FFXIV translators makes it even better.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Terranigma deserves the HD-2D treatment. Or just bring it in any form to the west. Please.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I know that people are probably going to shit on Actraiser Renaissance in this thread, but it is actually a really good game despite how it looks in the sidescrolling gameplay. The story they added to it is pretty good, and the translation by some of the FFXIV translators makes it even better.
Sorry, I cant agree that the remake was good, in any way except the soundtrack. Ignoring how it looks for a minute, the game didnt scroll smoothly (as confirmed by Digital Foundry), so the whole thing never really feels smooth when your playing, the tower defense stuff they added just kills the pace of the overworld stuff dead (it was never fun, and got worst the more I played), constantly breaking up gameplay with bad plot that I just started skipping after a while...

And when factoring the graphics - the main character and bosses look bizarrely low res, the baddie animations look like bad, the overworld looks like a cheap mobile title...

How I wish the game looked like how Live a Live looks, or Octopath, or heck even how the Final Fantasy pixel art games look.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
How about you give final fantasy the HD-2D treatment goddamnit

why is final fantasy getting mobile remasters while niche series get the more ambitious ones

Doctor_Xoa

Dec 16, 2019
My favorite graphical style/technique created in the past decade or so, so I suppose this is acceptable.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Please Square ignore that you just did the Pixel Remaster and do a full fat FF VI HD-2D

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Matsuda is giving thought to these kinds of remakes. Just hope his other initiative which is Forspoken does decently well, but given that the writers working on it have already shown their ass I'm conflicted if I should even support it or not. Thankfully this HD 2D initiative of Matsuda's is one I can wholeheartedly get behind.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Asanos team just came in and did Tokyo rpg factorys goal but actually good

And with different studios each time artdink acquire historia

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

why is final fantasy getting mobile remasters while niche series get the more ambitious ones

Why do HD-2D FFs straight away when they can sell new versions of the originals and then sell remakes later. Which might be the logic there.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Why do HD-2D FFs straight away when they can sell new versions of the originals and then sell remakes later. Which might be the logic there.

I hope you are right.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Yea any 2D HD FFs in the future are gonna use these PR releases as the base just hope when it does happen they re-add the GBA content back in.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I cant agree that the remake was good, in any way except the soundtrack. Ignoring how it looks for a minute, the game didnt scroll smoothly (as confirmed by Digital Foundry), so the whole thing never really feels smooth when your playing, the tower defense stuff they added just kills the pace of the overworld stuff dead (it was never fun, and got worst the more I played), constantly breaking up gameplay with bad plot that I just started skipping after a while...

And when factoring the graphics - the main character and bosses look bizarrely low res, the baddie animations look like bad, the overworld looks like a cheap mobile title...

How I wish the game looked like how Live a Live looks, or Octopath, or heck even how the Final Fantasy pixel art games look.
They strengthened the best part of the original Actraiser IMO. The god game elements were way more interesting than the side scrolling gameplay which was pretty standard fare in the SNES era and didn't hold up to many other games that did the same shit.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The radio interview is interesting since they said they basically went through mostly snes games to see what would be fitting.

Makes you wonder if ff and other stuff is off the table or...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I guess if they're focused on Super Famicom remakes HD-2D Chrono Trigger is more inevitable than ever. That and the DQ1 and 2 remakes Horri let slip about during that anniversary stream last year.

ActRaiser JUST got remade...
ActRaiser was Asano's runner-up choice when pitching Live A Live; obviously since his top pick was greenlit the clearance was given for ActRaiser to be remade in another form.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
...we could have gotten HD-2D ActRaiser?

I mean, ActRaiser Renaissance was great. But we could have gotten HD-2D ACTRAISER?!

I need a moment to cry.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
The radio interview is interesting since they said they basically went through mostly snes games to see what would be fitting.

Makes you wonder if ff and other stuff is off the table or...
I think FFs are siloed off to be deliberated and handled by the FF Board that they have internally at SE, I'm not sure who sist on that board/committee but I know YoshiP has a seat there.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I'm hoping for more obscure but cool stuff like Live A Live gets the HD-2D treatment. Bahamut Lagoon would be great.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

I can see them doing that over time. FF re-releases usually sell well so doing pixel remasters doesnt mean we wont get Remakes again.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the Soul Blazer games (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma) in HD-2D. Holy fuck.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The best use of HD-2D is to get games we never got in the west before tbh. All these games we have played a bunch of times are the most boring choices especially when Live A Live looks sick and we get to experience it for the first time in probably the best possible way.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
These HD2D remakes take a couple of years to make. Remaking FF1-6 would take ages, in the mean time they want to get those games on consoles. The Pixel Remaster approach makes sense and doesn't close the door for future remakes.

I think the most obvious choice for HD-2D now is FF Tactics.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
maybe the leaked FF9 remake is a HD-2D remake lol.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
I know it gets a bad rap but I'd love for them to do for Actraiser 2 what they did for Actraiser. Doesn't even have to be HD2D, just revamp it for a new generation.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears, please. It needs it so much more than Chrono Trigger. CT is already widely considered one of the top 5 JRPGs of all time. If not no. 1. That should be enough.

Anyway, talk about a missed opportunity re: Actraiser What's the point of remaking a game twice in quick succession?

tumblr_nh9pksqVMf1u6w1edo1_500.gifv

It probably is, too. Fuck.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Xenogears, please. It needs it so much more than Chrono Trigger. CT is already widely considered one of the top 5 JRPGs of all time. If not no. 1. That should be enough.

Anyway, talk about a missed opportunity re: Actraiser What's the point of remaking a game twice in quick succession?

tumblr_nh9pksqVMf1u6w1edo1_500.gifv

It probably is, too. Fuck.

Why would a 3D game get a 2D remake?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The best use of HD-2D is to get games we never got in the west before tbh. All these games we have played a bunch of times are the most boring choices especially when Live A Live looks sick and we get to experience it for the first time in probably the best possible way.
I mostly agree, though I think at least for Dragon Quest III it was a good pick since the west has never gotten a remake of that game that wasn't compromised in some large or small fashion before.

I love FFIX and how it looks but this would legitimately be really damned cool. Probably the only way a modern remake could be done in a reasonable timeframe, too.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I'm cool with lower budget games that never came westward (Treasure of the Rudras, Bahamut Lagoon, etc) getting the treatment, but a lot of the more well-known classics (Chrono Trigger, FFVI) deserve so much better than HD2D.